Jets didn’t prepare for Minshew

kevinc855

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

For me at least, this became apparent with the NE games.  We just could not stop them on runs.   And not complex misdirection stuff.  But RBs going for 7, 8, 9 yards on first down straight up the middle.   That trend has continued in all our games.   We saw it all day yesterday with Sanders.

Bad angles, arm tackles. Yards After Contact is huge against the Jets.

• Upvote 2

Bad game by the defense yesterday. No getting around it. Frustrating and embarrassing.   I just find it difficult to accept that our DC made it all the way up the ranks and became the leader of an NFL defense and is also totally incompetent at what he does. Is this what a new coach/players system looks like in year one? How have other struggling teams that eventually had success in recent years looked in year one? San Francisco? Bills? Chargers? Bengals? I did not run a spreadsheet but I think I can remember these teams having weeks where they looked totally inept also. 

Just now, Copernicus said:

Bad game by the defense yesterday against an above average OLine with a successful back up QB and little time to prepare. No getting around it, it was real bad. Frustrating and embarrassing.   I just find it difficult to accept that our DC made it all the way up the ranks and became the leader of an NFL defense and is also totally incompetent at what he does. Is this what a new coach/players system looks like in year one? How have other struggling teams that eventually had success in recent years looked in year one? San Francisco? Bills? Chargers? Bengals? I did not run a spreadsheet but I think I can remember these teams having weeks where they looked totally inept also. 

3 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Bad game by the defense yesterday. No getting around it. Frustrating and embarrassing.   I just find it difficult to accept that our DC made it all the way up the ranks and became the leader of an NFL defense and is also totally incompetent at what he does. Is this what a new coach/players system looks like in year one? How have other struggling teams that eventually had success in recent years looked in year one? San Francisco? Bills? Chargers? Bengals? I did not run a spreadsheet but I think I can remember these teams having weeks where they looked totally inept also. 

Don't worry.  He said it won't happen again.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The more concerning aspect of the defensive coaching is the fact that they never adjust to what teams are doing to them.  How many passes did Dallas Goedert need to catch before someone finally adjusts the coverage?

I also think this whole philosophy where the corner backs don’t travel and just line up on the same side of the defense every play is foolish.  Its given opposing offenses an extremely easy time of creating mis-matches in their favor.  Saleh’s excuse that it would somehow cause too much confusion because guys would need to learn different roles is comical, especially when we heard all that B.S. about how the WRs need to learn all the WR positions.  

I get that the talent on defense isn’t great, but has this defense ever really fooled an offense?  When have we ever said “wow, what a great call or coverage”?   

It's because they admittedly dont adjust.  I've literally heard Ulrich say the offense doesnt dictate what we run.  Which is ******* asinine.  As mentioned in my last post the philosophy is that their base D can handle anything that comes their way, so they dont need to scheme week to week or make in game adjustments or try follow a WR or create a mismatch at the LOS.  They just line up, demand execution and throw their hands up when it doesnt happen.  I'm just not sure how this is going to be successful without have all world talent on D.

38 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

So maybe just time and stability are required to allow a HC about halfway through his first season to learn from his mistakes... And to be fair Saleh said they review film and prepare for the system and not a particular QB. The system doesn't change only what plays they might call in the system, he is partly right.

The biggest problem this team has is that they are making silly mistakes. Which is what happens with a young team that has very few veterans... They had more veterans but they have all been injured over time. So guildry taking a wrong angle on a screen resulting in a 30 yard play is the mistake of 1, not the whole system. Or a player slipping on the turf leaving the TE wide open, again is an execution problem not a coaching problem. Also, when said player slips on the turf, not having a safety help him out is a communication issue on part of the players being young, not a scheme issue.

Yeah, Saleh needs and will get time. But railing against everyone who pops off against Saleh out of frustration about the Jets abysmal defensive showing is like fighting a magma flow with a garden hose. What's the point? People are going to vent, so what.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

And what exactly do you want him to say in a press conference where he is forced to speak? 

