2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Nobody is giving up a premium pick in this draft for that package. That's valuing Darnold as a mid 2nd round pick. 

Maybe Carolina would accept 23, 34 & Darnold for #8. That puts a late 3rd value on Darnold. In this draft the #8 pick is going to get the 3rd or 4th best non QB in the draft. That's a very valuable pick to have. The Panthers still have Bridgewater, they don't need to force a deal. The best the deal will be is a 3rd  this year and maybe a conditional 4th next year. 

Actually the smart play for Carolina is to trade back for additional 2022 picks to obtain Watson who they are man crushing over.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

April 9 was the internal target date to have a consensus on which direction the team preferred at QB. My presumption has been that a trade would follow soon after, being that the Jets have a good idea on the market for each asset as well as access to Wilson’s medical. My guess would likely officially begin vetting offers whether it be for Darnold, #2, or both. Jets haven’t made either “officially” available nor have they made counteroffers to teams who have called as of Monday. 

I see some saying a trade will go down on draft day but I know for sure the Jets entered the offseason seeking to avoid that entirely. I would think a trade would happen soon after their internal decision as long as they’re getting “fair” offers. No idea how long Joe would hold out if he’s not getting what he feels is FMV.

The biggest question lingering for me is whether the Panthers have changed their thinking RE: trading up. Now that there seems to be no end in sight to the Watson stuff, I’m wondering if the Panthers will return to “let’s move up for a QB and forget it” mode. Not sure if it was a bluff or what, but 2-3 weeks ago the team pres said team was willing to wait it out for Watson and that it looked like “Pitts, Farley, maybe Fields”’for them at 8. My cousin has a strong plug there, so I have my question drafted and ready to send on Monday. 

Do you think Carolina would offer anything for Russ Wilson.  Seattle seems like they would trade him for the right price.  I know they turned the Bears down, but Carolina draft position is much better.  Just asking because you haven’t mentioned that option for Carolina and it seems to be a perfect trading partner especially with Fritterer there...

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Who says the Eagles are not set with Hurts? They just got rid of Wentz and traded back instead of up.  Hurts provided a spark for them they didn't have all year and he possess those intangible skills the modern day QB now has in the NFL.  He did a nice job last year and that's being pretty much a raw prospect at the QB position. Don't see them bothering with Darnold in the least.  

The Eagles say.

They tried to trade up for Wilson. Once rebuffed they traded back.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/3/2021 at 6:52 PM, Wonderboy said:

Who says the Eagles are not set with Hurts? They just got rid of Wentz and traded back instead of up.  Hurts provided a spark for them they didn't have all year and he possess those intangible skills the modern day QB now has in the NFL.  He did a nice job last year and that's being pretty much a raw prospect at the QB position. Don't see them bothering with Darnold in the least.  

Hurts is not good at all.  Provide a spark?  Well he is the modern QB because he can run but he still cannot pass near well enough for this league.  Phily may give him a shot but it's a waste of time.

2 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Do you think Carolina would offer anything for Russ Wilson.  Seattle seems like they would trade him for the right price.  I know they turned the Bears down, but Carolina draft position is much better.  Just asking because you haven’t mentioned that option for Carolina and it seems to be a perfect trading partner especially with Fritterer there...

Maybe next year but don’t think Russ available until next year

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

What we now know: 

• the coaching staff and personnel people convinced ownership that Darnold was the way to go. A few weeks ago their team president ruled out trading up, responding that as of then it looked like “Pitts, Farley, maybe Fields” at #8. He said Watson’s lawsuits were a “PR curveball” and that ownership was still interested in holding out for him. This trade indicates they’re moving on from Watson entirely. As soon as I get a response on that front I plan on sharing it. Rhule is a known “Darnold-truther” throughout the league

• By trading away next years 2nd and 4th, Carolina is basically saying you wanted the picks this year/felt #39 and #113 were too high, and the Jets weren’t going to accept less than a 2nd in some shape or form.

• The Panthers are virtually eliminating themselves from Watson not only now but in the future, and barring a catestrophic season it would seem they are betting on Darnold for at least 2 years... a 3-year “extension” is likely on the horizon

Could you envision the Jets and Falcons swapping spots? 

