Cimini: Mims may be on the bubble

JTJet

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Mims showed enough to hopefully secure a spot. He’s clearly on the bubble though.

I got our WR depth chart as

Davis, Crowder, Cole, Moore, V Smith and Mims. Michael Carter or Ejijah Moore will handle PR duties with Berrios being cut. 

Mims will be on the final roster. He’s not on a bubble. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Y’all are in denial. I expect him to be on the final roster as well. But a player who runs with the 3rd team and is playing ST is the definition of a bubble player.

The definition of a bubble player is a guy who might not make the final roster. We agree that that doesn’t describe Mims. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Y’all are in denial. I expect him to be on the final roster as well. But a player who runs with the 3rd team and is playing ST is the definition of a bubble player.

You're in denial. 

panther-truth.gif

It's called getting sick and losing 20 pounds because of food poisoning. 

Rookie WRs in NFL history who've (ever) recorded 40+ receiving yards throughout each of their first 6 career NFL games...

• Andre Johnson (2003).

• Amari Copper (2015). 

• Stefon Diggs (2015). 

• Michael Thomas (2016). 

• CeeDee Lamb (2020). 

• DENZEL MIMS (2020). 

And with games of...

• 40 receiving yards.

• 42 receiving yards.

• 42 receiving yards.

• 62 receiving yards.

• 67 receiving yards.

• 71 receiving yards.

And he did it with Sam Darnold (42nd QB Rating out of 32 starters) and Dowell Loggains and ADAM GASE. 

Just in case you forgot the (denial) memo. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, slats said:

The definition of a bubble player is a guy who might not make the final roster. We agree that that doesn’t describe Mims. 

Yea that’s a good point. I would find it surprising to see him get cut partly because I still believe in his upside and partly because I find it hard to believe Joe D would give up on a 2nd rounder after just two years.

I do wonder how the coaching staff views him though. We can probably all agree that it was good to see him do well yesterday.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Saleh isn’t down on Mims.

He is building him up.

217EAD53-FE53-445C-85E0-BD9B6268F0C3.thumb.jpeg.34f87841c0921bbca19093b5670d46db.jpeg

If this goes right, they will feature this as a case study in Saleh's ability to develop and discipline players while still being a players coach... Someday.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Assuming that's why he requested to play special teams. If the staff likes Berrios he'd have to make it as a specials guy.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Yea that’s a good point. I would find it surprising to see him get cut partly because I still believe in his upside and partly because I find it hard to believe Joe D would give up on a 2nd rounder after just two years.

I do wonder how the coaching staff views him though. We can probably all agree that it was good to see him do well yesterday.

You mean give up on a player after 1 year.  1/2 year to be exact, since he was injured for half of last season.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ryu79 said:

If this goes right, they will feature this as a case study in Saleh's ability to develop and discipline players while still being a players coach... Someday.

Let's hope so.

We could also read this as a player who, for a variety reasons, had limited availability this Spring and the early part of Camp.  He had health issues, lost that weight with food poisoning, etc.  How does Saleh foster an environment of meritocracy if he simply inserts Mims at WR2 upon his return?  Saleh is making Mims earn it as he tries to climb the depth chart ladder.  The truly great news seems to be that Mims is responding, is even asking for ST reps, and balled out last night every time the ball touched his hands.

You're exactly right.  Knowing what we do about Saleh I wouldn't be surprised if the conversation with Mims simply went, "I know what you can do and I know what you can be for this team.  But we haven't seen it yet.  I can't just hand you the spot you expect, you'll need to earn it....and it's not me who needs to see it as much as it's your teammates.  You'll have every opportunity to show what you can do."

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Vince Smith made the play on the punt last night, so he’s playing specials. Kinda figured he was going to make the team. Berrios is probably the odd man out especially with the injury now. At least it’s going to come down to him vs Mims I would think.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Vince Smith made the play on the punt last night, so he’s playing specials. Kinda figured he was going to make the team. Berrios is probably the odd man out especially with the injury now. At least it’s going to come down to him vs Mims I would think.

I've always thought of Vyncint Smith and Mims as similar players.  Tall, fast, good skills, with Mims simply being a bit better with more upside.  Thought Mims could be a WR2 and Smith could be a guy right behind him who plays somewhat similarly.

