2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

On 4/9/2021 at 6:52 PM, Beerfish said:

That exact trade was made in our jetnaton mock draft which is going on right now except the Jets gm traded up to 9 to get slater for 23 and 34

No way that's enough. They'd have to add a 3rd rounder to get that done.  

On 4/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, Obrien2Toon said:

Seems like the value at #23 is going to be a corner

which is a huge no-no for me

would love a move up 

for smith seems reasonable, for Pitts will be too much 

And why is that? Do we have a shut down CB? No. Tanny traded up to get Revis. How did that work out? Would love to get a CB @ 23.  By 34, the premier CB's will be gone which is why JD needs to pounce on one @ 23.  Plenty of good OL in this draft. @ 34, JD will have a number of quality OL (G, C, T) to choose from. He could even trade back @34 for an extra pick and still pluck a couple excellent OLinemen and an edge with their following three picks. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think this type of coverage system is made for a guy like Bless Austin. He's fast, but is a very good and willing tackler.He lays people out. Not saying we won't address it, but this is one guy who may benefit a lot.

I said the exact same thread in that silly "draft a CB at #23" thread. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, choon328 said:

This is a zone based coverage scheme on defense so a premier CB is not necessary. The most important aspects of this defense is having a strong pass rush from your front 4 and Lbers that can play off the ball in space. Gone are the days of man cover guys for this team. 

I agree. I think that if they go defense early, it'll be for someone who gets after the QB. There are still a number of CBs available in free agency that I'm sure the Jets have been in touch with, told to sit tight, that a signing is likely not too far down the road. There'll be a mini flurry in FA right after the draft for a few teams, and the Jets are one of the few with money still on hand. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, choon328 said:

This is a zone based coverage scheme on defense so a premier CB is not necessary. The most important aspects of this defense is having a strong pass rush from your front 4 and Lbers that can play off the ball in space. Gone are the days of man cover guys for this team. 

A strong pass rush can compensate better for a mediocre secondary then the other way around.

The Saleh approach is to implement a 24/7 relentless pass rush with the front four.  Rotating fresh legs throughout the game to keep constant pressure on the QB..  He probably can use another young elite edge player from this draft to make his pass rush complete.  And lethal.  

Saleh will use a lot of 4-2-5 schemes.  Rushing four and dropping back seven in coverage.  In a Saleh defense...the front four needs to be a dominant one.  And injuries happen. So you need extra reserves to make it stay at a high level of effectiveness.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, GreenReaper said:

A strong pass rush can compensate better for a mediocre secondary then the other way around.

The Saleh approach is to implement a 24/7 relentless pass rush with the front four.  Rotating fresh legs throughout the game to keep constant pressure on the QB..  He probably can use another young elite edge player from this draft to make his pass rush complete.  And lethal.  

Saleh will use a lot of 4-2-5 schemes.  Rushing four and dropping back seven in coverage.  In a Saleh defense...the front four needs to be a dominant one.  And injuries happen. So you need extra reserves to make it stay at a high level of effectiveness.   

The two existing young players that will benefit the most from this scheme change is Austin and Zuniga.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think this type of coverage system is made for a guy like Bless Austin. He's fast, but is a very good and willing tackler.He lays people out. Not saying we won't address it, but this is one guy who may benefit a lot.

I honestly think most of the young corners fit the scheme better than they did running man. And there are several signed multiple years.

Would have 0 issue letting that position shake out with existing guys and focusing on other positions this year.

I actually think it’s prudent. Figure out what you need to do at corner based on the guys coming back next year once you’ve seen them in the scheme.

Watching corners get burned would be upsetting but if it means better supporting cast for the QB or better pass rush I’ll take it. Can’t fix this whole team in one draft.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, choon328 said:

Newsome can play in all different schemes. He's that good. And if they don't want a CB that high then I hope they take Zaven Collins.  Kid is a FREAK.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

They are probably just scaring teams into raising their price. They could stash him for two years and develop a young kid, but it feels like a high pick for that. Imagine what Matt Ryan can do with Pitts. 

1 minute ago, Wit said:

They are probably just scaring teams into raising their price. They could stash him for two years and develop a young kid, but it feels like a high pick for that. Imagine what Matt Ryan can do with Pitts. 

But they may also feel they willl never have this high of a pick again, so why not draft your long-term future QB now while you can? It does feel like a luxury stashing a high pick on the bench, but the Falcons have consistently send their three main guys to each of the QB's pro days. They were the only team, other than the Jets to send the GM-HC-OC to BYU for Wilson's pro day. 

3 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

But they may also feel they willl never have this high of a pick again, so why not draft your long-term future QB now while you can? It does feel like a luxury stashing a high pick on the bench, but the Falcons have consistently send their three main guys to each of the QB's pro days. They were the only team, other than the Jets to send the GM-HC-OC to BYU for Wilson's pro day. 

