What kind of car do you drive?

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I know it’s super cliche to push Subarus but my Crosstrek is incredible. And the nice thing about owning a Subaru is that if I’m not satisfied with it at any point I can flip it for barely a loss. They hold their value like crazy. 

The new Outbacks are gorgeous but I am not a fan of the center console. And I love the Ascent but I still have reservations about a SUV that big in a 4 cyl. 

Other ride is a ‘19 Sorrento and I’m very happy with it. Powerful, reliable and it has enough of an IDGAF factor to it that I don’t mind my dogs beating it up. I’m not so sure I’d be cool with that aspect of things if I had an Outback or an Ascent which are both way nicer.

My Dad had an outback for 15+ years.   He had one for 10, traded it in and got another one.  He loved that thing.

41 minutes ago, CTM said:

No, they are nice looking but at the time  (fall 2019) neither were anywhere near worth the $ tag from an efficiency perspective. I again looked into powerwall at some point last year and just not worth it yet. I'll probably look into it every year until it makes sense financially

I got a high end panasonic panel which cost a bit more upfront but currently powers all of my household electricty + pool +  80% of driving with a surplus. NJ also has SRACS available which after about 16 months of on time I have about 3-3,5k worth waiting to be redeemed.

I got a new roof + 2 trees taken down + panels and with the 30% tax credt from FED and will have a positive ROI in about 4 years + adds value to my home.

Really it's a no brainer in NJ, particularly if you make enough to take advanatage of the tax credit.

This is a good site to use:

https://www.energysage.com/

In my twenties I installed solar for a few years. The standard back then, was about 7 years to pay off the system completely for the homeowner. But the technology was improving every year.

Good to hear you're ahead of the game. 

I currently live in apartment in downtown Denver, but when I buy a house, I'll definitely get solar on my garage to charge my EV. And whenever it makes sense financially, I want that Tesla shingled roof. 

Do you have a micro-inverter system (underneath the panels) or do you have an inverter (or two depending on the size of your system) on the side of your house?

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

In my twenties I installed solar for a few years. The standard back then, was about 7 years to pay off the system completely for the homeowner. But the technology was improving every year.

Good to hear you're ahead of the game. 

I currently live in apartment in downtown Denver, but when I buy a house, I'll definitely get solar on my garage to charge my EV. And whenever it makes sense financially, I want that Tesla shingled roof. 

Do you have a micro-inverter system (underneath the panels) or do you have an inverter (or two depending on the size of your system) on the side of your house?

Invertor in garage. I don't remember being offered a micro invertor. Are there benefits?

Just now, CTM said:

Invertor in garage. I don't remember being offered a micro invertor. Are there benefits?

It's a been a while, and I don't remember if there was any benefit other than not having a large inverter on the side of your house. Different manufacturers just had different ways to attack the conversion from DC to AC.  

But things might have changed. The three years I spent in the industry saw a lot of change and that was 4 years or so ago that I moved on.

By any chance do you have that Solar Edge inverter? Those were beasts to hang, but easy to work with once you mounted it. 

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

It's a been a while, and I don't remember if there was any benefit other than not having a large inverter on the side of your house. Different manufacturers just had different ways to attack the conversion from DC to AC.  

But things might have changed. The three years I spent in the industry saw a lot of change and that was 4 years or so ago that I moved on.

By any chance do you have that Solar Edge inverter? Those were beasts to hang, but easy to work with once you mounted it. 

