Jump to content

Is Sam Darnold officially a bust?


1010WINS
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, football guy said:

From one perspective I’m glad he’s playing like sh*t because it means better draft picks, from another I do feel for the guy. There’s a clear correlation between pass rush win rate and Sam’s cratering efficiency. As the Panthers’ offensive line has fallen back to earth, so has Darnold. 

Yes, he’s a bust, but still think he can be a productive QB in the right situation. 

fence GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Some people think drinking milk is racist... intent is important... people can make honest mistakes. The person who first used the term "mutt" expressed confusion at the allegation they used it in a racist way... we should give them the benefit of the doubt... I didn't even realize Robby was bi-racial until this thread...

I agree.  But its getting too confusing.  A mutt is a dog of mixed breeds, I can see how you can extend that but come on.  I always remember that its use was extended, by friends who were of mixed ancestry, not race.  Ask someone what their ancestry was and they'd tell you that they were mutts, their father was Irish/German and mother Polish/Jewish.  Now its a thing to some.  Every descriptive term doesnt have to be twisted into something with a negative connotation and therefore racist.  

I've seen Robbys mom interviewed and knew that she was white.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I agree.  But its getting too confusing.  A mutt is a dog of mixed breeds, I can see how you can extend that but come on.  I always remember that its use was extended, by friends who were of mixed ancestry, not race.  Ask someone what their ancestry was and they'd tell you that they were mutts, their father was Irish/German and mother Polish/Jewish.  Now its a thing to some.  Every descriptive term doesnt have to be twisted into something with a negative connotation and therefore racist.  

I've seen Robbys mom interviewed and knew that she was white.  

It's what's in the heart that matters, not what's on the tongue. Pretty obvious there was no ill intent here.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's what's in the heart that matters, not what's on the tongue. Pretty obvious there was no ill intent here.

Hes seeing it though.  He seems to think the definition has changed or can because some list says it has.  But Meridians still has mutt defined as I had posted, without the racial changes to definition:

mutt

 noun

 
\ ˈmət   \

Definition of mutt

1: a stupid or insignificant person : FOOL
2: a mongrel dog : CUR
 
Dictionary. com:

mutt

or mut

[ muht ]SHOW IP

mutt

or mut

[ muht ]SHOW IPA
📙 Middle School Level

noun Slang.
a dog, especially a mongrel.
a stupid or foolish person; simpleton.
📙 Middle School Level

noun Slang.
a dog, especially a mongrel.
a stupid or foolish person; simpleton.
 
 
 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need to know this:  Did Darnold really cry during the game yesterday?

And, wow, Matt Ruhel laid it out in his postgame comments.

RE: Was Sam Darnold's lack of practice reps this week a contributing factor?

He would have to say. He got reps on Thursday. He got reps on Saturday. At the end of the day, I think that I don't want to lay things on one person but we just can't continue to keep throwing the ball up. We have to protect the football. If you have an interception, if it's a third down interception, that's one thing. A first or second down interception, can't happen....

RE: Does Sam Darnold still give you the best opportunity to win?

I'll watch the tape before I make some big statement. To be quite honest, I want to make sure I see everything and consider all factors. I know Sam prepared hard. I thought he went out there I thought he showed toughness. He gritted to the end so I don't want to lay anything at his feet. We can't have a quarterback throwing the ball up in the air. He knows that. I know that. Whether we have to get with the coaches and figure out is it the coaching, is it him, what is it? We just can't keep doing this. But I have to see everything before I can probably answer that better tomorrow.

https://www.patriots.com/news/carolina-panthers-postgame-quotes-11-7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree.  But its getting too confusing.  A mutt is a dog of mixed breeds, I can see how you can extend that but come on.  I always remember that its use was extended, by friends who were of mixed ancestry, not race.  Ask someone what their ancestry was and they'd tell you that they were mutts, their father was Irish/German and mother Polish/Jewish.  Now its a thing to some.  Every descriptive term doesnt have to be twisted into something with a negative connotation and therefore racist.  

I've seen Robbys mom interviewed and knew that she was white.  

BIll Maher has a recent good segment on people changing the meaning of words.  People need a dictionary.  

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I need to know this:  Did Darnold really cry during the game yesterday?

And, wow, Matt Ruhel laid it out in his postgame comments.

RE: Was Sam Darnold's lack of practice reps this week a contributing factor?

