Look Back: How Good was Revis in 2009???

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

He was a very good, HOF worthy DB.  Let me say that up-front.

With that out of the way, I also continue to think that Revis benefitted from "superstar reputation" as much as his actual play.

It's far easier to give up low yards and few TD's when QB's and OCo's are terrified of throwing in your direction.

Between his great (at times) play, and his massive, hyped, reputation, as well as the Refs treating him to some degree under "Jordan Rules" when it came to PI, it was obvious that most O-Co's simply preferred to beat up on our other, much less good, DB's rather than even test Revis.

And there is a difference between being constantly tested and winning, and not being tested much at all.

As Revis got a little older, and O-Co's started testing him, his "elite Revis Island" rep was torn up, he was burned, alot, regularly, in those later years.

One wonders if he was tested alot more in those "elite" years if he'd still have been so elite.  Maybe he would, it was pre-injuries as well, which surely played a factor in his speedy decline in those later years.

Always an interesting topic.  

That's part of being a great CB - they don't even bother to look your way. He took away an opponent's best WR. They didn't even try to challenge him. He was that good

You're right - OCs did decide to just attack other areas (ex. #2 CB) as #2 WRs were often better than #2 CBs

This led to a slight change in some defensive philosophies: some teams started to put their best corner on the #2 WR man to man and double up on the #1 WR (#2 CB and safety help)

Lets just take a quick look at just how good Revis was in 2009.   

[/url] Love him or hate him simply amazing!!
2009 was the very best season ANY CB that's ever played in the NFL has ever had. Bar none. The only it could have been better is if Revis had held Megatron to 1 reception for 13 yards in 2009 like he did in 2010. Revis is the BEST CB to have ever played the game.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

Wow some of you seriously underrate Deon Sanders. People didn't throw to his side of the field either. Why? There was a good chance he was going to pick you off and take it to the house. Sanders was a great corner and play maker.
And how exactly was it his fault? NFL teams learned early to NEVER bother throwing in Revis' direction. Tom Brady learned early on in like the 2nd or 3rd game of the season that he would not throw in Revis' direction. Revis made Moss, the patsy best receiving option back then, his BITCH. You can't fault the guy because no one dared to throw in his direction.

• Upvote 1

Wow some of you seriously underrate Deon Sanders. People didn't throw to his side of the field either. Why? There was a good chance he was going to pick you off and take it to the house. Sanders was a great corner and play maker.
Sanders didn't like to tackle. He was pretty much a pussy when it came to tackling. Revis was a textbook tackler that would routinely Tackle larger players than him.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Best year by a Corner ever and didn’t get DPOY.

Yep.  They wanted to give Woodson a "Lifetime Achievement" DPOY of sorts instead (admittedly, he did have a fantastic season, with 9 INTs and 3 TDs), and felt Revis wasn't established enough to deserve the award.  The writers are weird.

• Upvote 2

On 6/4/2021 at 10:05 AM, rldev said:

Yes but Revis was physical and very good if not great in run support but also amazing at blowing up WR screens for losses.  Different players but equally dominant with the different skill sets.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:50 AM, Warfish said:

With that out of the way, I also continue to think that Revis benefitted from "superstar reputation" as much as his actual play.

It's far easier to give up low yards and few TD's when QB's and OCo's are terrified of throwing in your direction.

Between his great (at times) play, and his massive, hyped, reputation, as well as the Refs treating him to some degree under "Jordan Rules" when it came to PI, it was obvious that most O-Co's simply preferred to beat up on our other, much less good, DB's rather than even test Revis.

And there is a difference between being constantly tested and winning, and not being tested much at all.

As Revis got a little older, and O-Co's started testing him, his "elite Revis Island" rep was torn up, he was burned, alot, regularly, in those later years.

One wonders if he was tested alot more in those "elite" years if he'd still have been so elite.  Maybe he would, it was pre-injuries as well, which surely played a factor in his speedy decline in those later years.

2009 he shut down a monster list of elite Wr’s they didn’t avoid him they didn’t not throw to Calvin Johnson or Chad Johnson or Randy Moss ect Revis just shut that sh*t down period!

