Jets didn’t prepare for Minshew

kevinc855

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Yep, he does. And I've been vocal in saying that he seems thoughtful enough to have learned and grown from his experience as a Jet and will get another HC shot in the (very) near future and I think he will do better.

Todd Bowles was framed.

No one paired with Macc would succeed.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Bad game by the defense yesterday. No getting around it. Frustrating and embarrassing.   I just find it difficult to accept that our DC made it all the way up the ranks and became the leader of an NFL defense and is also totally incompetent at what he does. Is this what a new coach/players system looks like in year one? How have other struggling teams that eventually had success in recent years looked in year one? San Francisco? Bills? Chargers? Bengals? I did not run a spreadsheet but I think I can remember these teams having weeks where they looked totally inept also. 

I think that a new system is a good excuse for the first few weeks, just like it took Lafleur a few weeks before the offense started to click. 

But there should be some signs of progress by now. We are in week 12 of the NFL season and we just got torched by Gardner Minshew. Nothing about this defense is improving. In fact, it seems to be getting progressively worse. Even with subpar talent the Defensive scheme should work to occasionally force a punt. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think that a new system is a good excuse for the first few weeks, just like it took Lafleur a few weeks before the offense started to click. 

But there should be some signs of progress by now. We are in week 12 of the NFL season and we just got torched by Gardner Minshew. Nothing about this defense is improving. In fact, it seems to be getting progressively worse. Even with subpar talent the Defensive scheme should work to occasionally force a punt. 

With a new system and a new and very young secondary, i think most of us here expected a pretty good run defense but an inconsistent pass defense.  Instead, we did get the inconsistent pass defense but a terrible run d, with basically the same DL that was ok or better the past few years vs the run.  It’s puzzling and indeed concerning that late in the 2nd quarter, there’s a tv graphic indicating the jets are giving up 10.1 yards PER PLAY.  A fail like this is more than any one player or unit’s fault. This is a coaching fail.  No nfl defense should be giving up a first down every single play.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With a new system and a new and very young secondary, i think most of us here expected a pretty good run defense but an inconsistent pass defense.  Instead, we did get the inconsistent pass defense but a terrible run d, with basically the same DL that was ok or better the past few years vs the run.  It’s puzzling and indeed concerning that late in the 2nd quarter, there’s a tv graphic indicating the jets are giving up 10.1 yards PER PLAY.  A fail like this is more than any one player or unit’s fault. This is a coaching fail.  No nfl defense should be giving up a first down every single play.  

Nor should a defense be giving a score every single drive. There have been entire games this year where we haven't seen the opposing teams punter. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Hall was asked to elaborate. 

“Had we known ahead of time, I don’t think it really honestly would have changed much at all. It really didn’t change whether it was Minshew or Jalen, they did pretty much the same thing that we were expecting them to do.” 

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................

People need new things to complain about on a daily basis. This basically says this whole thread is nonsense. 

smh.....

#troublemaker

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Nor should a defense be giving a score every single drive. There have been entire games this year where we haven't seen the opposing teams punter. 

Even bad teams force punts, and bad teams accidentally force turnovers.  

It’s fair to wonder if the vets on the dline aren’t giving it all.  You just can’t have that much mass on the dline and give up that much rushing yardage.  The whole is worse than the sum of its parts.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The Jets defense, with all the injuries, all the players theyre running out there that were on the street a week earlier, isnt the D that they hoped to put on the field and theyre playing like shlt, cant stop a thing.  Its not they didnt prep, its theyre incapable of playing with decent teams right now.  Theyre outmanned.  DL, LB missing pieces, SS & FS gone, one corners are scrubs other than Hall, how much can coaching change?

So, like I said, we cannot execute - prep is irrelevant.

57 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Even bad teams force punts, and bad teams accidentally force turnovers.  

It’s fair to wonder if the vets on the dline aren’t giving it all.  You just can’t have that much mass on the dline and give up that much rushing yardage.  The whole is worse than the sum of its parts.

Can't wait to play Tampa Bay

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....................

People need new things to complain about on a daily basis. This basically says this whole thread is nonsense. 

smh.....

#troublemaker

I mean their skillsets are completely different. Preparing as if they’re the same doesn’t make sense either.

