LEASH IS OFF!!!! Wilson to RIP IT for rest of season

1 hour ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

New York Jets QB Zach Wilson says he's 'overthinking' throws, needs to 'rip it' over final 12 games

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets rookie Zach Wilson, who leads the NFL with nine interceptions, vows to take a let-'er-rip mentality into the final 12 games of the season.

Wilson has used his powerful right arm to make highlight-film throws downfield, but he's struggling with short passes because he's not playing instinctively.

"I would just say I'm overthinking them," he said Tuesday on a videoconference call with reporters. "I would just say, to an extent, I'm aiming the throw rather than just throwing it, like I've always done my whole life." 

Wilson said he's so consumed with learning new things that it's causing him to be "a little robotic, and I think sometimes that's how those throws come out. I'm aiming them. I just have to throw it and rip it."

In Sunday's 27-20 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, Wilson misfired on a handful of shorter throws, including two screen passes. He struggled throughout the game, especially in the first quarter, as the Jets dropped to 1-4 at their bye week.

The Jets return to action Oct. 24 against the New England Patriots (2-3) on the road. Except for a dazzling second half in the Jets' Week 4 overtime win over the Tennessee Titans, Wilson's rookie year has fallen short of expectations. His Total QBR is only 23.9, which ranks him 31st out of 32 qualified passers.

Wilson, drafted second overall, insisted there's nothing wrong with his mechanics, but he has completed only 61% of his passes that travel 10 air yards or less -- 27th in the league, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

On Monday, coach Robert Saleh took a positive approach, noting how Buffalo Bills star Josh Allen struggled in his first five starts as a rookie in 2018. He noted that Allen's stats were "damn near identical to what our young kid is going through."

Wilson appreciated the vote of confidence, but he's not looking for ways to justify his slow start.

"I don't want to feel like I have to make an excuse for myself of why I'm not getting the job done," he said. "I understand that, and I understand it's a process and having perspective, but I have also a high expectation for myself and my ability to make plays and all that different kind of things."

The Jets have little choice but to stick with Wilson because their top backup, Mike White, has no regular-season experience. They're rebuilding, and the organization is willing to ride out the bumps with the former BYU star.

"Everybody believes in him," center Connor McGovern said.

Wilson, planning to return home to Utah over the four-day break, said he will use the down time to study tape and consult with his personal coach, former NFL quarterback John Beck.

"I'm going to go watch the first five games of this season, see what things I really want to put an emphasis on and how I can just clear my mind," he said. "I'll spend a little time with the family and then be ready to come back and get after it this next week."

I like! Accountability and telling LaFleur to go Fücköff! 

Yard ball from here on out :-) ?

Actions these just words I believe it when I see it.

• Thumb Down 1

I hope Becton comes back correct.  Our run game is a huge strain on Zach.  If we could get some chunk runs behind Becton and AVT it’d make a world of difference and take pressure off Zach.  

I’m also hoping we keep Moses at RT and bench Fant with eyes on the future in resigning Moses.  Fant is significantly better at LT, adequate in pass blocking and bad at run blocking.  There’s no way we keep his $11 mill salary next year.  Moses is better on the right side, if you bench him when Mekhi comes back this increases the chances Moses walks in 2022.   

In a perfect world we resign Moses to a two year deal and renegotiate Fant down to top backup swing tackle money. However I think Fant balks at this as teams like the Jaguars would love to have his simple adequacy at protecting their young QB’s blind side at LT.

Draft two OL with our first two picks.  Get a run game and unleash Zach. 

I have a good feeling about Zach.  He voices awareness of all his issues and will methodically improve them. Kid says all the perfect things, has all the talent in the world.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

f it. if we are gona suck we should go  down throwing bombs ints or tds.

+100  I gotta watch Corey Davis's mastery of the route tree while going 2-15?  I want to see Wilson draw up a hook and lateral to Mims in  next game

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe I'm reading into it but it sure does sound like he's basically saying I have to figure this on my own and not really being told the right thing.

Well if what's happening here is solely in Zach's head then Zach is the only person who can fix this. He's trying to go 100 mph and to me that means, and this may sound funny, but the game has not yet slowed down for him yet. Not completing screens and 5 yards passes is definitely something in his head and when you watch those plays you can obviously see him rushing himself when he really does not have too. He has good mechanics but on those particular plays his mechanics fly out the window and he's becoming Sam Darnold and we don't want that.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I hope Becton comes back correct.  Our run game is a huge strain on Zach.  If we could get some chunk runs behind Becton and AVT it’d make a world of difference and take pressure off Zach.  

