Marcus Maye is a Real Leader... Listen & Learn!

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, he’s a good, likable leader and player.  No, that doesn’t mean Douglas should pay him.  At the end of the day he’s still a 28-year old Safety.

Enough with the Maccagnan-era thinking, please. 

I was eating at a restaurant in Carolina beach, watching practice and saw a 10 jersey at training camp.  thought…. They’re probably still paying Holmes.  ?

• Haha 2

If he’s willing to play under a more reasonable pay scale, one more in line with what he’s worth compared to his contemporaries, not as a top S, he may get his wish and be here long term.  He’s not the best there is but he’s not a JAG

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

No. He's a good safety. Not the guy or the position to commit big money to. He should be playing for that next contract. Take the benefit of that and then the compensatory pick when he leaves in FA and some other team can pay top dollar for an almost 30 yr old safety. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

As most others have said, he’s good and especially at his age isn’t worth bug money or long term commitment.

As crazy as it sounds we’re going to have to pay guys like Quinnen and Bechton before you know it and can’t have money tied up in an above average player like Maye who will be 31 at that point in time.

Save the cash for game changers.

• Upvote 2

He’s such a professional.

For Maye, it’s not necessarily a bad thing for him to get franchised again. He’ll still be able to sign a contract with 2 years guaranteed at 30.

He won’t get the stability he seems to want but it could be a win win. We get him for another year and then he goes off to another team.

Im expecting a big year from him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Maye has been good thru this, but I hope someone reminds him that he is making more then Adams this year.

Jets’ Marcus Maye not ruling out taking page from Jamal Adams in contract talks

July 31, 2021 | 8:52pm | Updated

Will history repeat itself?

Marcus Maye, another talented and unhappy homegrown Jets safety, isn’t ruling it out.

He saw good friend and former teammate Jamal Adams get his wish after the Jets declined to pay him what he felt he was worth, and though Maye said he would like to stay with the Jets for the foreseeable future, he did not rule out taking a page from Adams’ playbook.

“I’ve got 17 weeks to be the best that I can be — and once we get to that point [next offseason], we’ll cross that line again,” he said, when asked about the possibility of requesting a trade.

For now, Maye is a Jet and will play under the $10.612 million franchise tag this season after his agent and the team couldn’t come to an agreement on a long-term contract. Maye will do his best to compartmentalize. To separate what happened off the field with what he hopes can happen this year on the field. To separate his disappointment with the Jets failing to meet his contract extension requests and helping the team put last year’s disastrous two-win campaign behind it.

“Once you get over the business aspect of it, you can’t let them take your joy,” said Marcus Maye, who is playing this year under the franchise tag. Corey Sipkin/NY POST

“My approach is always the same: Go out and be the best, play to my ability, do what I do well, and at the end of the day, leave it up to them,” the fifth-year safety said on Saturday after practice. “I just love playing football. I’ve been doing it since I was a kid. Once you get over the business aspect of it, you can’t let them take your joy.”

It’s clear Maye was not pleased with the Jets’ attempts to ink him to a long-term contract, although he did his best not to show that displeasure Saturday. He repeatedly talked about his focus being on the field and spoke glowingly of new head coach Robert Saleh and rookie quarterback Zach Wilson. When asked if he felt the Jets treated him fairly or unfairly in negotiations, however, Maye said, “somewhere in the middle.”

“But from my end, I wasn’t happy and I wasn’t satisfied,” he said.

Maye added he never felt the two sides were close enough to the point at which a deal seemed imminent though general manager Joe Douglas said in May it was a “priority” to come to terms on a new deal.

Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams in 2019. Getty Images

Last season was by far Maye’s best. He started all 16 games, shedding the injury-prone label, and was second on the Jets with 88 tackles, added two interceptions, 11 passes defensed, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, four tackles for a loss, two sacks and two quarterback hits. He was graded out as the fifth best safety in the league out of 94 and was fourth in coverage, according to Pro Football Focus. The 28-year-old defensive back played all over the field a year ago, seeing time at free safety, in the box, in the slot, on the defensive line and out wide.

He has seen other safeties who are similar to him in ability — such as Justin Simmons with the Broncos, Budda Baker with the Cardinals and Eddie Jackson with the Bears — get big deals. Those three received between $14.6 million and $15.25 million in average annual value and between $33 million and $35 million in guaranteed money.

“There are a lot of great guys in this league, and I feel like I’m right there with all of them,” Maye said.

