LEASH IS OFF!!!! Wilson to RIP IT for rest of season

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe I'm reading into it but it sure does sound like he's basically saying I have to figure this on my own and not really being told the right thing.

I read it that he's not inviting LaFleur to go stay in Utah with him for 4 days ... seems fair enough to me! :D 

6 hours ago, jgb said:

The solution to throwing too many hero balls is to throw more hero balls

Ripping it doesn't necessarily mean a 40 yard bomb on every play. It's about throwing the short pass on instinct rather than looking at the target, thinking about where the receiver will be in 0.x seconds, where's the defender, do I go outside the WR or lead him a bit upfield, that's Moore who has a better chance of a catch if the ball is a bit more drilled in than a softer pass ...

Just throw the damned ball and don't overthink it. Easier said than done though. I hope he can sort it out and that the guys around him support him (catch the damned ball, block better, pick him up after an INT or an incompletion).

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Ripping it doesn't necessarily mean a 40 yard bomb on every play. It's about throwing the short pass on instinct rather than looking at the target, thinking about where the receiver will be in 0.x seconds, where's the defender, do I go outside the WR or lead him a bit upfield, that's Moore who has a better chance of a catch if the ball is a bit more drilled in than a softer pass ...

Just throw the damned ball and don't overthink it. Easier said than done though. I hope he can sort it out and that the guys around him support him (catch the damned ball, block better, pick him up after an INT or an incompletion).

There's a fine line between not over-thinking it and knowing what the Hell you are doing out there.

This is yet another data point that LaFleur's system may be too complex. A good coach would simplify things and bring players along to highlight their strengths. Starting to worry LaFleur is too stubborn/inflexible. Patriot's offense looks boring as Hell right now but there is no denying that Mac Jones looks way more comfortable in it. They also don't have world-beating weapons to work with.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

There's a fine line between not over-thinking it and knowing what the Hell you are doing out there.

This is yet another data point that LaFleur's system may be too complex. A good coach would simplify things and bring players along to highlight their strengths. Starting to worry LaFleur is too stubborn/inflexible. Patriot's offense looks boring as Hell right now but there is no denying that Mac Jones looks way more comfortable in it. They also don't have world-beating weapons to work with.

Oh I agree ... I can relate to that too from my own experience of coaching (albeit at a far lower level and a different sport!).

I was working with an archery coach to improve my technique. He was known to be a really good coach, had worked with the top shooters in our club / district, but I struggled sometimes with his explanations of what was needed of me. Kept referring to which muscle sets needed to do what, I needed to use more this and less that ... meant nothing to me and I got more frustrated than anything.

One session he could see we were going nowhere and pointed me at another coach and said "go talk to him". I explained the issue and the guy gave me such a simple explanation of what to do it made sense straight away. He gave me practical rather than theoretical explanations and really "dumbed it down" and that one issue was sorted in under 5 minutes.

Hopefully Zach talking to another coach for a while can sort a few things out if they are blocking him so he can get back to the program with those issues out of the way. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks if he's making progress.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Oh I agree ... I can relate to that too from my own experience of coaching (albeit at a far lower level and a different sport!).

I was working with an archery coach to improve my technique. He was known to be a really good coach, had worked with the top shooters in our club / district, but I struggled sometimes with his explanations of what was needed of me. Kept referring to which muscle sets needed to do what, I needed to use more this and less that ... meant nothing to me and I got more frustrated than anything.

One session he could see we were going nowhere and pointed me at another coach and said "go talk to him". I explained the issue and the guy gave me such a simple explanation of what to do it made sense straight away. He gave me practical rather than theoretical explanations and really "dumbed it down" and that one issue was sorted in under 5 minutes.

Hopefully Zach talking to another coach for a while can sort a few things out if they are blocking him so he can get back to the program with those issues out of the way. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks if he's making progress.

Not like we are winning games with this complex system anyway. Sometimes when coaches are fixated on "out smarting" the defense they end up out smarting their own players.

Simplify the system. Don't worry about looking clever or cute or even winning the game. Everything on that side of the ball should be about getting Zach confidence reps and then install more complex elements as he settles in. This is basically what the Pats are doing now.

It really isn't rocket science. But there seems to be an epidemic among OCs where their top priority is to prove how clever they are to make them a hot HC candidate.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

I just hope he tells Zach to tune out LaFleur.

A good coach should never tell a player to ignore another coach. He should try to resolve whatever struggles the guy is having with that coach (if there even are any), suggest ways to work with said coach to move forward and improve.