I’m also hoping we keep Moses at RT and bench Fant with eyes on the future in resigning Moses.  Fant is significantly better at LT, adequate in pass blocking and bad at run blocking.  There’s no way we keep his $11 mill salary next year.  Moses is better on the right side, if you bench him when Mekhi comes back this increases the chances Moses walks in 2022.   

In a perfect world we resign Moses to a two year deal and renegotiate Fant down to top backup swing tackle money. However I think Fant balks at this as teams like the Jaguars would love to have his simple adequacy at protecting their young QB’s blind side at LT.

Draft two OL with our first two picks.  Get a run game and unleash Zach. 

I have a good feeling about Zach.  He voices awareness of all his issues and will methodically improve them. Kid says all the perfect things, has all the talent in the world.

I’d be fine moving on from Fant if Becton wasn’t marshmallow fluff. He’s only good for a few games a year. Gonna need a solid back up LT around. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Cool. Please rip it with your right foot on the ground lol

Spin it Zach. Spin it.

Oh - stop With your feet in the air and your head on the ground Try this trick and spin it, yeah Your head will collapse But there's nothing in it And you'll ask yourself Where is my mind [3x] Way out in the water See it swimmin' I was swimmin' in the Caribbean Animals were hiding behind the rocks Except the little fish But they told me, he swears Tryin' to talk to me, coy koi. Where is my mind [3x] Way out in the water See it swimmin' ? With your feet in the air and your head on the ground Try this trick and spin it, yeah Your head will collapse If there's nothing in it And you'll ask yourself Where is my mind [3x] Oh With your feet in the air and your head on the ground Oh Try this trick and spin it, yeah Oh Oh

• Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Spin it Zach. Spin it.

Oh - stop With your feet in the air and your head on the ground Try this trick and spin it, yeah Your head will collapse But there's nothing in it And you'll ask yourself Where is my mind [3x] Way out in the water See it swimmin' I was swimmin' in the Caribbean Animals were hiding behind the rocks Except the little fish But they told me, he swears Tryin' to talk to me, coy koi. Where is my mind [3x] Way out in the water See it swimmin' ? With your feet in the air and your head on the ground Try this trick and spin it, yeah Your head will collapse If there's nothing in it And you'll ask yourself Where is my mind [3x] Oh With your feet in the air and your head on the ground Oh Try this trick and spin it, yeah Oh Oh

Thank you for posting this song. For some reason this particular song was the soundtrack of my early 20s sex life while owning a bar in NYC near Barnard and Columbia U. Oh the memories and sensations of yesteryear! Lol thanks!

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Randy Moss won ROY in 98, right? 

My bad. It was Barry Sanders. But Peyton had quite the year. Be great if Zach could bounce and have a year like this.

1998 season: Rookie season

Despite concerns about his arm strength and mobility,[80] Manning was selected first overall in the 1998 NFL Draft by the Indianapolis Colts. Although many considered Washington State quarterback Ryan Leaf to be his rival for the first selection in the draft, as Leaf had a higher quarterback rating, all six experts Sports Illustrated consulted believed that Manning was superior. Five said that they would take him first in the draft; Sid Gillman said about Manning, "this is a pro quarterback."

In Manning's rookie season he threw 3,739 yards and 26 touchdowns, set five different NFL rookie records including most touchdown passes in a season, most interceptions (28) in a rookie year, and was named to the NFL All-Rookie First Team. In his NFL debut, Manning was 21-of-37 for 302 passing yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions. He threw his first career touchdown, a six-yard pass to Marvin Harrison, in the fourth quarter of the 24–15 loss to the Miami Dolphins. Manning's first win came against fellow rookie Leaf, 17–12 over the San Diego Chargers in Week 5.Two weeks later, Manning faced off against Steve Young; he threw three touchdowns, tying a Colts rookie record, but the 49ers kicked a late field goal to win 34–31. In November against the New York Jets, Manning threw three touchdowns in a 24–23 win; he was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for this performance. It was the first game-winning drive of Manning's career, as he threw the game-winning touchdown pass to Marcus Pollard. Manning was certainly a bright spot in the 1998 season for the Colts with 3,739 passing yards and 26 passing touchdowns, but he also threw a league high 28 interceptions as the team struggled to a 3–13 record with a defense that gave up more than 27 points per game.  The Colts lost many close games, including five games in which they led by double digits at some point.

