Stay. The. Course.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:34 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Stop being such a bunch of hypocritical pussies. 

All I kept hearing was that we need our own coach and QB.  We need to start from scratch.  That we need to develop younger players and stop wasting time playing vets.  Just this past season the board was overrun with posts complaining that Bell and Gore were on the field.  2015 is lambasted as a disaster because we didn't make the playoffs and developed nothing.  The board almost universally complains about late season wins because they cost us draft capital.  People would rather go 0-16 than 8-8.  Now they are doing what you asked and you whine like my son avoiding "rest your eyes time" at pre-school?  Suck it up.

Things have looked bad.  That is no guarantee of success, but it is not a guarantee of failure either.  Andy Reid started off -0-4 in Philly.  He was an offensive genius brought over from the Packers and his teams scored 29 points over the first 3 games including being shut out.  Sound familiar?  Kyle Shanahan, with these very guys on staff, started off 0-9 in SF.

sh*t may look up and it may not, but Douglas was a well respected hire.  He was not some dunce that couldn't handle a press conference brought over because he was the only guy willing to take on Rex.  He was not some coffee addled protege of a guy who goes to the wig store and asks for the Moe Howard.  He is a guy everybody said would right the ship and play the long game.  He is playing the long game.  Live with it.  Barring some real insanity he gets this year and next.   He should.  

Very good post you don’t have new coaches , new system , Rookie QBs , and a lot rookies and you were always going to struggle.  It takes time to learn a system, and for everyone to get on the sane page.   Derek Carr is going on his fourth year in J Gruden system - you think any QB would do better not knowing the system as well as he knows it by now.

Jet fan have to have patience  as You can’t keep changing system , and expect Zach Wilson to grow as a Qb.    ( all you would be doing is setting the kid up for failure) .   Jets might need to get some more experience coaches on staff , and some experience players in the system they’re running to show the young guys  correct way it should look.

I know it’s tough but the best way is to stay the course with this coach, and give the system and everyone to catch up.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:48 AM, Beerfish said:

Almost no one is beefing at all in the least about us losing games.

People are beefing because most of the 'promising' players we have gone out and got or drafted look like garbage.

If we were losing but Elijah Moore was looking good, Michael carter was looking good, Zac Wilson was making some great plays and having errors.  Becton was not hurt all the time.

The offense though not producing big points as looking creative and promising.

That though losing all world Quinnen and mosley looked good.

The team flat out looks bad, the offensive scheme looks bad.

Realistic fans know the jets will stay the course as douglas and saleh are going no where for at least3 more years.

People totally have the right to be pissed, the team is almost unwatchable right now.

Win or look good losing.

I agree with absolutely everything in this post except the statement that the jets are “almost unwatchable right now”. There is no almost. They are firmly in unwatchable mode, and worse than that is that they’ve become so perpetually bad that no on likes to even make fun of them anymore. Instead, they are pitied. I was in Denver. The fans around me were pretty confident of a bronco win before the game. By the end of the first quarter, they were 100% sure of a win. By halftime, feeling bad that i root for a terrible team, they began efforts to search for the bright side for me. There were few they could identify and none of it was based on anything occurring on the field.

I am despondent and disheartened. The team has no fire, no clue and little talent. And the only reason people can site for having hope is that it is early in Saleh’s tenure and the team is young. Sure, i get that. But i need to see hope on the field. I’ll be watching once again sunday. Perhaps they will do something in the game to give me hope, but at this point they’ve given me no actual evidence that believing they will improve  is a rational thought.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I agree with absolutely everything in this post except the statement that the jets are “almost unwatchable right now”. There is no almost. They are firmly in unwatchable mode, and worse than that is that they’ve become so perpetually bad that no on likes to even make fun of them anymore. Instead, they are pitied. I was in Denver. The fans around me were pretty confident of a bronco win before the game. By the end of the first quarter, they were 100% sure of a win. By halftime, feeling bad that i root for a terrible team, they began efforts to search for the bright side for me. There were few they could identify and none of it was based on anything occurring on the field.

I am despondent and disheartened. The team has no fire, no clue and little talent. And the only reason people can site for having hope is that it is early in Saleh’s tenure and the team is young. Sure, I get that. But I need to see hope on the field. I’ll be watching once again Sunday. Perhaps they will do something in the game to give me hope, but at this point they’ve given me no actual evidence that believing they will improve  is a rational thought.

Nice post....I'm a couch potato but none the less you've summed up my feelings as well.

