Soccer Player Collapses

Just watching the Euro 2020 competition.  One of the stars for Denmark, Christian Eriksen collapsed and I think died on the field.  They did chest compressions and at one point defibrillation.  Very, very scary.  I felt sick watching the medical team attempt to revive him.  Off the field now so we should get an update soon.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Not 100% positive but I think he's awake and responsive.  Definitely too early to speculate he died.  Scary regardless.

They finally carted him off to applause so I think you're correct that he might be alive.  But at one point, you can see the players frantic and crying.  He was not moving with his eyes wide open on the ground.  He looked dead.  They started wild chest compressions and I saw his body jump from defibrillation. 

25 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Once chest compressions are performed, the person is legally dead. Hopefully, he was resuscitated and can recover safely in the hospital. Very scary stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That's not true. 

Hopefully the player recovers. The player could've suffered an arrhythmia and chest compressions were started unnecessarily or out of an abundance of caution. 

• Upvote 2

Really horrible to watch. The way he collapsed with no-one near him, I really thought he had gone. When they were doing CPR for so long, it really did not look good at all.

So relieved that the medical team managed to revive him and he is now stable.

Very scary stuff.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

That's not true. 

Hopefully the player recovers. The player could've suffered an arrhythmia and chest compressions were started unnecessarily or out of an abundance of caution. 

Yeah bystanders will starts compressions on anybody who passes out- can’t blame them trying to do the right thing but often ends up in contusions or some broken ribs

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Once chest compressions are performed, the person is legally dead. Hopefully, he was resuscitated and can recover safely in the hospital. Very scary stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Not until declared dead by an MD.  Until that point, you continue all attempts at reviving the patient.

Pretty definitive proof that until they revived him, Eriksen was gone.

Denmark team doctor Morten Boesen: "When I get to him he is on his side. He is breathing and I can feel his pulse but suddenly that changes"

Denmark's team doctor Morten Boesen said: "I didn’t see it myself but it was pretty clear that he was unconscious.

"When I get to him he is on his side. He is breathing and I can feel his pulse but suddenly that changes and as everyone saw, we started giving him CPR.

"Help came really, really fast from the medical team and the rest of the staff and with their cooperation we did what we had to do. We managed to get Christian back. He spoke to me before he was taken to the hospital for more analysis."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/christian-eriksen-live-updates-denmark-24306189

Good news:

Inter CEO Giuseppe Marotta: "Eriksen just sent a message on Inter WhatsApp chat"

Speaking to Rai Sport, Inter Milan's CEO Giuseppe Marotta revealed that Eriksen has sent a message to the club's WhatsApp group.

He said: "Christian Eriksen just sent a message on Inter WhatsApp chat, it was few minutes ago. 

"We’re optimistic about Christian conditions, Denmark staff told us that the situation is under control."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/christian-eriksen-live-updates-denmark-24306189

Eriksen FaceTimed Denmark teammates from hospital

Christian Eriksen reportedly FaceTimed his Denmark teammates urging them to resume their Euro 2020 clash with Finland.

A source close to the Danish team told German TV that Eriksen had been in contact with his team, telling them to finish the game as they look for a winning start to the tournament.

Denmark players have spoken to Eriksen

Danish FA director Peter Møller has told broadcaster DR that the players have spoken to Eriksen from the hospital.

He said: "We have been in contact with him, and the players have spoken with Christian. That's the good news. He is doing well and they are playing the match for Christian. Our thoughts are with Christian's parents and his family.

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Wow. What a roller coaster. Scrolling this thread he went from dead to alive to Finland winning 

straight up chills 

Larz, I was watching in real time and my heart dropped when Eriksen stumbled and fell.  They did a few closeups where he was motionless on the ground, grey with eyes wide open.  I called my wife and son in to see.  All of us were stunned and sickened.

Suddenly, the medical team starts doing chest compressions and a few minutes later I see Eriksen's body jump from the defibrillation.  That freaked us out.

• Upvote 1

That’s a world class athlete that happened to, it’s crazy that something like that could happen to him.
One of the rugby players on our team died of a heart attack on the pitch a few years ago during the match. You just never know. Being healthy and in shape doesn’t mean you’re safe. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

You mean clinically dead.  If a person is not breathing and they are in cardiac arrest (heart not beating), they are clinically dead.  This is when CPR is supposed to be performed.

A person is not legally dead until a coroner or other health care professional declares a person dead, typically after resuscitation efforts have been performed for some time and failed.

• Upvote 1