Matt Rhule, also soft

T0mShane

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I sincerely doubt it.  McCarthy really is not competent in any way.  Maybe he would have been better than the other 2 candidates but that's a very low bar to clear.

You and I agree more than not here, but not on this. "Not competent" Head Coaches don't have the success MM has had and is having. Had he come here, we would have had an actual NFL level coaching staff instead of the Bush league, amateur hour cast-offs we've had for damn near 10 years now. 

I get it ..."But Rodgers!! But Dak!!". Yeah, I got it. 

The Jets drafted a raw but talented QB at #3 and paired him with a DC who was completely divested of the offense, and Adam Gase and his buddy Frodo. Who knows? Maybe things would have worked out differently.  

And then,  get thus, they draft a raw QB at #2 and paired him with a DC and a rookie OC and a rookie QB Coach. 

I just think MM was a respected professional who would have brought stability and competence to the franchise,  but I don't think Maccagnan would have EVER hired a guy with any gravitas in the league, because he KNEW he was incompetent and any HC with a brain would want him sh*tcanned asap. As we saw.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's not the typo I'm thinking of.  You do realize it was Rhule's call to bring in Darnold and hand him the 5th-year option, no?  No one "saddled" Rhule with Darnold.  He did that all himself.  

well yeah, but they extended him

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You and I agree more than not here, but not on this. "Not competent" Head Coaches don't have the success MM has had and is having. Had he come here, we would have had an actual NFL level coaching staff instead of the Bush league, amateur hour cast-offs we've had for damn near 10 years now. 

The Jets drafted a raw but talented QB at #3 and paired him with a DC who was completely divested of the offense, and Adam Gase and his buddy Frodo. Who knows? Maybe things would have worked out differently.  

And then,  get thus, they draft a raw QB at #2 and paired him with a DC and a rookie OC and a rookie QB Coach. 

I just think MM was a respected professional who would have brought stability and competence to the franchise,  but I don't think Maccagnan would have EVER hired a guy with any gravitas in the league, because he KNEW he was incompetent and any HC with a brain would want him sh*tcanned asap. As we saw.

Prior to this year, McCarthy hadn't had a winning season since 2016.  And he spent his year away from the NFL getting kicked out of JV Basketball games for complaining about referee calls.

He's a clown.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Rhule was always goweng to fawel wen the NFL. We called wet back then. We also hated Gase well before he was hwered; we wanted McCarthy. We also wanted Fweelds or trade back, but we dewenwetely wanted no part of Zach. 

Replace all "we" with "I" to decode. 

Who are the we?  

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Adam Gase is the only one with the sack to stage a coup against Maccagnan, so you all lose

Counterpoint: Any COMPETENT NFL COACH was going to want to have Maccagnan removed, which is why Mac hired the one guy who seemingly didn't have the juice or record to have him sh*tcanned Immediately. He thought the universally despised Gase would have the human emotion "gratefulness".

He also knew McCarthy would have isolated and marginalized him immediately. 

The fact that Adam Gase was such a disgrace and a despised person in the NFL made Mac think he would be safe. He was wrong, but Gase's failure to marginalize him immediately gave us two years of awful drafting and some of the most embarrassing football in the history of a bad Football Franchise. 

In an alternate reality in which McCarthy is the Jets HC, Darnold was shut down for a year while a journeyman started, so McCarthy could un**** him, and Sam could either come back a different player playing behind a stud o line, and throwing for 4000 yards to actual NFL receivers, or the professional QB whisperer would have known immediately they needed to move on....and either way,, the Quinnen Williams, Jachai Polite, Chuma Edoga errors and the entire 2020 draft class of this reality never happened. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

just think MM was a respected professional who would have brought stability and competence to the franchise,  but I don't think Maccagnan would have EVER hired a guy with any gravitas in the league, because he KNEW he was incompetent and any HC with a brain would want him sh*tcanned asap. As we saw.