My main concern/complaint is that if these a$$holes can't figure out a way to keep Zack from getting killed out there then he will become broken just as Mark was broken.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I am despondent and disheartened. The team has no fire, no clue and little talent. And the only reason people can site for having hope is that it is early in Saleh’s tenure and the team is young. Sure, i get that. But i need to see hope on the field. I’ll be watching once again sunday. Perhaps they will do something in the game to give me hope, but at this point they’ve given me no actual evidence that believing they will improve  is a rational thought.

I feel this. My family was reaching out to me with nice messages 1qtr through because they knew how bad it was. Nothing about them gets me excited, hopeful, or cheery. I can deal with losing , but at least let me enjoy a ball game. 20 points through 3 games?

They look completely lost. Excuse me for not buying into the “their young”‘so it’s apparently ok to lose like this excuse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I feel this. My family was reaching out to me with nice messages 1qtr through because they knew how bad it was. Nothing about them gets me excited, hopeful, or cheery. I can deal with losing , but at least let me enjoy a ball game. 20 points through 3 games?

They look completely lost. Excuse me for not buying into the “their young”‘so it’s apparently ok to lose like this excuse. 

Your family was leaning into lend you emotional support, for a Football game? whut?  lol

Lil Kevy Kev - do you need a hobby? 

• Haha 1

Seems to be a common theme here that 0-3 is unacceptable.  Figured I'd address the 0-3 start to Robert Saleh's career, yeah it's not fun, but it's not uncommon and interestingly enough there are a couple of examples right now of teams sticking to their plan, enduring a few bad seasons and now are reaping the benefits.  I know, I know, it's about how they looked.  News flash; that doesnt mean sh*t, situations are different for everyone.

Example 1;  the Denver Broncos.  Vic Fangio started his career 0-4.  Went 7-9 and followed it up 2020 0-3 and finished 5-11.  They are currently 3-0 and the arrow is pointing up.

Example 2; the Cincinnati Bengals.  Zach Taylor started his career 0-11.  Won 2 games, followed it up with a 4-11 season and now are sitting at 3-1.

Example 3; the San Fran 49'ers.  Kyle Shannahan started his career 0-9.  They went 6-10.   They followed it up with a 1-7 start to finish 4-12.  The following year they went to the Super Bowl.

Example 4: Las Vegas Raiders.  Jon Gruden started his career w/ Raiders the 2nd time around 1-8 and won 4 games. Have gone 7-9 and 8-8 since and are now, 3-0.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Your family was leaning into lend you emotional support, for a Football game? whut?  lol

Lil Kevy Kev - do you need a hobby? 

If that was required, the only two options that immediately come to mind are:

1. He’s the most emotionally fragile human among us, whom civil society should dare not trigger lest innocents will suffer. 

2. He’s got, and has led, the most adversity-barren life, where the very routine, annual occurrence of the Jets sucking at football warrants an emotional support network…and therefore is someone whom civil society should dare not trigger lest innocents will suffer lol.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:43 AM, kevinc855 said:

How long are we holding onto the guys resume instead of looking at the actual results of 2.5 wasted years from him

Hey but ......

Douglas used to smell Ozzie Newsomes farts for years when he was employed with the Baltimore Ravens....   Lets extend him for another 6 years

2 minutes ago, Jet hustle said:

Hey but ......

Douglas used to smell Ozzie Newsomes farts for years when he was employed with the Baltimore Ravens....   Lets extend him for another 6 years

It seems JD defenders want to hang on to this early 2019 notion that it was a "good hire" Yes from 2019 it did. But ever hire the wrong guy at work, or see guy get a promotion and struggle? It happens, being "the guy" or the GM is completely different then being on a Front Office staff. JD didn't build anything in Bmore or Philly and wasn't making the final decisions. 

Here he is making the final decisions, and alot of them have been BAD. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If that was required, the only two options that immediately come to mind are:

1. He’s the most emotionally fragile human among us, whom civil society should dare not trigger lest innocents will suffer. 

2. He’s got, and has led, the most adversity-barren life, where the very routine, annual occurrence of the Jets sucking at football warrants an emotional support network…and therefore is someone whom civil society should dare not trigger lest innocents will suffer lol.

Spent a year of my life in Afghanistan.....but yes please continue to lecture me about living a sheltered life because its upsetting to me to watch this putrid performance each and every week. STAY DA COURSEE BROOO, JD GONA EAT A SAUSAGE AND BUILD DIS TEAM!!! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Conklin

Robby

Hopkins

Wirfs

Claypool

Thuney

Linsley

He doesn't have to get all of them but to act like there weren't moves to be made that could have added wins it utter delusion. The hoops people will jump through to defend a guy who's done absolutely nothing for the Jets in over two years is astounding. 

