Saleh Having a Press Conference Tomorrow AT 12:15

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thats not the point.  The Jets numerous times have gone from bad to relevant in 1 offseason.  Anyone gm w/ a check book can do that.

What is it about "long term success" do jet fans not understand?

This is month one of a ground up rebuild.  Be prepared for the most awesome 4-12 season imaginable!!!!

Winning games in the NFL is what its all about nothing else matters. 

No one looks at anything else but wins and losses. 

The ultimate goal is winning the Super Bowl. 

Actions speak louder than words. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thats not the point.  The Jets numerous times have gone from bad to relevant in 1 offseason.  Anyone gm w/ a check book can do that.

What is it about "long term success" do jet fans not understand?

This is month one of a ground up rebuild.  Be prepared for the most awesome 4-12 season imaginable!!!!

Are the Bills not set up for future success? Success now and later isn’t mutually exclusive. Signing a stud guard for a lot now gives you 3 season of elite play and 2 years of drafting to find his replacement. This team has cap flexibility and can afford to spend while setting up future success. Rebuilds are a lie bad franchises sell their fanbases. Good franchises retool and reset using all of their possible avenues for improvement. 

Joe Douglas saved money last offseason, this offseason the focus should be on taking the assets and turning them into good players. The only player worth re-signing next year is Foley Fatukasi, leave enough for him and just go for it. 

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Imagine if there were 2 examples in this division of teams going from bad to relevant in 1 off season. 

There isn't though.  The jumps those teams made were not due to one awesome off season, it was due to good building for a few years and then seeing the results last year.  The Jets are not close to that big jump but if they don't blow their resources on a quick fix they can be there in a couple years.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Are the Bills not set up for future success? Success now and later isn’t mutually exclusive. Signing a stud guard for a lot now gives you 3 season of elite play and 2 years of drafting to find his replacement. This team has cap flexibility and can afford to spend while setting up future success. Rebuilds are a lie bad franchises sell their fanbases. Good franchises retool and reset using all of their possible avenues for improvement. 

Joe Douglas saved money last offseason, this offseason the focus should be on taking the assets and turning them into good players. The only player worth re-signing next year is Foley Fatukasi, leave enough for him and just go for it. 

Of course douglas is gong to spend some money.  And it probably makes sense to use it on oline if wilson is going to be the pick at 2.

But we are not bringing in 3 big names, spending all of our free agent dollars this offseason so we can brag about an 8 win season and cripple us moving forward.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There isn't though.  The jumps those teams made were not due to one awesome off season, it was due to good building for a few years and then seeing the results last year.  The Jets are not close to that big jump but if they don't blow their resources on a quick fix they can be there in a couple years.

ding ding ding.  we have a winner!

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bowing to fan pressure, not good.  Taking a 6-2 team and turning into 2-14, not good.  Having a draft class that has produced one dominant player, not good.  But let's give this guy a free pass mmm k?

You geniuses called for Gase's firing after 4 weeks.  What, Joe gets 4 years?  Joe Douglas had better have a strong March and April or its time to whip out the planes and the billboards.

SAR I

I agree. JD, you’re on the clock.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

you know what is gong to happen.  He is going to find good, young talent in the draft but the jets wont win many games next year.  And then 80% of this board will be whining about Douglas and Saleh.  

And then 3 yeas down the road, when they jets are a top team and it is sustainable, dumb jet fans will claim they were onboard all along.

I agree and I think it's also part of the reason why you'll see a rookie QB instead of Sam.

With Sam they'll be expectations to win now.  With a rookie you'll have time to build from the ground up the way JD seems to want to do it.

This is the first year of the rebuild (last year was a cleaning house year) No need to rush - but with Sam between the contract and fan base you kinda have to.  With a rookie you buy yourself a couple of years to do it right.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Actually the Bills completely tore down their team to make cap space the same offseason they drafted Josh Allen. They went a surprising 6-10, everyone thought they were the worst roster in the league. The next offseason they spent like crazy to get up to 10-6. So yeah they tore it down and back up in 1.5 offseasons. 

The Dolphins did the same thing. 1 offseason to tear it down and another to build it up to respectable. 

This Jets roster has been torn down, let’s start to see the upside or Douglas can GTFO.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So when Zach wilson is our qb, we play tough and competitive but only win 4 games, what will you say?

I agree.

Look at the Bengals last year.  The entire league loved them, including their fans - but they weren't winning.  The young QB looked great, young kids looked good.

I would be very happy with a year like that and so will the fan base - (minus the major QB injury of course)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Actually the Bills completely tore down their team to make cap space the same offseason they drafted Josh Allen. They went a surprising 6-10, everyone thought they were the worst roster in the league. The next offseason they spent like crazy to get up to 10-6. So yeah they tore it down and back up in 1.5 offseasons. 

The Dolphins did the same thing. 1 offseason to tear it down and another to build it up to respectable. 

This Jets roster has been torn down, let’s start to see the upside or Douglas can GTFO.

Buffalo added a #1 CB in the draft tredavious white, Dion Dawkins LT, tremund edmonds, Matt milano, devon singletary, cody ford all in the drafts and then of course Allen.

A LOT of their success s due to building for a few years via the draft THEN making an impact move for a guy like Diggs.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I agree.

