Former NY Jet John Abraham says we should sign Cam Newton

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Know who should have been starting for the Jets this year?

Mitch Trubisky.

The Jets should have had a viable vet from day one to start, this is on Douglas and Saleh.

We had cap space and guys were out there.

As for Cam Newton, no he is shot, he is awful and probably not better than Josh Johnson.

Why would we trade Darnold just to get Trubisky?

If that was the need, why not just stay with Sam?

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why would we trade Darnold just to get Trubisky?

If that was the need, why not just stay with Sam?

Darnold was run out of town here.  Trubisky signed with Buffalo as a FA one year deal.

New QB one years hold over without the drama of Darnold and we keep our two picks we got for Darnold.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Darnold was run out of town here.  Trubisky signed with Buffalo as a FA one year deal.

New QB one years hold over without the drama of Darnold and we keep our two picks we got for Darnold.

"Should Wilson have sat/had to earn the starting job" is a fair question, quibbles about who to compete against him aside.

Generally, I am of the "all players must earn their job on the field" school, but we see how well that goes with angry impatient fans so far in re: Mims, lol.

Ultimately, the #2 pick in the draft is expected to start opening day.  It is what it is I guess.  The die was cast, it cannot be uncast now.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Hell, why not get Cam Newton?” he said on the “Upon Further Review” podcast with Zach Brook on Thursday. “I know it don’t sound right

Could've stopped right there.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He can show how to sit in the pocket, show him how to take hits

Nah, the offensive line has that covered.

I wouldn't sign Cam but I would activate Josh Johnson and if things go south in a game for Wilson put him in. I heard the HC say the other day that Wilson is close to breaking out and when he does it will verify why he was the Jets overall 2 draft pick. We've heard this before. And how long will that take and how many losses will we endure. It's not just the picks it's the sacks and there's a lot of them. When a Qb is sacked this much it's not just the O-line. It's also on the Qb. Regular season is not practice time for a new Qb. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I wouldn't sign Cam but I would activate Josh Johnson and if things go south in a game for Wilson put him in. I heard the HC say the other day that Wilson is close to breaking out and when he does it will verify why he was the Jets overall 2 draft pick. We've heard this before. And how long will that take and how many losses will we endure. It's not just the picks it's the sacks and there's a lot of them. When a Qb is sacked this much it's not just the O-line. It's also on the Qb. Regular season is not practice time for a new Qb. 

Unfortunately, there is so much going on now that we have heard before.  On the one hand, it may be unfair to saddle this team with the weight of the failure of past regimes, but as fans, sitting through this same crap, every year for the last 11 years (and a whole lot of other years before that), I want to give this regime more than 3 games to prove themselves, but sitting through efforts like these last two weeks makes it tough.  My expectations are so low right now, that I just want them to give me some little glimmer of hope tomorrow.  Don't expect it though.

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

"Should Wilson have sat/had to earn the starting job" is a fair question, quibbles about who to compete against him aside.

Generally, I am of the "all players must earn their job on the field" school, but we see how well that goes with angry impatient fans so far in re: Mims, lol.

Ultimately, the #2 pick in the draft is expected to start opening day.  It is what it is I guess.  The die was cast, it cannot be uncast now.

A revamped line and a competent OC was needed.  We failed Zach on both fronts. 

BB dumped Cam over a rookie who is playing on a better team and is struggling as well. Why?

1. the guy had to skip practice for a week because he chose not to get vaccinated and then left the state requiring him to sit out.

2. he just sucked last year

3. BB didn't want him to compete with the QB who is the future for a few extra wins - go figure

-- but yeah, let's sign this guy who is trouble all by himself; who is injury prone - so won't make it very far behind this line; why? so we can win a few meaningless games early on.

The team needs to gel and move forward and progress or the rebuild will fail (and no it hasn't failed by week 3). Propping the team up with has-been vets is what he have tried to do for the last 3 years or so - lets give the true rebuild more than a month to work.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:12 AM, joewilly12 said:

*disclaimer Im just posting the article from nj.com I have no opinion 

Joe Douglas should help Zach Wilson by signing ex-NFL MVP, former Jets star says

Updated: 7:21 a.m. | Published: 7:20 a.m.

Jets practice before Titans game, Sept. 30, 2021

Facebook Share

Twitter Share

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

And now for something completely different.

Former New York Jets defensive end John Abraham has an idea how the team can help rookie quarterback Zach Wilson. Per WFAN:

“Hell, why not get Cam Newton?” he said on the “Upon Further Review” podcast with Zach Brook on Thursday. “I know it don’t sound right — just to save some games. Save some face. Cam’s a good leader. He can show how to sit in the pocket, show him how to take hits – Cam got hit more than damn near any quarterback in the world – also he knows New England inside and out. … Cam is chilling at home … and he’s played Buffalo. Miami. He’s played those teams in the division. Why not? And if you don’t have him start at that time he’s a good coach. He’ll be a great coach. He’ll bring momentum, bring a couple more people in the stands just to see him. It might not sound good but it sounds right to me.”

The 32-year-old Newton spent last season with the New England Patriots. But the 2015 NFL MVP was cut before the start of the 2021 campaign, with the Patriots committing to rookie Mac Jones, the No. 15 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Newton struggled in his one season in Foxborough (7-8 record, eight TD passes, 10 interceptions), but it’s not like the Jets have much to brag about when it comes to backing up Wilson.

Mike White is listed as the Jets’ No. 2 quarterback. A fifth-round draft pick of the Dallas Cowboys in 2018, White has never played in an NFL regular-season game.

Sxrew that guy