Haha yep, that was the one constant on the 4 quotes I got, the solar edge inverter. Everyone was pushing different panels though. I did a bunch of research on the panels but just figured the inverter must be industry standard. It's inside my garage though so no aesthetic issues. I kinda of like it tbh, it's near my box and I'm putting a sense energy monitor in there if electricians ever free up. (In NJ we've had lots of people fleeing the city to the burbs, causing housing prices to sky rocket and all all kinds of home imrpvoement projects) Kinda makes the whole area look high tech :)

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Haha yep, that was the one constant on the 4 quotes I got, the solar edge inverter. Everyone was pushing different panels though. I did a bunch of research on the panels but just figured the inverter must be industry standard. It's inside my garage though so no aesthetic issues. I kinda of like it tbh, it's near my box and I'm putting a sense energy monitor in there if electricians ever free up. (In NJ we've had lots of people fleeing the city to the burbs, causing housing prices to sky rocket and all all kinds of home imrpvoement projects) Kinda makes the whole area look high tech :)

I don't doubt that at all - the Solar Edge inverter seemed like it was taking over the 'string system' market while Enphase was taking over the micro-inverter market. 

And I agree, if you can have it in your garage, who gives AF about aesthetics. 

Hopefully someone on this site can be the Tesla Shingled Solar Roof guinea pig... that's what I'm truly excited about. 

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I don't doubt that at all - the Solar Edge inverter seemed like it was taking over the 'string system' market while Enphase was taking over the micro-inverter market. 

And I agree, if you can have it in your garage, who gives AF about aesthetics. 

Hopefully someone on this site can be the Tesla Shingled Solar Roof guinea pig... that's what I'm  truly excited about. 

I think it'll be a bit, they were like 4x as expensive for the same output if memory serves and would never have a positive ROI. This was 2019 though

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2021 at 3:54 PM, joewilly12 said:

If you own a home you always need a pickup.  

My family is a Jeep family wife and I both drive  Grand Cherokees I also own  a GMC pickup wouldn't be without one. 

I took my truck in for an oil change and walked the lot looking at new pickups they are way overpriced $50k and up. 

@Maxman my brother in law recently bought a 2018 BMW X-5 19k miles from Carvana they delivered and financed it looks like a brand new car. 

They also let you test drive and decide if you want it or not. 

He got a really good deal if you want to avoid dealers and private owners. 

Good luck. 

Carvana is way overpaying for cars so if your selling you should go to them. 

I think good prices on buying as well.  They don’t make much money

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2021 at 8:08 AM, munchmemory said:

Mazda CX-5.  Have been leasing a Mazda for the last 10+ years.   Most reliable car I have ever driven.  Only ever had to do oil changes and other scheduled maintenance.  

Can vouch for this ride too. When I got the Crosstrek it came down to the Subie vs a CX-5. Really loved the Mazda and you can't go wrong with either. Great car.

• Upvote 2

On 3/28/2021 at 8:05 PM, CTM said:

I wanted an EV and Tesla couldn't get me to and from our main office on own charge so I bought a plug in hybrid. A Honda Clarity. Car is meh but i got 7500 tax credit, and my rooftop solar covers 80% of of my usage on the 48 mile electric battery (95% since covid)

WTF? LOL That hippie joke writes itself. 

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Tacoma and a Pilot. Love em both.

Love both of those. Mrs Crusher was picking between the Pilot and the Telluride, she got the Telluride because I liked the Pilot better. Haha, She’s happy though. I still got my old Avalanche and still love that truck. But, soon as I’m ready the Tacoma will be my next truck, kids all gone ready for something little smaller. 

14 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I know it’s super cliche to push Subarus but my Crosstrek is incredible. And the nice thing about owning a Subaru is that if I’m not satisfied with it at any point I can flip it for barely a loss. They hold their value like crazy. 

The new Outbacks are gorgeous but I am not a fan of the center console. And I love the Ascent but I still have reservations about a SUV that big in a 4 cyl. 

Other ride is a ‘19 Sorrento and I’m very happy with it. Powerful, reliable and it has enough of an IDGAF factor to it that I don’t mind my dogs beating it up. I’m not so sure I’d be cool with that aspect of things if I had an Outback or an Ascent which are both way nicer.

I drive a 2018 Crosstrek. Very happy with it; great gas mileage, realiable, no headaches. Coming off Jeep Grand Cherokees for a decade, got very tired of constant trips to the mechanic or dealership coupled with piss poor MPG. 

