3 Reasons the Jets Must Keep Darnold

STLuLu

2 hours ago, STLuLu said:

That's how GMs get fired. What owner is gonna sit by and watch his GM waste draft picks year after year trying to find a dimond in the rough?

The owner of the Cardinals, who allowed his GM (Steve Keim) to draft Josh Rosen in 2018 and then Kyler Murray in 2019?

It's not a "diamond in the rough" GM's are looking for.  It's a competent, pro-ready starter, which Rosen was billed to be.  It didn't work out, but they made it work not by doubling down on a failure but by "failing quickly", getting rid of him, and drafting a different one.

An owner who gives his GM that kind of leash is far more likely to find success than the one that demands his GM to continue honor a sunken cost at QB and try to build around a bad QB.  That's how you get a situation like the Bears, where they kept trying with Trubisky for 4 years and are now stuck with Nick Foles as their projected Week 1 starter in 2021.  Or the early 2010's Jets, who kept trying to build around Mark Sanchez.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

this is why we suck as a organization.

Arizonas new coach knew right away Rosen sucked. there was no...oh he had a bad coach, ...oh he only had one year...blah..blah..blah. not like us who some of you are trying to find every excuse in the book to keep him. we have seen 3 years of horrible play. you need another one from Darnold?

and the contract? if he stays this year he gets a 5th year extension for 25 million. i dont know much about the cap but were going to be responsible for some of that if Sam is traded. and if your Woody do you want to pay him 25 mil after what you seen the last 3 years. yeah hes a billionaire but hes not stupid.

and if we draft a QB then Sam MUST GO!!!!! there is no way we want Sams voice in the ear of our new rookie QB. what is he going to teach him, how to spot ghosts when you play the Patriots? and if you sign a vet then your not keeping Sam as a 3rd QB. in fact i dont think we went all year with 3 QBs on the game day roster.

lets have some class, which i think JD does and trade Sam away if he drafts a new QB. dont humiliate the kid and make him train his replacement.

Sam is going to have his best trade value right now. even if many of you are not happy with it cause you live in dream world thinking your getting a 1 or a 2 for Sam straight up. if we can get the Wentz trade we should take it. were not getting better. keep Sam and he sucks again and were not even getting a 5th rd pick for a QB who sucks for 4 year, and has 1 year and 25 mil left on his contract.

and the best reason to get rid of Sam..... Flacco was 10 x better

how come Flacco was throwing downfield and Sam with the same roster didnt. for 3 years all we seen from Sam are these short dip and dunks. does he not have the arm strength ? can he not read the defense? something is up with that. sorry Sam time to go

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sam is better than any Qb not named Trevor Lawrence in this draft * * * 

agreed !  ?.. which is why, imho,..he will be our starting qb this season ( unless Lawrence is still on the board when it's our turn to pick. oh, Lawrence will be gone by the time it's our turn to pick  ? ).   

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold's lack of experience playing QB prior to the pros was the # 1 contributor to him being the youngest starter.  The conclusion to that isn't that those QB's like that need more time to develop in the pros.  The conclusion that should be reached is you don't draft those players high in the first place.  He didn't play QB in High School and had less than 20 collegiate starts.  Those create enormous problems when you're getting ready to draft a QB.

The NFL isn't the place to be learning QB like a newbie that Darnold was.  Basic understanding of pre-snap reads, which Darnold lacks, has to start getting developed when you're much younger.  He should have stayed in school another year, for sure.  

As much as I like Darnold as a kid and think he deserves a chance, you are spot on with that assessment. He should have never been drafted to begin with, with such a short body of work. But he is ours, and as much as we treat people in the NFL like playing cards, we owe it to this kid to give him one last year to see if he can develop under a PROPER coaching staff. That's not saying he deserves to be handed the job, just given the opportunity. I believe if there wasn't a change from Bates and McCown, to Gase you would have seen much better development from him, then under GASE. I'm only saying that with the preface of Macc building some kind of O-Line as well lol...

6 hours ago, doitny said:

this is why we suck as a organization.