Coaching isn't supposed to be a competition, it's about working to help someone improve. If it becomes a competition or a conflict then it has failed. And honestly I see so much effort on the forums lately to bring that conflict into existence even if it doesn't exist - that way we have our good guy (Zach) and our bad guy (LaFleur) and we just need to kill the bad guy so the good guy will win.

Life's not that simple or black and white.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not like we are winning games with this complex system anyway. Sometimes when coaches are fixated on "out smarting" the defense they end up out smarting their own players.

Simplify the system. Don't worry about looking clever or cute or even winning the game. Everything on that side of the ball should be about getting Zach confidence reps. This is basically what the Pats are doing now.

One thing I noticed more on Sunday (maybe I was just paying attention more as I was there rather than watching on a screen) is that there seemed to be a lot going on pre snap. Some plays had like three pre-snap motions and shifts and resets ... I did wonder if that is causing too much processing for Zach so that by the time the ball is snapped he's already lost as he's trying to compute too much. Computation overrides instinct. You can do that when Matt Ryan is your QB, who has so much experience that he can do that stuff in his sleep, but I doubt Wilson was doing that back in college. (I could be wrong :-) ).

I get that that's the system they want to run, but sometimes you have to say that that's the end goal, how do we get there gradually. Walk before you run, it's a marathon not a sprint, all those good clichés. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

+100  I gotta watch Corey Davis's mastery of the route tree while going 2-15?  I want to see Wilson draw up a hook and lateral to Mims in  next game

Exactly.  If we’re gonna suck at least try to be entertaining.  I know that runs counter to how NFL teams are supposed to be run but F this brand of sh*ttiness we’ve been dealing with for over a decade.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Probably but Peyton threw 28 TD's in his rookie year and won ROY. 

It was a totally different game then.  Herbert just put up 31/10 as a rookie even while playing behind the # 32-ranked OL.  Burrow, before getting hurt, was at 13/5 thru 10 games, plus 3 rushing TDs.

Hell, even a mostly underwhelming (when evaluating his career in total) Baker Mayfield went for 27/14 as a rookie.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  If we’re gonna suck at least try to be entertaining.  I know that runs counter to how NFL teams are supposed to be run but F this brand of sh*ttiness we’ve been dealing with for over a decade.

When both your QB and your most athletic weapon are struggling with the system maybe the system needs to be simplified.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It was a totally different game then.  Herbert just put up 31/10 as a rookie even while playing behind the # 32-ranked OL.  Burrow, before getting hurt, was at 13/5 thru 10 games, plus 3 rushing TDs.

Hell, even a mostly underwhelming (when evaluating his career in total) Baker Mayfield went for 27/14 as a rookie.  

Used to say this about Rex -- Saleh may not have an offensive background but he is the boss. He needs to sit down with LaFleur and set some KPIs. For example, "I want you to create a game plan next week that focuses on completion percentage. Let's get Zach some confidence."

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, longsuffering88 said:

Love Zach

love his desire to not sit back

Love the forum bravado supporting his flawed logic

but after his 3rd stupid pick in the Pats game this board will melt down 

just speaking truth 

I'm not so sure, at this point the INT's make me laugh and my bro and I have an over/under bet each week. We will probably keep the O/U the same as last Pat's game at 2 INT's. I'm thinking I better take the over, I've lost the bet 3 of 4 weeks so far lol. 

It's just growing pains, let him rip it and learn. 

I just watched the tape backwards.   Zach is going to an Indian sweat lodge in Utah and doing mushrooms with Shaman Don Juan Matus for 4 days. Lefleur was brought here by el Diablo to inject his SOJ JuJu on Zach.  The SOJ is powerful in this Jets OC.  

not much to say that hasn't already been said.  wilson needs to stop rushing throws.  this doesn't mean throwing too fast but not getting set when he decides to throws.  too many come with his feet pointing the wrong way or using only his arm.  and he's got a great arm but that's only one part of throwing.  his whole body needs to work in unison.

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Backtracking? No

Wigging out? No

Can you get anything right?  Something crawl up your ass this morning? 

It's a pity your son is taking a break from the board. I can't wait to see what unhinged delights we are about to be exposed to.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So youre saying Wilson, based on 5 games, will go 7 td's/45 int's.  2022 lets go!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

He’s like the old man yelling at clouds. 
For as long as he’s been posting here and on JI, can anyone remember him ever using the phrase “I agree…”?

Old man yelling at clouds and when it rains he thinks they are pissing back at him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3