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes but Revis was physical and very good if not great in run support but also amazing at blowing up WR screens for losses.  Different players but equally dominant with the different skill sets.

I couldn't imagine a prime Revis during the 80s and 90s era of Sanders. 

If Revis was allowed to get away with murder by being able to physically destroy opposing WR's before the NFL rule changes? 

This would'nt even be a discussion on who the greatest coverage CB of All Time is. 

Put Revis in Sanders era. 

Now...

Put Sanders in Revis era. 

No comparison. 

Sanders is imo the greatest KR/PR but Revis was the greatest man to man CB of All Time and unlike Sanders, Revis didn't hide against #2 WRs throughout 90% of his career. 

On 6/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, Tranquilo said:

I think what separates him from most of the other elite cover corners is that he shadowed the team's best receiver. There are some great corners who stuck to one side of the field so QBs just threw to the other side. With Revis, he didn't take a side out, but he took the best receiver on the team out. Forcing the QB to throw to everyone but their best receiver is impressive. 

Another factor are the rule changes. He played in an era where it's tougher to cover WRs because of all the rule changes. 

I don't disagree that if QBs took more shots, maybe he's not as dominant as he seemed, but man I've never seen any other CB come close in his generation (in terms of coverage).

Excellent post, not to mention Rex purposely overload blitzed the opposite side from Revis purposely and also rolling all coverage to that same side as the blitz forcing the QB to HAVE to throw to the one on one coverage of Revis vs the #1 WR and Revis won almost always, and Rex had the balls to let him man up vs the best in the league and expected him to win and he did.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I couldn't imagine a prime Revis during the 80s and 90s era of Sanders. 

If Revis was allowed to get away with murder by being able to physically destroy opposing WR's before the NFL rule changes? 

This would'nt even be a discussion on who the greatest coverage CB of All Time is. 

Put Revis in Sanders era. 

Now...

Put Sanders in Revis era. 

No comparison. 

Sanders is imo the greatest KR/PR but Revis was the greatest man to man CB of All Time and unlike Sanders, Revis didn't hide against #2 WRs throughout 90% of his career. 

I hear you, but don’t sell Deon short he wasn’t very physical, he could cover the best route runners step for step in any era.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

2009 he shut down a monster list of elite Wr’s they didn’t avoid him they didn’t not throw to Calvin Johnson or Chad Johnson or Randy Moss ect Revis just shut that sh*t down period!

2009 was the greatest season an NFL CB has ever recorded. 2nd to none. 

image.png.e2b440f4b0a1f932101a917bcaff7d7e.png

The ACL injury happened in 2012 but throughout his rookie season of 2007 up until 2011; Revis had the greatest 5 year run @ CB of All-time. 

He was pure greatness and no CB ever studied their WRs quite like #24 once did. 

He was so great even coming off a horrific ACL injury he was still able to receive 1 First Team All Pro selection and another 2 Pro Bowls. 

I feel bad, very sorry and pity those Jet fans who hated Revis for demanding to be paid as the #1 best and therefore they weren't able to enjoy the greatest CB who ever lived to play the game (so thankful I'm not one of those suckers). 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I hear you, but don’t sell Deon short he wasn’t very physical, he could cover the best route runners step for step in any era.

I hear you as well but it's just frustrating when Jet fans don't even realize just how extremely difficult it was for Revis to play man to man one on one on an island during Darrell's NFL era of Football in comparison to the CBs of the 80's/90's who were allowed to get away with absolute murder. 

To be the best you've gotta beat the best and 90% of the time #21 was hidden on the other side of the field against lesser #2 WRs. However when it was time to matchup against Jerry Rice? When #21 would no longer hide? Jerry Rice smoked him and absolutely destroyed Sanders 9/10 x. 

My favorite #24 game (better than Megatron's) was 2010 @ INDY during the PLAYOFFS. Revis held a prime REGGIE WAYNE (1st team All-Pro) to 1 catch for 1 yard while completely mind ******* #18 Manning @ the same time. 

