Is Sam Darnold officially a bust?

1010WINS

6 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Josh Allen looked like a bust today. As a franchise QB - Yes at this point Sam is a bust. Now if Sam  would just play like Mike White he might have a chance to be decent. If Zach plays like Mike White he could be top 5 QB. Mike White is the new standard!

I’ve seen some low quality posts on here but they all look a little better after this one.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, CpSinceDay1 said:

Sad thing is I got ban for trying to warned people, I actually used this site as a reference point....and some still blame our Oline, OC, HC, and now the owner for hiring the guy who hire the guy that hire the guy to convince Rhule that trading for Sam was a good idea.... ?

sorry pal but you got to clean house with your FO. Rhule , Brady and your GM all need to go. not for talking a chance on Sam but going all in on him. they gave that stupid extension and then didnt even draft a QB when they could have had Fields or Mac.

• Upvote 2

Look at Robby's stats with and without Sam Darnold. Robby without Sam produces like a descent #2 or #3 option at WR.

2017 without Sam Darnold 63 catches 941 yards 7 TDs (This was his second year in the league). If Elijah Moore puts up these types of numbers next year, Jets fans will be excited.

2018-2019: Robby averages ~50 catches ~765 yards 5.5 TDs (With Darnold)

2020: 95 catches 1,096 yards 3 TDs (Without Darnold)

2021: Back to being with Darnold and he is on pace for ~40 catches, ~435 yards, ~4 TDs

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Oh damn I didnt know lmao

It's true, but they also had Bridgewater signed for 2 guaranteed years as well - including this season - and got out of that a year early by eating it. 

I can see taking a shot on Darnold for a 2nd rounder, I guess. What I can't wrap my head around is then doubling down on him by guaranteeing him $19MM next year, before his first practice with the team, and more importantly to see him up close handling adversity in live action.

Purely from a risk/reward standpoint - risking a guaranteed $19MM for a potential reward of $9MM savings on the franchise tag - that was a poor gamble. Never mind they could've worked on an extension at any time during the season if they liked what they saw. The whole thing with acquiring Darnold was it was a relatively low risk pick to try him out and see if they could find a FQB without expending a high pick this year: low risk, high reward. Then they threw that in the garbage.

Now they've got a loser QB, whose upside is still purely imaginary at this point, and next year they're down a 2nd, a 4th, and $19MM for the privilege.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Look at Robby's stats with and without Sam Darnold. Robby without Sam produces like a descent #2 or #3 option at WR.

2017 without Sam Darnold 63 catches 941 yards 7 TDs (This was his second year in the league). If Elijah Moore puts up these types of numbers next year, Jets fans will be excited.

2018-2019: Robby averages ~50 catches ~765 yards 5.5 TDs (With Darnold)

2020: 95 catches 1,096 yards 3 TDs (Without Darnold)

2021: Back to being with Darnold and he is on pace for ~40 catches, ~435 yards, ~4 TDs

Actually even 2017 wasn't all with a legit QB either. Remember the last 3+ games was Bryce Petty. 

With McCown = 65 yards/game

With Bridgewater = 68 yards/game

With Darnold = under 50 yards/game

Anderson is having a horrid season, and it's not all because of Darnold - he does have 6 drops - but watching a compilation on youtube from a couple weeks ago, not even half the passes thrown Anderson's way are catchable. On most throws he either wasn't open and Darnold threw it to him anyway, or he was open and Darnold missed him. 

Even some of the drops came in too hot for short yardage, but an 8-figure/year WR is expected to catch those. Drops are drops. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

12-15 yr backup that will bounce around the league and show flashes every once in a while.  Not a bad life 

A backup has to inspire confidence in his team after losing the starter.  Darnold’s flat and hopeless demeanor infects, not inspires, his teammates…

• Upvote 1

Funny how so many of the best qb prospects of recent years are falling flat in comparison to the old  generation of qbs (Rogers, Manning, Brady, Brees, etc).  

Even the two best of the modern era (Russel and Mahomes) have struggled at times. 

I'm pretty sure you could surgically repair Mannings back, trot him out there, and he'd be better than a lot of the garbage we've been seeing recently.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 1010WINS said:

Maybe he never would have materialized to anything, but the Jets certainly played a part in his regression. He looked like a promising player after his rookie season. What do you think happened?

