2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

If we really want to to see what Zack Wilson can do:  Surround him with the same talent that Trevor Lawrence had....Draft Eitienne, Amari Rogers and Cornell Powell...Also draft his WR from BYU in Dax Milne.  With the other picks, best Offensive Lineman available.

• Upvote 1

On 4/18/2021 at 9:32 AM, football guy said:
  • Teven Jenkins to the Jets has been popular for a little while now and credit to Tony Pauline who first introduced the scoop. uStadium has mentioned the same, and people in the Jets front office feel like he will be the pick if he's there at 23. 
  • Agents think the 49ers decision genuinely comes down to Trey Lance and Mac Jones. It's not about not liking Fields, it's simply preferring the other options.
  • No one knows what the Falcons are going to ultimately do. The feeling is that Arthur Blank - whose generally a observing, marco-manager type - will ultimately make the call. 
  • People think that Bengals are going Chase no matter what. The reasoning is kind of interesting. Chase's agents have been calm/cool/collected and haven't been trying to "sell" their client, nor have they been overly eager to get him meetings or ask teams to consider him, which kind of says something about the floor they feel like they have.  His agents also represent Ezekiel Elliott, and they gave off the "same vibe" back when DAL selected him 4th. They have a good reputation of supporting their clients and are pretty methodical. And yes, the difference between going 5 and 6 is $1 million, so they care. keeping things close to the vest, and think Chase will be a Bengal FWIW.
  • A very well place source maintains their belief that Micah Parsons will be a Dolphin. Same person told me not to believe the hype around drafting a skill-position player when they were at #3 very early in the process. They don't see Chase or Sewell there so if Pitts goes #4 or #5, I think we'll be in for a surprise. 
  • If Lance falls out of the top 5, everyone thinks the Broncos are going for him. If not, it's Micah Parsons or trade down

So the skinny here is the Jets want Jenkins?  I would have thought JD looks inside at the center position before addressing the RT position.  Also, I read somewhere Jenkins had sloppy techniques.  Are they committed or a smokescreen?

15 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Topeka High grad competing in Reese's Senior Bowl

From a Redskins fan....

Teven Jenkins is a baby-faced mauler who brings a defensive mindset to the OL

Teven Jenkins, OT
School: Oklahoma State |  Conference: Big 12
College Experience: RS Senior |  Age: 23
Height / Weight: 6’6” / 320 lbs
Projected Draft Status: Rounds 1-2

Player Overview

Full disclosure: Teven Jenkins is my 2021 draft man-crush. I’ve taken him in several of my mock drafts, and while I don’t think offensive tackle is an immediate need, Jenkins is a guy who - talent-wise and attitude-wise - I would love to have on this team for a long time.

Jenkins was red-shirted his first year in school. During his red-shirt freshman season he played in all 12 regular season games, starting at right tackle in several of them. In 2018, Jenkins started all 13 games for the Cowboys, beginning the season at right tackle and then filling in for injury at left tackle for several games before switching back to right tackle to end the season. That year, he was part of Oklahoma State’s best rushing attack since 2012.

During his junior season, he again started games at right tackle (9) and left tackle (3), helping to make Chuba Hubbard the leading rusher in FBS college football. His performance earned him the Thurman Thomas Award for the team’s most outstanding offensive player.

Jenkins didn’t play the full 2020 season, opting out after 8 games because of a minor injury, but he still played well enough to be named first team All Big 12, and get invited to the Senior Bowl.

“Imagine Bryan Bulaga, but with rabies. When it comes to weaponizing physical gifts with technical discipline, there might not be anybody better in this entire draft class than Teven Jenkins.” - Brett Kollmann

Strengths

• Has the flexibility to play either tackle position or move inside to play guard.
  • Is an enthusiastic finisher. Likes to punish defensive players who get in his way.
  • Has great play strength.
  • Has the athleticism to get to the second level consistently.
  • Possesses the strength to play in power schemes and the mobility to be effective in zone blocking schemes.

Weaknesses

• Some concerns about whether his arms are long enough for tackle.
  • Needs to improve against speed rushers.
  • Has to continue to refine his footwork.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/4/18/22390477/teven-jenkins-is-a-baby-faced-mauler-who-brings-a-defensive-mindset-to-the-ol

39 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hard pass on Teven Jenkens. Teven. What a soft ******* name. Makes me think of Guys Named Todd.

Carlin obviously did bits that were more incisive or astute, but nothing he ever said makes me laugh harder than “And another thing: I’m getting really sick of guys named Todd.”

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Saw a rumor about Jordan Love and 1.29 to the Pats for 1.15. That’s nuts to me.

1) awesome for us cuz Lolol @ Love

2) packers continue to prove how bad their FO is

That would be an awful deal for the packers if you ask me unless they did it on the draft floor when they see who is there for them.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That would be an awful deal for the packers if you ask me unless they did it on the drat floor when they see who is there for them.