Mims - 6'3", 207 lbs.  4.38 40-time

Smith - 6'3", 203 lbs.  4.36 40-time

I mean c'mon!  Same dudes.  But Smith has had 3+ years to develop, did some time on Houston's practice squad, came to the Jets for the past two years, etc.  He's had time to develop and was mentored by Demaryius Thomas previously.  Mims needs reps, he needs snaps, he needs targets.  With 3 years of development Mims would show he's clearly a better player than Smith IMHO.

Mims???? Hmmmm,

In 3 quick years when Zack steps into Mighty Joe's gleaming Jet 1 Drive glass lined office overlooking his grid iron so perfectly coif    it makes the ground crew of the Augusta National blush but not as rosy as Zack's boyish cheeks as he inks the line that now pays our pretty blue eyed boy from BYU more American Dollars than any player before him in the History of the sport.  And to help celebrate the start of his 2nd contract Zack will be buying all night for his top 3 dawgs: Denzel Mims, Elijah Moors, and our brand new top dawg #1 WR Garrett Wilson stolen in the first round of the upcoming 2022 draft.

Zack Mims Moore and Garrett will go down in history as the most dynamic group of playmakers ever to suit up!

• WTF? 1

8 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

But yet these Denzel Mims critics really think that they can lie to my face and tell me Denzel Mims only recorded 51 receiving yards with a 75% catch rate due to "playing against backups"? 

They cant first whine that Mims is a backup and then whine that Mims the backup performed well against backups

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Mims showed enough to hopefully secure a spot. He’s clearly on the bubble though.

I got our WR depth chart as

Davis, Crowder, Cole, Moore, V Smith and Mims. Michael Carter or Ejijah Moore will handle PR duties with Berrios being cut. 

Mims isnt on the bubble.  Thats Cimini stirring the shlt

2nd round WRs who played all of 8 games in a COVID year, is 6-3, runs a 4.3 40 isnt being dumped.  No matter how many times Cimini says it.

• Upvote 3

Why isn't @RichCimini taking about this (below).

THE ONLY ROOKIE-WR's WITHIN NFL HISTORY WHO'VE (EVER) RECORDED 40+ RECEIVING YARDS THROUGHOUT EACH OF THEIR FIRST 6 CAREER NFL GAMES...

• Andre Johnson (2003).
• Amari Copper (2015). 
• Stefon Diggs (2015). 
• Michael Thomas (2016). 
• CeeDee Lamb (2020). 
DENZEL MIMS (2020). 

And with games of...

• 40 receiving yards.
• 42 receiving yards.
• 42 receiving yards.
• 62 receiving yards.
• 67 receiving yards.
• 71 receiving yards.

Denzel Mims first 6 games = 19 receptions for 324 receiving yards (54.0 yards per game).
Chase Claypool first 6 games = 18 receptions for 333 receiving yards (55.5 yards per game).

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2021 at 12:16 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Denzel Mims first 6 games = 19 receptions for 324 receiving yards (54.0 yards per game).
Chase Claypool first 6 games = 18 receptions for 333 receiving yards (55.5 yards per game).

Mims = 0 TDs

Claypool = 6 TDs

On 8/15/2021 at 2:32 PM, GreenFish said:

Odds of Mims making the roster are literally 100% barring a horrific career ending injury. Teams do not cut elite talents that actually played well in their first seasons and were a 2nd round pick. Just doesn't happen nor should it.

If you watched the second episode of One Jets Drive, it's pretty obvious that Mims is a sort of shy guy that has likely gotten by on athletic superiority in his career. Plus he did have the illness. I think all the Jets are doing to be honest is trying to build up his drive and confidence. Some tough love, then praise to bring him up when he performs. All of this IMO is just a way to make him the best he can be and teach him.  Maybe with another personality they directly mentally and verbally challenge him. Part of being a teacher is knowing how to get to each player.

That is all that is happening here. Berrios and V Smith are the bubble players.

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Odds of Mims making the roster are literally 100% barring a horrific career ending injury. Teams do not cut elite talents that actually played well in their first seasons and were a 2nd round pick. Just doesn't happen nor should it.

If you watched the second episode of One Jets Drive, it's pretty obvious that Mims is a sort of shy guy that has likely gotten by on athletic superiority in his career. Plus he did have the illness. I think all the Jets are doing to be honest is trying to build up his drive and confidence. Some tough love, then praise to bring him up when he performs. All of this IMO is just a way to make him the best he can be and teach him.  Maybe with another personality they directly mentally and verbally challenge him. Part of being a teacher is knowing how to get to each player.

That is all that is happening here. Berrios and V Smith are the bubble players.

exactly right....the premise is dumb. name another wide receiver ever that had a decent rookie year on a horrible team and gut cut the next PRESEASON.