B.S.  Darnold is yet another California air head who has never been comfortable dealing with NFL defensive speed here or with Carolina.  He doesn't process what is happening fast enough.  /end story.  He's got the physical ability.  Not the mental ability.  Same exact thing with Mark Sanchez.  Exactly.  I blame USC.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Hael said:

Funny how so many of the best qb prospects of recent years are falling flat in comparison to the old  generation of qbs (Rogers, Manning, Brady, Brees, etc).  

Even the two best of the modern era (Russel and Mahomes) have struggled at times. 

I'm pretty sure you could surgically repair Mannings back, trot him out there, and he'd be better than a lot of the garbage we've been seeing recently.

To be fair only Manning was a top prospect, I guess Rodgers was considered a top prospect but he slid to the end of the 1st 

59 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

12-15 yr backup that will bounce around the league and show flashes every once in a while.  Not a bad life 

You need a backup to either be a game manager OR a gunslinger who can put up some points.  Darnold is neither.  He’s a QB3.  

He ought to be out of the league by the age of 27/28, but perhaps some team(s) will give him additional chances beyond that. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You need a backup to either be a game manager OR a gunslinger who can put up some points.  Darnold is neither.  He’s a QB3.  

He ought to be out of the league by the age of 27/28, but perhaps some team(s) will give him additional chances beyond that. 

I don’t think it’s far fetched to think Darnold has a 10 year career as a back up. 

1 minute ago, Anthony Jet said:

I don’t think it’s far fetched to think Darnold has a 10 year career as a back up. 

No it’s not far fetched, because this is a league that gives high draft picks endless chances.  See:  Bradford, Sam.  

But that doesn’t mean he SHOULD get those chances or that he’d make even a decent backup. 

There is an actual downside of Jets peddling lemons onto teams for absolute heist prices long-term. Makes it way less likely that teams want to keep dealing the Jets and giving up big prices for players. 

But for today, keep improving that pick value baby. 

Hopefully we stop drafting lemons so we don’t have to peddle them

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

A backup has to inspire confidence in his team after losing the starter.  Darnold’s flat and hopeless demeanor infects, not inspires, his teammates…

A back up has to just not be awful.

Like Geno just finished with 5 TDS 1 pick, 700+ yards in 3 starts for Seahawks. He will have no trouble continuing to be a back up, but he isnt a starter and his flaws were still present.

I dont think Darnold could even be at THAT level. He sucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Quite frankly that 2018 draft sucked for QBs.

Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield were all talked up like they were Hall of Famers. Josh Allen wasnt considered polished enough for the NFL game and Lamar Jackson was more of college phenom

If you asked he right now to place money on a 2018 QB having the best shot at winning a Super Bowl, Id have to choose Lamar Jackson.

I know many of you are strutting around like your sh*t don't stink but what does that say about the Jets that they selected a BUST at QB at #3?

Oh that's right :

Same Old Jets

(in other words, the usual)

How's Zach working out for us?   Oh.    Goddammit...

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Sam Darnold will soon be following in the footsteps of...

Geno Smith...

2 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Geno Smith...

Geno Smith...

ECHO....

ECho......

Echo...

echo....  ?

1 minute ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Agreed always felt he was a good kid just isn’t NFL qb material. 

Hope he invests that 18 million he is going to steal next season from the Panthers.  

He'll need it for a life after Football which will come sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, jmat321 said:

If he even lasts half that long without ending up out of the league, I would be shocked.

• Upvote 1

Sam’s’ s bad is really really bad.  It’s hard for NFL QBs to look this bad.   Sam was never able to pull himself from the fire when things start to go bad.   He just continues to flame out.   Some guys can stop the bleeding, but Sam reaches depths that are abysmal.   He’s a good kid, but lacks the mental fortitude to be successful in this league.  

Just now, Vin said:

Hope he invests that 18 million he is going to steal next season from the Panthers.  

He'll need it for a life after Football which will come sooner rather than later.

Geno has been in the league for 9 years. Trevor Siemien 5 years.  Ryan Fitzpatrick 28 years.  Tyrod Taylor 11 years.  Jacoby Brisset 7 years.  Colt McCoy 11 years. Case Keenum 9 years.  

Sam isn’t going anywhere. Soon.