Look at the Bengals last year.  The entire league loved them, including their fans - but they weren't winning.  The young QB looked great, young kids looked good.

I would be very happy with a year like that and so will the fan base - (minus the major QB injury of course)

Absolute perfect scenario.  And then have another year of getting top picks in each round.

I guarantee Saleh and Douglas have already talked about this being the goal.

Young, competitive, hungry team but not many wins.  Then another year for Douglas to stack the roster w/ high draft picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Absolute perfect scenario.  And then have another year of getting top picks in each round.

I guarantee Saleh and Douglas have already talked about this being the goal.

Young, competitive, hungry team but not many wins.  Then another year for Douglas to stack the roster w/ high draft picks.

It really is the major reason why I just can't see them keeping Sam.  It would be counter productive to this type of strategy and I really do think this is way JD wants to build the team.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

It really is the major reason why I just can't see them keeping Sam.  It would be counter productive to this type of strategy and I really do think this is way JD wants to build the team.

Theres a better chance of me winning the powerball then Sam Darnold ever taking another snap for the jets.  

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Buffalo added a #1 CB in the draft tredavious white, Dion Dawkins LT, tremund edmonds, Matt milano, devon singletary, cody ford all in the drafts and then of course Allen.

A LOT of their success s due to building for a few years via the draft THEN making an impact move for a guy like Diggs.

Dawkins and White are their only good players that predate their current regime. They threw Allen in the flames of a bad OL in his rookie year, they replaced 4 positions the next year. The Bills aren’t a sign of incremental gains but a quick turnaround. Even more so they threw a QB into the deep end without help and then added pieces after the fact. 

If Douglas spends to the cap this year Wilson or Fields will land onto a team with plenty of support. There is no reason not to spend and expect success this season. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So when Zach wilson is our qb, we play tough and competitive but only win 4 games, what will you say?

I will say we picked the wrong QB 

If we are taking Wilson at 2 with all the other draft picks and cap space and only win 4 games  I will also say FIRE JD. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think just the opposite. It's in J.D's best interest to find a team who thinks Wilson is on the same level as TL. Trades with that team and gets a humongous haul. Building, quickly the right way. Through the draft.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, genot said:

I think just the opposite. It's in J.D's best interest to find a team who thinks Wilson is on the same level as TL. Trades with that team and gets a humongous haul. Building, quickly the right way. Through the draft.

We just see it the opposite way at this point.  

I honestly can't see how they keep Sam...but I've been wrong before!

We will know soon enough.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sounds like this press conference was done to:

1. Give the reporters an exclusive since it was a tough year covering the team

2. Get the Jets in the news to help the people selling tickets

This replaces the pressers the GMs and HCs would normally give during the combine, which I believe are league required. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We just see it the opposite way at this point.  

I honestly can't see how they keep Sam...but I've been wrong before!

We will know soon enough.

I could be wrong too. Whatever happens, will still be here, and bleed green and white. Must admit though, it bothers me that some here are so sure of a particular outcome.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Alka said:

My take is that JD is open to everything.  It all comes down to what he gets offered, or what he doesn't get offered.  He got a great offer for Jamal Adams, and he took it.  If he gets a great offer on Darnold, he will take it.  If he doesn't get a good offer, then who knows?  

We really don't know anything more than we did before, with the exception that he will take phone calls and offers on Darnold without hanging up the phone.  Nothing more than that.

This stance is the same as it always been... he said the same dam thing with adams...   like others stated if some offers to overvalue sam or meets his valuation, he will take it otherwise expect him on the roster with a Vet back-up. 

• Upvote 1

I actually listened to the Press Conference.

And these tweets do not do the Press Conference justice in total.

The Press Conference once again show that these guys know what they are doing.....

Again

1) It is clear that JD and Saleh genuinely like each other and that they are working well together.

2) The stance on Darnold hasn't really changed all that much but as of the end of the year they will take calls on Darnold or any player.

3)  Because they are willing to keep Sam Darnold it doesn't mean that they wont draft a QB,

These guys are looking to build the team the right way and I am excited about it!!

Let's go Jets!!

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Just what I was going to post.  So the question is, Mac Jones or Trey Lance?

No way. We have plenty of picks without trading back to grab a QB that won't be as good as Wilson. How many picks do you guys think is enough? We have plenty even if we stay put. Also have to count the extra pick for Sam. We could have 3 first round picks and a second and two thirds, or two first round picks, two seconds and two thirds. PLUS 80 million in cap space. We should compete right away - thinking a team adding all of those assets will be 4-12 is off to me.

6 hours ago, Lith said:

So, in summary, before the presser, half the board assumed Sam would be back and half the board assumed he would be traded.  Now, after the presser, it still sounds like half the board assumes Sam will be back and half the board assumes he will be traded.

Glad they clarified it for us, lol.

..but each half now believes the opposite thing

30 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

No way. We have plenty of picks without trading back to grab a QB that won't be as good as Wilson. How many picks do you guys think is enough? We have plenty even if we stay put. Also have to count the extra pick for Sam. We could have 3 first round picks and a second and two thirds, or two first round picks, two seconds and two thirds. PLUS 80 million in cap space. We should compete right away - thinking a team adding all of those assets will be 4-12 is off to me.

If you LOVE wilson you take him at #2

If you love fields you take him at #2

• Upvote 1