Jets would incur $20 mil in dead money if they were to look to move on from Mosley after this season

AFJF

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In hindsight, sure.

In that moment, I don't think so.  Mosely was a 4x pro-bowler who had missed all of 3 starts in 5 seasons.

No GM could have known he'd get hurt and lose a year in the first game as a Jet.

No GM could have predicted COVID, and that Mosely would choose to sit for a year after his lost year.

I'm happy to assign blame where appropriate, but this one isn't it.  On it's face, signing Mosely looked like a very good move, justified by how well he played that one shining first half as a Jet before it all came crumbling down.

Now?  He's a guy who basically didn't play football for two years (2019, 2020) and he just isn't the same guy now.

Sucks, but hard to say any GM "should have known" this would be the outcome IMO.

Totally agree that no one knew Mosley would get hurt/not play.  Guess I was just reacting to that gut punch $20 million implication.  With today's eyes, that's shocking.   I can't remember whether I liked the deal at the time or not.

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  The money at the time was just gross even for a totally healthy Mosley.   Now he’s still grossly over-paid and a poor fit for this defense.  I applaud him for at least trying, he lost weight in an attempt to get faster but it just isn’t working.   It was a poor allocation of resources.   Maccagnan spent over $150M on an inside linebacker, a RB and a slot receiver that off-season.  Just inexcusable.   

JD's hands are tied.  At that cap hit he's on the team for next year.  How are your thoughts at moving him into the Jarred Davis role and getting a Mike that can fly (Dean)?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Anytime a player says they are losing weight to get faster/quicker (usually older players), It never works out that way.   Bell said the same thing after his disastrous first season and was/is still slow.   

they stay the same speed and now have less mass.

During preseason, I brought up the same thing about Mosley losing all that weight.  It was like I had burned down an orphanage.  Although you hate being right, sometimes what some of us see is actually reality.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

JD's hands are tied.  At that cap hit he's on the team for next year.  How are your thoughts at moving him into the Jarred Davis role and getting a Mike that can fly (Dean)?  

They NEED to get faster a LBer, they to get faster at a lot of positions, but it’s a crisis how non-athletic the LBers are.  Dean is a missile, a little small but has tremendous instincts.   There’s going to be a ton of debate as to if and where to draft some help at LBer, there’s some options for sure.  

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In hindsight, sure.

In that moment, I don't think so.  Mosely was a 4x pro-bowler who had missed all of 3 starts in 5 seasons.

No GM could have known he'd get hurt and lose a year in the first game as a Jet.

No GM could have predicted COVID, and that Mosely would choose to sit for a year after his lost year.

I'm happy to assign blame where appropriate, but this one isn't it.  On it's face, signing Mosely looked like a very good move, justified by how well he played that one shining first half as a Jet before it all came crumbling down.

Now?  He's a guy who basically didn't play football for two years (2019, 2020) and he just isn't the same guy now.

Sucks, but hard to say any GM "should have known" this would be the outcome IMO.

I will admit that I loved the Mosley signing at the time but there were red flags.  He badly wanted to stay with the Ravens and we had to blow him out of the water with a contract.  When he opted out last year (after basically missing his 1st year) I think we all felt like this was going to be a disaster.  I still agree with the 2 points in bold though.  And I think Mosley could've worked out had it not been for these 2 things but such is life as a Jet fan.

Of course, the Patriots signed Raven LB Matthew Judon and he's playing great there.  

5 minutes ago, harris5214 said:

Sadly not surprised with Mosley. Essentially missed the last two seasons and I got the vibe (well we all do) he wasn’t running sprints and bleachers last year when he wasn’t with the team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't think it was ever verified but IIRC there was also a picture of him going out to a bar when he, supposedly, opted out due to being protective of his health during Covid.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

In hindsight, sure.

The Ultimate Fighter Sport GIF by UFCTruth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

A GM shouldn’t be paying a LB $17 million a year for 5 years when the whole team sucks. Mosley deteriorating was not predictable but this being a bad contract was obvious from day 1.

The Jets culture kills careers. On Mosely too, but there’s something wrong in the building when you sign high priced guys and they decide to somewhat phone it in.

The team is handcuffed with Mosley. He’s been trash this year but they can’t do anything about it. His lone positive is his veteran leadership and that he lines the guys up. God I hate mac. Paying him and bell while having a trash heap at ol/cb is so beyond idiotic. The 4-3 switch isn’t helping Mosley either because he isn’t athletic enough. 1 more year then he’s gone 

In hindsight, sure.

It was a disaster the moment it happened. I hated it. You don’t pay a mlb 18 mil while you have nothing at OL/cb/edge. Pair that with bell and it was a complete disaster. like seriously don’t pay rbs a crazy amount because they are easily replaceable 

• Sympathy 1

So what position should we pay when "the whole team sucks", and do you presume when signing FA's that the "whole team will suck" the entire length of that contract?

Seems an odd way to run a team to me.

Curious, did you say that at the time, that is was an obvious bad signing, and did you say why? 

Because most folks didn't think that at the time by my memory, and they certainly didn't say "because the whole team sucks" as the reason for it being a bad signing.

I don't agree, for the record, I think it was a solid signing given what was known at the time.

I wanted zadarius smith and Matt paradis. Edge and OL are much more valuable than mlb and rb. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Why would you move on? Who is replacing him?

I thought JD was in a complete rebuild with the philosophy of playing rookies.   If that's the case, find a rookie to replace Mosley.   Whether that guy can play or not is irrelevant as this is, again, a total rebuild.    And as many here have said, winning won't be  important for another two or three years.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1