Jets 2021 Offseason: "Protection & Playmakers" (Pre-Free Agency Mock)

7 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Just curious how you think that plays out exactly. Do they decline his option, have him play this year and then re-sign him? Or decline the option and extend him before the 2021 season? I think this board would flip if they give him 50+ million contract before the season. Thanks for the input and your opinions as always. 

They would probably sign him to an extension before they have to make a decision on his option, making it null and void

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, football guy said:

I toyed with Chazz Surratt on Day 2 - who I've heard the Jets took interest to at the Senior Bowl. Ultimately it came down to a numbers game. They grab 2 guys on Day 3 who can very well develop into starters/key contributors. 

It's funny you mention that because Chazz Surratt is someone I have been keeping an eye on myself for a while now.  

I didn't know they were looking at him at the senior bowl but he is a really interesting player and in a few of the mocks I did in the mock draft thread on the draft forum had him on there in the late 3rd I believe. 

He fits the mold of what I think Saleh likes in his LB's... He's a former QB at NC so he has a view of the game that a lot of LB's dont have, and with only 2 years under his belt he made some major strides at the position.  I think theres a lot of upside still with him as he learns the position and athletically he's perfect as a 3 down LB for a 4-3.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Love the post - thank you - and easier said then done but please don't let the doubters limit your posting - there are a lot of people on this site that really value your perspective (I am one) and enjoy your posts. 

In general I'd be pretty pleased with this offseason! I am in the draft a QB camp, but if we came out of the draft with Waddle & Pitts I just would be so fired up I almost wouldn't care. My one concern with Waddle is his size and future injuries, but if his medical checks out I think he is right there with Smith and Chase. 

Which brings me to my next point, interesting in your mock Devonta Smith is available and you chose Waddle. My concern with Waddle>Smith in your scenario is having Juju on the team I think he and Waddle would operate best out of the slot. Now Smith may ultimately end up doing the same in the NFL but I'm more comfortable projecting him outside than Waddle. I'm sure the new coaching staff would figure it out but interesting to see Smith fall and Jets preferring Waddle to Smith. 

The one part I don't see happening is the Maye deal. $13.75mm per year and four years were definitely over what I anticipated in my mind. I like Maye, but I think he and Davis would be best in the FS spot, and I think if Maye ultimately is a $13+ mm a year player the Jets should transition or franchise tag him for a year. 

I think the way you approached CB is how the Jets will do it. Grab a bunch of middle class guys and figure it out from there. One option I would love for them to explore is trading 34 for Lattimore. 

I think JD will take a bigger swing at edge than Derek Barnett and a mid 2nd rounder. I love Waddle - but my guess would be JD would prioritize an edge with that pick (Kwitty Paye available in your mock) than a WR? I don't know much about Tyron, so I guess it would depend on how much they value WRs available in the 2nd (hope for guys like Bateman or Moore - but likely guys like Amon Ra St-Brown or Terrence Marshall) vs Edges in the 2nd. 

I think if we went the OL route you lay out we cut Alex Lewis. GVR seems to be a better scheme fit, and Lewis would be $5mm of savings. 

Overall, I think I'd go into next season just happy as can be that the Jets have really fun weapons for the first time in a long time. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Interesting. Lot of work went into this... and I appreciate your declaration that is what you think might happen, vs want.... which I think gets lots often in this discussions when people essentially "disagree" with you... and you're like - dude, I don't necessarily want all of this, it's just what tea leaves are telling me...