Arizonas new coach knew right away Rosen sucked. there was no...oh he had a bad coach, ...oh he only had one year...blah..blah..blah. not like us who some of you are trying to find every excuse in the book to keep him. we have seen 3 years of horrible play. you need another one from Darnold?

and the contract? if he stays this year he gets a 5th year extension for 25 million. i dont know much about the cap but were going to be responsible for some of that if Sam is traded. and if your Woody do you want to pay him 25 mil after what you seen the last 3 years. yeah hes a billionaire but hes not stupid.

and if we draft a QB then Sam MUST GO!!!!! there is no way we want Sams voice in the ear of our new rookie QB. what is he going to teach him, how to spot ghosts when you play the Patriots? and if you sign a vet then your not keeping Sam as a 3rd QB. in fact i dont think we went all year with 3 QBs on the game day roster.

lets have some class, which i think JD does and trade Sam away if he drafts a new QB. dont humiliate the kid and make him train his replacement.

Sam is going to have his best trade value right now. even if many of you are not happy with it cause you live in dream world thinking your getting a 1 or a 2 for Sam straight up. if we can get the Wentz trade we should take it. were not getting better. keep Sam and he sucks again and were not even getting a 5th rd pick for a QB who sucks for 4 year, and has 1 year and 25 mil left on his contract.

and the best reason to get rid of Sam..... Flacco was 10 x better

how come Flacco was throwing downfield and Sam with the same roster didnt. for 3 years all we seen from Sam are these short dip and dunks. does he not have the arm strength ? can he not read the defense? something is up with that. sorry Sam time to go

That's why I believe Darnold's ultimate fate will lie in the hands of Saleh and Lafleur, while JD will input his opinion, but ultimately those 2 will be making the decision on whether Sam stays or goes...

If we do plan on drafting a QB, then I agree, Sam should be traded.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

That's why I believe Darnold's ultimate fate will lie in the hands of Saleh and Lafleur, while JD will input his opinion, but ultimately those 2 will be making the decision on whether Sam stays or goes...

If we do plan on drafting a QB, then I agree, Sam should be traded.

I thank the lord daily that no one on this message board is making this decision 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

As much as I like Darnold as a kid and think he deserves a chance, you are spot on with that assessment. He should have never been drafted to begin with, with such a short body of work. But he is ours, and as much as we treat people in the NFL like playing cards, we owe it to this kid to give him one last year to see if he can develop under a PROPER coaching staff. That's not saying he deserves to be handed the job, just given the opportunity. I believe if there wasn't a change from Bates and McCown, to Gase you would have seen much better development from him, then under GASE. I'm only saying that with the preface of Macc building some kind of O-Line as well lol...

Never should have been drafted?  Monday morning scouting on full display now. 99% of all internet mocks, ex-coaches, ex-GMs, Ex-scouts all had Darnold as a top 5 pick (similar to what we are seeing now w/Wilson).  

What was the % in favor here when he was picked?  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Never should have been drafted?  Monday morning scouting on full display now. 99% of all internet mocks, ex-coaches, ex-GMs, Ex-scouts all had Darnold as a top 5 pick (similar to what we are seeing now w/Wilson).  

What was the % in favor here when he was picked?  

Well, since there is no record of my choice because I never posted my thoughts much back then, there's no way for anyone to believe what I say now so it doesn't really matter, but I did want Allen the most. I also liked Mayfield a lot as well. That said I was not unhappy with us taking Darnold and if you notice I'm one of the few on this board that is willing to give him another shot. 

• Thumb Down 1

The NFL is about winning one score games late in the 4th quarter. Sam has three 4th quarter comebacks and four game winning drives in three years. I think only one of those was in the two minute drill. He stinks in clutch time. 

3 Fourth Quarter Comebacks, 4 Game-Winning Drives

Rk Year G# Date Age Tm   Opp Result Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD Notes
1 2018 13 2018-12-09 21-187 NYJ @ BUF W 27-23 16 24 66.67 170 1 1 83.7 7.08 6.04 4 10 2.50 0 4QC / GWD
Rk Year G# Date Age Tm   Opp Result Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD Notes
2 2019 9 2019-11-10 22-158 NYJ   NYG W 34-27 19 30 63.33 230 1 0 97.9 7.67 8.33 3 25 8.33 1 4QC / GWD
3 2019 13 2019-12-08 22-186 NYJ   MIA W 22-21 20 36 55.56 270 2 1 86.6 7.50 7.36 3 3 1.00 0 4QC / GWD
4 2019 16 2019-12-29 22-207 NYJ @ BUF W 13-6 23 36 63.89 199 1 1 76.0 5.53 4.83 3 -2 -0.67 0 GWD
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Jet Nut said:

If you think the Jet record over the last 3 years is all because of Darnold, no youre not

The QB stirs the drink. 