Maye said he still talks to Adams frequently, mostly about life and not necessarily about football. They have discussed their own contract issues — Adams wants a long-term deal from the Seahawks — and Maye saw first-hand how ugly a contract dispute can get when it is played out publicly. He hasn’t acted out like Adams did with the Jets.

“He just told me to handle my business like always,” Maye said. “Since Day 1, we’ve been through a lot of things together. We talked about his situation, we talked about my situation. Hope for the best for each other and that’s it.”

Maye downplayed the notion he has anything to prove this year, to the Jets or the rest of the league. Maye said he feels he has shown enough in his career to warrant the kind of deal he is looking for. But that doesn’t mean he is plotting his exit from the Jets, either. At least not yet.

“I was drafted here,” he said, “so I would love to be here.”

FILED UNDER MARCUS MAYE  NEW YORK JETS  7/31/21
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Maye has been good thru this, but I hope someone reminds him that he is making more then Adams this year.

Jets’ Marcus Maye not ruling out taking page from Jamal Adams in contract talks

July 31, 2021 | 8:52pm | Updated

Will history repeat itself?

Marcus Maye, another talented and unhappy homegrown Jets safety, isn’t ruling it out.

He saw good friend and former teammate Jamal Adams get his wish after the Jets declined to pay him what he felt he was worth, and though Maye said he would like to stay with the Jets for the foreseeable future, he did not rule out taking a page from Adams’ playbook.

“I’ve got 17 weeks to be the best that I can be — and once we get to that point [next offseason], we’ll cross that line again,” he said, when asked about the possibility of requesting a trade.

For now, Maye is a Jet and will play under the $10.612 million franchise tag this season after his agent and the team couldn’t come to an agreement on a long-term contract. Maye will do his best to compartmentalize. To separate what happened off the field with what he hopes can happen this year on the field. To separate his disappointment with the Jets failing to meet his contract extension requests and helping the team put last year’s disastrous two-win campaign behind it.

“Once you get over the business aspect of it, you can’t let them take your joy,” said Marcus Maye, who is playing this year under the franchise tag. Corey Sipkin/NY POST

“My approach is always the same: Go out and be the best, play to my ability, do what I do well, and at the end of the day, leave it up to them,” the fifth-year safety said on Saturday after practice. “I just love playing football. I’ve been doing it since I was a kid. Once you get over the business aspect of it, you can’t let them take your joy.”

It’s clear Maye was not pleased with the Jets’ attempts to ink him to a long-term contract, although he did his best not to show that displeasure Saturday. He repeatedly talked about his focus being on the field and spoke glowingly of new head coach Robert Saleh and rookie quarterback Zach Wilson. When asked if he felt the Jets treated him fairly or unfairly in negotiations, however, Maye said, “somewhere in the middle.”

“But from my end, I wasn’t happy and I wasn’t satisfied,” he said.

Maye added he never felt the two sides were close enough to the point at which a deal seemed imminent though general manager Joe Douglas said in May it was a “priority” to come to terms on a new deal.

Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams in 2019. Getty Images

Last season was by far Maye’s best. He started all 16 games, shedding the injury-prone label, and was second on the Jets with 88 tackles, added two interceptions, 11 passes defensed, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, four tackles for a loss, two sacks and two quarterback hits. He was graded out as the fifth best safety in the league out of 94 and was fourth in coverage, according to Pro Football Focus. The 28-year-old defensive back played all over the field a year ago, seeing time at free safety, in the box, in the slot, on the defensive line and out wide.

He has seen other safeties who are similar to him in ability — such as Justin Simmons with the Broncos, Budda Baker with the Cardinals and Eddie Jackson with the Bears — get big deals. Those three received between $14.6 million and $15.25 million in average annual value and between $33 million and $35 million in guaranteed money.

“There are a lot of great guys in this league, and I feel like I’m right there with all of them,” Maye said.

Maye said he still talks to Adams frequently, mostly about life and not necessarily about football. They have discussed their own contract issues — Adams wants a long-term deal from the Seahawks — and Maye saw first-hand how ugly a contract dispute can get when it is played out publicly. He hasn’t acted out like Adams did with the Jets.

“He just told me to handle my business like always,” Maye said. “Since Day 1, we’ve been through a lot of things together. We talked about his situation, we talked about my situation. Hope for the best for each other and that’s it.”

Maye downplayed the notion he has anything to prove this year, to the Jets or the rest of the league. Maye said he feels he has shown enough in his career to warrant the kind of deal he is looking for. But that doesn’t mean he is plotting his exit from the Jets, either. At least not yet.