1 Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence

2 Atlanta Zach Wilson

3 San Francisco Mac Jones

4 NY Jets Justin Fields 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I love Fields but it's time to accept reality

Accept reality about what? Nothing has been decided yet. The Jets haven't come out and declared Wilson is the pick. If the Jets were 100% sure they're picking Zach Wilson there is zero reason they wouldn't say so. It’s a forgone conclusion the Jaguars are taking Lawrence with the 1st pick. Nobody can trade ahead of the Jets. So why not just come out and say the pick is Zach if he's the guy? The reason they haven't is because it's not a guarantee he is the pick yet. 

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Accept reality about what? Nothing has been decided yet. The Jets haven't come out and declared Wilson is the pick. If the Jets were 100% sure they're picking Zach Wilson there is zero reason they wouldn't say so. It’s a forgone conclusion the Jaguars are taking Lawrenceat with the 1st pick. Nobody can trade ahead of the Jets. So why not just cone out and say the pick is Zach if he's the guy? The reason they haven't is because it's not a guarantee he is the pick yet. 

Fair.

But seriously, Wilson is going to be the pick. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Accept reality about what? Nothing has been decided yet. The Jets haven't come out and declared Wilson is the pick. If the Jets were 100% sure they're picking Zach Wilson there is zero reason they wouldn't say so. It’s a forgone conclusion the Jaguars are taking Lawrence with the 1st pick. Nobody can trade ahead of the Jets. So why not just come out and say the pick is Zach if he's the guy? The reason they haven't is because it's not a guarantee he is the pick yet. 

Have the Jaguars made their announcement yet? 

Hard to imagine anyone but Wilson under center for the Jets this season. Might as well get used to it. I’m also adjusting. 

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

"So you're saying there's a chance!"

It's hard for me to accept Joe is seriously considering selecting Zach Wilson over Justin Fields with the 2nd overall pick. If he drafts Wilson and the kid's shoulders prevent him from staying on the field, then Douglas deserves the "Glass Joe" nickname.

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Now that the trade is done, all eyes are on No. 23. Early indication is that it will be spent on an Offensive Lineman. 

Family Guy Cockroach GIF

There are a number of good OL prospects who should be there. 

Let's hope there are 5 QBs taken in round 1. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jets office staff found out the same way we did: via Adam Schefter, but Douglas and Hogan, among others, went to Woody's office right before noon today which gave some reason to believe something was up. 

Now that the trade is done, all eyes are on No. 23. Early indication is that it will be spent on an Offensive Lineman. 

Trade up is something to definitely keep an eye on. They may even look to get into the top 10. Jets wanted Carolina's #8 for Sam and #23 which we have all discussed at length; Breer said the same... they will re-engage on draft day. Not sure if they would go OL or playmaker in that scenario, but there's a pretty strong belief that Douglas will be spending his 3rd first-round pick on an offensive player. 

Kyle Pitts is expected to be the highest non-QB player on the board when it's finalized, but highly unlikely the Jets can get him... if he falls to Carolina they will take him. I know the Jets like Jaylen Waddle and Kadarius Toney a lot so they're also options to monitor. 

If the board doesn't match up, pass rusher is the preference. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Family Guy Cockroach GIF

There are a number of good OL prospects who should be there. 

Let's hope there are 5 QBs taken in round 1. 

Didn't give me any names but I think the Jets may trade up for an OL we all believe will be there at #23. A lot will come to light over the next 2 weeks

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

NFL draft is a TV show. NFL gets a lot of $$$ from networks to broadcast it. They don’t want teams announcing their pick intentions prior to the show starting. Networks wouldn’t be happy. 

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

Trade up is something to definitely keep an eye on. They may even look to get into the top 10. Jets wanted Carolina's #8 for Sam and #23 which we have all discussed at length; Breer said the same... they will re-engage on draft day. Not sure if they would go OL or playmaker in that scenario, but there's a pretty strong belief that Douglas will be spending his 3rd first-round pick on an offensive player. 

Kyle Pitts is expected to be the highest non-QB player on the board when it's finalized, but highly unlikely the Jets can get him... if he falls to Carolina they will take him. I know the Jets like Jaylen Waddle and Kadarius Toney a lot so they're also options to monitor. 

If the board doesn't match up, pass rusher is the preference. 

I'd be delighted with a Jenkins or vera tucker type player at 23 but during the middle of the 1st round a lot of o line prospects are going to go off the board, if joes board says a corner back is rated higher than any line men left might he go that direction and go with a Spencer Brown or walker Little in the second round instead?

I know I'm asking very specific question, just want your opinion not direct insider info?