2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

On 4/26/2021 at 12:59 PM, Warfish said:

You know people can make a patient, informed decision, and still make the wrong decision, right?

Fair enough, but there is a more than fair argument that he's already started to prove otherwise with his draft picks and free agent choices to-date. He's been great at trading away players for picks, unquestionably, but his resume to-date on player selection, obvious Becton pick being obvious aside, hasn't been terribly good. 

Of course, if his 2020 draft picks picks start producing in 2021, and his 2021 picks have some impact in 2021, and his shiny new 2021 free agent edge and WR produce like #1's at their respective spots, that will certainly change some perceptions of him. 

It's all in his hands right now.

I mean, obvious Becton pick being obvious isn't a thing, when you figure that he also could have: 1) traded up for Wills; or 2) taken Wirfs, both of which people on this board were advocating as better than Becton. Mims was a very good pick in round 2 (especially after the maneuvering) and Davis appears to have been a competent pick in round 3. Jury's out and trending negative on Zuniga, Perine, Morgan, and Clark (and that's 4 3rd or 4th rounders, so not good) but at the same time last year was a particularly tough one for developmental guys like Clark/Morgan who desperately needed a full offseason. Hall looks like a good pick in the fifth, and Mann obviously did well as a sixth rounder. UDFAs were pretty good (Guidry, Jackson, and Huff in particular). 

I hated the Perine pick and disliked the Morgan pick, but overall, I was pretty pleased with what he did in the draft last year. 

4 hours ago, BoogSportsGuy said:

I don't think it's a case of guessing right, but could be some loose lips on the end of Zach and his team. Obviously if he's the pick - the Jets have probably informed him (or as the report was told a while back, sold his family on the Jets and the moving forward plan). You can easily go to his dad's twitter and see multiple likes of Jets related content - even one recently being "3 days until the Jets select Zach Wilson" 

Nothing wrong with that, a family is excited their life is about to change for the better and they're thankfully showing the front of excitement and not despair. I do agree, it's a much tighter ship than the previous bozo, but things like this can happen with the draft because of the addition of the second party (in this case the draftee). 

It's also a case where the Jets just don't care if the info leaks. They're picking second, so the only way for someone to steal their guy after word got out would be for the Jags to take Wilson or some other team to trade up to 1 for him ... at which point they'd race up to the podium to select Trevor Lawrence, who would finally have a chip on his shoulder. There's really no negative outcome that can happen if this info gets out, which is why they'd have been willing to clue in the family in the first place. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I mean, obvious Becton pick being obvious isn't a thing, when you figure that he also could have: 1) traded up for Wills; or 2) taken Wirfs, both of which people on this board were advocating as better than Becton. Mims was a very good pick in round 2 (especially after the maneuvering) and Davis appears to have been a competent pick in round 3. Jury's out and trending negative on Zuniga, Perine, Morgan, and Clark (and that's 4 3rd or 4th rounders, so not good) but at the same time last year was a particularly tough one for developmental guys like Clark/Morgan who desperately needed a full offseason. Hall looks like a good pick in the fifth, and Mann obviously did well as a sixth rounder. UDFAs were pretty good (Guidry, Jackson, and Huff in particular). 

I hated the Perine pick and disliked the Morgan pick, but overall, I was pretty pleased with what he did in the draft last year. 

The sin was no so much on missing on some guys as you are never going to have a perfect draft.  The sin was not picking some really good and sensible prospects and instead drafting the misses.

We are talking about Wr in the 2nd and 3rd round who imo are not as good as 5ht and 6th round Wr last year.

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I mean, obvious Becton pick being obvious isn't a thing, when you figure that he also could have: 1) traded up for Wills; or 2) taken Wirfs, both of which people on this board were advocating as better than Becton.

I seem to recall both Wirfs and Wils had decent first years as well, didn't they?

Mims was a very good pick in round 2 (especially after the maneuvering)

TBD.  We know almost nothing as yet from his limited play so far.

and Davis appears to have been a competent pick in round 3.

Does he?  

Jury's out and trending negative on Zuniga, Perine, Morgan, and Clark (and that's 4 3rd or 4th rounders, so not good)

By "Jury's Out" you mean "did nothing at all in a year where a literal ballboy could have earned playing time.

Hall looks like a good pick in the fifth, and Mann obviously did well as a sixth rounder.

Aye.

UDFAs were pretty good (Guidry, Jackson, and Huff in particular). 

Who?

I think we see the draft class very differently through to today.  Who knows what tomorrow holds, of course.

On 4/26/2021 at 3:34 PM, jetstream23 said:

Douglas hired Saleh.  Douglas traded Darnold.

Douglas is choosing the QB at #2.  It's as simple as that.

If Saleh were choosing the QB it sounded like he would have stuck with Darnold and asked Douglas to parlay the #2 into a bunch of picks so he could get everything from an OT and WR to an Edge rusher and CB.