He would have to say. He got reps on Thursday. He got reps on Saturday. At the end of the day, I think that I don't want to lay things on one person but we just can't continue to keep throwing the ball up. We have to protect the football. If you have an interception, if it's a third down interception, that's one thing. A first or second down interception, can't happen....

RE: Does Sam Darnold still give you the best opportunity to win?

I'll watch the tape before I make some big statement. To be quite honest, I want to make sure I see everything and consider all factors. I know Sam prepared hard. I thought he went out there I thought he showed toughness. He gritted to the end so I don't want to lay anything at his feet. We can't have a quarterback throwing the ball up in the air. He knows that. I know that. Whether we have to get with the coaches and figure out is it the coaching, is it him, what is it? We just can't keep doing this. But I have to see everything before I can probably answer that better tomorrow.

https://www.patriots.com/news/carolina-panthers-postgame-quotes-11-7

Rhule knows he can't play Darnold anymore. Running him out there again you risk losing the locker room.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need to know this:  Did Darnold really cry during the game yesterday?
And, wow, Matt Ruhel laid it out in his postgame comments.
RE: Was Sam Darnold's lack of practice reps this week a contributing factor?
He would have to say. He got reps on Thursday. He got reps on Saturday. At the end of the day, I think that I don't want to lay things on one person but we just can't continue to keep throwing the ball up. We have to protect the football. If you have an interception, if it's a third down interception, that's one thing. A first or second down interception, can't happen....
RE: Does Sam Darnold still give you the best opportunity to win?
I'll watch the tape before I make some big statement. To be quite honest, I want to make sure I see everything and consider all factors. I know Sam prepared hard. I thought he went out there I thought he showed toughness. He gritted to the end so I don't want to lay anything at his feet. We can't have a quarterback throwing the ball up in the air. He knows that. I know that. Whether we have to get with the coaches and figure out is it the coaching, is it him, what is it? We just can't keep doing this. But I have to see everything before I can probably answer that better tomorrow.
https://www.patriots.com/news/carolina-panthers-postgame-quotes-11-7


“We can't have a quarterback throwing the ball up in the air.” Isn’t that the QBs job? LOL!


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Ah yes, I am sure you "accidentally" used a racial term against mixed race people to describe a mixed race player.

 

I'm sure you just didnt know.

you know nothing. You think you do. But you don’t. 
 

I changed the post because offending people is not what I come to message boards to do 

And judging by your follow up and just assumptions everywhere, realize having a conversation about any of it is point less 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

you know nothing. You think you do. But you don’t. 
 

I changed the post because offending people is not what I come to message boards to do 

And judging by your follow up and just assumptions everywhere, realize having a conversation about any of it is point less 

Maybe more suited in the JN Clubs thread.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Some people think drinking milk is racist... intent is important... people can make honest mistakes. The person who first used the term "mutt" expressed confusion at the allegation they used it in a racist way... we should give them the benefit of the doubt... I didn't even realize Robby was bi-racial until this thread...

I had no idea he was bi racial 

I also had no idea mutt was used as a term towards bi racial people 

Mutt was used a lot in my neighborhood growing up. Never had to do with a person ethnic or racial back ground 

comment was changed, but funny how people can just accuse people of things and that’s ok if it’s in the name of equality with no basis 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Some people think drinking milk is racist... intent is important... people can make honest mistakes. The person who first used the term "mutt" expressed confusion at the allegation they used it in a racist way... we should give them the benefit of the doubt... I didn't even realize Robby was bi-racial until this thread...

Agree with you entirely context matters.  However I personally find the term abhorrent when it's projected on human beings.    Gypsies and Jews who weren't able to emigrate to the US, South America, China or Israel were dragged off to concentration camps and died there because humans tried to classify human beings as if they were dogs.   The Eugenics movement was huge in both the USA and Europe before the WW2.   The Japanese treated Koreans and Chinese like dogs that weren't well bred and killed almost every American GI who they captured because of race and social values.  

Slave owners in the USA used to breed slaves to try and get charachteristics that improved their value in the fields.  

Dogs that are "Pure" breeds that come from "good" breeders are percieved as better than dogs from puppy mils.  Mutt's may be adorable, lovable and just as good as the best bred dogs in the world but you're not going to see them win the blue ribbon at the Westminster dog show.  When you carry that over to human beings there is historical perspective that gives weight to it being racist.  

