Jets Going Trey Lance's Pro Day Tomorrow

19 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I did not get to watch, but the reviews generally seem to be 'raw, but unquestionably talented. Needs time.'

Is signing someone like Fitzmagic, taking Lance and letting him sit so out of the question?

Its an option, but I'm not taking Lance at #2.  So your plan is
to:

- Trade Darnold
- Sign Fitzpatrick (not a fan)
- Trade down from #2 to #8 (CAR)
- Take Lance 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Because you are not taking a QB who admittedly needs to sit for a year at 2.  You just aren't.  If you do, he has to start, and then its Sam Darnold part II.

If someone moves up, say Carolina at 8, they are moving there to get Zach Wilson or Justin Fields.  Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and Detroit are NOT taking QB's.  The wildcard is Miami.  If Miami doesn't, and the Jets were sitting at #8, you have the Falcons who MIGHT take a QB.  If Carolina moves up for Wilson or Fields, that leaves the Jets with Lance or one of Wilson or Fields.  

There IS no guarantee, but that is how you play the draft.  It might be a risk.  That is why I think they hang onto Darnold.  If they had number one, I bet they take Lawrence.  But, they can move down, try and take a guy like Lance around 8.  If it doesn't work out, the Jets will probably have at least 3 first round picks next year to do some maneuvering.  

This is chess, not checkers.  It's going to take some balls, some skill, and some patience.  Douglas was given six years.  It will take probably three of those years getting this team to a point where it is decent enough to compete for the playoffs.  If one of these QB's doesn't work, you don't force it. 

You’re plan is a whole lot of ifs and mights, I doubt that’s how an NFL GM who has the #2 overall pick plays it.  

19 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Lance is the kind of dude that a team like Pittsburgh or New Orleans should make a big play for in the draft ala the Chiefs with Mahomes.

If you’re the Jets, and have decided to move away from Darnold, then excluding a Deshaun Watson trade, you take either Wilson or Fields at #2 and deal Sam to the highest bidder.

Yup I completely agree.  It also resets the QB contract which is very important if you still need to build a football team.  I watched a lot of tape on both fields and wilson and I would take wilson.  Something with fields' slow delivery and reads that concern me.  I think fields will be a good QB in the league depending on the situation but not as good as wilson who can be elite.

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

FCS QBs drafted in the 1st round:

• Carson Wentz

• Joe Flacco 

• Phil Simms 

• Steve McNair

• Doug Williams 

Wentz and Flacco close to home for JD

SB rings in their collections; 5

Over the course of their careers, Jets SB wins?  0

2 hours ago, SOJ said:

What about Wilson's surgery's ?  I mean both shoulders... I see red flags and I'd pass.  Keep SAM and draft Lance but sit him and let him learn... form the coaches, what he sees and also SAM (I know he blows but..) and if SAMs sucks, play him and as others stated he can be an efficient back-up. 

You want Lance to learn from Sam ?  Ohhhhhh Lawwwdddd

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

After today I don’t think he makes it past 12, if the Jets traded back into the 7-12 range get a bunch of picks and get Lance it’s a win. 

Lance is a better prospect than Fields.  Probably also better than Wilson

My issue with Lance is he’s raw and needs a very particular system to be successful 

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

QB Pro days are a waste of time when you have Video of their entire college career throwing in real games to real WR's battling DB's  under real Pressure

Admittedly it’s a small sample size facing crap competition but same can be said for Wilson who is getting chugged on

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Lance is a better prospect than Fields.  Probably also better than Wilson

My issue with Lance is he’s raw and needs a very particular system to be successful 

At this point and time we are better off with Wilson,Fields or Lance. 

Mullens or Mariota ok by me too. 

8 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

You’re plan is a whole lot of ifs and mights, I doubt that’s how an NFL GM who has the #2 overall pick plays it.  

Chess Sec101....not checkers.

There would be multiple plans in place.  If he trades out to #8, and the QB's are gone, then I am quite sure there would be a plan to trade down again and keep stockpiling, or grab one of the top receivers.  Then, keep building a team.  Run it back with Sam for a year.  By the time he's done, I am sure he will have three 1sts next year.  That would be ample supply of ammo to move up for one of Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis, Bo Nix, or whichever QB shows up large in 2021.

Again......Chess not checkers. 

8 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Forgot about that!  Good trip down memory lane for 2 minutes.  A pretty epic pro day in the rain.

Man, Gase really goofed this kid up.  Those where some automatic timing throws, no hesitation, no hitch, one or two reads at the beginning of his set of passes.  That's pretty much what he'd be doing in a Shanahan/LaFleur system I think.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

As they should he is the best QB. And he is WAY more athletic than you give him credit for. Don't agree on the future of the QB thing players like Lamar do not last.

He’s not athletic at all.  Lol.  And it’s not just Lamar homey.

• WTF? 1

It is curious that Robert Saleh and Mike Lafleur have not been at Lawrence and Lance's pro day. At the press conference Saleh talked about how important it was for him to be at the pro days to see the spin of the ball come out of the QB arm. I will be very surprised if Saleh is not at Wilson's pro day.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1