Mike Maccagnan was in charge of free agency and the draft in 2019. What moves would have added wins?

Joe Douglas should have told Mike Maccagnan to draft Wirfs in a year when he was not available? 

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Mike Maccagnan was in charge of free agency and the draft in 2019. What moves would have added wins?

Joe Douglas should have told Mike Maccagnan to draft Wirfs in a year when he was not available? 

Year aside and all BUT do you still agree Becton over Wirfs was the right pick? I find these answers to be fascinating as the answer is becoming clearer and clearer by the week. 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:34 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Stop being such a bunch of hypocritical pussies. 

All I kept hearing was that we need our own coach and QB.  We need to start from scratch.  That we need to develop younger players and stop wasting time playing vets.  Just this past season the board was overrun with posts complaining that Bell and Gore were on the field.  2015 is lambasted as a disaster because we didn't make the playoffs and developed nothing.  The board almost universally complains about late season wins because they cost us draft capital.  People would rather go 0-16 than 8-8.  Now they are doing what you asked and you whine like my son avoiding "rest your eyes time" at pre-school?  Suck it up.

Things have looked bad.  That is no guarantee of success, but it is not a guarantee of failure either.  Andy Reid started off -0-4 in Philly.  He was an offensive genius brought over from the Packers and his teams scored 29 points over the first 3 games including being shut out.  Sound familiar?  Kyle Shanahan, with these very guys on staff, started off 0-9 in SF.

sh*t may look up and it may not, but Douglas was a well respected hire.  He was not some dunce that couldn't handle a press conference brought over because he was the only guy willing to take on Rex.  He was not some coffee addled protege of a guy who goes to the wig store and asks for the Moe Howard.  He is a guy everybody said would right the ship and play the long game.  He is playing the long game.  Live with it.  Barring some real insanity he gets this year and next.   He should.  

Great Post Dom.

This is exactly how its going down and should go down . While I have some complaints on players, most often the WR's, that does not mean it can't change next year or even this year. This could very well be about every player on this offense in a new system with a rookie QB, Rookie OC and Rookie HC. When you have that type of situation everything is under the microscope.

Only frustrating thing for me at this stage is the fact that when our rookie QB has made some good plays on third down his so called most reliable WR's who are Vets have let him down with drops stalling drives and making it that much harder on him. Maybe we should have went after a Julio Jones type just to help the kid along because a Jones type is a guy you know you can put the ball in his vicinity and he's more than likely going to out battle the CB for the ball and certainly not drop passes in his hands on third down. Sometimes you need to get that veteran presence that can help said rookie out at times.

The real evaluation of what we have, IMHO, does not start until after the mid way point when these players should have a better grasp of the system and the coaches a better grasp on what these players are capable of.

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Year aside and all BUT do you still agree Becton over Wirfs was the right pick? I find these answers to be fascinating as the answer is becoming clearer and clearer by the week. 

Its impossible to know when players are going to have injury issues. A fully healthy Becton could very well turn out to be a damn good player as he has shown numerous signs of being. if his injuries over come him then it becomes more an element of bad luck than what the GM did in that draft.

22 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Spent a year of my life in Afghanistan.....but yes please continue to lecture me about living a sheltered life because its upsetting to me to watch this putrid performance each and every week. STAY DA COURSEE BROOO, JD GONA EAT A SAUSAGE AND BUILD DIS TEAM!!! 

You realize you are watching a team with 21 2nd year players or less a rookie HC and OC in a year we decided to blow it all up and start from scratch with an entire new philosophy ? Did you think there would not be serious bumps in the road when you add a boat load of injuries to that equation ? Seriously ?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Its impossible to know when players are going to have injury issues. A fully healthy Becton could very well turn out to be a damn good player as he has shown numerous signs of being. if his injuries over come him then it becomes more an element of bad luck than what the GM did in that draft.

Durability is a factor in a player being successful in this league.

Hard cold truth

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

In retrospect, Wirfs was the pick. At the time, Becton made sense. Based on his limited body of work, this guy has potential to be an all-time great. Unless JD knew that Becton was injury prone, the Becton pick was the correct pick at the time. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:48 AM, Beerfish said:

Almost no one is beefing at all in the least about us losing games.

People are beefing because most of the 'promising' players we have gone out and got or drafted look like garbage.

If we were losing but Elijah Moore was looking good, Michael carter was looking good, Zac Wilson was making some great plays and having errors.  Becton was not hurt all the time.