13 hours ago, JTJet said:

Mims = 0 TDs

Claypool = 6 TDs

Mims = Sam Darnold (42nd QB Rating amongst only 32 starters ?) and Joe Flacco (completely washed up).

Claypool = HOF Ben Roethlisberger (33 TDs/10 INTs last year and 4 TDs and 500+ passing yards during his playoff loss vs. Cleveland). 

And if you want me to breakdown the offensive player rosters for both NYJ/PIT along with their coaching staffs...

I can do that for you too. 

Denzel Mims kicked Chase Claypool's ass within every statistical category known to NCAA WR mankind ala receptions, receiving yards, average yards per reception, 1st down receptions and TD catches too (throughout their 3 years of starting). 

The only difference was Chase Claypool was drafted into WR HEAVEN and Denzel Mims was drafted into WR HELL

On 8/15/2021 at 11:30 PM, jetstream23 said:

I've always thought of Vyncint Smith and Mims as similar players.  Tall, fast, good skills, with Mims simply being a bit better with more upside.  Thought Mims could be a WR2 and Smith could be a guy right behind him who plays somewhat similarly.

Mims - 6'3", 207 lbs.  4.38 40-time

Smith - 6'3", 203 lbs.  4.36 40-time

I mean c'mon!  Same dudes.  But Smith has had 3+ years to develop, did some time on Houston's practice squad, came to the Jets for the past two years, etc.  He's had time to develop and was mentored by Demaryius Thomas previously.  Mims needs reps, he needs snaps, he needs targets.  With 3 years of development Mims would show he's clearly a better player than Smith IMHO.

Smith can play special teams, has Mims done that? I know he was practicing it. If it's between the two of them that could be the deciding factor.

3 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Mims = Sam Darnold (42nd QB Rating amongst only 32 starters ?) and Joe Flacco (completely washed up).

Claypool = HOF Ben Roethlisberger (33 TDs/10 INTs last year and 4 TDs and 500+ passing yards during his playoff loss vs. Cleveland). 

And if you want me to breakdown the offensive player rosters for both NYJ/PIT along with their coaching staffs...

I can do that for you too. 

Denzel Mims kicked Chase Claypool's ass within every statistical category known to NCAA WR mankind ala receptions, receiving yards, average yards per reception, 1st down receptions and TD catches too (throughout their 3 years of starting). 

The only difference was Chase Claypool was drafted into WR HEAVEN and Denzel Mims was drafted into WR HELL

NCAA stats are NCAA stats. I'm talking the NFL, and virtually the only thing that matters I'm the NFL is scoring TDs. 

Something Mims knows nothing about. 

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

NCAA stats are NCAA stats. I'm talking the NFL, and virtually the only thing that matters I'm the NFL is scoring TDs. 

Something Mims knows nothing about. 

Oh so receiving yards and receptions means nothing now? Because his first 6 games were every bit of good as Claypool's first 6 games. The only difference is Claypool had a HOF QB who knows how to throw TDs and Denzel Mims didn't (bust and washed up QBs).

Denzel Mims is one of only 6 NFL WRs who've ever recorded 6 consecutive games of 40,+ receiving yards to start off an NFL career. 

I'm just thankful Joe Douglas isn't  @RichCimini or else Denzel Mims would've been released already. 

You're entitled to your opinion and it'll be fun watching Denzel Mims prove so many people wrong this year. 

10 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Oh so receiving yards and receptions means nothing now? Because his first 6 games were every bit of good as Claypool's first 6 games. The only difference is Claypool had a HOF QB who knows how to throw TDs and Denzel Mims didn't (bust and washed up QBs).

Denzel Mims is one of only 6 NFL WRs who've ever recorded 6 consecutive games of 40,+ receiving yards to start off an NFL career. 

I'm just thankful Joe Douglas isn't  @RichCimini or else Denzel Mims would've been released already. 

You're entitled to your opinion and it'll be fun watching Denzel Mims prove so many people wrong this year. 

His first 6 games were not nearly every bit as good. I'm not sure where you're getting this from?

So you're hung up on these 40 yard games, real question, what would you rather have...

6 games 350 yards / 6 TDs (523 yards and 5 TDs in remaining 12 games) stays healthy. 

6 games 324 yards / 0 TDs (33 yards in remaining 12 games) cant stay healthy. 

This is a gigantic difference, both in the first 6 games, and the remaining 12. 

Cause one of these is Denzel Mims and one is Chase Claypool.