2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

No, what I meant was that Wilson must be really good to stick out and get mentioned because he’s not the only one with a cup cake schedule from a small school. Not that he’s singled out. 

Except Lance? And I don’t think anyone is questioning Wilson played well last year, it’s how he projects to the next level...which is the entire purpose of the draft process. So I have no idea what you’re getting at.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is a weird aside.

your post seemed to imply that since i didn't comment faster on the attacks on sanchez or geno, that i condoned them and was only upset because someone made fun of a white kid.

not sure how else to have interpreted that post.  hence my explanation that i stepped away for a moment.  and in this spirit, i must leave this enlightening conversation

1 minute ago, derp said:

Except Lance? And I don’t think anyone is questioning Wilson played well last year, it’s how he projects to the next level...which is the entire purpose of the draft process. So I have no idea what you’re getting at.

That he projects well at the next level because his skills are more important than his team or schedule 

and exactly, except Lance. Skill and talent matter. Lance barely played and still gets mentioned 

46 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Or some silly ass musical number

They’ve been trying to turn this sh*t into some kind of Grammy’s/Emmy’s imitation for a few years now.

Man you are probably right, it's only a matter of time until the musical numbers start happening. You are a man ahead of his time. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jetblue95 said:

your post seemed to imply that since i didn't comment faster on the attacks on sanchez or geno, that i condoned them and was only upset because someone made fun of a white kid.

I majored in literature and I can’t find any way you’d come close to this conclusion based on the text of my post. 

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

That he projects well at the next level because his skills are more important than his team or schedule 

and exactly, except Lance. Skill and talent matter. Lance barely played and still gets mentioned 

Yeah except skills, when you’re watching them in a football game, don’t exist in a vacuum. What you’re able to show is impacted by the other 21 guys on the field. And it’s absolutely a legitimate concern to bring up which was the entire beginning of this argument.

• Upvote 1

Just now, derp said:

Yeah except skills, when you’re watching them in a football game, don’t exist in a vacuum. What you’re able to show is impacted by the other 21 guys on the field. And it’s absolutely a legitimate concern to being up which was the entire beginning of this argument.

I disagree. I think you can show off your skills and talent no matter who you play with or against. 

It’s a little weird how different teams have different power structures.

Some teams it’s clear that the head coach picks the players, with ours JD is the big dog. 

it’s also amazing how we may pick more offense in this draft despite having a DC head coach. 

Also: the top two QBs are also the dreamiest. 

6 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

CI disagree. I think you can show off your skills and talent no matter who you play with or against. 

Nobody said you can’t. But when you’ll be playing in a vastly different context it makes it far more complex to project and quarterback projections are complex anyway.

• Upvote 1

Just now, derp said:

Nobody said you can’t. But when you’ll be playing in a vastly different context it makes it far more complex to project and quarterback projections are complex anyway.

Of course but that doesn’t mean you can’t project. I’m not saying he can’t bust, but what I’m saying is he’s got the traits for a great QB. 

On two ends of the spectrum you have Josh Allen who didn’t look great in a small school, but his talent stuck out. While on the other end you have Kyle Trask who put up great numbers vs better competition but he’s projected as a late first rounder maybe second. It’s all a balancing act, and I think Wilson has demonstrated the talent for a top 3 pick. But it’s okay if we disagree on that. 

To bring it back around, the major red flags with Wilson are:

1. Played a fruitcake schedule during a pandemic year where it looked like teams were scrimmaging each other and received what appears to be comically good OLine protection that QBs dream about, and which he will never see again.

2. He seems to have a reputation of being a poof, and the leadership questions will be huge factors if/when the Jets get off to a slow start. If he’s the effete, entitled puke that he appears to be, the locker room will chew him up with a quickness. He’s going to be tested by his teammates, and how he fares in those situations—after he’s been sheltered his entire career—will determine his fate immediately. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Played a fruitcake schedule during a pandemic year where it looked like teams were scrimmaging each other and received what appears to be comically good OLine protection that QBs dream about, and which he will never see again.

2. He seems to have a reputation of being a poof, and the leadership questions will be huge factors if/when the Jets get off to a slow start. If he’s the effete, entitled puke that he appears to be, the locker room will chew him up with a quickness. He’s going to be tested by his teammates, and how he fares in those situations—after he’s been sheltered his entire career—will determine his fate immediately. 

I guess we shall see if any of this matters.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It may be good if he’s an a$$hole. The entire offense needs to be kicked in the balls sometimes. Brady wants to be everyone’s friend, until you eff up a route...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Wit said:

It may be good if he’s an a$$hole. The entire offense needs to be kicked in the balls sometimes. Brady wants to be everyone’s friend, until you eff up a route...

You can be an a$$hole when you start putting rings on your teammates’ fingers. You can’t be an a$$hole when your big achievement is beating Tennessee in 2019.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I heard NFL locker rooms love it when a pampered, unproven rookie walks into the locker room already laden down with endorsement deals and commercials. It shows how serious he is about being a real pro. 

