Jump to content

NFL owners ranked from worst to first....


Recommended Posts

can someone give me a good fan perspective on Hess? i am just young enough to not remember caring about ownership back then. By all accounts the Johnsons are at least an upgrade over Hess?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

can someone give me a good fan perspective on Hess? i am just young enough to not remember caring about ownership back then. By all accounts the Johnsons are at least an upgrade over Hess?

Generally well meant and well intentioned (for a rich guy), but ineffective and ruled by emotions over objectivity and business sense, resulting in many poor decisions over the years.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

can someone give me a good fan perspective on Hess? i am just young enough to not remember caring about ownership back then. By all accounts the Johnsons are at least an upgrade over Hess?

A good man through and through that made the very WORST hiring choices just like Woody...

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of 32 teams, the Johnson brothers of the NY Jets are listed as the 29th worst owners in the NFL.

The opinion is that they get too involved in the decision making, and it hasn't been very good since 2010.  Only Daniel Snyder of Washington, the owner of the Jaguars and the owners of the Houston Texans are consdered worse owners.

Did you really expect anything different???

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

A good man through and through that made the very WORST hiring choices just like Woody...

Will never forgive him from moving the Jets out of NY and to the Meadowlands. Still haven’t bought a gallon of Hess gas or any other Hess product since 1984

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Will never forgive him from moving the Jets out of NY and to the Meadowlands. Still haven’t bought a gallon of Hess gas or any other Hess product since 1984

NJ gave him a much better deal than being 2nd class citizens at Shea. At least he didn’t move them out of the area like owners of the Browns, Raiders, Rams, Oilers, and Cardinals did. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CSNY said:

So he can be a second class citizen in GIANTS STADIUM. Build your own stadium with your own money 

The Jets just did.  And still no one is happy.

Hess was onto something.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hell of a business man who didn’t win on the field but kept the Jets organization “in the black” despite presenting atrocious teams for 30+ years. 
 

I frequent his old hangout spot after Jets games - Lusardi’s on 2nd Ave. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets just did.  And still no one is happy.

Hess was onto something.

SAR I

 37 years after the fact in NJ instead of NY so yeah still not happy as they shouldn’t have moved due to Leon and his obsession with bathrooms and wanting a new stadium that he didn’t want to pay for Leon. Just like old Brooklyn Dodger fans have nothing good to say about O ‘ Malley. I have Nothing good to say about Leon Hess 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Douglas and saleh can pull this rebuild off and win a Super Bowl or 2 and Zach turns out to be a franchise QB, the Johnsons will rocket up the list.  Winning makes you a good owner in the NFL.  Most of these guys ranked higher are douches who got lucky drafting a franchise QB or picked a good GM or coach.  It’s a crap shoot. Law of averages has to shine on us eventually.  I hope. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

can someone give me a good fan perspective on Hess? i am just young enough to not remember caring about ownership back then. By all accounts the Johnsons are at least an upgrade over Hess?

Actual self made man.  Didn't really care about winning until he was having health issues as an old man.  Took one run at a SB and hired the best overall coaching staff in NFL history to accomplish it.  Fell short, died and his estate sold the company to a trust fund boy who cheated on his taxes and was cought.  

Known for having the cleanest gas station bathrooms in the world and a great toy truck.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the Jets have played in what 10xs as many playoff games as Jerry Jones since Woody bought the team and since Jones decided he didnt need someone who built and won with his team, making himself a GM, why is Jones 3rd?  

Could you imagine if one of the Johnsons decided they should be the GM, the titled GM no less, had a weekly radio show where they could put their foot in the mouth ala Jones, and then went on a 18 year run without a playoff win?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CSNY said:

So he can be a second class citizen in GIANTS STADIUM. Build your own stadium with your own money 

Fair point. I’m grateful he didn’t go out of the area though. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CSNY said:

Will never forgive him from moving the Jets out of NY and to the Meadowlands. Still haven’t bought a gallon of Hess gas or any other Hess product since 1984

That's you. And his decision to move the Jets to the Meadowlands could have infinitely worse like move the franchise to a different city altogether.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2021 at 8:23 AM, Jet Nut said:

Given the Jets have played in what 10xs as many playoff games as Jerry Jones since Woody bought the team and since Jones decided he didnt need someone who built and won with his team, making himself a GM, why is Jones 3rd?  

Could you imagine if one of the Johnsons decided they should be the GM, the titled GM no less, had a weekly radio show where they could put their foot in the mouth ala Jones, and then went on a 18 year run without a playoff win?  

3 consecutive SB and turning a franchise he bought for peanuts that was lossing money into the premier NFL franchise with one of the great stadiums in the country. 

He brought in Fox network and turned the TV rights into a competitive cash machine.

