Cimini: Mims may be on the bubble

JTJet

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Claypool was right there for us.  JD blew this one.

Dude. "Claypool" would've done absolutely nothingness as a Jets WR without being hidden behind a HOF HC Mike Tomlin, a HOF QB Ben Roethlisberger and 3 big time pass catching weapons in JuJu Smith-Schuster, Diontae Johnson and TE Eric Ebron.

A.) Awful QBs in washed up Flacco and 42nd QB Rating Sam Darnold (BUST)..

B.) Bust Perriman playing opposite of him.

C.) 40 year old Frank Gore as his RB "threat".

D.) Awful O-lineman (outside of Mekhi Becton).

E.) D. Loggains as his OC.

F.) Adam Gase as his HC/Play Caller.

Like I said. Chase Claypool would've done absolutely nothingness under those 2-14 crap scenarios if drafted as a "Jets WR".

Denzel Mims final 3 years @ Baylor:

37 Games.

182 Receptions.

2,921 Receiving yards.

16.0 yards per catch.

28 TD Receptions.

Chase Claypool final 3 years @ ND:

37 Games.

145 Receptions.

2,078 Receiving yards.

14.3 yards per catch.

19 TD Receptions.

Denzel Mims kicked Claypool's ass throughout each and every statistical category know to (WR) mankind and the only difference is that Claypool was drafted into WR heaven while Mims was drafted into WR HELL.

I hate this "Claypool" argument because it's stupid. Just because Claypool was drafted by Ben Roethlisberger and the PITTSBURGH STEELERS and Denzel Mims was drafted into Sam Darnold/Joe Flacco and the New York Jets doesn't mean Claypool is "better than Mims". 

• Upvote 2

There is 0% chance Mims gets cut.  You dont part ways with your 6'3 4.3 2nd round pick who showed promise on the actual NFL field his rookie season because he hasnt mastered a new system that's was installed just 8 days ago and hasnt beat out 3 veteran WR and player who was taken 25 picks before him this season.

He'll make the roster, he'll have a role and hopefully he continues to develop and gives you some relief in regards the pressure of resigning Crowder or Cole in the offseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

I’m surprised to see there’s still these dumbass takes floating around on Cole. 

So two weeks of practice should have changed my dumbass take?   

He's played 4 seasons, averaged about 500 yards per year with a total of 12 TD's.  

How would you describe him?

He is what he is...expecting him to be more just because he's now on the Jets is a major problem with our fan base.  And then have to attack other fans for pointing out the reality.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Dude. "Claypool" would've done absolutely nothingness as a Jets WR without being hidden behind a HOF HC Mike Tomlin, a HOF QB Ben Roethlisberger and 3 big time pass catching weapons in JuJu Smith-Schuster, Diontae Johnson and TE Eric Ebron.

Like I said. Chase Claypool would've done absolutely nothingness under those 2-14 crap scenarios if drafted as a "Jets WR".

37 Games.

182 Receptions.

2,921 Receiving yards.

16.0 yards per catch.

28 TD Receptions.

37 Games.

145 Receptions.

2,078 Receiving yards.

14.3 yards per catch.

19 TD Receptions.

Denzel Mims kicked Claypool's ass throughout each and every statistical category know to (WR) mankind and the only difference is that Claypool was drafted into WR heaven while Mims was drafted into WR HELL.

I hate this "Claypool" argument because it's stupid. Just because Claypool was drafted by Ben Roethlisberger and the PITTSBURGH STEELERS and Denzel Mims was drafted into Sam Darnold/Joe Flacco and the New York Jets doesn't mean Claypool is "better than Mims". 

College stats are meaningless.  Claypool is a much better NFL player than Mims.  It's not even close. 

Good WR's on sh*tty teams produce something. 

If the draft was reversed... Claypool on last year's Jets produces way more than Mims did, and Mims in "WR heaven", doesn't even get off the bench.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So two weeks of practice should have changed my dumbass take?   

He's played 4 seasons, averaged about 500 yards per year with a total of 12 TD's.  

How would you describe him?

He is what he is...expecting him to be more just because he's now on the Jets is a major problem with our fan base.  And then have to attack other fans for pointing out the reality.

I meant to go back and swap out dumbass for ignorant - trying to be a better dad and all that.

Look, you just don't know what you're talking about with him, highlighted by the fact that you're just looking up Stats. Most times, a 1-year WR signed as a castaway from another -- your assessment would be accurate. But, as i'm sure you'd agree, never every single instance is going to look like that. I can't explain why he fell out of favor with Marrone. I don't gaf either. He's made waves with JAX when they put him on the field. He's going to be a thing here. 

