OTAs this week

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Wonder what's up with Becton and Crowder?  I know it's voluntary, but if I was Crowder, with Moore being drafted, I'd be here protecting my $10,000,000.

Maybe he talked to Saleh and explained why and forgot to call you?? B)

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Wonder what's up with Becton and Crowder?  I know it's voluntary, but if I was Crowder, with Moore being drafted, I'd be here protecting my $10,000,000.

And what about Mims?  Ah, he was lights out last season anyway, so never mind.  He's good to go.

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Here’s the thread where the story was Teddy Bridgewater’s performance rather than Sam Darnold’s performance.

It does not mean anything but the tone of that thread is just so amazingly different. Sam looking like crap and Zach throwing darts. Nothing to hang your hat on but still a good initial sign.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

And what about Mims?  Ah, he was lights out last season anyway, so never mind.  He's good to go.

@Lith posted a picture of him being there early in the week, so I'm not concerned.  

As I said, it's voluntary, but he has a young guy in camp who's after his spot.   Crowder has $10M riding on it.  I'd be there.  

• Upvote 1

Three years.  And 21 of 22 starters are gone.  That...is...incredible.  The 2018 team has been completely erased.

And of those 21 replaced starters, maybe 6 are still starting anywhere in the league.

Darnold, Robby, Beachum, Leo, McLendon, Jamal.  I think that's it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Call me crazy, but even with his injury the first year and the opt out I just get the feeling that Moseley will stick here for a while.

Seems to me that we're adding either our best or second best defensive player to the 2021 roster

• Upvote 1

One thing that may be kind of funny for Jets fans this year is I wouldn't be surprised (read - I'd be basically bummed) if the offense lit up the defense in training camp. We're so accustomed to hearing all of these reports that the defense is dominant and our QB (whether it was Sanchez, Geno, or Darnold) - wasn't really able to move the ball well against our defense. The question was always whether our QBs actually sucked or the defense was just way ahead of the offense. 

This year if the offense isn't lighting up the defense - we probably have a big problem. Maybe if this was full tackle it'd be different - but w/o hitting Wilson/no fear of a rush - I'd fully expect our WRs to get open against our sh*tty CBs - so I'll be kind of bummed if the offense isn't regularly dominating our D. Which will beg the question - is Wilson/our offense legit or does our D just blow now?

Just now, Columbia Jet Fan said:

One thing that may be kind of funny for Jets fans this year is I wouldn't be surprised (read - I'd be basically bummed) if the offense lit up the defense in training camp. We're so accustomed to hearing all of these reports that the defense is dominant and our QB (whether it was Sanchez, Geno, or Darnold) - wasn't really able to move the ball well against our defense. The question was always whether our QBs actually sucked or the defense was just way ahead of the offense. 

This year if the offense isn't lighting up the defense - we probably have a big problem. Maybe if this was full tackle it'd be different - but w/o hitting Wilson/no fear of a rush - I'd fully expect our WRs to get open against our sh*tty CBs - so I'll be kind of bummed if the offense isn't regularly dominating our D. Which will beg the question - is Wilson/our offense legit or does our D just blow now?

Classic post

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

My god. And Sam was going against 2nd stringers too wasn’t he? Woof. 

I totally forgot Hack was still here with Sam. 

He got traded after the first week of OTAs. 

Sam looking bad in early practices kinda makes everything seem obvious. 

8 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Our D will be a top 10 and our O in the upper 20s, at least in 2021 thus leveling off in 2022.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, flgreen said:

@Lith posted a picture of him being there early in the week, so I'm not concerned.  

As I said, it's voluntary, but he has a young guy in camp who's after his spot.   Crowder has $10M riding on it.  I'd be there.  

If it's me?  I'm there, too.  After the endless debacle of the last few years, EVERYONE should be at those OTAs, especially with a new HC/QB.  WTF else in your life is more important than your job in the NFL?

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

#MUSH

Westerners are frequently shocked by the nature of tri-state driving.  Out west NOBODY EVER passes on the right.  In the mountain west, driving is just different.  For one of many examples, have you ever been passed by an ATV on the road wearing a license plate?    You know, one of these:

image.jpeg.43c7e6109f0cda724e61c2132ad1f7a5.jpeg

It is a common sight in Utah.

Then there is the other side of the coin.  A friend of mine was on his way back from college in West Virginia when he passed through the Delaware Water gap and into New Jersey.  After about a half hour, a Mercedes came screaming past him and cut him off.  My friend remarked:, "I'm home".   True story.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Three years.  And 21 of 22 starters are gone.  That...is...incredible.  The 2018 team has been completely erased.

And of those 21 replaced starters, maybe 6 are still starting anywhere in the league.

Darnold, Robby, Beachum, Leo, McLendon, Jamal.  I think that's it.