I think this is the rub, though. Maccagnan clearly slimed McCarthy via Mehta, so he never got here, but do we know that McCarthy plus Maccagnan could have worked? It seems unlikely. McCarthy is on thin ice in Dallas with a roster that Jets fans could only dream about. I just can’t see a path for McCarthy to do anything here with Darnold and Maccagnan. It’s just a bridge too far.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think this is the rub, though. Maccagnan clearly slimed McCarthy via Mehta, so he never got here, but do we know that McCarthy plus Maccagnan could have worked? It seems unlikely. McCarthy is on thin ice in Dallas with a roster that Jets fans could only dream about. I just can’t see a path for McCarthy to do anything here with Darnold and Maccagnan. It’s just a bridge too far.

Maybe, probably,  who knows? All I know is that the Jets have made the wrong possible move at every conceivable decision tree for years. We are literally watching one of the worst case scenario decision matrices play out in real time.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Gase got him fired within four months of taking the HC job. 

Not immediate. He failed us. He failed the future. 

The fact that he was able to draft a DT at #3, Jachai Polite, and Chuma Edoga with his first 3 picks.....

Disaster.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Rhule was always goweng to fawel wen the NFL. We called wet back then. We also hated Gase well before he was hwered; we wanted McCarthy. We also wanted Fweelds or trade back, but we dewenwetely wanted no part of Zach. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I’m thinking it’s a little early to be this intoxicated…

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Is this Elvish?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Who are the we?  

I had it in white font on the original post but I guess no one got it.

Replace "we" with "I" to decode. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Damnit.  

McCarthy is a stubbon, stale dinosaur.

The only person on the planet that couldn’t see that Aaron Jones is better than Jamaal Williams.

His incompetence will show in the playoffs, Bill O’Brien style.

Give it a rest…

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Damnit.  

McCarthy is a stubbon, stale dinosaur.

The only person on the planet that couldn’t see that Aaron Jones is better than Jamaal Williams.

His incompetence will show in the playoffs, Bill O’Brien style.

Give it a rest…

Ah. I get you now. You hated McCarthy,  Rhule, AND Gase. 

Were you riding Harboughs jock, or were you living in a Dream World of "throwing money at Cowher" or, maybe you wanted Andy Reids caddie Bienemy? Maybe Daboll? 

Those were the choices. That was it. 

And I could literally not care less about what Running Back got playing time in GB. 

I'll "give it a rest" when I'm good and godamned ready to...because outside of McCarthy at this point, it's CLEAR that every other answer was the WRONG ANSWER.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm surprised i haven't been tagged 47 times in this one...  being one of Rhule's biggest advocates. 

I blame Darnold, as should all of you. 

Don’t worry.  

You can take a victory lap when Rhule goes 9-4 at West Virginia in 2023.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Were you riding Harboughs jock, or were you living in a Dream World of "throwing money at Cowher" or, maybe you wanted Andy Reids caddie Bienemy? Maybe Daboll? 

And I could literally not care less about what Running Back got playing time in GB. 

I'll "give it a rest" when I'm good and godamned ready to...because outside of McCarthy at this point, it's CLEAR that every other answer was the WRONG ANSWER.

No.  I hated McCarthy and Rhule.

I actually liked Gase.  Trading for John Harbaugh was my #1 choice.

I was wrong on Gase.  Or we were all wrong about the whole lot.  

Except maybe the Kingsbury group?  But that is still undecided.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

No.  I hated McCarthy and Rhule.

I actually liked Gase.  Trading for John Harbaugh was my #1 choice.

I was wrong on Gase.  Or we were all wrong about the whole lot.  

Except maybe the Kingsbury group?  But that is still undecided.

Kliff needed Murray to run his very specific Offense. I think the fact Arizona had the #1 with the exact type of player that he needed to run his offense was a perfect but fortuitous fit. 

I don't think Kingsbury was ever really in play for NY. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Don’t worry.  

You can take a victory lap when Rhule goes 9-4 at West Virginia in 2023.

Wrong Virginia. ...don't know what the temperature test would say about the current regime in Charlotsville, but i have a big soft for the Cavs... i would love to see that sleeping giant become a thing in the ACC.

42 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

McCarthy was not the right answer either. He was clearly addition by subtraction in GB. Truth is that the Jets should have had a different group in mind, but the "plan" was to pair Williams with a HC and solidify MacCagnan's power. It backfired on McCoffee and it screwed the Jets over royally. I will say this though McCarthy was higher on the list than Gase.  All spilt milk.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Are you laying face down in a gutter somewhere in Greenwich Village? 

• Haha 1