“I was drafted here,” he said, “so I would love to be here.”

FILED UNDER MARCUS MAYE  NEW YORK JETS  7/31/21

Honestly I felt he was more than ready and up to prove his worth this year. At least that’s eggs I thought when o arch it. I’m rooting for him, to have a great year for the Jets and to get the  money his play demands. Be it here or someplace else. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, he’s a good, likable leader and player.  No, that doesn’t mean Douglas should pay him.  At the end of the day he’s still a 28-year old Safety.

Thank you.
The Jets have Maye for 2 yrs 23 mil. 13 mil non guaranteed. Why do we want to see our gm lock us into more for the same product so badly?

All i heard was a NY media desperate for an antagonistic sound byte throughout that entire interview. So transparent and gross IMO.
Bringing up Jamal numerous times. Thank goodness for a GM with a sack

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Graded out as the 5th best safety and can't get paid like it ,or even met somewhere in the middle . To get offered 20% below the cap is ridiculous. But go make excuses about age , interceptions, Williams scheme , doesn't take away the fact about how he graded out as the 5th best safety out of 94 . Ball out this year and ask for a trade next year . Can't wait for the excuses when Q wants to be paid .

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Graded out as the 5th best safety and can't get paid like it ,or even met somewhere in the middle . To get offered 20% below the cap is ridiculous. But go make excuses about age , interceptions, Williams scheme , doesn't take away the fact about how he graded out as the 5th best safety out of 94 . Ball out this year and ask for a trade next year . Can't wait for the excuses when Q wants to be paid .

Jet fans have seen way too many DTs drafted in the first round over the years, but that’s still a premium position while safety simply isn’t. Franchising Maye to solidify a potentially shaky secondary was a good move for this season, but locking up Maye for big money over three or four years would not be - especially if the tag is still less than what he’s looking for next year. QW keeps his career moving forward and no one will be complaining about him getting paid. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Jet fans have seen way too many DTs drafted in the first round over the years, but that’s still a premium position while safety simply isn’t. Franchising Maye to solidify a potentially shaky secondary was a good move for this season, but locking up Maye for big money over three or four years would not be - especially if the tag is still less than what he’s looking for next year. QW keeps his career moving forward and no one will be complaining about him getting paid. 

Plus you can’t resign everyone. Just the way it is. Gotta prioritize the premium positions. Simple as that. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

He is paid exactly like a top 5 S.  Only 4 S's in the NFL are paid more.

Tyrann Mathieu 

Landon Collins

Devin McCourty

John Johnson

Age certainly matters when talking about a long term contract.  90% of players skill level falls off around 30.

A good GM pays players for what they are going to do to earn that money, not what they have done in the past.  They have already been paid for that.

Jets have a long history of over paying fading vets on the downside of their career.  Time to reverse that.

Joe's doing the right thing, and at $10.6M+- Maye is doing quite well.   I like the player, and have no problem with him trying to get the most he can, but I like the Jets team more.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Why should we pay more than the $23( 13 non guaranteed) we already own him for again?
When have you ever chosen to guarantee to pay more than price you already paid for something you already possess?

The only argument I hear over and over is optics. How it will perceived. Other than that there is nothing valid for paying more than we already have him for. We already have Maye for 2 years if we want him.
I seriously don’t get it.
I’m happy to have a gm that doesn’t get caught up in feel good moves like Quincy Enunwa.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yup. Thanks to Joe D for being the gm we need..she don't paynon premium positions top money 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Waving Family Guy GIF

Ok, now what... You want to pay an aging non impact safety 12+ million a year for the next 4 years when the rest of team needs to be built up? Why, so you can whine about not being able to sign other more important positions to extensions when the Mayes contract you want to hand out becomes prohibitive with regard to signing other guys? It's called budgeting, and planning ahead. Some of us do it; others don't I guess. If some of you had your way it would have been a lot harder signing Moses when he shook loose because we would have already frivolously wasted the cap space on feel good signings. I'm a fan of the team. I want what's good for the team. The Jets aren't a make a wish foundation who's position is to hand feel good contracts for the sake of some bs workers unite moment, and by no means am I worried about Woody's bottom line.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Honestly I felt he was more than ready and up to prove his worth this year. At least that’s eggs I thought when o arch it. I’m rooting for him, to have a great year for the Jets and to get the  money his play demands. Be it here or someplace else. 