I guess it''s OK for Lawrence since he doesn't have a rich uncle.

Plenty of endorsement deals already coming Trevor Lawrence's way

SCOTT KEEPFER APRIL 27, 2021
Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence with coach Dabo Swinney before the ACC championship game against Notre Dame.

Despite the 2021 NFL Draft still being a few days away, former Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence already is realizing a financial windfall.

Lawrence, who is the presumptive No. 1 overall selection by the Jacksonville Jaguars when the first round of the draft unfolds Thursday night, has secured the following in the past week:

► An apparel deal with German sportswear giant Adidas. According to Sportico, the deal will include Lawrence wearing Adidas cleats on the field as well as appearing in marketing for the brand.

► A national deal with Gatorade, which was announced Friday. Lawrence is the first quarterback to secure a national deal with the brand since Cam Newton, according to Gatorade.

“Signing with Gatorade was an easy choice,” Lawrence said. “I have deep ties to the brand, and I’ve used most of the products throughout my entire athletic journey. It’s important to me to surround myself with the best, and I believe that Gatorade is just that when it comes to sports science, hydration and elevating my performance.”

► An endorsement deal with the cryptocurrency investment app Blockfolio. Lawrence and Blockfolio announced the partnership Monday morning via Twitter.

► Spotrac reports that if Lawrence is the No. 1 pick Thursday night, he’ll be in line to land a four-year contract worth almost $35 million, including a signing bonus of $22.5 million.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah but the beautiful throws facing Reno Community College

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You can be an a$$hole when you start putting rings on your teammates’ fingers. You can’t be an a$$hole when your big achievement is beating Tennessee in 2019.

Yeah, he can’t go last the knuckle at first, just the tip is ok. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You forgot that he has an extremely punchable face.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

AVAST ME HEARTIES!!! 

Look no further than the 2020 draft, and ye shall find yer solution to the quarterback position. I don't want to set fire to the entire fanbase, but I've got what you might call an inside track. ;)

Don't be surprised to see a curveball this evening.

**** YEAH CAPTAIN MORGAN

10 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Of course but that doesn’t mean you can’t project. I’m not saying he can’t bust, but what I’m saying is he’s got the traits for a great QB. 

On two ends of the spectrum you have Josh Allen who didn’t look great in a small school, but his talent stuck out. While on the other end you have Kyle Trask who put up great numbers vs better competition but he’s projected as a late first rounder maybe second. It’s all a balancing act, and I think Wilson has demonstrated the talent for a top 3 pick. But it’s okay if we disagree on that. 

I think my confusion largely stems from my (perhaps incorrect) interpretation of your first post being “his team and schedule don’t matter because he’s going too three” now becoming “him going top three is reasonable because team and schedule don’t matter”. It feels circular.

I’m glad you brought up Allen. I liked him, he was raw and played bad teams but he also played with terrible players. That made stuff like his completion percentage look worse.

And Trask, I don’t like. I think he lacks zip and really benefitted from being able to throw it up to three NFL draft picks, including the best position player in this year’s class for my money, and let them make plays.

Wilson’s pretty obviously benefitted from his supporting cast, more similar to Trask and less similar to Allen for my money. There are a lot of stats to indicate this. The BYU OL was PFF’s #2 in the country, he had the largest percentage of throws after more than 4 seconds by a factor of two, the folks who did the production on one axis with supporting cast vs competition on the other had only Alabama with a better supporting cast relative to completion when compared to BYU, and his completion percentage percentiles were far better than his on target percentage percentiles across all scenarios which indicates his wide receivers helped him instead of hurting him. The great offensive line means more time to hunt those pretty downfield throws.

All of that is to say that Wilson had gorgeous counting stats and I think counting stats are overrated. Pretty sure his supporting cast and schedule helped prop him up in all facets instead of him elevating them.

He’s certainly got arm talent, I was actually one of the first few folks on this site to prop him up for that and project him as a first round pick. But given the high bust rate at the top of the draft and what to me is a really clear trend of the successful quarterbacks being the ones who have gone to stable situations, to me he’s a guy who should be going somewhere around 10 plus or minus a few picks. And I feel the same about Fields and Lance. Think all of those guys have talent but it’s best cultivated going to a team with a legitimate supporting cast, good coaching staff, and a bridge quarterback who will let them sit for a year or two.

I think the Jets are hoping to become a stable situation with Wilson rather than bringing him into a stable situation, a situation like any team drafting a quarterback in the top 3-5 would have, but that pretty much never works out. Think the guys good enough to transcend unstable situations are once or twice a decade rare and otherwise teams are better off finding a guy with a skill set they want to develop in that ten plus or minus a few picks range and working with him for a year or two before letting him hit the field.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I majored in literature and I can’t find any way you’d come close to this conclusion based on the text of my post. 

You probably also can’t find a job, but that’s besides the point. 

• Haha 1