Report: Deshaun Watson to Miami trade in the works

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, DrFrasierCrane said:

I’m not sure how any owner can OK a deal for Watson at this point. He could still be indicted and is facing 20+ civil suits for sexual abuse of women. He is a PR nightmare in the making an billionaire owners are typically risk averse. 

I agree it would be a bad PR nightmare, but there’s players all over the league who have done bad things in their past.

Joe Mixon was a PR nightmare - now he’s a pro bowl RB that will run for 150 yards on us next week and nobody talks about his past. Same with Big Ben who won 2 Super Bowls. Times may be different now but we’ll hit 2023, Watson will still be a franchise QB in his 20s, and everybody will have forgotten about this. It’s sad but true

• Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, ZachEY said:

A good Shane joke is always funny, still, I don't want to make light of the fact that, so often, people make this accusation of women - they're just in it for the money, they have no integrity, because things go civil and/or there's a settlement.  The fact is, it's a virtual certainty that these women don't have physical evidence of these crimes, and therefore, would lose in a court of law, and so they're rightly advised to seek whatever justice they can get.  The problem, as in the post I quoted, is when people conflate "innocent" in the legal sense, to "innocent" in the 'didn't do it' sense.  "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't mean that the person didn't do it... Worth remembering before attacking the victim.

Agree 100%

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I agree it would be a bad PR nightmare, but there’s players all over the league who have done bad things in their past.

Joe Mixon was a PR nightmare - now he’s a pro bowl RB that will run for 150 yards on us next week and nobody talks about his past. Same with Big Ben who won 2 Super Bowls. Times may be different now but we’ll hit 2023, Watson will still be a franchise QB in his 20s, and everybody will have forgotten about this. It’s sad but true

Watson will absolutely play again (look at Vick), but acquiring him right now is far too risky without knowing how this will play out in the courts. At this point nobody knows what the fallout will be and what kind of stuff will leak. 

I love baseball but I can't watch it anymore unless it's on a dvr.  The game got too slow.  Batters step out after every pitch to fix their makeup or whatever they do.

And Alex Cora, when the Red Sox were struggling in September berated his players for playing too fast. 

"That’s the beauty of this game, there’s not a clock. You can slow it down as long as you want to, work counts, grind at-bats, put pressure on the opposition. "  

What about us fans with day jobs who have to watch the grind, Alex?

• Upvote 2

The NFL doesn't want the scandal and doesn't want to punish one of its stars because that's only going to add attention to the situation. The best thing it can do right now from its own perspective is gather information and say it is continuing to investigate while waiting to see how civil claims and any criminal charges play out. If everything goes away quietly then the NFL can point and say everybody outside the NFL investigated and found no case to pursue. If Watson eats it in either a criminal or civil suit then the NFL can always go behind and engage in disciplinary proceedings. The NFL is not going to proactively or unilaterally prosecute players unless it has no choice because it does not want to volunteer bad publicity to itself. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Watson won’t waive his no trade clause for Carolina. I would guess he doesn’t want to go from Easterby to Rhule, with the way they push religion in the work place. Plus, Florida taxes.

And don't forget South Beach where Watson can have massage therapists play tag with his skin flute.

• Upvote 1

while deshaun watson is a great QB - he hasn't lifted houston to greatness- with arguably the best WR in the game his first 3 years.  he'll be going to a similar situation, with lesser weapons and have depleted their draft capital - a team that currently is picking 2nd, a pick that is going to philadelphia.  while i'm sure watson will still put up stats but i don't think he's going to make miami into something amazing.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, dcJet said:

A lot of older guys I know feel that way.  They complained about the kneeling and the new rules and bragged they took their Ravens flags down and stopped watching.

But these guys sure know a lot about the last game when it's brought up on Monday morning.

That's cuz we're f*cked in the head, junior.

10 minutes ago, heymangold said:

while deshaun watson is a great QB - he hasn't lifted houston to greatness- with arguably the best WR in the game his first 3 years.  he'll be going to a similar situation, with lesser weapons and have depleted their draft capital - a team that currently is picking 2nd, a pick that is going to philadelphia.  while i'm sure watson will still put up stats but i don't think he's going to make miami into something amazing.

wha?  They were 3-3 his rookie season, ended up going 4-12.  They proceed to win the division 2 straight years in a row and won a playoff game (literally on the back of Watson's shoulders) all before they lost their mind and decimated the team, to which he responded with his best year of his career and a trade demand. lol

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

wha?  They were 3-3 his rookie season, ended up going 4-12.  They proceed to win the division 2 straight years in a row and won a playoff game (literally on the back of Watson's shoulders) all before they lost their mind and decimated the team, to which he responded with his best year of his career and a trade demand. lol

and? he'd be going to another decimated team is what my main point is. a team without a 1st round pick for the next however many they have to give up.  the AFC south was a laughing stock also.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:59 PM, bla bla bla said:

He just got his contract last year. Why would he get a new deal? 

Yeah, if he pushes for a new deal that would be mind-numbingly dumb. He should be counting his lucky stars he's going somewhere with an owner willing to play him...

Side note: I think the Texans have shelved him, not the NFL. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

and? he'd be going to another decimated team is what my main point is. a team without a 1st round pick for the next however many they have to give up.  the AFC south was a laughing stock also.

What do you mean, and?  lol

You just said, he didnt lift Houston and I simply pointed out, he absolutely lifted Houston.  Maybe not to "greatness" like you claimed but that's subjective.  They won the division 2 years in a row and won a playoff game, they were trending the right way 100% because of Watson.  That dude would literally win games in spite of O'Brien's stupidity and then O'Brien's stupidity cost him his job. 

If you dont think Miami is going to be better with Watson, well, sorry, you're going to be disappointed in that prediction. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Watson won’t waive his no trade clause for Carolina. I would guess he doesn’t want to go from Easterby to Rhule, with the way they push religion in the work place. Plus, Florida taxes.

if he won't waive the trade clause - i tell him to start playing and if he refuses don't pay him anymore.

2 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Am I the only one basking from the warm glow that is the Miami dumpster fire?

Watson is like screw Miami, I'll do the time.

Yes, it's marvelous and I love rubbing it in the face of my bff and my father-in-law who are both Fin fans.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

At 1-7 it made no sense for Miami to bring him in now, especailly with the legal issues hanging over his head.  They still can try to acquire him in March -- when more may be known about his legal situation and potential league discipline.