• Upvote 1

I think Saleh said it was the same offense with both QBs the same plays nothing new but with Minshew they would run more short passing plays than Hurts they knew that and say they were prepared. The Jets D players can’t blame everything on the CS they’re the ones out of position getting faked out giving up big plays and 30 plus points. 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

They will be in play for the 1 seed

doubt they are resting guys before the final week

I sure hope so. Honestly, I don't even want to imagine this place if Trask lights it up.

I also don't want the Jets to set a record for most games lost to teams starting QBs that either started or finished the season down the depth chart.

To be honest, I don't really understand what the team does on a week to week basis on defense at all.

They basically seem to play a base cover 3 and count on the players to read, react, and execute at a high level.

The problem is most of these guys aren't NFL starting caliber players.

We get absolutely roasted every week.

We finally stopped the Texans last week -- do you know what the Texans did this week? They lost 31-0 in a game where their two QBs went 11 of 27 for 94 yards. 0 TDs, 1 INT.

Talk about giving us some false hope against the only team in the league worse than we are.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Philly roped a dope the Jets. Up until Saturday night, all indications were that Hurts was a "go". 

Weird that an NFL team does not telegraph their injuries.

One part of this excuse doesn't compute though... if we prepared against Hurts presumably that would mean focusing on stopping the run...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Bowles has a Superbowl ring

Saleh was 5 minutes away from one himself.  Doesn’t mean that those two coordinators are great HC candidates.

I’m not ready to dump Saleh yet.  There’s no doubt he’s been underwhelming but there are a LOT of moving parts here.  Not just that he’s a first-time HC installing a new system with new coordinators (one also a first-timer), but the Jets are playing more rookies than any other NFL team on a weekly basis including the QB.

The defense has been a letdown but it’s hard to ignore that Bryce Hall is the only starter in the secondary that the Jets really planned to have going this year.  Maye and Joyner have been replaced by Davis and Riley, and the Jets are starting a rotation of young CBs like Pinnock, Echols, Carter II, etc.  Teams that play so many rookie CBs have typically drafte them in the 1st or 2nd round, not the 5th or 6th.

The D is clearly a mess and it has maybe 4 starting caliber players right now.  I’m frustrated and I hate to say it but I really think we need a little patience.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Philly roped a dope the Jets. Up until Saturday night, all indications were that Hurts was a "go". 

Weird that an NFL team does not telegraph their injuries.

I mean for fantasy purposes everyone was under the assumption he wasn’t playing.

• Upvote 2

overblown imo. the eagles offensive scheme is the eagles offensive scheme. Sure they're going to do more running the ball with the QB when Hurts is in but the plays & formations they're practicing for are the same. Some tendencies will change but that's just a matter of expecting a different frequency of the plays they're calling.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Saleh and ulbrich are negligently stubborn on the defense. They have their system and their play and refuse to adjust it for their personnel, the opponent, or the fact that it’s downright failing.

I just don’t understand this.

Ulbrich admitted this after the colts game. They are trying to implement a new system. He said they could adjust the system to the personnel but that it would undermine them trying to establish the new system and could set them back for next year. In my opinion it seems from the top down the goal is to rebuild and not to win now. Not saying I agree, but that is what is going on.

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Saleh was losing it because the officiating was bad yesterday.  I don't  normally  complain about refs but it seemed like they did everything they could to make calls that helped the Eagles. 

it's tough to complain when they lose a game so handily but the officials certainly seemed like they were giving the eagles more calls.  that 4th and inches shouldn't have been overturned.

• WTF? 1

9 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Is this why Saleh was losing his mind on the sideline? 

He was losing his mind on the sideline because of a lot of terrible calls. That game was horribly officiated. There was at least 1 PI call in which the receiver tripped on the ground, a few other things too. Plus, wasn't everybody asking for Saleh's firey side? We got it

• Sympathy 1

I like Saleh.. and i admire him .. but he doesnt seem cut out for this.

He does not .. at least publicly ... care enough about results to make changes.

This D is attrocious.

His new gen positive only methods seem misplaced in the NFL.

How long do you support a failing coordinator before making a change ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I like Saleh.. and i admire him .. but he doesnt seem cut out for this.

He does not .. at least publicly ... care enough about results to make changes.

This D is attrocious.

His new gen positive only methods seem misplaced in the NFL.

How long do you support a failing coordinator before making a change ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Ulbrich is probably going to stay for the rest of the year; he might be canned in the offseason, but I'll guess he gets fired next year