Mrs. drives a Forester, also, very happy with it. Thninking of upgrading to the Ascent to fit granchildren. Eldest son drives a spanking new big ass Dodge Ram truck , his wife a Jeep Grand Cherokee and other son has a Subaru Legacy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Love both of those. Mrs Crusher was picking between the Pilot and the Telluride, she got the Telluride because I liked the Pilot better. Haha, She’s happy though. I still got my old Avalanche and still love that truck. But, soon as I’m ready the Tacoma will be my next truck, kids all gone ready for something little smaller. 

Tacoma was the right size for residential pickup that I can also commute and parallel park when needed. I love it.

Also, I’ve wanted one since I saw back to the future.

Pilot is the old body. The square one. Honda hit it out of the park with that model.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Tacoma was the right size for residential pickup that I can also commute and parallel park when needed. I love it.

Also, I’ve wanted one since I saw back to the future.

Pilot is the old body. The square one. Honda hit it out of the park with that model.

Yeah always liked the Pilots. But it was her vehicle to pick and she picked the Telluride. I hear you on the truck size. My Avalanche is a 2500 too, freaking huge. Still had the boat I was pulling when I bought it. Had so many memories with kids camping, fishing, school parades  and going to the beach I’m struggling letting go. Well that and the price of new trucks! Yikes!! It’s got 207,000k on it so eventually it will release itself. Great damn truck though. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah always liked the Pilots. But it was her vehicle to pick and she picked the Telluride. I hear you on the truck size. My Avalanche is a 2500 too, freaking huge. Still had the boat I was pulling when I bought it. Had so many memories with kids camping, fishing, school parades  and going to the beach I’m struggling letting go. Well that and the price of new trucks! Yikes!! It’s got 207,000k on it so eventually it will release itself. Great damn truck though. 

2500 with you inside or outside?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

981 Boxsters and Caymans are going up in value right now. Porsches are expensive but they hold their value and are amazing cars to drive, especially these mid engine flat six models.

@Maxman You could probably drive one for a year and get your money back if you wanted to sell it.

6338FB75-E98A-41A6-97FD-3A1C660547CB.jpeg

SHOW ME THE WAY!!!!!

25 minutes ago, Maxman said:

SHOW ME THE WAY!!!!!

The 981 is from 2013-2016 check out the price index: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Porsche-Boxster-d408

S models are 3.4 litters and are more desirable (911 brakes, dual exhaust) base models are 2.7 litters. Both come in automatic or manual transmission. GTS models are going to be allot more expensive, and then there's the Spyder.

Same goes for the Cayman which is a fixed roof, you can't get one with a sunroof so if you want open air, go with the Boxster.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Porsche-Cayman-d993

All of the older models are going up too. You have the 986 Boxster (1996–2004) and the 987 Boxster (2004–2012) Cayman (2005–2012).

Do not buy anything older than 2009 unless the IMS bearing has been replaced with the retrofit kit.

If you find something you like, send me a link, I'll check out the spec for you and see if it's fair.

I had a 2012 Boxster S Black Edition before my 981 and it was an incredible driving experience. The 981 is more refined and updated, but still allot of fun.

You can paste any Porsche vin number in here and it will show you the original price, and a list of the factory options included: https://vinanalytics.com

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Bugg said:

I drive a 2018 Crosstrek. Very happy with it; great gas mileage, realiable, no headaches. Coming off Jeep Grand Cherokees for a decade, got very tired of constant trips to the mechanic or dealership coupled with piss poor MPG. 

Mrs. drives a Forester, also, very happy with it. Thninking of upgrading to the Ascent to fit granchildren. Eldest son drives a spanking new big ass Dodge Ram truck , his wife a Jeep Grand Cherokee and other son has a Subaru Legacy. 

I have been in love with the Ascent for over a year. I have some reservations about it being a 4 cyl but the consistent word I always see and hear is that it's plenty powerful. 