Couple thoughts

• FA class seems possible... though JuJu I think is closer to have to take a prove it deal than get a 50 mill contract. He's essentially been "meh" for 2 out of 4 season. 
  • Don't like Marlon Mack and at all. He's not a natural talent at RB... He left USF prematurely to get paid, I think he'll follow the money in FA too. 
  • Dig the general resignings and pursuit of Linsley.
  • I'm still in the "just take Fields" camp - more from a "are you really going to find a better chance to address the position", but a,lso understand the thinking behind Darnold... Wilson is no. If we take Wilson, he better "it"... for them to take Wilson and it not work out: indefensible. You better be willing the stake your career that he won't bust. Cause otherwise, fck that guy. 
  • Taking Pitts and Waddle in lieu of Fields would be easily forgivable for me, mostly cause I masturbate in my Florida Pitts and I'm ready to switch over to doing the same in a Jets Pitts jersey. (i should invest in apron)
  • I love Waddle, no way vs Smith... but i understand this is based on what the tea leaves are saying.  
  • Personal take -- Kelvin Joseph>>>St. Juste... hopefully the Jets come around.
  • Spencer Brown is good... but Cade Johnson... he might have been the biggest loser as they say from senior bowl. 
  • But.
  • But...
  • BUT....
  • My biggest problem (and i hope to god this you not what you're hearing) is spending a 4th rnd pick in RB javian Hawkins.... he is at best a roll of the dice to even have a career in the nfl, let alone be yet another day 3 wasted pick on a RB I would take anyone over Hawkins. No vision, no sense of timing and just a wandering gadget player that will flattened in the NFL... Harsh, but I can't deal with another year of watching someone else select Kareem Hunt, Aaron Jones, James Robinson (who our team even met with) Dalvin Cook, etc etc while we Fck around at the position. Hawkins my least favorite RB of the draft. 

Cade had some nice reps at the senior bowl, but i left watching that film slightly disappointed.  The thing is I do think he can develop really nicely because the stuff I was hoping to see is coachable, but there were certainly others at the senior bowl I liked better.  

Everything else here you're hit or miss with me lol We're not totally in lock step this year like usual.  Just on the sleepers 

Cant see Darnold being here. Makes no sense. Would be as dumb as Macc having gone with Geno as his starter in his 1st year as GM.  JD needs to make his own mark and get his own QB.  We are in prime position to get a QB @ #2 or see if we can work out a reasonable trade for Watson.  Having that #2 pick is gold and the Texans can have their pick of QB's not named Trevor.  That's a huge advantage for us. If we cant work out a trade, go with Fields or Wilson or trade back a bit and take Lance.  QB should be the #1 priority in this draft. We are not picking this high anytime soon again and it will cost much more to get a QB next year.

Outrageous post with incredible detail @football guy.  I'll focus on a different area the LB's,
a couple of questions:

- How confident is the team in Mosley coming back and can he be effective in a 4-3?

- Hewitt being let go is surprising, do they doubt his speed/range in a 4-3?

- Are Matt Milano and Kenny Young favorites of Saleh and the new defensive staff?
Based on their frames they seem like ideal OLB fits 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

Firstly, I want to apologize for some of my long-winded and in some cases aggressive posts over the past month. Unfortunately I let some of the members of this site get under my skin too often. Part of it is because I think some of the attacks and skepticism has been unwarranted, part of it is an old-school “say it to my face” (lol sigh) mentality, but mostly it’s because I hate the social media culture being established and accepted - not just here, but everywhere. I can be a defensive person. Always has been the case. My girlfriend used to say that I was “addicted to conflict.” Can’t say I totally disagree lol. The truth is that my defensiveness has nothing to do with having disagreements; I encourage debate---iron sharpens iron. The defensiveness has everything to do with attacks on reputation and intolerance to freedom of thought, not the topics themselves. With that said, I hope to let bygones be bygones.

I create my mock drafts based on what I think, not necessarily what I want. I cross reference things with my own sources as well as media sources. Been compiling this for a while, so in order to minimize the clutter I won't include blurbs why I performed a certain transaction. Happy to answer any questions though. 