That ship has sailed.... and Joe Douglas is at the helm.

Iceberg dead ahead

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, football guy said:

I don't know what it says about Miami, but I believe this move is geared toward Washington approaching LT the way they have QB: acquire a bunch of stop-gaps and see who wins out. 

My guess is they're looking at Flowers as a competitor at LT against Lucas/Charles/Christian rather than a replacement for Wes Schweitzer

It says to me that Miami likes their offensive line.   They took three guys last year in Jackson (1st), Hunt (2d) and Kindley (4th).  All started and looked good.  When Kindley went out for a few games mid-season, they lost.  He looks like a real good player in their scheme.   I would say that I wanted us to take some of them, but I will not lie on the board.  I thought Jackson and Hunt were overdrafted and Kindley could not handle speed.  Since I hate the Fins, lets hope I was right and last season was a mirage. 

On 4/26/2021 at 5:55 PM, adobolo2 said:

Kirk Herbstreit is hopefull and thinks the jets still go Fields 

Wow these guys get paid for this crap. Such a completely vapid and insubstantial opinion without substance or merit. Essentially it boils down to Fields  was 1B going into the season, so he should be 1B coming out regardless of how others played or how many flaws  are seen in his game. It is really interesting that the non-analyst sports talking head opinions all seem to stem from this feeling of an affront that Fields could fall, and almost anger that their Fields/:Lawrence narrative has been upended. It is sort of lame. Will be so glad when this is all over.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I seem to recall both Wirfs and Wils had decent first years as well, didn't they?

Does he?  

By "Jury's Out" you mean "did nothing at all in a year where a literal ballboy could have earned playing time.

Aye.

Who?

I think we see the draft class very differently through to today.  Who knows what tomorrow holds, of course.

Any draft pick beyond the 2nd rd should not be expected to start or contribute in a meaningful way besides special teams in year 1. Only 25-30% of those players will ever develop into starters their entire career let alone as a rookie.  I would say even though Mims was out quite a bit he def showed a ton of promise while he was playing. I don't think it's a coincidence that in 2 games with Flacco he had 7 rec for 133 yds and in 7 games with Darnold he had 16 rec and 224 yds.

With better QB play Mims will turn some heads. Especially with a QB who can throw 50/50 balls down the field to utilize Mims tremendous catch radius, size and ball tracking ability better than Darnold was able to.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, choon328 said:

Any draft pick beyond the 2nd rd should not be expected to start or contribute in a meaningful way besides special teams in year 1.

Maybe if you're Green Bay, or Pittsburgh or New England.

When you're the talentless Jets, sorry, that's simply not true.  Talentless teams don't have this luxury.

With better QB play Mims will turn some heads. Especially with a QB who can throw 50/50 balls down the field to utilize Mims tremendous catch radius, size and ball tracking ability better than Darnold was able to.

We'll see.  That's the great thing, we get actual football with actual performance to evaluate how a guy did/does.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Maybe if you're Green Bay, or Pittsburgh or New England.

When you're the talentless Jets, sorry, that's simply not true.  Talentless teams don't have this luxury.

We'll see.  That's the great thing, we get actual football with actual performance to evaluate how a guy did/does.

Agree 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, clayton163v said:

It says to me that Miami likes their offensive line.   They took three guys last year in Jackson (1st), Hunt (2d) and Kindley (4th).  All started and looked good.  When Kindley went out for a few games mid-season, they lost.  He looks like a real good player in their scheme.   I would say that I wanted us to take some of them, but I will not lie on the board.  I thought Jackson and Hunt were overdrafted and Kindley could not handle speed.  Since I hate the Fins, lets hope I was right and last season was a mirage. 

Hunt's being moved to RG, leaving a hole at RT. They could take Sewell and move Jackson to RT (his college position), or just start Sewell there (his high school position). More likely, I think they target a RT later, stick to the plan and take a skill player at #6

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
My top 5 first-round picks in #Jets history (based on where they were picked and overall impact on the franchise): 1. Joe Namath, 1965 (1st AFL, 12th NFL) 2. Darrelle Revis, 2007 (14th) 3. Nick Mangold, ‘06 (29th) 4. Al Toon, ‘85 (10th) 5. D’Brickashaw Ferguson, ‘06 (4th)

Mangold and D'rick and people are adamant they do not want to double dip on the oline at 23 and 34

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
Antonio Brown’s one-year deal with the #Bucs is worth up to $6.25 million with $3.1M fully guaranteed, including a $2M signing bonus, per his agent @ed_waz of @EMGSportsAgents. A nice payday for the seven-time Pro Bowl WR -- and a chance to help Tampa Bay go for two.

