Chargers Release Trai Turner-G

PepPep

1 minute ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I don't put a ton of stock in to PFF's nonsense but its concerning if a guy has the same rating as me sitting on the couch for 2020. They can't be that wrong 

I’m not a huge PFF believer in their nonsense either but it really seems like Turner has lost a step

I’d rather sign Thuney or Zeitler

• Upvote 1

How many Guards have the Jets signed as FA's or gotten in trades that we thought would be good only to see them bomb here for one reason or another?  Simply too many.  Whether it's a James Carpenter or a Kelechi Osemele we just haven't been good with bringing veterans from other teams onboard.  Pete Kendall is the last really good one I remember.  Alan Faneca also did well here for a short time at the end of his career, but it seems like forever since we've really succeeded with FA guards.  Lewis and GVR haven't done much to change that opinion.

If we're going to go after a Guard then go big with a sure thing like Thuney.  We can't take chances with guys who have question marks like Turner.  He definitely has a Buyer Beware sign hanging over his head.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How many Guards have the Jets signed as FA's or gotten in trades that we thought would be good only to see them bomb here for one reason or another?  Simply too many.  Whether it's a James Carpenter or a Kelechi Osemele we just haven't been good with bringing veterans from other teams onboard.  Pete Kendall is the last really good one I remember.  Alan Faneca also did well here for a short time at the end of his career, but it seems like forever since we've really succeeded with FA guards.  Lewis and GVR haven't done much to change that opinion.

If we're going to go after a Guard then go big with a sure thing like Thuney.  We can't take chances with guys who have question marks like Turner.  He definitely has a Buyer Beware sign hanging over his head.

To be fair - Tanny did a nice job with the OL for those two runs....Then our GM's were Idzik and Mac.  Those guys literally did NOTHING right.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Carpenter was an outstanding pickup for the first 2 years. If the team had chosen to (though they had no reason to at the time) they could have let him go after those 2 years without paying him a premium for his 2 years here.

Despite the revisionist ideas to the contrary, he was a much better pickup than Faneca, who had one just-ok season, then one below average season, then was cut even though the Jets were on the hook for like $6MM (i.e. he was cut for his roster spot). Faneca was a terrible addition - effectively paying him ~$20MM for one merely decent (but far from great) season. Way too much credit goes to him for Ferguson (a premiere prospect in his own right) finally getting-it in his 3rd season after his first 2 forgettable seasons.

Regardless, the FA guards were added by Maccagnan or Tannenbaum or even Parcells are all irrelevant. Different GM, and different players.

If Turner's problems last year were not just injury-related but also said injury is not a long-term issue, then he'd be an excellent addition. He shouldn't be tremendously expensive, seeing how no one would even give up a future 7th rounder for him at $11MM, and only turns 28 in June. If he's able to get back to his prior form it's unlikely the Jets are going to draft anyone who's his immediate equal, he won't get more than the current year guaranteed up front, and signing him doesn't preclude them from also signing a Thuney or Linsley. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Carpenter was an outstanding pickup for the first 2 years. If the team had chosen to (though they had no reason to at the time) they could have let him go after those 2 years without paying him a premium for his 2 years here.

If I recall correctly, Carpenter had been in a zone scheme with the Seahawks that wasn't a good fit for him, but then thrived in the man scheme that Chan Gailey had implemented for Carpenter's first two Jet seasons.  When John Morton, and then Jeremy Bates, took over the offense, the scheme no longer favored Carpenter's strengths and he struggled again.  The decline was predictable, and if Maccagnan had cut bait after 2 seasons, the Carpenter signing would be looked back on as a strong success.  Because he didn't, it's not viewed so favorably now.

• Upvote 1

If the Jets sign a FA Center like Linsley from GB who would you like to see playing OG out of McGovern, Lewis, GVR, Andrews and Clark?

Or, are we signing a FA Guard in addition to a FA Center?

After pouring money into Fant, Lewis, McGovern, GVR, etc. I simply can't see JD dumping 10's of millions into two more high-priced FA linemen.  It just doesn't seem like something JD would do.  One, perhaps..... two, doubtful.  This is a guy who wants to build through the Draft.  Signing something like 5 or 6 free agents in two seasons to build his line is not what Joe Douglas is about.

How about signing Linsley at C and drafting a RT at #34 or #66?

Becton, Lewis, Linsley (FA), McGovern, Mayfield (R - Michigan) ?