2 hours ago, Action Zachtion said:

Lol.   I just watched this "media availability' an hour ago on YouTube.  Watching it had a totally different vibe than reading it in the article.  

The article did have a "I just gotta be me and let it fly" vibe using the same quotes. 

I did not get that watching it.  

Yeah not at all. Some liberty was taken with Wilson's quotes to infer things he clearly didn't infer after watching it.

The last thing it was was any sort of "Ima do it my way" dig at LaFleur; not even a little bit. At the 2-3 min mark in the video he's going on about how much LaFleur & Cavanaugh are working on his footwork with him, every practice all day long. 

So on the one hand it means he's not picking it up so fast once the games are underway. He's clearly thinking too much out there, and that stuff should slow down for him with time as good habits (hopefully) become second nature. I don't know that live games are the ideal time to develop muscle memory with one's footwork, but it's the path the team has chosen for him so here's to hoping he just needed to take those early lumps and learns from those, too.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

New York Jets QB Zach Wilson says he's 'overthinking' throws, needs to 'rip it' over final 12 games

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets rookie Zach Wilson, who leads the NFL with nine interceptions, vows to take a let-'er-rip mentality into the final 12 games of the season.

Wilson has used his powerful right arm to make highlight-film throws downfield, but he's struggling with short passes because he's not playing instinctively.

"I would just say I'm overthinking them," he said Tuesday on a videoconference call with reporters. "I would just say, to an extent, I'm aiming the throw rather than just throwing it, like I've always done my whole life." 

Wilson said he's so consumed with learning new things that it's causing him to be "a little robotic, and I think sometimes that's how those throws come out. I'm aiming them. I just have to throw it and rip it."

In Sunday's 27-20 loss to the Atlanta Falcons, Wilson misfired on a handful of shorter throws, including two screen passes. He struggled throughout the game, especially in the first quarter, as the Jets dropped to 1-4 at their bye week.

The Jets return to action Oct. 24 against the New England Patriots (2-3) on the road. Except for a dazzling second half in the Jets' Week 4 overtime win over the Tennessee Titans, Wilson's rookie year has fallen short of expectations. His Total QBR is only 23.9, which ranks him 31st out of 32 qualified passers.

Wilson, drafted second overall, insisted there's nothing wrong with his mechanics, but he has completed only 61% of his passes that travel 10 air yards or less -- 27th in the league, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

On Monday, coach Robert Saleh took a positive approach, noting how Buffalo Bills star Josh Allen struggled in his first five starts as a rookie in 2018. He noted that Allen's stats were "damn near identical to what our young kid is going through."

Wilson appreciated the vote of confidence, but he's not looking for ways to justify his slow start.

"I don't want to feel like I have to make an excuse for myself of why I'm not getting the job done," he said. "I understand that, and I understand it's a process and having perspective, but I have also a high expectation for myself and my ability to make plays and all that different kind of things."

The Jets have little choice but to stick with Wilson because their top backup, Mike White, has no regular-season experience. They're rebuilding, and the organization is willing to ride out the bumps with the former BYU star.

"Everybody believes in him," center Connor McGovern said.

Wilson, planning to return home to Utah over the four-day break, said he will use the down time to study tape and consult with his personal coach, former NFL quarterback John Beck.

"I'm going to go watch the first five games of this season, see what things I really want to put an emphasis on and how I can just clear my mind," he said. "I'll spend a little time with the family and then be ready to come back and get after it this next week."

I like! Accountability and telling LaFleur to go Fücköff! 

Yard ball from here on out :-) ?

i totally forgot about his personal QB coach. we probably should have hired him to be here. then again he probably doesn't want to come to NY. hes probably got a nice quiet life in Utah.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, longsuffering88 said:

Love Zach

love his desire to not sit back

Love the forum bravado supporting his flawed logic

but after his 3rd stupid pick in the Pats game this board will melt down 

just speaking truth 

this game will be interesting. 

will Bill get him to melt down again or has he learned from his last game against him.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I also think the idea of throwing the whole playbook at him may have been a mistake.

They said most rookies don't take on the whole playbook early, but ZW was up to it.  Maybe he wasn't.  

It really does seem like there's so much going on his head and he's just spending too much time thinking - instead of just playing football.

Throwing that playbook in a firepit would be best.

• Haha 2