Cimini: Mims may be on the bubble

JTJet

51 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think mims is talented.  But he’s raw, and that’s why he fell to the late 2nd round.  He was not ready to be a key contributor last year and teams knew this.  If the jets had the same crappy wrs as last year he’d be penciled in as a starter but with 2 key FA signings and moore, now mims is exactly where he should be, working his way up the wr depth chart.  

Ultimately I think his potential will get him a spot. Fans just had unrealistic expectations. He needs to be developed. Lucky for him, this coaching staff wants to develop players. 

• Upvote 1

I wonder if maybe Cimini is doing the Jets bidding with this article?  It seems designed to light a fire under Mims without anyone actually quoted saying anything critical.  Wink wink nudge nudge.

I seem to recall Mims being pissed when he slid a bit on draft night, and proclaiming that he was going to make the league pay or whatever.  If there is a problem with his work ethic after all that, they'd need to cut bait.  But, if he's just raw and trying, keep the kid.

21 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Sorry but I think I'll believe coach SALEH (himself) over you (or anyone else). 

"All those receivers are part of a rotation, so you see guys, 1s, 2s, 3s and if I look at the rep count it’s darn-near even all the way across the board".

So the part where you're telling me Davis/Elijah/Cole etc haven't also been working with the 3s as much as Mims has is wrong. 100% wrong.

and can you please find me a real quote and also a chart sheet that shows V. Smith "working with the 1s more than Denzel Mims has"? No you can't. Now can you? 

Go find me all of the tweets and camp reports that have the Top 4 WR’s on this roster constantly working with the 3rd team offense.

I’m not talking about a couple of reps here and there. I’m talking about CONSISTENTLY working with the 3rd team offense.

You won’t find much in regards to Davis, Moore, Cole or Crowder.

You’ll find a helluva lot of it on Mims.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The problem for mims this year is that he really is the 5th best wr right now, and that’s assuming he’s more ready to contribute than berrios.  So unless/until there’s a real wr injury, mims will be a situational wr who must contribute on ST.  But when you have multiple rbs who will be targeted in the passing game along with whoever becomes the starting TE, there really don’t seem to be a lot of targets for mims at this time.

He really should be better than Cole. Cole is just a small step above a Jag.  
I expected Mims to play a significant role on the outside.  
mid ge can’t beat our Cole we really shouldn’t be expecting much from him 

Reality is this is all on Mims at this point. He’s got all the gifts anyone could hope for now he has to decide how bad he wants it. Hopefully he’s rooming with Elijah Moore during training camp, Mims gets some of this kids drive and desire to be great? Boom! Two HOF WR. Just shut up. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I think it's funny how you're falling for a click bait article written by a known hack ?

"Robert Saleh Sheds Light on Jets Wide Receiver ‘Rotation"

Robert Saleh says: “Yeah so he’s working through some things,” the Jets HC said regarding Mims, “but him coming back [from illness] and working into the groove, all those receivers are part of a rotation, so you see guys, 1s, 2s, 3s and if I look at the rep count it’s darn-near even all the way across the board to give all those guys the same opportunities and the looks and to be able to put them in positions where we know that they’re going to be able to get the ball based on a play. Denzel Mims is a very talented young man and it’s going to piece together for him, we just gotta keep working with him.”

Hey chief. You keep on falling for your favorite little fake beat writing media hacks all you like ? while I'll continue to believe coach ROBERT SALEH himself. 

Yes, its clicking that Denzel Mims is clearly working primarily with tye 2nd and third team Offenses and is being used as Gunner. 

Maybe if I bold the fact that Davis, Cole, Moore, and Crowder are all clearly ahead of him on the Depth Chart will help?

Perhaps italicizing that Berrios is a punt returner will help?

This isn't "clickbait", the guy is being worked with UDFA types on the ass end of the roster. For all of your fuzzy memories of other posters, remind me when QW was working with the #3s. 

Stop it. 

• Upvote 2

It feels to me like the Saleh staff is making an example of Mims. He skipped a lot of the voluntary spring sessions and hasn't made the effort to connect with Zach on his own time that someone like Moore has... And that lack of initiative is reflecting in both his minutes and his performance. 

I am surprised by some of the comments on his blocking - both at Baylor and last year here he showed himself to be very willing (even eager) blocker. 

I like his hands and think he has potential, hope this works out. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

#1 This article did exactly what it supposed to do. Get attention and get the emotional Jets fan exactly that, emotional. Have we not learned anything over the years? These beat writers don't have a clue. You all will be much happier not reading or sharing this garbage. 

