White over Morgan for backup?

Some real interesting tweets recently and then featured here in Ciminis latest write up. 

White and Morgan split the reps during Wilson's absence, giving the coaches and front office an extended look at the two young quarterbacks. White wasn't great, but he outperformed Morgan, and it wasn't close 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/87140/young-leading-young-in-jets-qb-room-how-will-it-impact-zach-wilson%3fplatform=amp

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

That’s kinda of day old news Kev. Just like Wilson,  Captain Morgan came alive in front of the fans. Please try to keep up. Ok? 

Let’s not nip this in the bud just yet, okay? I think another ten page thread bitching about a fourth round pick is probably in order. 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So why is Saleh against signing a vet backup esp when the two backups don’t look that good in training camp and have no NFL experience. Plus the starter is a rookie. 

Actually Morgan looked pretty good Saturday.

For all practical purposes, Morgan is a rookie.  Almost no camp last year.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Whatever happened to John Johnson and that other guy whos name I’ve forgotten? That blew over pretty quick…

If it were between josh Johnson and Sean mannion you’d think josh would get the nod with that last name.

I think Seattle signed mannion last week 

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Haha I do enjoy this morgan folklore despite reality he’s complete trash

Except if you followed him in college he isn’t.  I called for him before the draft and you’re nuts if you think they’re keeping white over Morgan 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

The irrational hatred for a backup QB by some in this fanbase is truly weird. 

Who hates morgan or what for that matter?

I hate that we picked a QB in the 4th round when there was oodles of talent in other areas of need on the board.

You do not draft backups you draft starters or projected starters.

To justify being a 4th round pick 'backup' morgan has to be the 2ne best qb in camp no questions asked.

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Hate? He’s a football player not a criminal.

Def don’t hate him but he’s a bust 

Patience not really your thing, eh?

I too enjoy making definitive statements about second year developmental players who got no camp/preseason last year and took no snaps in games.

I'm sure you have a firm grasp on where Morgan is (or isn't).   Really.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I hate that we picked a QB in the 4th round when there was oodles of talent in other areas of need on the board.

To be clear, the General JN consensus at that pick was Antonio Gandy-Golden, the WR.

At current, there is much speculation here in DC that Gandy-Golden may be the odd man out in the WFT WR room and may not make the team.  He's currently #8 on their depth chart.

He had 1 catch for 3 yards last year.

So maybe our pick might yet turn out better than the pick almost everyone wanted instead.  Only time will tell.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Warfish said:

To be clear, the General JN consensus at that pick was Antonio Gandy-Golden, the WR.

At current, there is much speculation here in DC that Gandy-Golden may be the odd man out in the WFT WR room and may not make the team.  He's currently #8 on their depth chart.

He had 1 catch for 3 yards last year.

So maybe our pick might yet turn out better than the pick almost everyone wanted instead.  Only time will tell.

There was many excellent wrs prospects that could have been had.  I don;t know about gandy I never called on him as the top choice but he still would have been a better pick than morgan.

Gabriel Davis

Tyler Johnson

Collin Johsnon

Darnell mooney

Donovan peoples jones

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Want to make a bet?

You want to I guess. lol, internet bets to prove you smart

You've never seen either make a throw anywhere and you want to bet someone just because and based on nothing other than your agenda

I'd bet that Morgan isnt getting cut, but not to prove a point to someone who just wants Morgan cut so that he can whine about JD sucking.  Its not a football bet, its a stupid bet at this point.  Especially since Morgan played well the other day at camp

17 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Hate? He’s a football player not a criminal.

Def don’t hate him but he’s a bust 

You know this off of a season where he really didnt practice never mind play.

You have a crystal ball I presume

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There was many excellent wrs prospects that could have been had.  I don;t know about gandy I never called on him as the top choice but he still would have been a better pick than morgan.

Gabriel Davis

Tyler Johnson

Collin Johsnon

Darnell mooney

Donovan peoples jones

Gabriel Davis was drafted before Morgan in the 4th

Tyler Johnson had 12 whole catches, 12.  Hes a WR that every team in the NFL has on their roster, as I assume all your WR will be

Collin Johsnon, yup, 18 catches

These are back of the rotation WRs that you can find anywhere.  All the comparisons are pointless.  If Morgan never throws a pass while these stud WRs catch 18 passes a year but hes deemed a capable backup the Jets picked the right guy.  

And if you didnt call for these guys before the draft move on already.  Nothing worse than scouring the list of 5th round picks of other teams and screaming we could have had them, especially when theyre no better than Vyncint or Jeff Smith, players you can get anywhere.  Just like a Berrios was found sitting on the waiver wire.  These arent fine talent

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gabriel Davis

Tyler Johnson

Collin Johsnon

Darnell mooney

Donovan peoples jones

It doesn't really matter what you say now, after the fact, that you called for. 

Most people here, i.e. the general consensus, was Gandy-Golden.

People can, with hindsight, claim they were all over someone great, but most weren't.

Point being, lets just see what happens.  And no, as yet there is no evidence that Gandy-Golden would "be a better pick than Morgan".

Today, Morgan is a #2/#3 QB.  Today, Gandy-Golden is a #8 WR (and would be similar here). 

Not sure how you see that as better, but /shrug, some axes just need grinding I suppose.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Gabriel Davis was drafted before Morgan in the 4th

Tyler Johnson had 12 whole catches, 12.  Hes a WR that every team in the NFL has on their roster, as I assume all your WR will be

Collin Johsnon, yup, 18 catches

These are back of the rotation WRs that you can find anywhere.  All the comparisons are pointless.  If Morgan never throws a pass while these stud WRs catch 18 passes a year but hes deemed a capable backup the Jets picked the right guy.  

And if you didnt call for these guys before the draft move on already.  Nothing worse than scouring the list of 5th round picks of other teams and screaming we could have had them, especially when theyre no better than Vyncint or Jeff Smith, players you can get anywhere.  Just like a Berrios was found sitting on the waiver wire.  These arent fine talent

125. New York Jets (from New England via Chicago): James Morgan, QB (Florida International)
126. Houston Texans (from Los Angeles Rams): Charlie Heck, OL (North Carolina): Signed
127. Philadelphia Eagles: K’Von Wallace, S (Clemson)
128. Buffalo Bills: Gabriel Davis, WR (UCF)

source:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-results-by-round

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

125. New York Jets (from New England via Chicago): James Morgan, QB (Florida International)
126. Houston Texans (from Los Angeles Rams): Charlie Heck, OL (North Carolina): Signed
127. Philadelphia Eagles: K’Von Wallace, S (Clemson)
128. Buffalo Bills: Gabriel Davis, WR (UCF)

source:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-results-by-round

Then its my bad, thanks

But that wasnt even the main point.  

If you weren't calling for that pick, then its time to stop.

If you didnt cry that we let him slip past us at or right after the draft, its time to stop

If you compare any of these players as better options to a QB you've never seen throw a ball, especially one you have no clue about youre really just a whiner and nothing more.  

All but one of those WRS are V Smith, J Smith or any other POS we could find on the FA market.