Never witnessed anything like Revis. And still haven't. 

How the fk do you eliminate Manning and the Colts on the road when your starting QB Sanchez throws 1 INT & 0 TDs?!?

• Upvote 1

I’m a huge Revis fan. Some of you know this. I feel like he’s not as appreciated due to his countless holdouts. 

Not being bias, but that 2009 season was one of the most dominant seasons I have ever seen from ANY player in ANY sport. 

Off the top of my head, I’m going to name players that he literally shut down: Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Randy Moss (2x), Roddy White, Marques Colston, Chad Johnson, Vincent Jackson  I’m def missing some  but he was spectacular. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I’m a huge Revis fan. Some of you know this. I feel like he’s not as appreciated due to his countless holdouts. 

Not being bias, but that 2009 season was one of the most dominant seasons I have ever seen from ANY player in ANY sport. 

Off the top of my head, I’m going to name players that he literally shut down: Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Randy Moss (2x), Roddy White, Marques Colston, Chad Johnson, Vincent Jackson  I’m def missing some  but he was spectacular. 

Well said. 

However, you most certainly missed some (above).

Terrell Owens (x2), Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne!

Man. #24 Revis Island we'll just say blanketed the entire 2009 calendar!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/4/2021 at 10:50 AM, Warfish said:

Randy Moss and Brady tested Revis a lot and failed miserably.  There is video evidence.    They decided to quit testing him. 

6 hours ago, Ghost said:

8c8a1fe2f14ade35246c0cd56f7b76fb--new-en

In the realm of unforgiveable sins, this is number one for me.

But I'm old school.  I don't appreciate guys who win titles with our most hated rivals.

Is he a HOF'er?  Yep.  Was he, for a brief period, amazing?  Yep.

Was he the best ever?  Like any "best ever" argument, it can be debated.  

If I'm building a team, he's not my #1 at CB, but if he's yours, great.

He's much like Namath in my book, he warrants the Hall, but is as much media hype as he was actual play.

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But I'm old school.  I don't appreciate guys who win titles with our most hated rivals.

He's much like Namath in my book, he warrants the Hall, but is as much media hype as he was actual play.

You don’t think he’s the greatest CB  in Jet history or are you saying it’s debatable whether or not he’s the greatest of all time? 

36 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You don’t think he’s the greatest CB  in Jet history or are you saying it’s debatable whether or not he’s the greatest of all time? 

He's obviously the best DB in Jets History.

I would not say he is the best DB of all time.

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

You can’t ignore the constant contract disputes and holdouts when you evaluate Revis. Was he a great cover corner in 09? Yes. Was he a completely selfish player who cared much more about money than winning and the Jets? Yes. Revis always measured his career in dollars and not wins.  He was the most contract centric player I can remember.  Every. Single. Off-season. Revis Island is the perfect nickname for him as a player and a teammate. His holdouts hurt the team.  And I never saw one example of leadership or locker room presence from him. When the team started to resemble a circus in 2010, he was one of the ringleaders.  People  knock Namath, but he cares and he is still following and supporting the team. Where is Revis?  He doesn’t care. He’s counting his money in Pittsburgh with his uncle.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Fair enough but I like this picture little better but can’t quite put my finger on it why 

0C8819F2-9FE8-4E45-B956-F72ACA9A6A88.jpeg

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

One more thing about Revis. He went to the Jets rival and won a SB there.  Do you think Namath would have ever ever played for the Raiders?  Nope.  

I still remember  crying my fat olive oil tears into my grandmas apron when I saw him playing  for the Rams. 

• Haha 2

I'd love Revis to return one day as our NYJs DB Coach. 

Why?

Because his film evaluation and the ways he studied opposing NFL WRs were the greatest of All-Time and second to none. 

No one studied the position off the field, quite like Revis. 

He knew the routes WRs were about to run before they ran them based off their body language;

Never seen anything like it...

12 hours ago, Ghost said:

He dominated Ochocinco twice in the 2009 season in back to back games.