Joe Douglas Zooming w/Reporters Today at 2:00

21 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. They have the #2 pick largely because Sam is a bad QB. 

Well, yeah, but Douglas seems to be saying even if they had pick # 3, Darnold would likely still be a Jet.  That says more about how Douglas feels about the QB prospects than how he feels about Darnold.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Thuney got $80mn from the team that’s been in the last 2 Super Bowls.  I wanted him too, but he was never coming here with that offer from them.

Possibly/probably.... but OL is the one place where no expense should be spared.  When you do well fiscally as Joe has, saving some money, getting the Cap right, etc. it lets you do something like splurge for an insurance policy.  If this organization ruins two Top 3 QBs in a row it will prove once and for all how cursed the organization is.  We threw what, $86M at CJ Mosley, $45M at Carl Lawson this year???  JD should not only be looking to the Draft for OL but should be on the phone with other NFL teams offering picks as high as #34 to get an elite RT or OG.  JMHO.  The repair job Carolina has to do with Darnold is due to the Jets shell-shocking him for years, making him run for his life in the hopes of finding an open Braxton Berrios or Josh Malone streaking down the field.  That's not how you develop good habits in a QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Bring on the next batch of Jabari Zunigas, Cameron Clarks, L'Michal Perines and James Morgans!!

Zuniga, Clark, and a side of Morgan as a capable QB2 are going to make this post age poorly.

Perine, we're in lock step agreement on.  Bad pick.  Hopefully this coaching staff, which makes a lot of RB's look good, get some use out of him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm pretty shocked at how candid JD is being. Basically confirmed we're taking Zach Wilson.

Yep.  Like John Lynch said, you don't have to hide much when you pick this early.

Let's give Wilson the play book and Corey's phone number.   

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Refreshing to see the franchise on the same page as for once. Starting new here seems long overdue. It was always half assed in the past.

It's like Back to the Future with a first-time HC from the defensive side of the ball and a rookie QB!

What could go wrong?!?!? lol

1371483825000-wnyj-1306171146_16_9.jpg.a67cd88bd419e6bdd8afdd0c4657d476.jpg

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zuniga, Clark, and a side of Morgan as a capable QB2 are going to make this post age poorly.

Perine, we're in lock step agreement on.  Bad pick.  Hopefully this coaching staff, which makes a lot of RB's look good, get some use out of him. 

Perine looked like all all-star against our D in the preseason scrimmage game.  Too bad we don't play ourselves.

• Haha 1

Well what do you expect JD to say?

Its obvious were taking zach.

By not making any bones about it, he sends a message that if anyone wants the 2 pick, youd better send a crazy offer.

smart. Probs wont happen but showing your hand at this point is the right move

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jets are going to have Zach Wilson ahead of Trevor Lawrence on their final draft board, but how genuine that will be is TBD... could just be a "statement" of their commitment. The truth will lie in the grade, and I'm really excited to find out where Zach is on the 8-point scale

Chris Pratt Oh Snap GIF

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Possibly/probably.... but OL is the one place where no expense should be spared.  When you do well fiscally as Joe has, saving some money, getting the Cap right, etc. it lets you do something like splurge for an insurance policy.  If this organization ruins two Top 3 QBs in a row it will prove once and for all how cursed the organization is.  We threw what, $86M at CJ Mosley, $45M at Carl Lawson this year???  JD should not only be looking to the Draft for OL but should be on the phone with other NFL teams offering picks as high as #34 to get an elite RT or OG.  JMHO.  The repair job Carolina has to do with Darnold is due to the Jets shell-shocking him for years, making him run for his life in the hopes of finding an open Braxton Berrios or Josh Malone streaking down the field.  That's not how you develop good habits in a QB.

The only 2 OL that were worth splurging on were Thuney and Linsley.  That's it, end of list.  And Thuney got good money from KC.  Why would he come here even for a good bit more money?  Money is the top factor for all/most FA's but it isn't the ONLY factor.  

Quality OL just don't hit free agency often.  Even in a year where the cap went down that was the case.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

this is so dumb...so they traded darnold but they are not locked in on a QB with their pick? maybe they should call the bears and see if QB1 Dalton is available? I know no one ever says anything in these things, but Douglas is so full of hot air.

So you want him to announce the pick on a Zoom call three weeks before the draft?

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jets are going to have Zach Wilson ahead of Trevor Lawrence on their final draft board, but how genuine that will be is TBD... could just be a "statement" of their commitment. The truth will lie in the grade, and I'm really excited to find out where Zach is on the 8-point scale

You would have to think REALLY high. I was also super happy to finally hear something about Morgan. I was thinking maybe it was Hackenburg the 2nd...

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Free agency is a 2-way street.  Was there any evidence Thuney wanted to sign here, even in an overpay situation?  Same thing with Corey Linsley?  I'm asking honestly because I have no idea.

Douglas said in this same zoom session that he wants the Jets to be come a FA destination.  They're obviously a long way away from that.  It requires having a lot of homegrown talent first.

I agree with all of this and the several comments made about FA being a choice and one that Joe Thuney would have had to make regardless of the $$.  There's still just an overall sense of frustration obviously on my part at how the improvement of the OLine has taken place at a snail's pace.  Where is the creativity in terms of a trade for a RT or an OG?  Why is all of the Jets recent trading success only attributable to departing talent rather than acquiring it?  It's not just Joe Thuney and it's not just about this free agency period for Joe Douglas.... Why isn't Jack Conklin a Jet? How about pursuing Costanzo or Glasgow harder last year?  (Yes, all three were better than what we had in 2020)

We've got a giant steaming pile of Meh everywhere right of our left tackle.  The Jets had the 29th ranked OLine last year.  It's past the time for words about supporting the QB.  It's time to actually support the QB.

• Thumb Down 2