I don't know if he actually said that after yesterday's game.  I was referring to the promise he made after 54-13, yet we've been embarrassed multiple times since.

As for "what do you want him to say", I rather enjoy his empty promises.  They bring a little bit of levity to another dreadful season.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

I found this admission by Bryce Hall stunning. It was later backed up by CJ. 

Coaching negligence to me. Is this why Saleh was losing his mind on the sideline? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/12/06/robert-saleh-left-jets-unprepared-for-eagles-gardner-minshew/amp/

As of week 13, Saleh's team almost NEVER looks prepared.   

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t see how this is out of context. He flat out said they didn’t prepare for Minshew to be the starter.

I didn't say he wasn't be truthful. He asked what I want, and I answered his question as I do every time it's asked of me on here. I guess I also could've said $10M and Jessica Biel.

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

It's because they admittedly dont adjust.  I've literally heard Ulrich say the offense doesnt dictate what we run.  Which is ******* asinine.  As mentioned in my last post the philosophy is that their base D can handle anything that comes their way, so they dont need to scheme week to week or make in game adjustments or try follow a WR or create a mismatch at the LOS.  They just line up, demand execution and throw their hands up when it doesnt happen.  I'm just not sure how this is going to be successful without have all world talent on D.

It’s disturbing to watch because there are plays where this defense is beat before the offense even snaps the ball.  Watching a 5’9” Javelin Guidry cover Goedert or JFM and Bryce Huff cover Kyle Pitts is just insanity.   It’s just so easy calling plays against this defense.   

Jets didn’t prepare for Minshew

In fairness, can anyone ever really be prepared for Gardner Minshew? 

Seriously though, once I saw Minshew was starting, I knew he was going to have a big game. The guy is a baller. There are about 11 NFL teams starting QBs that are not currently as good as Minshew. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, jgb said:

I want what I always want. Truth.

Truth is we’re outmanned pretty much every week.  Between the age and injuries to the unit they have to play out of their minds just to be acceptable defense.  And that’s a loose description

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Looks like the Saleh/Ulbrich tandem forgot how to prepare the team again for RBs going straight up the middle for big runs all day, too.   Seems like a weekly (weakly?) event so you would figure someone could provide an answer.

Seriously.  The eagles ran 41 times for 185 yards.  That’s the problem with this defense. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't know if he actually said that after yesterday's game.  I was referring to the promise he made after 54-13, yet we've been embarrassed multiple times since.

As for "what do you want him to say", I rather enjoy his empty promises.  They bring a little bit of levity to another dreadful season.

I find it confusing why anyone would dissect the words verbatim of a 22 year old player and/or a coach in a first year position minutes after the intensity of an NFL football game and not try to see the bigger picture. The defense for whatever reason looked decent the first month of the season with most to all rookies and second year players and have gotten worse in recent weeks (with glimpses of success in between). What is the alternative? Keep firing HC (s), something that this organization has been criticized in the past? What quality DC or HC would we higher now knowing if their is not immediate success with rookie/second year players you are fired within the season? Should we have fired La Fluer a few weeks back? How about cutting Zach now? How'd cutting the kicker we spent 3/4 of a season developing work out this past week? Think there's a chance next kicker we attempt to bring in doesnt sign knowing he's done if he doesnt make all FG attempts in game 1 he's gone? 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I find it confusing why anyone would dissect the words verbatim of a 22 year old player and/or a coach in a first year position minutes after the intensity of an NFL football game and not try to see the bigger picture. The defense for whatever reason looked decent the first month of the season with most to all rookies and second year players and have gotten worse in recent weeks (with glimpses of success in between). What is the alternative? Keep firing HC (s), something that this organization has been criticized in the past? What quality DC or HC would we higher now knowing if their is not immediate success with rookie/second year players you are fired within the season? Should we have fired La Fluer a few weeks back? How about cutting Zach now? How'd cutting the kicker we spent 3/4 of a season developing work out this past week? Think there's a chance next kicker we attempt to bring in doesnt sign knowing he's done if he doesnt make all FG attempts in game 1 he's gone? 

You must be fun at parties.