2021 New York Jets Offseason

image.thumb.png.3c55386b6e4cffa79252964b0b3f2ab1.png

image.thumb.png.23be002676258339928aa5a1c80490e3.png

image.png.a42a7c0a5bd4f7c7a00ef21b81e48645.png

image.png.d7c820bf0d03c4079ef4ab3155058ecc.png

Roster Size: 90

Key Takeaways

• Media will continue speculating a Sam Darnold trade, but I'm convinced the Jets don't want to trade him. Unless a QB like Zach Wilson blows them out of the water, or Deshaun Watson is made available, I still believe what I was told at the onset of the offseason: 60-40 Jets keep Darnold. Why? Well for one he can do things that many QBs are not capable of doing, evidenced by the clip below. Secondly, the team feels he has so much untapped potential and are bullish on his ability to make a Josh Allen-like turnaround in the new offense. Thirdly, value. They can get so much in a trade for #2 that it's hard for them to pass up. Days of the traditional "draft a QB, he's your guy for 15 years" are over. You can acquire a QB in free agency or trade and they can get you to the promised land. Guys who used to be discarded as busts are going to have awakenings. All of those reasons are just a few why I believe Sam will be returning. 
  • Sources indicate to me that the expectation is that JuJu Smith-Schuster will ultimately wind up with the Jets. If not him, they may not have a flattering of a FA WR addition as once speculated, with a combo of Kendrick Bourne and Marquise Goodwin as an alternate outcome. Apparently teams are hot for Curtis Samuel, and while the Jets would really like him, it sounds like there will be a lot of competition for him. 
  • I have the Jets signing Derek Barnett to a Leonard Floyd-like contract, but I can see them trading for him as well. 
  • I think the Jets will sign Corey Linsley and move Connor McGovern to G. 
  • I think Joe Douglas will finally make due on his promise to surround Sam with "protection and playmakers" this offseason, while acquiring future draft capital to either address QB or continue building up the OL/defense. 
  • I expect the Jets to have an open competition at LG between Greg Van Roten, Pat Elflein, Alex Lewis, Cameron Clark, and Jack Anderson. Spencer Brown will likely take over at RT in 2022 if the Jets come away impressed with his development, otherwise they could look into drafting another guy in 2022. 
  • If this is in fact the outcome, I have a hard time believing any Jets fan would come away being "disappointed"... understandably people have personal preferences, but easy to see how this unit would be among the most vastly improved skill position groups in the NFL:  

image.png.f9da12bef5f5b70a327d00ca24b9c9b6.png

This post was a Kingman blast. Way to go. Apologizes weren't needed. Ya got that off your chest though. So that's good.My only wish is that if Carolina is our trading partner, i would want Brian Burns. Perfect edge rusher in Saleh's defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I’m just so tired of going into a season by waving a white flag of competitiveness before it even starts. That’s what you do by retaining Sam and giving him the starting job, which he hasn’t earned. Being drafted high doesn’t earn you anything. I always appreciate the effort put into these things, but I just can’t get behind this as a fan. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Key Takeaways

• ....You can acquire a QB in free agency or trade and they can get you to the promised land. Guys who used to be discarded as busts are going to have awakenings. All of those reasons are just a few why I believe Sam will be ...

This is something I’ve been wondering for some time. When do teams stop searching for the next big thing (trading tons of assets) at QB and just start building teams where almost any QB can be successful? The Colts are the first team to kind of attempt this. They’ve made the playoffs 2 of the last three years and have had a different QB each time. Now they have a 4th QB.

They’re taking a conservative approach to finding their FQB. As opposed to locking themselves into a lottery ticket and forced to stick with him for 4 or 5 years, they are just churning QB’s. Eventually they are going to hit.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I know the team is high on Pitts and Waddle. I don't know how realistic it is for them to land both, but just looking at last year's class it's certainly possible that he falls to 17 (hell CeeDee did why can't Waddle?) 

Waddle, JuJu, and Pitts would all figure to be moveable chess pieces in this offense. It will be interesting to see how they use Mims; he kind of profiles similar to Miles Austin/Josh Gordon/Julio Jones, all of which had roles created for them as X receivers. I kind of foresee similar usage for Mims with a lot of designed plays over the middle with the occasional contested throw downfield 

We could take Waddle at #8. I think i saw you having Parsons at #3. He has some very serious character issues. That could really cause him to slide. Big time.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Taking Pitts and Waddle in lieu of Fields would be easily forgivable for me, mostly cause I masturbate in my Florida Pitts jersey and I'm ready to switch over to doing the same in a Jets Pitts jersey. (i should invest in apron)

Anyone who says we aren’t the most passionate fan base is full of sh*t!

We love our team like Buffalo Bill loves fat girls.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

This is something I’ve been wondering for some time. When do teams stop searching for the next big thing (trading tons of assets) at QB and just start building teams where almost any QB can be successful? The Colts are the first team to kind of attempt this. They’ve made the playoffs 2 of the last three years and have had a different QB each time. Now they have a 4th QB.