Does that sound like guy you just tried to paint him as? Do NFL teams have it wrong - and you have it right? 

Just take the L on this one, and lets get back to cheering for him

• Upvote 1

I’m starting to accept that #11 may not make the ‘21 final cut, but the physical talent is undeniable. I have faith GM JD will be able to flip Mims for a 5th or a more-beloved 6th round pick (Raiders love their players RAW, a possible landing spot).

JD: “Mims was a scheme misfit, so we got value (draft pick) for a player who can blossom in a system better suited to his natural abilities and talents.”

But I can’t see them cutting Mims flat out after investing a 2nd rounder in what many considered a raw prospect. 

23 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I meant to go back and swap out dumbass for ignorant - trying to be a better dad and all that.

Look, you just don't know what you're talking about with him, highlighted by the fact that you're just looking up Stats. Most times, a 1-year WR signed as a castaway from another -- your assessment would be accurate. But, as i'm sure you'd agree, never every single instance is going to look like that. I can't explain why he fell out of favor with Marrone. I don't gaf either. He's made waves with JAX when they put him on the field. He's going to be a thing here. 

Does that sound like guy you just tried to paint him as? Do NFL teams have it wrong - and you have it right? 

Just take the L on this one, and lets get back to cheering for him

a 1 year $5.5mm contract - to a team with the worst offense in the NFL for two years running and likely to have a rookie QB.

Sure doesn't sounds like he had a whole of options....

As I've stated, he's a good player but should be the 4th or 5th best WR on your team.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I’m starting to accept that #11 may not make the ‘21 final cut, but the physical talent is undeniable. I have faith GM JD will be able to flip Mims for a 5th or a more-beloved 6th round pick (Raiders love their players RAW, a possible landing spot).

JD: “Mims was a scheme misfit, so we got value (draft pick) for a player who can blossom in a system better suited to his natural abilities and talents.”

But I can’t see them cutting Mims flat out after investing a 2nd rounder in what many considered a raw prospect. 

I must agree with you.  With Mims raw talent, he must get another shot this year on the roster.

After all, he was injured for 1/2 of the year last year, with garbage coaching.  He was a 2nd round pick who does have Plus raw ability, not to mention his success in college.  

Cutting him before the 2nd season would be stupid, and It's just not going to happen.

Now, if the Jets can somehow trade Mims for a 3rd or 4th  round pick before the season, then I might do that if they are so inclined.  A fifth or sixth round pick??  No way.  His potential is still too great to completely give up on him for a late day 3 draft pick.

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

a 1 year $5.5mm contract - to a team with the worst offense in the NFL for two years running and likely to have a rookie QB.

Sure doesn't sounds like he had a whole of options....

As I've stated, he's a good player but should be the 4th or 5th best WR on your team.

So you wanna die on this hill, I see - despite reason not to. 

Buckle up buttercup. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

There is 0% chance Mims gets cut.  You dont part ways with your 6'3 4.3 2nd round pick who showed promise on the actual NFL field his rookie season because he hasnt mastered a new system that's was installed just 8 days ago and hasnt beat out 3 veteran WR and player who was taken 25 picks before him this season.

He'll make the roster, he'll have a role and hopefully he continues to develop and gives you some relief in regards the pressure of resigning Crowder or Cole in the offseason.

no sh*t - we loose 2 parties next season (though I wouldn't rule out an extension for Cole) 

I don't know the future (maybe this staff/system never click)... but if your (any coaching regime) solution to managing talent/performance is to cut/trade someone after a few months - you suck at your job. 

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

37 Games.

182 Receptions.

2,921 Receiving yards.

16.0 yards per catch.

28 TD Receptions.

37 Games.

145 Receptions.

2,078 Receiving yards.

14.3 yards per catch.

19 TD Receptions.

Sorry, I do not agree at all. Mims is rolling with the third team and ST. Based on what we have seen from Claypool, that would not be the case if he was here now. Mims may not be a bust yet but he is making a damn good case for that label. When a coach tells you he is working hard and making progress, getting better, that means he is not there yet. Mims was supposed to be the guy that turned out to be a #1. Right now he isn't  even ahead of V. Smith. 

11 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I bet if Ben Roethlisberger starts to show old age and struggles in 2021 that Chase Claypool will have an absolute crap 2021 season.

Dude, Claypool is Dez Bryant without the bad attitude. He's a 240lb WR who timed close to what Mims timed at the combine. You watch Mims tape. His speed doesn't show up on gameday, for whatever reason. He's a possession receiver at this point, who's having issues that the Jet's are obviously concerned about. 

