Report: Deshaun Watson to Miami trade in the works

Rhg1084

55 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

A good Shane joke is always funny, still, I don't want to make light of the fact that, so often, people make this accusation of women - they're just in it for the money, they have no integrity, because things go civil and/or there's a settlement.  The fact is, it's a virtual certainty that these women don't have physical evidence of these crimes, and therefore, would lose in a court of law, and so they're rightly advised to seek whatever justice they can get.  The problem, as in the post I quoted, is when people conflate "innocent" in the legal sense, to "innocent" in the 'didn't do it' sense.  "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't mean that the person didn't do it... Worth remembering before attacking the victim.

Even more important is the stories are corroborated by other women who are not seeking settlements, fame or criminal charges. The NFL really does want to ignore it though.

5 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Offer them Wilson, and our two 1sts..

And just like that we have a top 5 QB.....he wont face criminal charges and it will get settled civilly

By 2022 this will be an old story

Do it  

He has a no trade clause. The only way he waives it is if he this is that means he can wave it over his bunghole to show his distaste for the jets. 

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, but it's unlikely ever to go to trial.  He'll pay everyone off under an NDA and they'll be a full-court ESPN push to make him out to be a saint...and it'll all be over.  Very sad.

Unless he gets criminally indicted, but that seems pretty unlikely at this point.

Only takes 1 to refuse the pay off. Remember civil cases are just a majority vote. If it was 1 or 2, sure that would be likely to happen but with 22 we could see a trial.

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Only takes 1 to refuse the pay off. Remember civil cases are just a majority vote. If it was 1 or 2, sure that would be likely to happen but with 22 we could see a trial.

Buzbee recently circled back with a settlement that Hardin refused because Buzbee wanted to keep the amount of the settlement under wraps. Watson’s people are daring them to bring it to court, likely for the reasons that @ZachEY laid out earlier. It would appear that there’s an amount of money Watson (or his acquiring team) could pay to negate a large part of the legal peril he’s in, which is why conversations about trading for him are even happening in the first place. I know @Doggin94it laid out the reasons that Watson is still in deep sh*t earlier this summer. I wonder what, if anything, he sees as having changed. 

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah, you're right.

I just wonder, how could a team possibly part with such a haul with this much uncertainty?

They must know something...and/or ESPN and The Comish have assured the Dolphins/Panthers that they're going to give him a full pardon via a massive positive media push.

But even then - is there really not going to be a push back from the fan base, Twitter etc? 

This whole thing is weird to me...

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, you're right.

I just wonder, how could a team possibly part with such a haul with this much uncertainty?

They must know something...and/or ESPN and The Comish have assured the Dolphins/Panthers that they're going to give him a full pardon via a massive positive media push.

But even then - is there really not going to be a push back from the fan base, Twitter etc? 

This whole thing is weird to me...

I cant imagine how Goodell could pull off no suspension never mind the legal authorities. Ben got 6 games for his accused rape. This guy faces up to 22. I simply don't see a trade happening.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I cant imagine how Goodell could pull off no suspension never mind the legal authorities. Ben got 6 games for his accused rape. This guy faces up to 22. I simply don't see a trade happening.

Suspension isn't the issue.  They can live with a suspension.  When I say Pardon I mean, sure he'll offer the obligatory apology (without accepting guilt) and then ESPN and the NFL will let it go and not mention it again....So by next season it'll be all over.  

Gets suspended the rest of this year, does the big interview and then by next Sept. it's all forgotten.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is all such BS.  How could they possibly agree to terms with 22 civil sexual assault accusations and a criminal investigation hanging out there.  

How could they possibly expect to have clarity one week from tomorrow?

Something shady is going on...

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

This is all such BS.  How could they possibly agree to terms with 22 civil sexual assault accusations and a criminal investigation hanging out there.  

Aren’t all but one of the accusers represented by Buzbee? The one holdout (“Mary” from the Vrentas piece) claimed she refused to join the Buzbee suit because the contract gave him absolute power to speak for every one of those accusers, iirc, so it’s likely not actually 22 individual negotiations. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Aren’t all but one of the accusers represented by Buzbee? The one holdout (“Mary” from the Vrentas piece) claimed she refused to join the Buzbee suit because the contract gave him absolute power to speak for every one of those accusers, iirc, so it’s likely not actually 22 individual negotiations. 