That a good point. They were not as bad as their record last year. 

On 4/11/2021 at 9:59 AM, choon328 said:

Exactly. I love CBs and would normally be begging for us to pick one at 23.

But the Saleh scheme just doesn't require top-flight man-cover corners.

The Jets seem to like their young guys like Hall,  Austin, Guidry and Jackson - who are all good fits for the scheme.

I'm sure we will add some guys later, but you can find zone corners throughout the draft without needing to spend prime picks on them.

If we go D early, I expect it to be for an edge rusher or mobile off-ball LB.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Perfect for us, as other posters have been saying as well.  Draft is deep with slot receivers. 

I really hope the Jets grab one. It makes sense too considering the Jets team-building philosophy... all about pipelines. Crowder is going to be a free agent next year, so wouldn't it be great to know you have someone who you can sprinkle into the offense now before giving them an expanded role next year? 

Jets won't utilize the slot receiver nearly as much as they did under Gase, but I think there's a lot of value in a guy who can play 50% of the snaps in the slot/backfield and make explosive plays as a passer or as a runner via jet sweeps

• Upvote 4

On 4/11/2021 at 9:16 AM, Wonderboy said:

Newsome can play in all different schemes. He's that good. And if they don't want a CB that high then I hope they take Zaven Collins.  Kid is a FREAK.

I'd love Zaven Collins.  If the Jets hit OL at 23 then I'd have no problem with him at 34 (if he's even there).

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, football guy said:

I really hope the Jets grab one. It makes sense too considering the Jets team-building philosophy... all about pipelines. Crowder is going to be a free agent next year, so wouldn't it be great to know you have someone who you can sprinkle into the offense now before giving them an expanded role next year? 

Jets won't utilize the slot receiver nearly as much as they did under Gase, but I think there's a lot of value in a guy who can play 50% of the snaps in the slot/backfield and make explosive plays as a passer or as a runner via jet sweeps

Def makes alot more sense then paying a slot guy 10m per year (Extending Crowder). 

If your the Jets Maye (Franchised) , CJ Mosley (15m) and Crowder(needs 10m per) and are all 28 or above all get replaced by this years draft picks in 2022 in a perfect world. 

We have no business giving 29 year olds big contracts next year at this point in the rebuild. We may reach higher then we thought on these positions. 

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Def makes alot more sense then paying a slot guy 10m per year (Extending Crowder). 

If your the Jets Maye (Franchised) , CJ Mosley (15m) and Crowder(needs 10m per) and are all 28 or above all get replaced by this years draft picks in 2022 in a perfect world. 

We have no business giving 29 year olds big contracts next year at this point in the rebuild. We may reach higher then we thought on these positions. 

Really?

I'm sorry Aaron Donald, you're too old.  Same to you Khalil Mack (30).  Tavis Kelce, you're 31 so sorry, no deal.  Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins... you're turning 29 this season, no contracts for you!  

Sorry but that is so arbitrary it has to be called out.  Argue the player, but plenty of 29-year old players are still dominant and worthy of big deals.

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not a big fan of an RB where we would need to take him, but its nice to have guys talking postivley about possibliity of playing here.  

That seems like a pretty descriptive answer, doesn't it?  Like he's spoken with us several times. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Really?

I'm sorry Aaron Donald, you're too old.  Same to you Khalil Mack (30).  Tavis Kelce, you're 31 so sorry, no deal.  Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins... you're turning 29 this season, no contracts for you!  

Sorry but that is so arbitrary it has to be called out.  Argue the player, but plenty of 29-year old players are still dominant and worthy of big deals.

I think if you throw “non superstar” in his post as a caveat it’s pretty reasonable. Douglas certainly likes to keep contracts for dudes short and I think as the team starts to get better and they’re extending dudes that’ll loosen up a bit.

Super interesting thing - assuming both stick around - will be what happens with a Becton extension.

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That seems like a pretty descriptive answer, doesn't it?  Like he's spoken with us several times. 

Sure does.  Haven't seen him mentioned as having spoken to us anywhere, but it does seem like he has.  Seems to be much less info about team/player visits with all the virtual meetings this season.

On 4/11/2021 at 2:45 PM, section314 said:

I really like Austin, he can hit and his heart seems to be in it. 

• Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not a big fan of an RB where we would need to take him, but its nice to have guys talking postivley about possibliity of playing here.  

It’s one of those picks that makes no sense until it does. 

I’d be surprised but not shocked. They’re gonna draft a playmaker, somewhere. WR, RB, TE - you can’t preach surrounding your qB with Talent and setting him up for success then say well - Coleman and Herndon should be enough Because Lafleur. ...that won’t fly. 

If there was better RB talent in this class I would say no way - but it’s gets reeeeal dicey after those first few names.