It's honestly awful for the packers regardless of when they do it. The FO has an aging but still fantastic QB but used a 1st and 4th pick to select his backup, and then are going to spend another 1st and 4th to get rid of him. Instead of using all of these picks to chase another ring right now. Best part - Love didn't even dress for a single game. 

Honestly, if it weren't for these teams falling ass backwards into superstar QBs, the colts and packers are two of the worst run franchises in the league. They've combined for something like 50 years of A+ quarterbacking since the early 90s, and have what? 3 rings to show for it? Across 3 first ballot HoFers and another guy who was on his way before retiring at 28. And this isn't even accounting for the fact that the colts also drafted Elway and then were forced to trade him away because Elway knew how bad they were as an organization. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Carlin obviously did bits that were more incisive or astute, but nothing he ever said makes me laugh harder than “And another thing: I’m getting really sick of guys named Todd.”

I think about this bit every time I go on Facebook, and see the names my college and high school classmates gave their kids.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

There is nothing less dramatic than a kicker highlight. 

(I wonder if he makes it) 

With the eye makeup, tats and confidenceI thought it was Penei Sewell kicking it.  By the way...Him and Mann on our special teams brings an edge to that side of the squad.

15 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bungles passing on an OT surprises me. They have a good young Corp of receivers with Higgins & Boyd. I think protecting Burrow the biggest need. Could see them trading beck TBH

Bengals are one of the more stubbornly run teams in the NFL, and they often give former picks longer leashes than other teams, which can’t be ignored either. I think the Bengals see things a few ways: 

• I think the Bengals are optimistic that the line will dramatically improve with the return of Frank Pollack (should they feel that way? No, but they do). 
  • I think they view Jonah Williams as a LT, and I don’t fault them for that; he looked like a good one when on the field in 2020. However that’s the obvious issue... can he stay on the field?
  • I think they found a top swing/future starter in Hakeem Adeniji last year.
  • Riley Reiff has been told he’ll start at RT, but the value with him is that they can move him to LT (Adeniji at RT) if injuries persist with Williams. 
  • Everyone on the interior is replaceable, but they have a few solid depth pieces/spot starters and a solid C/G in Trey Hopkins... for whatever reason they still think they’re going to get something out of C/G Billy Price... Quinton Spain and Xavier Su’a-Filo are unspectacular but experienced starters who can be a “weak” starter/solid backup... Michael Jordan got Burrow killed last year and despite his talent they should give that experiment a test.  think they’ll prioritize OL in rounds 2-5 (probably will take 2 of them), and ultimately take the top iOL at #38 whether it be Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson, and let them battle it out in the interior (Trey Smith can play G and C). 

Personally, I think passing on an OL is a horrible idea regardless if it’s Sewell or Slater... OL > WR every time. In fact, I would draft 3 OL to begin their draft if I were running it, but it’s looking like they’ll take Chase then select the top OL at #38. I think it will be Landon Dickerson or Creed Humphrey, but not ruling out someone like Dillon Radunz (seems like he’s perfect Jonah Williams insurance) and start the best 3 combo in 2021 (whether it’s Hopkins at C and #38 at G or vice-a-versa).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Bengals are one of the more stubbornly run teams in the NFL, and they often give former picks longer leashes than other teams, which can’t be ignored either. I think the Bengals see things a few ways: 

Well obviously you have done your research. I appreciate the in-depth answer. It will be a lot of fun seeing how the draft plays out in 9 days. Especially what JD does with #23. I say he he moves back and then moves back up with #34 into the 1st rd. 

Have you done a full 1st rd. mock? Curious to see how you do

15 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Do you have a read on whether the jets are more likely to trade up or back from 23?  If the goal is OL, you’d think douglas would rather trade back and take someone like Humphrey rather than burn picks to move up to take a tackle, yes?

I think they would consider it if the board fell a way where it made sense, but I think their desires to get back in the top 10 all stemmed from potentially packaging Darnold and #23 to get there (would've valued Darnold as a late first-round pick, which was what Douglas valued him at). I don't think they'll make a big move up anymore with that off the table. I think outside the QBs a lot of people see Pitts, Slater, Sewell, Chase, Waddle, Surtain (some would throw Horn in there too) as clear top-10 guys, then a drop-off. 

19 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think the Jets really like Jenkins because he has the qualities they look for in offensive lineman and has the kind of talent to warrant a top 25 pick. The complaint with Becton was also that he needed some work technically, but look at why they valued him... 

Jenkins has experience playing LT, LG, RG, and RT. Joe Douglas loves that versatility. I think they'd play him at RG short-term, potentially move him to RT long-term. 

Do you think L Dickerson is a fit?

19 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think the Jets really like Jenkins because he has the qualities they look for in offensive lineman and has the kind of talent to warrant a top 25 pick. The complaint with Becton was also that he needed some work technically, but look at why they valued him... 

Jenkins has experience playing LT, LG, RG, and RT. Joe Douglas loves that versatility. I think they'd play him at RG short-term, potentially move him to RT long-term. 

What do they think of Eichenburg? Seems like he is more likely to be available when they pick. Same scenario, start at guard move to RT eventually.