He's an ass but compared to Woody, he's a wet dream of an owner. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

3 consecutive SB and turning a franchise he bought for peanuts that was lossing money into the premier NFL franchise with one of the great stadiums in the country. 

He's an ass but compared to Woody, he's a wet dream of an owner. 

ALL by Jimmy Johnson who the owner hated seeing get credit and dumped.  Not sterling ownership.

Hes worse than Woody now, hes played GM for 20 years and has what, 2 or 3 playoff wins? 

Hes done nothing since JJ left and that group JJ assembled faded.  He gets all the credit in the world for bringing in JJ.  But that was 1989, a long time ago.  Before Johnson bought the Jets

Link to post
Share on other sites

The NY Jets are owners of the longest playoff draught in the NFL at 10 years.  The next longest draught is 5 years.   The 3 teams that have worse ownership, have all made the playoffs and won their division within the last 3 years.

The Johnsons are the worst owners in the NFL, by far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2021 at 9:44 PM, CSNY said:

So he can be a second class citizen in GIANTS STADIUM. Build your own stadium with your own money 

You do know the Giants didnt own a cent of Giants Stadium.  And the Jets own half of Met Life.  Stadium envy is odd, I never felt like a second class citizen at GS anymore than I felt like a second class citizen at Shea.  Where we really were second class citizens 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The NY Jets are owners of the longest playoff draught in the NFL at 10 years.  The next longest draught is 5 years.   The 3 teams that have worse ownership, have all made the playoffs and won their division within the last 3 years.

The Johnsons are the worst owner in the NFL.

Since the Johnsons bought the Jets they've won more playoff games than Jones and the Cowboys.  Have been to 3 AFCCGs.  Bills went 16 years without making the playoffs.  The 2 playoff games they won a year ago are the only two wins in the last wins in 25 years.  I'm guessing the Fins have a similar history since 2000

Its a pointless argument, its what have you done lately 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Since the Johnsons bought the Jets they've won more playoff games than Jones and the Cowboys.  Have been to 3 AFCCGs.  Bills went 16 years without making the playoffs.  The 2 playoff games they won a year ago are the only two wins in the last wins in 25 years.  I'm guessing the Fins have a similar history since 2000

Its a pointless argument, its what have you done lately 

That was like, the whole point of my post.  lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

ALL by Jimmy Johnson who the owner hated seeing get credit and dumped.  Not sterling ownership.

Hes worse than Woody now, hes played GM for 20 years and has what, 2 or 3 playoff wins? 

Hes done nothing since JJ left and that group JJ assembled faded.  He gets all the credit in the world for bringing in JJ.  But that was 1989, a long time ago.  Before Johnson bought the Jets

He's as ass and a clown.  He's been a better owner by miles.  He brought in Johnson and got the owners a competitive TV deal where the networks actually compete for the right to telivise NFL Games.

Woody bought a team with the greatest coaching staff every assembled and had the key guy stolen by a division rival.

Woody is a tool and a tax cheat.  Jerry at least brought something to the table.  He knew when it was time to cut bait with a legend and hired a great HC to run his team.  

No doubt his had a long stretch of bad years.  He also actually did something with the team and the league including building a great stadium without getting another owner to kick in to make it work.

Al Davis had years of failure but compared to Woody he was a great man.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2021 at 7:44 PM, k-met57 said:

can someone give me a good fan perspective on Hess? i am just young enough to not remember caring about ownership back then. By all accounts the Johnsons are at least an upgrade over Hess?

I'll say another thing about Leon Hess, which the Big Tuna said he will never forget.

After the Jets lost to the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship game, they took the "red-eye" flight home, and got there like 3:00 am in the morning.  Who was at the airport to greet the team, Old man Leon Hess.  He showed up in the middle of the night to thank the team for a great season.

Would either of the Johnson's have done that?  Absolutely not.  

Something that Bill Parcells said he would never forget!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biggs said:

He's as ass and a clown.  He's been a better owner by miles.  He brought in Johnson and got the owners a competitive TV deal where the networks actually compete for the right to telivise NFL Games.

Woody bought a team with the greatest coaching staff every assembled and had the key guy stolen by a division rival.

Woody is a tool and a tax cheat.  Jerry at least brought something to the table.  He knew when it was time to cut bait with a legend and hired a great HC to run his team.  

No doubt his had a long stretch of bad years.  He also actually did something with the team and the league including building a great stadium without getting another owner to kick in to make it work.

Al Davis had years of failure but compared to Woody he was a great man.  

 

We hate our owner I get it.  Every team hates their own owner.  We need a central figure to blame, its what we do.  Hes a bad man if not we can always just blurt things out, right or wrong

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...