Extra draft picks..

I don't know if it was posted yet, but we also got extra draft picks with the hire of Coach Saleh.

Among the revisions to the Rooney Rule, the NFL agreed teams that help develop minority coaches and executives should be rewarded with additional draft picks and as a result of Saleh's hire the 49ers will receive two third-round compensatory draft picks.

• Thumb Down 2

It is a monumentally stupid rule for the most part only good or successful teams are going to get guys hired,

There are other ways to get more minorities involved.  Fun one coaching spot fro each team that must be filled by a new minority coach each year.  Fund coaching spots in college.

• Upvote 2

If they NFL gave picks to the hiring team that would be VERY problematic.  It would directly disadvantage non-minority candidates which would be very controversial, and fairly so I think.  Rewarding the developing team encourages them to hire diversely in the more junior positions, and doesn't influence the actual head coach and coordinator hirings as much.  The Jets had no direct benefit to hiring Saleh over, say Smith so it was a level playing field for them both.  You could argue that it potentially hurts non-diverse candidates in moving up into those more junior roles, but you have to start somewhere and I think if this is successful, then they won't need to keep doing it in a few years.  

FWIW, I think the Jets have shown to be the most race-blind organization in terms of head coach hires over the last 20 years.  Of course very few teams have hired as MANY head coaches in that time as we have to begin with so there's that.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

It is a monumentally stupid rule for the most part only good or successful teams are going to get guys hired,

There are other ways to get more minorities involved.  Fun one coaching spot fro each team that must be filled by a new minority coach each year.  Fund coaching spots in college.

seems racist.

Should be just hire the best to help your team win. 

29 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

He's not... he is an Arab-American.... Minorities are not just black

A minority group, by its original definition, refers to a group of people whose practices, race, religion, ethnicity, or other characteristics are lesser in numbers than the main groups of those classifications. However in present-day sociology, a minority group refers to a category of people who experience relative disadvantage as compared to members of a dominant social group. Minority group membership is typically based on differences in observable characteristics or practices, such as:  ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.  Wikipedia

2 hours ago, Jets1958 said:

A minority group, by its original definition, refers to a group of people whose practices, race, religion, ethnicity, or other characteristics are lesser in numbers than the main groups of those classifications. However in present-day sociology, a minority group refers to a category of people who experience relative disadvantage as compared to members of a dominant social group. Minority group membership is typically based on differences in observable characteristics or practices, such as:  ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, or disability.  Wikipedia

Yes thank you for proving my point... He is of Arab decent. 

9 hours ago, CapeCoralJetFan said:

Sorry. I thought that we got the picks for hiring him. That's why I don't post much. I guess I didn't read my "cut & Paste". I only "assumed" we got them. ( and I know what 'assumed" means) It makes a A** out of you & me. Sorry for being a A**

Welcome to the board, you're not being an a*s,

Posting misunderstandings...misinterpretations is one of our core strengths here.

Post away, you will figure it out.