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Sorry, I do not agree at all. Mims is rolling with the third team and ST. Based on what we have seen from Claypool, that would not be the case if he was here now. Mims may not be a bust yet but he is making a damn good case for that label. When a coach tells you he is working hard and making progress, getting better, that means he is not there yet. Mims was supposed to be the guy that turned out to be a #1. Right now he isn't  even ahead of V. Smith. 

Serious question for you. 

Chase Claypool with a Ben Roethlisberger who threw for 3,803 passing yards, 33 TDs/10 INTs, a QB Rating of 94.1 and went 12-3 and who also thew for 500+ yards and 4 TDs during his playoff loss to Cleveland only recorded a "whooping" 62 receptions, 872 receiving yards and 9 TDs as a Rookie WR.

And he was also hidden behind the likes of HOF HC Mike Tomlin, HOF SB winning Ben Roethlisberger, Juju Smith-Schuster and Johnson along with Eric Ebron etc + a monster Pittsburgh Steelers Defense etc. 

What would Chase Claypool's numbers have "looked like" if he was drafted by the Jets with a bust QB in Sam Darnold (42nd QB Rating) a completely washed up Joe Flacco, a 40 year old RB, a former 1st round BUST playing opposite of him at outside WR, the worst O-Line in all of Football and a bust TE in Herndon etc and even worse both Loggains and ADAM GASE as his HC/OC calling the plays. 

Please tell me what "Chase Claypool's" numbers (as a rookie) would've looked like on a 2-14 disaster Jets team? Please tell me @More Cowbell because I'd really love to know....

PS: Chase Was PITTSBURGH'S 3rd most productive WR last year because both JuJu and Johnson were Big Ben's favorite targets and both had more productive seasons than Claypool did. 

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Serious question for you. 

Chase Claypool with a Ben Roethlisberger who threw for 3,803 passing yards, 33 TDs/10 INTs, a QB Rating of 94.1 and went 12-3 and who also thew for 500+ yards and 4 TDs during his playoff loss to Cleveland only recorded a "whooping" 62 receptions, 872 receiving yards and 9 TDs as a Rookie WR.

And he was also hidden behind the likes of HOF HC Mike Tomlin, HOF SB winning Ben Roethlisberger, Juju Smith-Schuster and Johnson along with Eric Ebron etc + a monster Pittsburgh Steelers Defense etc. 

What would Chase Claypool's numbers have "looked like" if he was drafted by the Jets with a bust QB in Sam Darnold (42nd QB Rating) a completely washed up Joe Flacco, a 40 year old RB, a former 1st round BUST playing opposite of him at outside WR, the worst O-Line in all of Football and a bust TE in Herndon etc and even worse both Loggains and ADAM GASE as his HC/OC calling the plays. 

Please tell me what "Chase Claypool's" numbers (as a rookie) would've looked like on a 2-14 disaster Jets team? Please tell me @More Cowbell because I'd really love to know....

PS: Chase Was PITTSBURGH'S 3rd most productive WR last year because both JuJu and Johnson were Big Ben's favorite targets and both had more productive seasons than Claypool did. 

That is not the point. What Claypool has proven is he belongs. Mims hasn't  done that. He is a second round pick trying to make the roster on ST. 

4 minutes ago, genot said:

Dude, Claypool is Dez Bryant without the bad attitude. He's a 240lb WR who timed close to what Mims timed at the combine. You watch Mims tape. His speed doesn't show up on gameday, for whatever reason. He's a possession receiver at this point, who's having issues that the Jet's are obviously concerned about. 

Comparing Mims to any legit NFL receiver like Claypool is comical.   And I love the Claypool hate.  We would be absolutely salivating if that guy was on the Jets.   (Maybe not, though.  As the fools we've had at QB would have screwed the pooch with him, too.)  The guy is talented.  Mims is...?

• Upvote 1

Outside of JN's weird borderline-personality-disorder-splitting phenomena, there does exist a reality where a player can be neither perfect, yet at the same time, also not be a bust. You can admit that it's discouraging, possible even slightly concerning, for Mims to not be performing better, but simultaneously understand that there are legitimate reasons for his lack of performance. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Comparing Mims to any legit NFL receiver like Claypool is comical.   And I love the Claypool hate.  We would be absolutely salivating if that guy was on the Jets.   (Maybe not, though.  As the fools we've had at QB would have screwed the pooch with him, too.)  The guy is talented.  Mims is...?

Well. We agree to disagree about the QB's. Crowder played up to his ability with our previous QB. Crowder was a proven commodity. He produced . No one else could, because they all sucked.

11 minutes ago, genot said:

Chase Claypool would've done absolutely nothingness on a 2-14 (disaster) Jets offense being led by both Adam Gase and Loggains. 