Cimini -> speculation based on something we all already know

Jets fans -> he must know something we don’t know, let’s overreact 

?

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yes, its clicking that Denzel Mims is clearly working primarily with tye 2nd and third team Offenses and is being used as Gunner. 

Maybe if I bold the fact that Davis, Cole, Moore, and Crowder are all clearly ahead of him on the Depth Chart will help?

Perhaps italicizing that Berrios is a punt returner will help?

This isn't "clickbait", the guy is being worked with UDFA types on the ass end of the roster. For all of your fuzzy memories of other posters, remind me when QW was working with the #3s. 

Stop it. 

That's funny.

Because any NFL website Depth Chart you look @ clearly has Denzel Mims as NYJs #2 outside WR opposite of Corey Davis and with Elijah Moore working out of the slot. 

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

That's funny.

Because any NFL website Depth Chart you look @ clearly has Denzel Mims as NYJs #2 outside WR opposite of Corey Davis and with Elijah Moore working out of the slot. 

Website depth charts aren't worth the pixels they are printed on.

The Jets haven't released a depth chart yet. That's the one that matters.

Much as I hate to say it, the signs with Mims aren't good. This is all the same kind of stuff we heard with players like Stephen Hill and Jace Amaro entering year two.

• Upvote 4

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/NYJ

Wake me up when Denzel Mims is listed as our 4th/5th/6th WR on our Depth Chart or better yet please let me know when Robert Saleh says so himself. 

Because Cimini and others are paid to create click bait hot takes full of nothing but HACK reports (and you Jets fans buy into it each and every time).

Robert Saleh our Head Coach has already made it known he's spreading out the 1's, 2's and 3's snap counts 100% evenly but yet you guys rather listen to beat writing hacks instead of Coach Saleh himself ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Wake me up when Denzel Mims is listed as our 4th/5th/6th WR on our Depth Chart or better yet please let me know when Robert Saleh says so himself. 

Because Cimini and others are paid to create click bait hot takes full of nothing but HACK reports (and you Jets fans buy into it each and every time).

Robert Saleh our Head Coach has already made it known he's spreading out the 1's, 2's and 3's snap counts 100% evenly but yet you guys rather listen to beat writing hacks instead of Coach Saleh himself ?

So are you saying you are not a Jet fan?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

#1 This article did exactly what it supposed to do. Get attention and get the emotional Jets fan exactly that, emotional. Have we not learned anything over the years? These beat writers don't have a clue. You all will be much happier not reading or sharing this garbage. 

It would be good if it got mims attention if being tossed to 3rd team hasn't already.

This just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Just like everyone else on this board, I saw Mims flash in a big way last season albeit in a limited sample size. His routes were excellent, he created separation, and he always won against the DB when the ball was thrown up for grabs. There has to be something wrong with Mims physically? That many people, including the GM can't possibly be that wrong? I will only believe Mims gets cut or traded when I see it.....

3 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I'm a passionate Jets fan but not a Jets fan who falls for click bait hot takes from beat writing hacks who are paid to create (especially Training Camp) drama such as guys like Mehta (fired) and Cimini etc. 

Ok, so let’s remember we are all Jet fans and this together. Ok? 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Ok, so let’s remember we are all Jet fans and this together. Ok? 

I will never lump myself alongside the one's who buy into hot takes from Jets beat writing hacks who are paid to create offseason drama. Sorry but I'm not that type of Football fan and unless it's quotes coming from our actual coaching staff I'll never buy into "articles from hack beat writers".

13 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Are you really arguing that "Our Lads" depth chart has more bearing than what is literally happening in training camp according to eye witnesses?

Cimini may be writing articles he knows will get clicks but there is "smoke" to this Mims situation. There's no scenario where this is a good thing.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I just don't believe there's any chance he doesn't make the roster, unless they trade him. Douglas won't just cut his 2nd drafted player after one year.

Exactly.

Guys like Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga, Cameron Clark, La'Mical Perine, Janes Morgan and Cameron Clark are all still on our roster?

But yet fans really believe the most talented one in Denzel Mims is on the "hot seat" and all because "Cimini" says so? 

Mind boggling.  

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Are you really arguing that "Our Lads" depth chart has more bearing than what is literally happening in training camp according to eye witnesses?