Obviously we have free speech and people can say whatever they want.  It's still a reflection on who they are and who we are when they have no context.  Just giving you some context.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Agree with you entirely context matters.  However I personally find the term abhorrent when it's projected on human beings.    Gypsies and Jews who weren't able to emigrate to the US, South America, China or Israel were dragged off to concentration camps and died there because humans tried to classify human beings as if they were dogs.   The Eugenics movement was huge in both the USA and Europe before the WW2.   The Japanese treated Koreans and Chinese like dogs that weren't well bred and killed almost every American GI who they captured because of race and social values.  

Slave owners in the USA used to breed slaves to try and get charachteristics that improved their value in the fields.  

Dogs that are "Pure" breeds that come from "good" breeders are percieved as better than dogs from puppy mils.  Mutt's may be adorable, lovable and just as good as the best bred dogs in the world but you're not going to see them win the blue ribbon at the Westminster dog show.  When you carry that over to human beings there is historical perspective that gives weight to it being racist.  

Obviously we have free speech and people can say whatever they want.  It's still a reflection on who they are and who we are when they have no context.  Just giving you some context.  

The poster who said it may have been unkind but the leap to call him a racist is just a different form of slander imho.

After rapist and pedo it’s basically the worst thing you can accuse someone of in today’s society and you shouldn’t be reckless about it. At least ask if he realizes it’s a loaded term and give him a chance to respond first.

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jgb said:

The poster who said it may have been unkind but the leap to call him a racist is just a different form of slander imho.

After rapist and pedo it’s basically the worst thing you can accuse someone of and you shouldn’t be reckless about it.

I agree but don't discount when you throw terms like that around to describe people some people will rightfully be offended.  It's a two way street.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I had no idea he was bi racial 

I also had no idea mutt was used as a term towards bi racial people 

Mutt was used a lot in my neighborhood growing up. Never had to do with a person ethnic or racial back ground 

comment was changed, but funny how people can just accuse people of things and that’s ok if it’s in the name of equality with no basis 

Back in the 60s-70s, I grew up in a predominantly Italian neighborhood where the term mutt was used.  Back then, it was used to deride someone you didn't like.  Somewhere between jerk and scumbag.  

100% was not used in a racial context.  But now?  You young folks would need to educate me on its usage.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I need to know this:  Did Darnold really cry during the game yesterday?

And, wow, Matt Ruhel laid it out in his postgame comments.

RE: Was Sam Darnold's lack of practice reps this week a contributing factor?

He would have to say. He got reps on Thursday. He got reps on Saturday. At the end of the day, I think that I don't want to lay things on one person but we just can't continue to keep throwing the ball up. We have to protect the football. If you have an interception, if it's a third down interception, that's one thing. A first or second down interception, can't happen....

RE: Does Sam Darnold still give you the best opportunity to win?

I'll watch the tape before I make some big statement. To be quite honest, I want to make sure I see everything and consider all factors. I know Sam prepared hard. I thought he went out there I thought he showed toughness. He gritted to the end so I don't want to lay anything at his feet. We can't have a quarterback throwing the ball up in the air. He knows that. I know that. Whether we have to get with the coaches and figure out is it the coaching, is it him, what is it? We just can't keep doing this. But I have to see everything before I can probably answer that better tomorrow.

https://www.patriots.com/news/carolina-panthers-postgame-quotes-11-7

Agree darnold has been terrible. When does rhule take accountability? He is a major disappointment. Thankfully he rejected us. Sometimes we do get lucky

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Trotter said:

Agree darnold has been terrible. When does rhule take accountability? He is a major disappointment. Thankfully he rejected us. Sometimes we do get lucky

For a HC to come out that strongly on a QB's play is eye-opening.  I watched a clip of Ruhle's post game and you could tell he was annoyed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

As a kid I was called a mutt. I thought it meant lovable. Cause my dog was a mutt too. So I didn’t care that was thrown at me.  That beagle mix was badass. Times change.  Mutt. Is a negative term now. I personally still don’t care. 
 

 

sam is not good.  Neither is the word mutt. Unless your referencing your dog. That is all. 

Of course "mutt" is no good.   It also means "a stupid or incompetent person".    You know...like what I posted earlier. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

For a HC to come out that strongly on a QB's play is eye-opening.  I watched a clip of Ruhle's post game and you could tell he was annoyed.