They’re taking a conservative approach to finding their FQB. As opposed to locking themselves into a lottery ticket and forced to stick with him for 4 or 5 years, they are just churning QB’s. Eventually they are going to hit.

I remember when Philly won it with Foles...and Foles did well again in the playoffs the next year.

I said it then...Philly should have traded Wentz (would have gotten an absolute haul for him).

Sometimes you just need the right QB for your team. If you have a GM & HC that builds a full complete team consistently, you can win without the superstar QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Cade had some nice reps at the senior bowl, but i left watching that film slightly disappointed.  The thing is I do think he can develop really nicely because the stuff I was hoping to see is coachable, but there were certainly others at the senior bowl I liked better.  

Everything else here you're hit or miss with me lol We're not totally in lock step this year like usual.  Just on the sleepers 

Go on... i'm listening... where is the divide? 

Cade's just not special i guess. and this year has an abundance of inside guys... like i've never seen this many in one class. There's not enough room in the NFL to support this many imo

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Cade's just not special i guess. and this year has an abundance of inside guys... like i've never seen this many in one class. There's not enough room in the NFL to support this many imo

the biggest split is wilson vs. fields for me.  I've watched the film and I am more on the side of wilson than fields albiet i think fields gets a worse wrap than he deserves.  I understand the trepidation a lot of people have with wilson, I just see to many good things on film. Tomato tomato though (which doesnt look like what i want it to when its typed lol).  

Smith and waddle is something I'm torn on.  I would have loved waddle to show out this year like I think he's capable of.  But I think for this offense he's a better fit than Smith, and I really like Smith.  But I can understand why the tea leaves are probably reading 1. Chase 2. Waddle in terms of wrs on the board. 

• Haha 1

I think we have at least one more year until this team is competitive. I love loading up on offense and giving Sam a shot. I would still trade for Watson if it’s ok the table, but if not, this is the way to go. I would go even farther and trade Sam for a first if offered and sign a stop gap. It really depends what the vision is for the team next year and what kind of leash JD has to build this team from the bottom up. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chrebetfan80 said:

the biggest split is wilson vs. fields for me.  I've watched the film and I am more on the side of wilson than fields albiet i think fields gets a worse wrap than he deserves.  I understand the trepidation a lot of people have with wilson, I just see to many good things on film. Tomato tomato though (which doesnt look like what i want it to when its typed lol).  

Smith and waddle is something I'm torn on.  I would have loved waddle to show out this year like I think he's capable of.  But I think for this offense he's a better fit than Smith, and I really like Smith.  But I can understand why the tea leaves are probably reading 1. Chase 2. Waddle in terms of wrs on the board. 

Fields is starting to remind me of Bridgewater. Everyone was all over him until he was drafted late first round by the Vikings. He may be worth a trade up for a team like the Jets if he falls that far. 

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

we'll always have davidson though ? lolol 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Outrageous post with incredible detail @football guy.  I'll focus on a different area the LB's,
a couple of questions:

- How confident is the team in Mosley coming back and can he be effective in a 4-3?

- Hewitt being let go is surprising, do they doubt his speed/range in a 4-3?

- Are Matt Milano and Kenny Young favorites of Saleh and the new defensive staff?
Based on their frames they seem like ideal OLB fits 

Personally? I'm not so sure how Mosley will turn out. We're talking a lot of missed games with him. 

I think Saleh is going to want to bring in guys he likes best for his D. Hewitt is a bit redundant and is probably only a MLB in this scheme, which is occupied by Mosley. 

I've heard Milano will be a target. Only thing I know is that his LB coach in Buffalo and Saleh worked together. But Joe Douglas has some envy of the Bills, and his blueprint of how he wanted to build the team/coaching staff is very much in their image. So maybe he's been keeping a close eye on some of their players too? Kenny Young is a guy who is too good to cut, but may be a little too expensive as a backup LB on a team who needs to shed salary. He was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens (some of our FO guys are from there) and was recruited by Ulbrich. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I feel you.... I think the way i come across on things like Wilson is more a representation of what i feel is inaccurate assesments or manufactured criticism for Fields. I think Wilson on his own, is QB3 and a tantalizing prospect to develop. I get it... I don't think he's a lock to bloom, but there's good reason to put your faith in him... but when you start saying - yea he's BETTER than the guy who just kicked ass in the big 10 and in the playoffs and has shown you nearly everything you want and get from similar players like Watson -- then i start getting irritated. "sorry, why is wilson better than this? Oh because he threw hero balls under no pressure while tracked the receiver for 6 seconds through his route... Yea ok"

Anyway, I thought Smith was the best of the 4 in 2019, hasn't changed since. He's savvy smooth and a natural. Tacticians >> homerun hitters. That's history speaking. 

