Former NY Jet John Abraham says we should sign Cam Newton

*disclaimer Im just posting the article from nj.com I have no opinion 

Joe Douglas should help Zach Wilson by signing ex-NFL MVP, former Jets star says

Updated: 7:21 a.m. | Published: 7:20 a.m.

Jets practice before Titans game, Sept. 30, 2021

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

And now for something completely different.

Former New York Jets defensive end John Abraham has an idea how the team can help rookie quarterback Zach Wilson. Per WFAN:

“Hell, why not get Cam Newton?” he said on the “Upon Further Review” podcast with Zach Brook on Thursday. “I know it don’t sound right — just to save some games. Save some face. Cam’s a good leader. He can show how to sit in the pocket, show him how to take hits – Cam got hit more than damn near any quarterback in the world – also he knows New England inside and out. … Cam is chilling at home … and he’s played Buffalo. Miami. He’s played those teams in the division. Why not? And if you don’t have him start at that time he’s a good coach. He’ll be a great coach. He’ll bring momentum, bring a couple more people in the stands just to see him. It might not sound good but it sounds right to me.”

The 32-year-old Newton spent last season with the New England Patriots. But the 2015 NFL MVP was cut before the start of the 2021 campaign, with the Patriots committing to rookie Mac Jones, the No. 15 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Newton struggled in his one season in Foxborough (7-8 record, eight TD passes, 10 interceptions), but it’s not like the Jets have much to brag about when it comes to backing up Wilson.

Mike White is listed as the Jets’ No. 2 quarterback. A fifth-round draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys in 2018, White has never played in an NFL regular-season game.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

*disclaimer Im just posting the article from nj.com I have no opinion 

Joe Douglas should help Zach Wilson by signing ex-NFL MVP, former Jets star says

Updated: 7:21 a.m. | Published: 7:20 a.m.

Jets practice before Titans game, Sept. 30, 2021

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

And now for something completely different.

Former New York Jets defensive end John Abraham has an idea how the team can help rookie quarterback Zach Wilson. Per WFAN:

“Hell, why not get Cam Newton?” he said on the “Upon Further Review” podcast with Zach Brook on Thursday. “I know it don’t sound right — just to save some games. Save some face. Cam’s a good leader. He can show how to sit in the pocket, show him how to take hits – Cam got hit more than damn near any quarterback in the world – also he knows New England inside and out. … Cam is chilling at home … and he’s played Buffalo. Miami. He’s played those teams in the division. Why not? And if you don’t have him start at that time he’s a good coach. He’ll be a great coach. He’ll bring momentum, bring a couple more people in the stands just to see him. It might not sound good but it sounds right to me.”

The 32-year-old Newton spent last season with the New England Patriots. But the 2015 NFL MVP was cut before the start of the 2021 campaign, with the Patriots committing to rookie Mac Jones, the No. 15 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Newton struggled in his one season in Foxborough (7-8 record, eight TD passes, 10 interceptions), but it’s not like the Jets have much to brag about when it comes to backing up Wilson.

Mike White is listed as the Jets’ No. 2 quarterback. A fifth-round draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys in 2018, White has never played in an NFL regular-season game.

season 4 song GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I know it don’t sound right — just to save some games. Save some face

He summed it up rather well right there. 
This ‘21 Saleh team is SO offensive and inept at the pro level in play design and executing the offense that it’s blatantly embarrassing and amateurish. This is now a poor reflection of the CS and FO in misevaluating the poor depth of an unprepared team.  Injuries only exacerbate the problem but also reveals the festering sore of poor decision making. 

……and NO! You don’t sign Newton to this already sinking ship. Tell Abe to shut up and strap on a helmet so he can play DE. Lol I’m sure he has some left in the tank & Still BETTER than what the Jets currently have rushing the passer. 

• Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

We'd never sign Cam because in a straight up competition Zack would never see the field.

Well, you would only sign him because you don't want to ruin or injure ZW because of the absolute mess the Jets are in.

This wouldn't be about bencing Zach or creating competition it would be about protecting him against the disaster they put him in.

• Upvote 3

Some of us are of the school that if you are not going to make the playoffs and compete, might was well tank for the better draft pick so you can make the playoffs and compete in the future.

A response to that could be that you should be competing so you can develop your offense, but our OL and scheme are so bad now the QB is only going to get permanently damaged.  

So playing Newton behind this line for relatively cheap is not a bad idea to me.   I would not characterize it like wasting picks and money like on Percy Harvin.  I would say leave it alone and let us crumble, but then we have to bench ZW for Mike White.  I think there may be league rules against that.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, varjet said:

but then we have to bench ZW for Mike White. 

ZW is on pace to get sacked 85 times behind the glorious JD built line.....Mike White time is coming, I just dont think it will be because we bench him if you get my drift..

This offense with Mike White.....we think its bad now....

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

ZW is on pace to get sacked 85 times behind the glorious JD built line.....Mike White time is coming, I just dont think it will be because we bench him if you get my drift..

This offense with Mike White.....we think its bad now....

So you're saying Mike White will be a Luke Falk like disaster. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Was Glenn Foley not available for comment?

What about Kyle Brady, what does he think?  

Honestly, if Dorian Boose says sign Cam, I'm signing Cam, right then and there.

John Abraham is the last legitimate pass rusher we had give the man a little respect. 

• Upvote 1

" I know it don't sound right" 

Yo me neither!

F*** John Abraham he's a sellout wussie shill that turned his back on his own teammates.

For those of you that didn't see it in real time, this guy faked pulling up lame and pulled himself out of the playoffs and left his own team hanging. Worried about himself and his own contract. Real team player huh?

• Upvote 4

Well, you would only sign him because you don't want to ruin or injure ZW because of the absolute mess the Jets are in.
This wouldn't be about bencing Zach or creating competition it would be about protecting him against the disaster they put him in.

What he’s saying is in no world would Zach ever best Newton for a starting job if given a fair opportunity. Not this year, now next year, never.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Was Glenn Foley not available for comment?

What about Kyle Brady, what does he think?  

Honestly, if Dorian Boose says sign Cam, I'm signing Cam, right then and there.

100% Agree..I'd rather hear Wicket the Ewoks opinion, or maybe even Ronald McDonald!? Let's ask Michael Vick's opinion too.. cuz he's such a hero!

• Upvote 1

Know who should have been starting for the Jets this year?

Mitch Trubisky.

The Jets should have had a viable vet from day one to start, this is on Douglas and Saleh.

We had cap space and guys were out there.

As for Cam Newton, no he is shot, he is awful and probably not better than Josh Johnson.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1