THEY SHOULD HAVE HIRED REX AGAIN

THE BARON

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They were outscored by 97 points that season.  Arguably the least competitive 8-8 season of all-time.  And thus it was no surprise when basically the exact same team went 4-12 the following season.

Rex gave us 2 fun seasons.  Then the league figured him out and he sucked from 2011-2016.  He couldn't even get an interview for the U of Miami HC job a few years back.

Let it go.  

The league didn't figure him out.  The manpower on the roster was the issue.   Rex was largely to blame for that.  Although not widely reported, Rex has been approached for DC jobs.  He wont consider any offer other than HC,  That is why he is not working as a coach now.  He was the best coach the Jets had since Parcells.  

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

The league didn't figure him out.  The manpower on the roster was the issue.   Rex was largely to blame for that.  Although not widely reported, Rex has been approached for DC jobs.  He wont consider any offer other than HC,  That is why he is not working as a coach now.  He was the best coach the Jets had since Parcells.  

Really?   They didn't figure him out?  You didn't notice all the overload blitzes Rex ran that offenses were fully prepared for?  You didn't notice how veteran coaches like Belichick, Marvin Lewis, and Tom Coughlin routinely blew him out in his latter 4 seasons here?

And if the roster was the ONLY problem with Rex Ryan....Explain why he failed so miserably in Buffalo?  The same defense that was top 5 under Jim Schwartz suddenly was outside of the top 20 under Rex Ryan, and you had veteran DL on that team complaining about the issues with the scheme.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Really?   They didn't figure him out?  You didn't notice all the overload blitzes Rex ran that offenses were fully prepared for?  You didn't notice how veteran coaches like Belichick, Marvin Lewis, and Tom Coughlin routinely blew him out in his latter 4 seasons here?

And if the roster was the ONLY problem with Rex Ryan....Explain why he failed so miserably in Buffalo?  The same defense that was top 5 under Jim Schwartz suddenly was outside of the top 20 under Rex Ryan, and you had veteran DL on that team complaining about the issues with the scheme.

I can't comment on Buffalo with any specific authority.  I didn't follow them when Rex was there.  I don't think you followed them either.  If you did, you'd know that the overload blitzing decreased markedly when he was with the Bills.

Analysis: Why Rex Ryan's defense failed in Buffalo | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com

I've read and heard many former coaches and players comment on Ryan's tenure with the Bills.  Ed Reed who coached under Rex suggested that the coaching staff Rex assembled didn't work well together.  The explanation I tend to agree with is that there was a conflict in philosophies among players and coaches that became an impediment to progress.  

His lack of success with Buffalo had nothing to do with the "league figuring him out".  

His decline with the Jets had nothing to do with the "league figuring him out" 

More along the lines that he was bad at picking assistants and players and zero to do with X's and O's

I always laud Rex for his ability to scheme, but I also believe he was too much of an emotional reactionary with regard to making player/roster/staff decisions.  Great in game coach, bad administrator.

Still... With a strong GM in place as a backstop against allowing Rex to wreck his own roster, I'd gladly take him over what we have now, or Gase or Bowles 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

I can't comment on Buffalo with any specific authority.  I didn't follow them when Rex was there.  I don't think you followed them either.  If you did, you'd know that the overload blitzing decreased markedly when he was with the Bills.

Analysis: Why Rex Ryan's defense failed in Buffalo | Buffalo Bills News | NFL | buffalonews.com

I've read and heard many former coaches and players comment on Ryan's tenure with the Bills.  Ed Reed who coached under Rex suggested that the coaching staff Rex assembled didn't work well together.  The explanation I tend to agree with is that there was a conflict in philosophies among players and coaches that became an impediment to progress.  

His lack of success with Buffalo had nothing to do with the "league figuring him out".  

His decline with the Jets had nothing to do with the "league figuring him out" 

More along the lines that he was bad at picking assistants and players and zero to do with X's and O's

I always laud Rex for his ability to scheme, but I also believe he was too much of an emotional reactionary with regard to making player/roster/staff decisions.  Great in game coach, bad administrator.

Still... With a strong GM in place as a backstop against allowing Rex to wreck his own roster, I'd gladly take him over what we have now, or Gase or Bowles 

Some good points in here.  But suffice it to say that Rex being better than what we've had since doesn't say much at all.  

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

....Explain why he failed so miserably in Buffalo?  The same defense that was top 5 under Jim Schwartz suddenly was outside of the top 20 under Rex Ryan, and you had veteran DL on that team complaining about the issues with the scheme.

he was 15-16 in 2 years. i wouldn't call that a failure. not bad but not good either. that's what a 500 record is.

he got fired for something behind the scenes. you don't fire a 500 coach with one game to go with Rexs history of coaching. 

you dont think Gase is still here if he went 8-8 or 7-9 last year? of course he would. they would let him finish out his 3rd year to see if we could more forward. with that record your close. just a player or 2 away from the playoffs and then who knows what.

but the 2-14 that Gase had was a huge failure. 

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

That is also a very good point. But he is proven and short of Cowher idk who you could bring in here.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Rex Ryan definitely isn't "proven", since he has been out of the league for 5 years and couldn't get a HC interview with the U of Miami.  