This is a polarizing year. I think we probably agree on most things, but its fine if we don't on Fields-Wilson... The disrespect out there on twitter and media for Smith... shake my damn head. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

i think my main gripe with this is relying on marlon mack to stay healthy. otherwise we are looking at adams and the 3rd round rookie to man the backfield?

I honestly don't know if he'd even make the team. I just think the Jets bring him in. 

For what its worth, I think Ty Johnson shocks us and becomes the 1A this season. Match made in heaven in this scheme

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

interestingly aggressive draft.  Moving down and up several times to target guys instead of a volume of picks.  Also nicely stacking the next few years with extra selections. 

I do agree the idea of moving down from 2 seems like the smartest move.  If you are adding pitts and waddle to your offense thats two potential premiere playmakers at positions of need.  Then factor in if herndon can figure it out and mims takes the next step.  There will be no shortage of playmaking options for the team and you can easily continue to build around.  

Surprised no additional consideration was given to adding another LB during the middle rounds though, there are some good options there and I think you can get value. 

I hope they do that (if Watson is not in the mix). It would show the team realizes the impracticality of trying to accumulate too many picks in too short a span. Better to cherry-pick their very favorites; it’s harder to hit on 6 of 6 first rounders that include lower picks than it is to hit on 4 of 4 with higher ones. Trade down from #2 to generate the ammo to move up from #23.

But if they decide to keep Darnold, only to then trade Crowder for a 4th rounder (or cut him outright) - his favorite target by far for 2 years running - I’m not quite as behind that. I’m still confused by the desire to jettison Crowder. Especially when the team’s got plenty of extra picks & cap space in the first place. You want to remove all excuses for Darnold? Give him the above WR corps without dumping Crowder: Juju, Mims, Crowder, Pitts. One hopes after 2020 Douglas learns that experienced depth isn’t some unnecessary luxury. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I hope they do that (if Watson is not in the mix). It would show the team realizes the impracticality of trying to accumulate too many picks in too short a span. Better to cherry-pick their very favorites; it’s harder to hit on 6 of 6 first rounders that include lower picks than it is to hit on 4 of 4 with higher ones. Trade down from #2 to generate the ammo to move up from #23.

But if they decide to keep Darnold, only to then trade Crowder for a 4th rounder (or cut him outright) - his favorite target by far for 2 years running - I’m not quite as behind that. I’m still confused by the desire to jettison Crowder. Especially when the team’s got plenty of extra picks & cap space in the first place. You want to remove all excuses for Darnold? Give him the above WR corps without dumping Crowder: Juju, Mims, Crowder, Pitts. One hopes after 2020 Douglas learns that experienced depth isn’t some unnecessary luxury. 

I agree that it seems counterproductive to keep Darnold and then jettison his favorite WR.  But I do understand what @football guy reasoning behind it is.  In that offseason plan you are adding players that are occupying the same role in the offense as Crowder.  Factor in Crowder is on the last year of his deal, and the move would save 10 mil towards the cap,  I can see why the move would be made.  Also take into account that Juju and Sam have chemistry from their USC days (Juju has alluded to this before) so while yes you are taking away his most productive WR.  You are adding a depth of players for him to grow with, giving him some familiarity as well. 

Also like was stated before dont discount Berrios.  he may not be an all star player, but he showed nice chemistry with Sam last year as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, football guy said:

Comes down to availability. I think the Jets are prepared to give the offense to Sam for 2021 and see how he plays. If he swims, great. If he sinks, they have the resources to find a new guy in 2022

Maybe.  I think I’d rather see more oline resources.moving McGovern to guard and getting a top center will certainly help. I’d also want then to draft a solid QBs prospect.