Thank you.  I wasn't aware of that.  Obviously then they must know this will all be done soon.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Thank you.  I wasn't aware of that.  Obviously then they must know this will all be done soon.

Lots of grossness, but he’s going to be a Dolphin next week and he’ll be suspended for six (whittled down to four) games. Such is the league of Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The NFL interviewed at least ten of the accusers already and this is Roger saying the league didn’t find their testimony compelling enough to assert even the minimum punishment upon Watson.

Just went to Reddit...they had a series of these, but just this one alone...I don't know how accurate Reddit is on this...but it's surely concerning that a guy like this, in todays world, is going to get traded for a massive haul and get paid well over $100mm...

JANE DOE 2

First contact: August 14th, 2020

Allegations: August 28th, 2020

Credentials: Unlicensed Masseuse

Summary:

The woman is an unlicensed masseuse in Atlanta who says she plans on taking classes to get her massage therapy license. Watson contacted her on Instagram last August and agreed to pay for her flight to Houston. 

They met at the Houstonian Hotel where he had a suite. The lawsuit alleges Watson refused to cover his penis with a towel, repeatedly encouraged her to massage there and kept aggressively redirecting her hands towards his anus.

Watson eventually got specific and said he wanted her to work on his inner anus. Plaintiff ignored this request because it was odd.

After again refusing to cover himself, plaintiff ended the massage and said she needed to leave. Watson then grabbed her arm and said, "it is ok, it is ok". Plaintiff said she needed to catch her plane and left.

She said Watson only paid half of what she was owed and later contacted her about getting a massage in Atlanta, but she didn’t respond.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The fins owner wants Watson's lawyers to pay off the accusers as part of a settlement is my guess.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Scumbag league run by a scumbag to protect and enable wealthy owner scumbags

Just look at the crap people get away with in this country and otheres proscuted for nothing. Sounds like it's a done deal. Scumbag commisioner approves deal of scumbag to scumbag owner.  Are you ready for some football.!!!!

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Even more important is the stories are corroborated by other women who are not seeking settlements, fame or criminal charges. The NFL really does want to ignore it though.

I mean, yes.  This all definitely happened.  I only entered the discussion when the victim blaming happened.

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The NFL interviewed at least ten of the accusers already and this is Roger saying the league didn’t find their testimony compelling enough to assert even the minimum punishment upon Watson.

It’s a good thing they no longer burn suspected witches at the stake. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It’s a good thing they no longer burn suspected witches at the stake. 

Have the witness transcripts been disclosed yet?  And we shouldn't call it testimony, because the interviews were not conducted under oath.  It was just interviews.  I'd like to see for myself exactly what was said.  And the NFL better hope that Watson settles if they want to keep such disclosures away from the public. 

• Upvote 1

I like Wilson and I’m a fan of his game, but the Jets will rue the day they didn’t roll the dice on Watson and let him go to Miami. We had the ammo and it’s been proven time and time again that this franchise cannot draft or develop quarterbacks.

He was right there and if he goes to Miami he will light us the **** up twice this season

Just now, BigRy56 said:

I like Wilson and I’m a fan of his game, but the Jets will rue the day they didn’t roll the dice on Watson and let him go to Miami. We had the ammo and it’s been proven time and time again that this franchise cannot draft or develop quarterbacks.

He was right there and if he goes to Miami he will light us the **** up twice this season

I’m not sure how any owner can OK a deal for Watson at this point. He could still be indicted and is facing 20+ civil suits for sexual abuse of women. He is a PR nightmare in the making an billionaire owners are typically risk averse. 

39 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Have the witness transcripts been disclosed yet?  And we shouldn't call it testimony, because the interviews were not conducted under oath.  It was just interviews.  I'd like to see for myself exactly what was said.  And the NFL better hope that Watson settles if they want to keep such disclosures away from the public. 

I should clarify that the NFL interviewed at least ten accusers and thinks they can manage the fallout from anything that was revealed in those interviews

• Upvote 1