Rhule has no one to blame other than himself.  Darnolds crappy footwork and decision making was on full display in all the tape Rhule looked at before trading for him.  He doubled down by taking the option on him for next year.  This is a year after signing Bridgewater to a pretty good multi-year deal and dumping him for Sam.  

Rhule seems to think all of Sams flaws were coaching and he could fix it.   Not sure what he's pissed about.  He owns it.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Hes seeing it though.  He seems to think the definition has changed or can because some list says it has.  But Meridians still has mutt defined as I had posted, without the racial changes to definition:

mutt

 noun

 
\ ˈmət   \

Definition of mutt

1: a stupid or insignificant person : FOOL
2: a mongrel dog : CUR
 
Dictionary. com:

mutt

or mut

[ muht ]SHOW IP

mutt

or mut

[ muht ]SHOW IPA
📙 Middle School Level

noun Slang.
a dog, especially a mongrel.
a stupid or foolish person; simpleton.
📙 Middle School Level

noun Slang.
a dog, especially a mongrel.
a stupid or foolish person; simpleton.
 
 
 

 

Like what I posted earlier. 

I don't like being preached to about a word that means JUST THAT.     Plus, I took Anthony's comment as him calling Robby a stupid or foolish person like the 2nd meaning says.

For anyone to basically call him a Racist(that's what the pearl-clutching nitwit in this thread is doing) is idiotic.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Rhule has no one to blame other than himself.  Darnolds crappy footwork and decision making was on full display in all the tape Rhule looked at before trading for him.  He doubled down by taking the option on him for next year.  This is a year after signing Bridgewater to a pretty good multi-year deal and dumping him for Sam.  

Rhule seems to think all of Sams flaws were coaching and he could fix it.   Not sure what he's pissed about.  He owns it.  

No doubt.  Ruhle's decision to snap up Darnold is a fireable offense.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Agree with you entirely context matters.  However I personally find the term abhorrent when it's projected on human beings.    Gypsies and Jews who weren't able to emigrate to the US, South America, China or Israel were dragged off to concentration camps and died there because humans tried to classify human beings as if they were dogs.   The Eugenics movement was huge in both the USA and Europe before the WW2.   The Japanese treated Koreans and Chinese like dogs that weren't well bred and killed almost every American GI who they captured because of race and social values.  

Slave owners in the USA used to breed slaves to try and get charachteristics that improved their value in the fields.  

Dogs that are "Pure" breeds that come from "good" breeders are percieved as better than dogs from puppy mils.  Mutt's may be adorable, lovable and just as good as the best bred dogs in the world but you're not going to see them win the blue ribbon at the Westminster dog show.  When you carry that over to human beings there is historical perspective that gives weight to it being racist.  

Obviously we have free speech and people can say whatever they want.  It's still a reflection on who they are and who we are when they have no context.  Just giving you some context.  

Tell me something :

All that you just said...

If @Anthony Jetsaid instead that Robby is a stupid and incompetent person(which is the 2nd meaning of the word "mutt" and what Anthony obviously meant) without using the term "mutt", would you still consider that racist? 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Vin said:

Tell me something :

All that you just said...

If @Anthony Jetsaid instead that Robby is a stupid and incompetent person(which is the 2nd meaning of the word "mutt" and what Anthony obviously meant) without using the term "mutt", would you still consider that racist? 

Stupid is way more generic than Mutt.  It universally covers all races, national orgins and religions.   Mutt is very specific to breeding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Stupid is way more generic than Mutt.  It universally covers all races, national orgins and religions.   Mutt is very specific to breeding.

Hey

You think it's possible to take youre little I'm offended talk to the DM portion of jetnation so the rest of us can talk football?

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Rhule is reminding me of bill o'Brien but probably making double or more his salary. How many years did they give him

How crazy is this?

Rhule carries with him a hefty reputation — and a heavy wallet. The second-year head coach signed a seven-year, $60 million contract with the Panthers in January 2020, leaving behind the college ranks to try and build an NFL program.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/matt-rhule-contract-panthers-coach/7o198l4ta2nd1er6nrj45j0wq

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

How crazy is this?

Rhule carries with him a hefty reputation — and a heavy wallet. The second-year head coach signed a seven-year, $60 million contract with the Panthers in January 2020, leaving behind the college ranks to try and build an NFL program.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/matt-rhule-contract-panthers-coach/7o198l4ta2nd1er6nrj45j0wq

Wow. Not our issue thank goodness.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...