The offense though not producing big points as looking creative and promising.

That though losing all world Quinnen and mosley looked good.

The team flat out looks bad, the offensive scheme looks bad.

Realistic fans know the jets will stay the course as douglas and saleh are going no where for at least3 more years.

People totally have the right to be pissed, the team is almost unwatchable right now.

Win or look good losing.

The team struggled early in week one, but rebounded in the second half.  Encouraging.

The team looked good week two, but Wilson looked like a rookie thrown into the deep end.

The team looked bad all the way around week three.

The team has not been bad week in and week out, and with the youngest team in the league with a rookie HC and OC, I'll take 2 out of three weeks all year long. 

Let's see them rebound and improve week 4, I know it is so late in the season,  but ?

12 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Actually it’s part of player evaluations without a doubt 

I'm not 100 % sure but I think Becton may have missed one game in college from what I just read.

That being said I was the guy saying Becton was too big and should seriously think about losing some weight because IMHO all that weight will have some impact on his physical health. But coming out of college with minimal time missed is not anything that should alarm a GM into not selecting that player . 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, hawk said:

The team looked good week two

Nah man, they didn't. They scored 6 points. 25 points put on  the Defense. Patriots are 1-2 also with a rookie QB struggling. 

Not one time did I think they looked "good". Is the bar so low that whenever we run the ball for 5-7 yards instead of 1 we look "good"

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Seems to be a common theme here that 0-3 is unacceptable.  Figured I'd address the 0-3 start to Robert Saleh's career, yeah it's not fun, but it's not uncommon and interestingly enough there are a couple of examples right now of teams sticking to their plan, enduring a few bad seasons and now are reaping the benefits.  I know, I know, it's about how they looked.  News flash; that doesnt mean sh*t, situations are different for everyone.

Example 1;  the Denver Broncos.  Vic Fangio started his career 0-4.  Went 7-9 and followed it up 2020 0-3 and finished 5-11.  They are currently 3-0 and the arrow is pointing up.

Example 2; the Cincinnati Bengals.  Zach Taylor started his career 0-11.  Won 2 games, followed it up with a 4-11 season and now are sitting at 3-1.

Example 3; the San Fran 49'ers.  Kyle Shannahan started his career 0-9.  They went 6-10.   They followed it up with a 1-7 start to finish 4-12.  The following year they went to the Super Bowl.

Example 4: Las Vegas Raiders.  Jon Gruden started his career w/ Raiders the 2nd time around 1-8 and won 4 games. Have gone 7-9 and 8-8 since and are now, 3-0.

Exactly.  Pretty much what I was trying to say.   It's not that starting off this horribly means they will be good, but it certainly does not preclude the result we are seeking.

OTOH, it is probably a bad sign that I read your post and thought:  A bunch of sh*tty teams are off to hot starts this year!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Exactly.  Pretty much what I was trying to say.   It's not that starting off this horribly means they will be good, but it certainly does not preclude the result we are seeking.

OTOH, it is probably a bad sign that I read your post and thought:  A bunch of sh*tty teams are off to hot starts this year!

100%.  Just like the whole Peyton Manning holds the rookie INT argument thingy.  Doesnt mean every sh*tty rookie QB is turning into Manning but simply, this panic attack is ridiculous.  There are 14 games left in the season. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

maybe I am showing my agi here but what is this? i mean yeah some old timer movie but what does he say in it? same of stink ice? lol i have not idea what he said. I saw the longer clip and could see him shooting actual peasants, so I think I get the drift of what the meaning is, but i swear i could not comprehend the words the king says or meaning..

lil help? for us fans that never grew up with black and white TV old timer? (i dont know why Im trying to make old person jokes) - in all actuality the older movies and shows and just media in general us usually much more wity and intelligent than the watered down crap we get today. I mean today the by far most successful and intelligent movies are Marvel. ******* comic books I read when i was like 5 or whatever. God I hate ....anyway, yeah so what is this kings say in the vid?

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Nah man, they didn't. They scored 6 points. 25 points put on  the Defense. Patriots are 1-2 also with a rookie QB struggling. 

Not one time did I think they looked "good". Is the bar so low that whenever we run the ball for 5-7 yards instead of 1 we look "good"

Actually just thinking about the whole season I don't think we give enough credit to opposing teams doing their jobs. I mean they were all three good def and well built teams. Carolina is good, Pats are played it safe and zach was tossing out int like candy.

Also you are right with your statement above, first down look glorious right now - way more than they should. But the sky is not falling..