6 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

The 981 is from 2013-2016 check out the price index: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-trends/Porsche-Boxster-d408

S models are 3.4 litters and are more desirable (911 brakes, dual exhaust) base models are 2.7 litters. Both come in automatic or manual transmission. GTS models are going to be allot more expensive, and then there's the Spyder.

Same goes for the Cayman which is a fixed roof, you can't get one with a sunroof so if you want open air, go with the Boxster.

All of the older models are going up too. You have the 986 Boxster (1996–2004) and the 987 Boxster (2004–2012) Cayman (2005–2012).

Do not buy anything older than 2009 unless the IMS bearing has been replaced with the retrofit kit.

If you find something you like, send me a link, I'll check out the spec for you and see if it's fair.

I had a 2012 Boxster S Black Edition before my 981 and it was an incredible driving experience. The 981 is more refined and updated, but still allot of fun.

You can paste any Porsche vin number in here and it will show you the original price, and a list of the factory options included: https://vinanalytics.com

One day I'll be able to afford one, lol. With two kids under 4 my play cars are Miatas.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:32 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I didn't know another car had the center console - I have the Scion xB which has it - and it took a short time to get used to it, but now I love it. A Subaru would be on my list of cars if the Scion bites the rust dust soon - because it offers AWD and a stick. The Crosstrek was on the list because of that and higher clearance (I live on a Vermont dirt "road" - half the time, it doesn't qualify.) 

1 minute ago, Bungaman said:

I didn't know another car had the center console - I have the Scion xB which has it - and it took a short time to get used to it, but now I love it. A Subaru would be on my list of cars if the Scion bites the rust dust soon - because it offers AWD and a stick. The Crosstrek was on the list because of that and higher clearance (I live on a Vermont dirt "road" - half the time, it doesn't qualify.) 

I think I used the wrong term, I just meant the console they have. It's all digital top to bottom. It's cool to see in the dealership but from a practicality standpoint having to surf through a computer for every little thing (i.e. turning the AC on) gets annoying after a while. 

New-2021-Subaru-Outback-XT-Interior.jpg?

22 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

This is wild.  Do you really feel that they are holding their value? i.e. you can drive it for a year or so and resell without taking a bath?

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is wild.  Do you really feel that they are holding their value? i.e. you can drive it for a year or so and resell without taking a bath?

In 2017 they made the Boxster and Cayman a turbo 4 cylinder engine. Allot of people hated it and so Porsche brought back the flat 6 in 2021, but it's only available in the GTS models which start in the high 80s, the Boxster 25, Spyder and Cayman GT4, which are all 6 figure cars.

This has caused the values to increase sooner than they normally would. Typically once a Porsche fully depreciates they start to become more valuable as more people can afford them and the demand drives the prices back up.

Also, Porsche enthusiasts hate when the cars change significantly and it usually causes a stir. When the 911 went from air cooled to water cooled, the older models went thru the roof.

They keep putting regulations on Porsche to keep emissions down and that causes them to make changes that effect the driving experience and sound that enthusiasts love.

All models from 2016 down have the flat 6 engine, all the models from 2012 down have hydraulic steering, which is not offered any more, the exhaust note sounds better on the older models too. These are features enthusiasts want in a sports car, because they enhance the driving experience.

The price index links I posted show significant increases in the older Boxster models, some years went up between 10-35% There are less model years of Cayman and some went up between 10-23%.

If you can get a good buy and drive it moderately for a year or two, you should be able to sell it and recoup most of your money or maybe even come out ahead if this trend continues.

My 981 S is a very high spec car, whoever ordered it originally went crazy on the options. It's a 2014, there was no GTS or Spyder packages yet, so he paid à la carte for every box he checked and he nearly checked them all. Sticker was $108,710.00, I bought it a little over a year ago with 8,449 miles on it for right around $46,700. I have just over 11,000 miles on it now, and I could probably sell it for what I paid, if not more to the right buyer who wants to pay a premium for the spec.

• Upvote 1