18 minutes ago, football guy said:

Chances Jets go OLINE at 23 + 34?

49 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Do you think L Dickerson is a fit?

I think Dickerson can fit any offense, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets also looked at him as a guy who can play many positions (I honestly think he can play LG/C/RG/RT in the NFL). I have not heard him connected with the Jets much, and I don't know where he stands with injuries either. 

49 minutes ago, Jethead said:

What do they think of Eichenburg? Seems like he is more likely to be available when they pick. Same scenario, start at guard move to RT eventually.

I think Eichenberg is a fit as well, but I would be floored if they took him over Jenkins. Every team has different rankings so it's not to say Eichenberg won't be ranked higher by some teams, but just from a Jets perspective I would think he's a tier lower. It wouldn't surprise me if he winds up with the Chiefs or Colts when all is said and done. 

52 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Chances Jets go OLINE at 23 + 34?

I think very slim, though I would love it. I think they're going to trade out of #34 once teams have the night to reset their boards unless there's a player that's there they absolutely didn't expect to be. For instance, I could see them sticking and picking if Caleb Farley or Jaelan Phillips fell out of round 1 and made it past JAX at #33, but in an ideal world they'll look to sell that pick. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, football guy said:

I think Dickerson can fit any offense, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets also looked at him as a guy who can play many positions (I honestly think he can play LG/C/RG/RT in the NFL). I have not heard him connected with the Jets much, and I don't know where he stands with injuries either. 

I think Eichenberg is a fit as well, but I would be floored if they took him over Jenkins. Every team has different rankings so it's not to say Eichenberg won't be ranked higher by some teams, but just from a Jets perspective I would think he's a tier lower. It wouldn't surprise me if he winds up with the Chiefs or Colts when all is said and done. 

I think very slim, though I would love it. I think they're going to trade out of #34 once teams have the night to reset their boards unless there's a player that's there they absolutely didn't expect to be. For instance, I could see them sticking and picking if Caleb Farley or Jaelan Phillips fell out of round 1 and made it past JAX at #33, but in an ideal world they'll look to sell that pick. 

I don’t think I can take Dickerson at any point. His injury history is just way too much of a risk. When Mangold started breaking down it was the beginning of the end. 

I can’t have the beginning of the end happen in the first quarter of the season. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I don’t think I can take Dickerson at any point. His injury history is just way too much of a risk. When Mangold started breaking down it was the beginning of the end. 

I can’t have the beginning of the end happen in the first quarter of the season. 

Say whaaaaaat?....

Jets Practice Report: C.J. Mosley & Quinnen Williams Progressing Fast

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, football guy said:

if the jets get an OL they like at 23, yes, i can see them trading out of 34.  but what happens if the board shakes out that the tackles they want at 23 are gone, and they're looking at wr, de, cb or center?  that has to be a realistic scenario.  do they just take creed and call it a day, or do they trade back, take creed, or go BAP defense and then look to trade up from 34 to go OL?

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

@football guy

Brandt's top 100. Schragers Mock among several others has Jenkins going in the high teens. Very good chance this guy goes before us. You think theres any chance we move up for him?

I think there's a possibility if a player they like is within range that yes, they'll make the jump if the price is right with #20-21 being the sweet spot. If the pass rushers don't fly off the board I can see them holding firm and see who falls to them. 

Gil had Patrick Queen as his #18 player last year, he fell to #28. He had Kenneth Murray at #20, he fell to #23. Schrager had McKinney going #17, Josh Jones going #18, Harrison Bryant going #23 in his mock draft 2.0 last year, and those guys fell to rounds 2, 3, and 4, respectively. 

Gil has a solid grasp on player ranges and Schrager has been pretty accurate in his 3.0 mock (he'll release it next week), but it's not so insurmountable to think that that having Jenkins could fall to #23, even if Gil has him #21 on his board, or Schrager mocking him #18. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think there's a possibility if a player they like is within range that yes, they'll make the jump if the price is right with #20-21 being the sweet spot. If the pass rushers don't fly off the board I can see them holding firm and see who falls to them. 

Gil had Patrick Queen as his #18 player last year, he fell to #28. He had Kenneth Murray at #20, he fell to #23. Schrager had McKinney going #17, Josh Jones going #18, Harrison Bryant going #23 in his mock draft 2.0 last year, and those guys fell to rounds 2, 3, and 4, respectively. 

Gil has a solid grasp on player ranges and Schrager has been pretty accurate in his 3.0 mock (he'll release it next week), but it's not so insurmountable to think that that having Jenkins could fall to #23, even if Gil has him #21 on his board, or Schrager mocking him #18. 

It's amazing to think that half of the top-20 picks might be QB and OL.  Another 3 at least will be WR.  Plus a TE.  That's 14 of the top-20 on offense at least, with 15 or 16 being easily possible. It could be 8 or 9 of the top 10 on offense as well.

The first DL might not come off the board until the mid-teens.  Has that EVER happened?

Strange year.  

• Upvote 1