Ben Roethlisberger had a QB Rating of over 90, damn near 4,000 passing yards (between JuJu/Johnson/Ebron/Claypool) 33 TDs and only 10 INTs and heck even with 4 playoff INTs he still threw for over 500 passing yards and 4 TDs vs. Cleveland in the playoffs. 

None of that would've happened for Chase Claypool while a Jet and surrounded by Sam/Flacco/Gase/Loggains/Gore/Herndon/Perriman/32nd rated O-Line etc I'm sorry but he would've absolutely stunk because of it too. 

Chase Claypool had a bunch of disappearing acts last year too and hit a big time rookie wall midway through the season which is something Claypool fans refuse to admit with 2 games of only 1 catch, two games of only 2 catches and 3 games of only 3 catches and (7 disappearing acts) and 11 games of only 60 yards receiving and also 10 games of 0 TD Receptions. 

He did not have this "monster season" Jets fans are pretending that he did. He was just blessed with a HOF HC/HOF QB and hidden between JuJu/Johnson/Ebron. 

Heck. He wasn't even a #1 WR. No #1 CBs lined up against him.

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That is not the point. What Claypool has proven is he belongs. Mims hasn't  done that. He is a second round pick trying to make the roster on ST. 

Would Claypool been able to prove he belonged if drafted as a Jet last year on a 2-14 crap offense? The answer is no. 

Denzel Mims destroyed Claypool during their final 3 NCAA seasons in terms of Receptions/Receiving Yards/TDs;

and if Denzel Mims was drafted by Pittsburgh he would've looked awesome too (and Claypool wouldn't have as a "Jet').

Denzel Mims 9 games

44 Targets. 

23 Receptions. 

52.2% catch rate. 

15 1st down catches. 

357 receiving yards. 

0 TD receptions. 

Chase Claypool final 9 games. 

75 targets. 

39 Receptions. 

52.0% catch rate.

17 1st down receptions. 

498 receiving yards. 

4 TDs. 

The only difference is that Claypool had a HOF QB who could throw TDs and Denzel Mims didn't. 

Denzel Mims even had a better catch rate % despite "Sam and Flacco". 

Anyone who thinks Claypool is a "better talent" than Denzel Mims I believe is mistaken.

9 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Would Claypool been able to prove he belonged if drafted as a Jet last year on a 2-14 crap offense? The answer is no. 

Denzel Mims destroyed Claypool during their final 3 NCAA seasons in terms of Receptions/Receiving Yards/TDs;

and if Denzel Mims was drafted by Pittsburgh he would've looked awesome too (and Claypool wouldn't have as a "Jet').

Except the Steelers had the option to take Claypool or Mims and they decided that Claypool was better.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, genot said:

Well. We agree to disagree about the QB's. Crowder played up to his ability with our previous QB. Crowder was a proven commodity. He produced . No one else could, because they all sucked.

Robby Anderson’s best seasons were the 2 without Darnold.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

37 Games.

182 Receptions.

2,921 Receiving yards.

16.0 yards per catch.

28 TD Receptions.

37 Games.

145 Receptions.

2,078 Receiving yards.

14.3 yards per catch.

19 TD Receptions.

The only difference is Chase Claypool was drafted into WR heaven with HOF Tomlin/HOF Roethlisberger and Denzel Mims was drafted into WR hell with Loser Gase/Bust Sam/Washed up Flacco. 

That's the only difference (outside of a rookie hamstring injury).

2019: Denzel Mims vs. Georgia and Iowa State (common opponents) = 11 receptions for 181 receiving yards and 3 TDs. 

2019 Chase Clay vs. George and Iowa State (common opponents) = 13 receptions for 212 receiving yards and 2 TDs. 

Denzel Mims is just as talented as Chase Claypool and the only difference was Claypool was drafted into Pittsburgh and Denzel Mims wasn't. 

17 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Robby Anderson’s best seasons were the 2 without Darnold.

Not really. He had some more receptions with Josh. But ypc we're the same. Slightly better. I don't think enough to make an argument about QB play. In Carolina they had him running nore routes. Result. More receptions, but close to 4yds less per reception. 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Disappointing for sure. But theres still a month left. I do think the Jets keep 6 WRs and I'd be surprised to see the them decide to keep both V.Smth and B.Berrios over Mims.  

We may keep 7. I still see Crowder maybe being traded before the trade deadline. Would not shock me to see Mims traded, he has the same attributes and position as Davis and V Smith and In rough order

Davis, Moore, Cole, Crowder, Mims V Smith Berrios. (last 3 are bunched)

FWIW Saleh said he will rotate receivers like DL which would indicate more WR make the roster.