Wow

40 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Here is my thought on CBs: We are so used to thinking of corners in terms of man coverage behind a bunch of exotic pressures, Cover 0 blitzes and all that. But this defense is entirely different. Almost entirely zone, and we actually have a number of players that are really good at zone. I think our coverage will be much better than expected because of the philosophy. We don't need 1st round man guys for this defense.

• Upvote 1

Zach Wilson looks sharp as Jets begin OTAs, so can he continue building on this? Practice observations, takeaways

Updated 3:35 PM; Today 1:47 PM 

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

About a month ago, on April 29, the Jets drafted Zach Wilsonsecond overall, hoping he could be their long-sought franchise quarterback solution.

And though that was never going to be determined Thursday — at one spring practice — it was the first fully open practice of Wilson’s brief NFL career.

So let’s bring you some observations and takeaways about how he looked.

First, an obvious disclaimer: Don’t read too much into Wilson’s “performance” at Thursday’s practice. It was just one organized team activities practice in late May. (Still, there’s a bunch he can accomplish in the spring, as we noted here.)

The Jets have 10 voluntary OTAs practices this spring, plus a three-day, mandatory minicamp in mid-June. These are all no-pads, no-contact sessions. And six of the 13 (including the entire minicamp) are open to reporters.

Thursday was the Jets’ third OTAs practice of the spring, but the first that was open to reporters. During rookie minicamp earlier this month, the Jets had two practices that were partially open to reporters. So Thursday was a big day for checking out Wilson.

And here’s what happened:

• The numbers: Wilson got eight reps in 11-on-11 team periods and 13 reps in 7-on-7 drills. He completed 2 of 3 passes in team periods and 10 of 13 passes in 7-on-7s. Stats from a spring practice don’t matter a ton, but there you have it.

• What went well: Wilson had a great thrown in 7-on-7s, as he connected with Keelan Cole, who got a lot of action Thursday with Denzel Mims and Jamison Crowder absent, and Corey Davis present but not participating (undisclosed reason). On his pass to Cole, 25 yards down the sideline, Wilson dropped the ball in perfectly, over tight coverage from Bless Austin. That was Wilson’s best throw of practice — an elite-level pass. Wilson also showed good zip on his passes over the middle (seam routes in particular), as he didn’t hold the ball too long — a positive sign for a rookie quarterback learning an offense. Seam-route passes to tight ends Chris Herndon and Tyler Kroft — on back-to-back plays — stood out, as did a 20-yard pass over the middle that Wilson threaded nicely to Braxton Berrios. All three were in 7-on-7s.

• What went not so well: There were no major mistakes, though it’s not like Wilson was challenged with a lot of team periods reps or particularly complex throws. But in terms of what Wilson was asked to do, he managed to keep things steady, for the most part. He had a high pass over the middle that Cole grabbed — a nice catch on an off-target throw. Later in that segment of team periods, Wilson was under pressure and threw a low pass to Herndon that fell incomplete. One of Wilson’s 7-on-7s incomplete passes was a drop by rookie running back Michael Carter. Another was a badly overthrown deep ball down the sideline. And the third was a tight-window deep sideline throw to Elijah Moore that Elijah Campbell did a superb job of breaking up.

• Impressing Robert Saleh: The Jets’ new head coach has liked what he’s seen so far from Wilson. It’s not unreasonable to think Wilson will start in Week 1, especially since the Jets don’t have a veteran quarterback already on the roster. Before Thursday’s practice, Saleh raved about Wilson’s “relentless” attitude in studying the playbook. That’s a good early sign. Saleh said Wilson has “a lot of horsepower in his mind.” Let’s see if Wilson can translate that to game-speed decisions. That’s a tall order for any rookie quarterback.

• Final analysis: Just one spring practice, yes. Yet Wilson not only emerged from the practice healthy (priority No. 1 in the spring), but also showed some flashes — with that deep pass down the sideline to Cole, and the zip he put on throws over the middle. Wilson seems to have a reasonably solid grasp of the offense at this point. Bigger hurdles remain for him, of course. But so far, so good. He didn’t look lost on Thursday. So there’s that. He’ll have to do a lot more in the coming weeks and months, when more significant challenges will be thrown at him.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Westerners are frequently shocked by the nature of tri-state driving.  Out west NOBODY EVER passes on the right.  In the mountain west, driving is just different.  For one of many examples, have you ever been passed by an ATV on the road wearing a license plate?    You know, one of these:

image.jpeg.43c7e6109f0cda724e61c2132ad1f7a5.jpeg

It is a common sight in Utah.

Then there is the other side of the coin.  A friend of mine was on his way back from college in West Virginia when he passed through the Delaware Water gap and into New Jersey.  After about a half hour, a Mercedes came screaming past him and cut him off.  My friend remarked:, "I'm home".   True story.

LA, OC and San Diego freeways are pretty crazy actually

• Upvote 2