GASE Effect: Proven algorithm will mean most success for what jets?

Numbnuts Gase has proven players thrive when he leaves or they are moved to another team via trade/cut. Losing Gase as coach has produced AllPro votes, Comeback Player of Year etc etc

So based on that what Jets and why will most positively grow their game this year?

My first pick is Herndon based on Gase running system he admitted only used TEs for blocking and rumor that JD told Gase to involve him last 3-4 games of year when he caught 17 of 21 targets , 3-4 TDs and showed damn nice mobility and was catching ball with his hands, a habit he had gotten out of.

• Upvote 3

agree with herndon - could have a really good bounce back year - and seriously every hold over from last years team should do better with professional and competent coaching staff - even greg williams who certainly has had his moments as defensive coordinator only coached guys down last year - i’m sure every player on the team is in “ good bye and good riddance” mode

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

My first pick is Herndon based on Gase running system he admitted only used TEs for blocking and rumor that JD told Gase to involve him last 3-4 games of year when he caught 17 of 21 targets , 3-4 TDs and showed damn nice mobility and was catching ball with his hands, a habit he had gotten out of.

This would be Yuge!

12 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Numbnuts Gase has proven players thrive when he leaves or they are moved to another team via trade/cut. Losing Gase as coach has produced AllPro votes, Comeback Player of Year etc etc

So based on that what Jets and why will most positively grow their game this year?

I hadn't heard that one. Honestly I expected him to draft a TE, but maybe this is partly why he didn't. He wasn't without bad drops last year, too.

Also the economics of the position:

If Herndon has another letdown season, TE is rarely a position that requires upper 1st round investment (not that we don't have two 1s and two 2s next year).

On the flip side, if he pans out, it's also not a position that typically commands upper-level money: there are 5 TEs in the league making $9MM+ so Herndon is an easy franchise tag if he's commanding north of what Douglas is willing to match -- make him do it twice.

• Upvote 1

Just now, kdels62 said:

Can’t wait for pick 34 in next years draft from the Pathers.

I will be interested to see the narrative around here and how it changes if the Panthers do well this year instead of epically awful as most seem to suspect.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I will be interested to see the narrative around here and how it changes if the Panthers do well this year instead of epically awful as most seem to suspect.

I will accept a failure to properly estimate the team. I’m also willing to accept that Darnold did something without precedent and became a good NFL QB. 

But chances are highest that Darnold will be bad and therefore his team will likely be bad. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Every one of the players everyone complained about being “stifled” by Gase is an average player. They just drafted a WR1 because Parker is average. Kenyan Drake sucks. Tannehill is a game manager who hasn’t won sh*t. 

How can you be so wrong about Wilson but so right about this?

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I hadn't heard that one. Honestly I expected him to draft a TE, but maybe this is partly why he didn't. He wasn't without bad drops last year, too.

Also the economics of the position:

If Herndon has another letdown season, TE is rarely a position that requires upper 1st round investment (not that we don't have two 1s and two 2s next year).

On the flip side, if he pans out, it's also not a position that typically commands upper-level money: there are 5 TEs in the league making $9MM+ so Herndon is an easy franchise tag if he's commanding north of what Douglas is willing to match -- make him do it twice.

The TE group is a pretty strange and interesting bunch. It will be interesting to see how LaFleur plans to use Herndon, Kroft, Griffin, Wesco, etc.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I will accept a failure to properly estimate the team. I’m also willing to accept that Darnold did something without precedent and became a good NFL QB. 

But chances are highest that Darnold will be bad and therefore his team will likely be bad. 

We will know by game 8 that is for sure.

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

Not to rain on your parade, but that effect seemed much less for the Players he left behind in Miami and stayed in Miami over the ones who left Miami. 

Although, I do think herndon could be a big comeback player. 

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The TE group is a pretty strange and interesting bunch. It will be interesting to see how LaFleur plans to use Herndon, Kroft, Griffin, Wesco, etc.

I'm pretty sure that Griffin is gone and I would not be surprised if the Jets let Wesco walk.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is the correct answer as much as it will horrify some people on this site.

Define what a Darnold rebound would look like. Then let’s make some sort of wager — bragging rights, signature change, etc.

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Probably the same.people still crying about the 3rd round picks we traded.

It’s not crying to point out it would be better to have those picks than have burned them plus a first rounder on yet another bust QB.