Let him stay retired.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Some good points in here.  But suffice it to say that Rex being better than what we've had since doesn't say much at all.  

True that.  And sad.  I think that Mangini might have continued to improve if he stayed longer.   He was the opposite of Rex.  Great administrator and roster guy, but not a good in game coach.  He was learning on the fly.  After a few more seasons, he might have gotten a lot better as he learned and grew into the big chair.  I also liked Bowles and thought he should have gotten a year or two more.  A smart coach who is a bit laid back like Bowles takes longer to sink into an organization than a firebrand like Rex.  The Bowles teams were never a laughing stock like the Gase teams. Gase was horrible with no chance to go anywhere but down.  Saleh is likeable when I hear him, but I'd like to see better results.  Losing games as a new HC with a new QB, youngest roster in the league and a new OC is expected, but there should be more signs of intelligent design at work. 

Adding here that I heard Steve Young comment on the Jets today.   He said that with all the new pieces the Jets have there is no way that anyone can say where the problem is.  

Rex Ryan definitely isn't "proven", since he has been out of the league for 5 years and couldn't get a HC interview with the U of Miami.  
Let him stay retired.  

Not getting an interview at a college means nothing. Those jobs are tricky. Ask U Conn why they hire who they hire. Budgets, etc. its not an indictment against him as a coach.

Not getting an interview at a college means nothing. Those jobs are tricky. Ask U Conn why they hire who they hire. Budgets, etc. its not an indictment against him as a coach.

If Vince Lombardi awoke from the dead and said he wanted to coach at UConn there is a good chance they would say no.

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“Failed so miserably in Buffalo” Rex took over a 9-7 and went 8-8.  You’re acting like he had the Adam Gase track record

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

OK.  Well there's no explanation for why Rex Ryan hasn't had an NFL or FBS/P5 HC job in 5 years other than to say he probably sucks.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo 24 7 said:

Week 16 in 2016. He punted the ball to Miami with 4 mins left in overtime with our playoff hopes on the line. 
Best part? First play after we punted, Jay Ajayi had a 57 yard run because we only had 10 men on the field.

Rex is a clown.

https://youtu.be/xeNf-axc_4s?t=395

^^^^^

:rl:  Rex would fit right in with our current coaching staff.

also, after pettine left the Defense was poorly coached. When opponents had the ball in the red zone the Jets consistently either had too many men on the field or not enough and either had to call a timeout or got penalized. Am I the only person that saw a huge drop off in Rex’s vaunted defense after Pettine left?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

**** no .. jesus that guy was a disaster

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

what do you call todays coach or gase? rex took us to the playoffs and the team was competitive -him and parcells are the only coaches to do anything for the jets but yet stupid fans hate them and defend our GMs and our other horrible coaches

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

what do you call todays coach or gase? rex took us to the playoffs and the team was competitive -him and parcells are the only coaches to do anything for the jets but yet stupid fans hate them and defend our GMs and our other horrible coaches

Rex took us on Mangini's coat tails ... He was the right man at the right time (the Jets needed a jolt of energy and passion)  ... brought the bluster, but his unyeilding immaturity was eventually exposed. He gave it his all .. it was not enough.

Loyalty to Vets that had no business being on the field ... not to mention the off field shenanigans ... there is a reason he is in the broadcast booth and not coaching one of the 32 teams in the NFL.

Edited by Dunnie

7 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Rex took us on Mangini's coat tails ... He was the right man at the right time (the Jets needed a jolt of energy and passion)  ... brought the bluster, but his unyeilding immaturity was eventually exposed. He gave it his all .. it was not enough.

Loyalty to Vets that had no business being on the field ... not to mention the off field shenanigans ... there is a reason he is in the broadcast booth and not coaching one of the 32 teams in the NFL.

once again his production puts him near the top of all jet coaches in the history of the franchise -I can assure you when we had leo, adams and company if he was coaching our d would have been lights out

Do I think bringing him back would be the solution for the future no I do not-do I think he is better and more qualified than our current coach-100% without question and if the choice was rex or our currrent staff, I go Rex everyday of the week and twice on Sunday as they say

51 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Rex could easily get a DC job next season if he wanted.  He only wants to be a head coach otherwise it’s tv where he can make more money than as a defensive coordinator 

Meanwhile 32 NFL teams won’t let the greatest drafter ever Eric Mangini sniff a GM job let alone an assistant gig 

1 hour ago, Albaniajet said:

Rex could easily get a DC job next season if he wanted.  He only wants to be a head coach otherwise it’s tv where he can make more money than as a defensive coordinator 

Meanwhile 32 NFL teams won’t let the greatest drafter ever Eric Mangini sniff a GM job let alone an assistant gig 

Im sure Mangini has been blackballed out of the NFL by Kraft and Sons.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Geno didn’t exactly play on the 2000 Rams either skippy

Thought that name calling was against rules - :-)

And that Jets team was way better than this team at this point; but yeah; in 5 years lets see whose career is better; in fact, there are plenty of HOF QBs that have had rough starts - but yeah, let's evaluate a guy on a team with no OL, guys who can't catch 3 games in