Is Sam Darnold officially a bust?

1010WINS

6 minutes ago, 1010WINS said:

Maybe he never would have materialized to anything, but the Jets certainly played a part in his regression. He looked like a promising player after his rookie season. What do you think happened?

Where were you three years ago when me and a bunch more real Jet fans who understood the game were calling Darnold a bust?  Easy now.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Never learned to play QB properly. Steve Young Cosplay might work in the PAC 10 but not in the NFL. I think it’s also apparent he doesn’t have the intangibles or the intelligence for the position. His weaponless Jets experience didn’t help. And tbh, most QBs are just bad. There’s only some that are actually good IMO

• Sympathy 3

58 minutes ago, 1010WINS said:

Maybe he never would have materialized to anything, but the Jets certainly played a part in his regression. He looked like a promising player after his rookie season. What do you think happened?

He never made the big jump from year 1 to year 2. He stayed the same player he was as a rookie. He still is today. 

51 minutes ago, fullblast said:

That Denver game last year is where I jumped off the Darnold wagon. Good kid but he just doesn't know how to play the position.

Same here. He took a snap in that game under center and immediately tripped over his own feet and I remember thinking, "Tom Brady would never fall on his ass like that." Unfortunate but it is what it is.

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He never made the big jump from year 1 to year 2. He stayed the same player he was as a rookie. He still is today. 

Yep except I think he’s a worse player now than he was as a rookie. That’s where the Jets deserve some blame. 

As a rookie he showed some promise. Remember when he went toe to toe with Rodgers and Watson and held his own? 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

He’s been doing the same crap since USC, but it’s snowballing now

almost have to bench him out of mercy now

Any hope of reclaiming him almost has to start with pulling the plug before it gets worse, and sitting him indefinitely until he develops more. Even that's a pipe dream though.

He is a bust.

2 minutes ago, 1010WINS said:

Yep except I think he’s a worse player now than he was as a rookie. That’s where the Jets deserve some blame. 

As a rookie he showed some promise. Remember when he went toe to toe with Rodgers and Watson and held his own? 

“tHe JeTs BrOke DaRnOLD” - please stop this lies Darnold lead the FBS in turnovers his senior year. 

SAM DARNOLD IS A TRASH BAG WITH WINGS FACE IT!

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I’d say no not yet even though 4th season. They might not have much more patience with him esp with pressure on the HC to win games. The Panthers were 5-11 last year so this season under Sam that record will improve. But if he continues to implode and have bad games he’ll be in Geno territory and labeled as a backup. He has to change his game and accept the fact he’s a game manager. If he plays with that mindset like so far Mike White does he could have better success and his team can win with a decent defense. 3 picks esp in the red zone isn’t going to hack it.