Sounds like Crush had McDonalds breakfast on the brain while typing this post.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Waving Family Guy GIF

Ok, now what... You want to pay an aging non impact safety 12+ million a year for the next 4 years when the rest of team needs to be built up? Why, so you can whine about not being able to sign other more important positions to extensions when the Mayes contract you want to hand out becomes prohibitive with regard to signing other guys? It's called budgeting, and planning ahead. Some of us do it; others don't I guess. If some of you had your way it would have been a lot harder signing Moses when he shook loose because we would have already frivolously wasted the cap space on feel good signings. I'm a fan of the team. I want what's good for the team. The Jets aren't a make a wish foundation who's position is to hand hand feel good contracts for the sake of some bs workers unite moment. 

? Perfect. This guy gets it

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

He is paid exactly like a top 5 S.  Only 4 S's in the NFL are paid more.

Tyrann Mathieu 

Landon Collins

Devin McCourty

John Johnson

Age certainly matters when talking about a long term contract.  90% of players skill level falls off around 30.

A good GM pays players for what they are going to do to earn that money, not what they have done in the past.  They have already been paid for that.

Jets have a long history of over paying fading vets on the downside of their career.  Time to reverse that.

Joe's doing the right thing, and at $10.6M+- Maye is doing quite well.   I like the player, and have no problem with him trying to get the most he can, but I like the Jets team more.

Do you think Maye’s best days are behind him?

Personally , I think the next 2 or 3 years are going to be his best years. He doesn’t really have much wear and tear. And he’s a heady player. Unlike Jamal for example who’s out there banging his body play in and play out and who’s game is predicated on playing at that LOS.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Do you think Maye’s best days are behind him?

Personally , I think the next 2 or 3 years are going to be his best years. He doesn’t really have much wear and tear. And he’s a heady player. Unlike Jamal for example who’s out there banging his body play in and play out and who’s game is predicated on playing at that LOS.

No.  Not yet.

But as an above average S he will be shortly.  I think your 2-3 year is accurate.  That's what I would be willing to pay him for.

Tag this year, and next if necessary.  He'll made $23M , 24M in 2 years. That's more then fair IMO

I'm not giving him an elite 5 year contract as he declines

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

No.  Not yet.

But as an above average S they will be shortly.  I think your 2-3 year is accurate.  That's what I would be willing to pay him for.

Tag this year, and next if necessary.  He'll made $23M , 24M in 2 years. That's more then fair IMO

I'm not giving him an elite 5 year contract as he declines

I agree with you. Based on that interview , it did seem like he would be willing to give though. He said, he would have liked to meet in the middle. Without the details, it’s hard to know what each side came with. But I got the impression that JD was the one with the hard stance in negotiations.

I would have liked a 3 year deal at a modest annual rate ($10). But at this point, I think a tag and trade next year is best for the Jets. Or one more tag and then letting him walk for a comp pick. 

I’d actually be more worried paying Jamal. A 210 edge rusher seems destined for a short career.

The good news is that we get 1 year of Maye and I think he will ball out in this defense.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:34 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Marcus Maye is a leader....

Pay this guy..

Agree with a lot of your takes CB, but can't get on board here.  You can't overpay because a guy is nice or of high character.  Those things should have some value for sure, but if you have an average player at a non-premium position who is looking to be paid like an All-Pro, you let him walk.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Agree with a lot of your takes CB, but can't get on board here.  You can't overpay because a guy is nice or of high character.  Those things should have some value for sure, but if you have an average player at a non-premium position who is looking to be paid like an All-Pro, you let him walk.

I keep hear folks say "overpay".  Who has said anything about overpaying??? @AFJF @GREENBEAN @Jetsfan80

Mayes stats say he is a top ten quality safety in the league.  Thet's what the numbers say....

The Jets offered him 20% less than the 10 Million he is slated to make this year about  8 to 9 Million dollars, saying those are guaranteed dollars. I say that he is worth what they are paying him  this year at least 10 Million dollars. I say give a guy a three year deal at 11 Million with the last year being at the clubs option. Reward guys on your team rather than paying a stranger....

This is hardly breaking the bank or overpaying as folks keep saying....

That would hardly stop the Jets from resigning Williams or anyone else when as now the cap will go up.

To me.... Trust is a two way street you want folks to go all out for you, you want absent them just being a giver, them to be able to go all out for you because they play not just for the money but the sense of significance tied to the money...

This is not a shot at JD at all, I can love the job that he is doing and not agree with every move that he makes.  Shoot I don't agree with every move that I make!

Lets go Jets! :) 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1