Cimini may be writing articles he knows will get clicks but there is "smoke" to this Mims situation. There's no scenario where this is a good thing.

Have you not read the words from coach Robert Saleh where each and every single WR is getting the same amount of reps 1's, 2's and 3's and are 100% being divided up evenly? 

I guess our prized #1 WR in Corey Davis also stinks too and all because of a rookie Elijah Moore is 100% out shining him?

Nice to know.

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Exactly.

Guys like Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga, Clark, La'Mical Perine, Janes Morgan and Cameron Clark are all still on our roster? But yet fans really believe Denzel Mims is on the "hot seat" and all because "Cimini" says so? 

Mind boggling.  

Half the players you just listed could be considered “on the hot seat”.

Zuniga has to contend with the likes of Huff, Curry, Blair, Phillips, etc for a roster spot.

Cameron Clark is competing for a spot with guys like Lewis, Feeney, McDermott and Levin.

James Morgan is competing with Mike White and Josh Johnson.

Perine is competing for a spot in the RB room with dudes like Ty Johnson, Josh Adams and Austin Walter.

Ashtyn Davis is the only one that I think is completely “safe”. And that’s mostly because we have jack behind Maye and Joyner.

• WTF? 1

I'm going to politely remove myself from this thread and exit myself from this hack Cimini's beat writing hot take of an "article". 

But I'm like an elephant and I have a mind of a memory that doesn't forget. 

And I can not wait until preseason game #1 followed by week 1 @ Carolina in order to bump up this thread and quote everyone who fell for Cimini's horse crap once we see Denzel Mims lined up opposite of Corey Davis on the outside. 

Heck. I hope Denzel Mims has a killer Green and White practice tonight as our #2 WR in order to return to this thread sooner, rather than later ?

PS: I won't really quote individual posters but I'll damn sure be bumping up this hot take from "Cimini".

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I could see them cutting bait next year if he doesnt take the time to develop that part of his game, but cimini is taking liberties here (as he usually does) saying he's on the bubble now.  I would be surprised a kid of his talent gets cut as he's starting to string together some better practices.  He's far behind a lot of the other guys, and it is going to be on him to get better, but he's too physically talented to just say see ya after one year under the worst circumstances possible. 

Agree. He definitely struggles to separate and looks like he lacks change of direction at times. I don't think playing at Baylor and not having a particularly diverse route tree did him any favors - but he was also much more physically dominant in college. Didn't matter so much if he separated. He's absolutely a plus athlete but not a complete freak at the NFL level where I think he can consistently physically dominate guys at the catch point.

But the big thing is he does have change of direction skills - they just don't show up on the field yet. If he busts his ass he can really unlock that part of his game, fit what the scheme needs him to do, and push for play time. I'm all for the coaching staff pushing him to move along and get that part of his game rolling to earn time on the field. It's okay for guys with more physical talent to have higher expectations. If he doesn't get it going then maybe he's just one of those guys who it'll always be a what could have been thing - but I'm glad they're not just letting him coast on back shoulder balls and contested plays.

I just can’t convince myself that this coaching staff can’t find a role for this kid in the offense. Big, tall, fast, can make contested catches, solid blocker, and YOUNG. 

Why would we even think about sending this guy packing?!

• Sympathy 1

Have you not read the words from coach Robert Saleh where each and every single WR is getting the same amount of reps 1's, 2's and 3's and are 100% being divided up evenly? 

You don't actually believe that do you? That's coach speak. He's not going to bury the guy publicly. Of course Vincynt Smith isn't getting the same number of first team reps as Davis.

I guess our prized #1 WR in Corey Davis also stinks too and all because of a rookie Elijah Moore is 100% out shining him?

Nice to know.

No, it means Elijah Moore is awesome and looks like a homerun of a 2nd round pick.-- pretty much the opposite of Mims so far.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NYJ Today said:

I just can’t convince myself that this coaching staff can’t find a role for this kid in the offense. Big, tall, fast, can make contested catches, solid blocker, and YOUNG. 

Why would we even think about sending this guy packing?!

Cause Rich almost said so?

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

This just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. Just like everyone else on this board, I saw Mims flash in a big way last season albeit in a limited sample size. His routes were excellent, he created separation, and he always won against the DB when the ball was thrown up for grabs. There has to be something wrong with Mims physically? That many people, including the GM can't possibly be that wrong? I will only believe Mims gets cut or traded when I see it.....

A player on the bubble can still make the team. Being the 5th or 6th WR means he just makes the team.