There were undrafted,no-name QB's who were ranked higher than Sam Darnold who also put up better numbers. 

I want Sam Darnold to succeed here and deliver but so far I haven't seen it. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The QB stirs the drink. 

There were undrafted,no-name QB's who were ranked higher than Sam Darnold who also put up better numbers. 

I want Sam Darnold to succeed here and deliver but so far I haven't seen it. 

As I said, big picture

The team has sucked, the coaching has sucked, no one would have succeeded the last 3 years.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

That you seem to think the Jets were a good team that was brought down by their QB.  

That you keep repeating the team record and thinking its all Darnold.

Sam Darnold has been the QB for 3 years he has regressed every year. 

Coaching or a better roster will not fix dumb mistakes. 

Name 3 things he's good at that would give us hope he can be that franchise QB we all want. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Darnold has been the QB for 3 years he has regressed every year. 

Coaching or a better roster will not fix dumb mistakes. 

Name 3 things he's good at that would give us hope he can be that franchise QB we all want. 

I can start with size, arm, mobility.  I'd love to see that with a NFL roster around him, with a competent coaching staff around him, calling NFL caliber player before just repeating the Jets record over and over again 

Im not arguing that he hasnt struggled.  Im arguing that its dumb to try and stick the Jets record solely on the QB.  You can stick with that one, im not.  

There's no debate that the Jets screwed Darnold.  Whether it's not properly developing him or not surrounding him with players to succeed. What might be debatable is how much is on Darnold.  The question is whether there's higher upside keeping him or going with a top rookie QB.  You do have to factor in what he's shown so far and that he's in the last year of his contract with an expensive 5th year option he hasn't earned.

• Upvote 1

I never liked USC QBs to begin with especially if coming to North East teams like Jets.

My problem with Sam Darnold is that he is not a smart QB. I would think no matter who the coach is he would learn on his own by just watching other QBs and film.

Never sets the correct blocking protection.

Never checks to the correct play call.

Runs out of bounds instead of throwing the ball away.

Throws across body in coverage instead of throwing out of bounds.

Does anyone really think he is going to get smarter?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I can start with size, arm, mobility.

He has a weak arm.

His mobility comes from running for his life he isn't the most athletic QB when running. 

He's a pocket passer who excels when rolling out. 

I hope he fixes all thats wrong and the NY Jets surround him with talent so we can win a few Super Bowls. 

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He has a weak arm.

His mobility comes from running for his life he isn't the most athletic QB when running. 

He's a pocket passer who excels when rolling out. 

I hope he fixes all thats wrong and the NY Jets surround him with talent so we can win a few Super Bowls. 

If you think he has a weak arm its time to check out.  I stopped there.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If you think he has a weak arm its time to check out.  I stopped there.  

You have your opinions and I have mine. 

13-25 record as a starting QB in the NFL. 

Fact. 

maybe surround the kid with some better talent and he improves.maybe not. 

Have a nice day. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You have your opinions and I have mine. 

13-25 record as a starting QB in the NFL. 

Fact. 

Have a nice day. 

Darnold having a weak arm isnt an opinion.  

The incessant repeating of the Jet record and blaming it on Darnold isnt fact.  

You have a nice day though.

On 2/18/2021 at 9:03 PM, Augustiniak said:

At what point does everyone evaluate darnold by what he does on the field and not by what people think he can be?

Probably at the same point when everyone evaluates the entire team has performed on the field and not by what people think Darnold should do in spite of itself?

As Aristotle said; as the man is, so he sees.

Wouldn’t that be something if the actual plan was to trade Sam, trade down and run with Morgan? Obviously bring in a vet too  but that’s pretty much off most people’s radar. 

It’s my belief that a lot of the QB decision rest on just how good or bad is Morgan. As I have said in other post, we just don’t know, as there has been so little information on his progress or lack of. JD drafted him so obviously he like what he saw in him. Can he be the starter, that would allow us to trade Sam and even trade out of the 2 spot to really bring in a haul of picks over the next two years. If we bring in a solid Veteran, so many to chose from, to back him up or start if he is not ready. Then draft another development QB in the lower rounds, to allow us to finally rebuild the team from the ground up, using the draft. I’m not opposed to keeping Sam for one more year to see if a strong O line and solid talent RB, WR, to surround him with can make the difference. Yet, not thrilled with any of the QB talent after TL, and think there is great risk pick a QB at 2 this year as opposed to a trade down to fill other needs.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app