The slimeballs just follow Brady around.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The sin was no so much on missing on some guys as you are never going to have a perfect draft.  The sin was not picking some really good and sensible prospects and instead drafting the misses.

We are talking about Wr in the 2nd and 3rd round who imo are not as good as 5ht and 6th round Wr last year.

Those two things are the same. If the guys Douglas had drafted in the 4th had hit, nobody would be complaining. So "I'm only complaining about the misses because there were other prospects available who could have been better picks" isn't meaningfully different from "he should have had a perfect draft"

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

They did, yes. But long term, pretty much everyone thought Becton had a higher ceiling; the concern was his floor. So that was the risk Douglas took in standing pat for Becton - that he'd be passing up a safer prospect at a position of huge need. That risk panned out - but that doesn't make it not a risk ab initio

Strong disagree. He showed good ability to get open against NFL coverages, good hands, and fought for balls. Good YAC, too. Need to see it more over time, but if you aren't encouraged by what you saw while he was on the field, especially given the limitations of the offense, I don't know what would have satisfied you

Does he?  

Yes. At worst he's a long-term backup safety and he's got real potential and obvious upside as a starter. Especially given the abbreviated offseason, I'm not sure how much more you could expect from a third round pick. I mean, take a look at who went in the third last year. No breakout stars, not a bastion of immediate starters (except Dantzler and Cushenberry) ... I think your expectations are out of whack.

That's exactly what I mean, given the coaching staff and lack of an offseason, yes. (Not to mention Zuniga is a much better fit in the 4-3 than 3-4). Interestingly, I think the guy who had the best season of the 4 (Perine) probably has the worst long-term outlook.

Who?

Javelin Guidry is our presumptive starter at slot CB, Lamar Jackson showed promise, and Bryce Huff has real upside as an edge rusher and played decently in limited time.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I think your expectations are out of whack.

And I think you're vastly overrating a pretty weak-so-far draft class with "but just wait till the future!" projections not based in any actual facts.

My evaluation is from the day they were drafted to now.  It's not projectionism or optimism or hopefulness or the like.  

So far, 1 COVID-effected-year in, most of them pretty much were non-entities (Mims, Davis, Hall) or didn't play (Morgan, Perine, Zuniga), and the unquestionably best one is very good, but is pretty much equal to the others at the same position drafted around the same time, and all were considered "obvious picks" for us at that slot.  JD would have had to have NOT picked OL in that spot to have actually blown that pick slot.  

Now, if Mims snags 10 TD's and 1,100 yards this year, that will change my evaluation of him, based on what he actually does, not what you or other fans hope he might one day do. 

Same for most of that class, as most were simply ineffective and unproductive in year 1.

25 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Those two things are the same. If the guys Douglas had drafted in the 4th had hit, nobody would be complaining. So "I'm only complaining about the misses because there were other prospects available who could have been better picks" isn't meaningfully different from "he should have had a perfect draft"

No the misses are that in a very very deep Wr draft and on a team with a big need at Wr he chose to take a 3rd sting QB, a sloe Rb and a small school olineman who showed nothing at all.  He also in the 3rd round took and edge rusher who never played and then later took a suspect punter.

All the while a host of good Wr prospects were take and a couple of good TE prospects.

Now this year we are speculating on taking WRs much earlier who are not as good as guys taken much later last year.

His draft management in certain parts of the draft was flat out poor.

The draft was at this point okay with a chance to be really good depending on Mims and Hall and ashtyn Davis.  It could have been a lot better.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Hunt's being moved to RG, leaving a hole at RT. They could take Sewell and move Jackson to RT (his college position), or just start Sewell there (his high school position). More likely, I think they target a RT later, stick to the plan and take a skill player at #6

If they take Pitts and Teven Jenkins they’ll be a tough ticket. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:
My top 5 first-round picks in #Jets history (based on where they were picked and overall impact on the franchise): 1. Joe Namath, 1965 (1st AFL, 12th NFL) 2. Darrelle Revis, 2007 (14th) 3. Nick Mangold, ‘06 (29th) 4. Al Toon, ‘85 (10th) 5. D’Brickashaw Ferguson, ‘06 (4th)

Brick over Marvin Powell?? Hell not a 1st rd pick but Winston Hill was better then Brick..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Mond in round 2 just as much upside as all these other clowns people are overrating (Wilson, Fields, Lance)

If you traded down, still got Pitts and Jenkins, and picked Mond, Trask or Mills in Rd 2, do we win fewer games with the Wilson plan?

I don't know about that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

If you traded down, still got Pitts and Jenkins, and picked Mond, Trask or Mills in Rd 2, do we win fewer games with the Wilson plan?

I don't know about that. 

Wilson with this crap roster?  Only way next Fall will be an even bigger sh tshow is if Darnold looks good in Carolina in addition to us sucking again

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Four #ManginiPicks

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1