***Official Black Monday Thread***

1 minute ago, Hex said:

I just got on and wow, that was a lot at once.

So Vikings fired Zimmer and Spielman

Bears fired Nagy and Pace

Dolphins fired Flores

Giants forced Gettleman into retirement

did I miss anything?

and it looks like Joe Judge is staying.

Very strange Monday  - we are not firing a GM or coach. We have a very young team with some potential growth players, draft capital and cap money.

Our so called big brother is imploding and has turned into us.

If we can get Georgia ml and the under tonight - it will be a pretty good Monday.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jbt said:

Flores out in Miami

Brian Flores is out as the Dolphins head coach, sources tell ESPN.

UTTER MADNESS!!

How in the world do you fire this Guy, after permitting ADAM GASE time to DESTROY the TEAM!!

WOW!!!

Hheheheheh Lets Go Jets! :) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

UTTER MADNESS!!

How in the world do you fire this Guy, after permitting ADAM GASE time to DESTROY the TEAM!!

WOW!!!

Hheheheheh Lets Go Jets! :) 

Seems like his relationships with Tua and the GM were pretty bad.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Why are the Giants forcing Judge and Jones on a new GM? Is the new GM coming from within the organization? 

Its not a force.  You give the new GM 1 year to evaluate the entire roster, including the coaches.  The GM then has free reign to do what he wants.

Its actually good for an incoming GM becasue it gives him an opportunity to sit back for a year and get a good idea of whats going on in the organization and what needs to be fixed.

It worked out great for Joe Douglas.

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Its not a force.  You give the new GM 1 year to evaluate the entire roster, including the coaches.  The GM then has free reign to do what he wants.

Its actually good for an incoming GM becasue it gives him an opportunity to sit back for a year and get a good idea of whats going on in the organization and what needs to be fixed.

Hopefully it doesn't work out great for said new GM!

2 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I keep reading the same posts over and over regarding Flores. He does not work well with others, that is why he was fired! Think Mangini.  He could not keep a staff together. He may be a good coach, but if you cannot manage your staff, you're useless.

Seemed like there was a disconnect between him and Grier, especially over Tua. Ross chose to side with his employee of 20 years and probably made the wrong choice.

• Upvote 1

Maybe no one cares but me but the thing I hate is not the head coaches being fired, they make millions and many will just slide into other roles and get paid double for a while.

But all the assistants and younger coaches lose their jobs too and they now have to scrounge around and beg for new jobs and many will not find them.

We tend to care only about the Macro effect on the team but today is a devastating day for many families.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Seemed like there was a disconnect between him and Grier, especially over Tua. Ross chose to side with his employee of 20 years and probably made the wrong choice.

What Flores should have done is hire his close, personal friends and the little brothers of those friends.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Not sure it worked so great for Douglas. Gase and Douglas were a bad fit and his first draft was awful. Plus if you have a lame duck HC you can easily bring in players that just do not fit the next head coach's plan. 

I feel cautiously optimistic about Saleh and his staff. We had an awful year but we saw marked improvement week to week in Zach, the OL and even the defense.

Next years roster could literally be 40% new players so next year could be a little rough as well, but with some foundational players in place we could be much more competitive next year.

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Maybe no one cares but me but the thing I hate is not the head coaches being fired, they make millions and many will just slide into other roles and get paid double for a while.

But all the assistants and younger coaches lose their jobs too and they now have to scrounge around and beg for new jobs and many will not find them.

We tend to care only about the Macro effect on the team but today is a devastating day for many families.

IMO, it’s worse when a GM gets fired and a bunch of low-level scouts who were working for peanuts end up getting shafted, then have to scrounge around for jobs with other franchises. With assistants coaches, they can at least follow their coordinators or head coaches to their new jobs When a GM gets fired, it’s unlikely they can just slide into another GM gig right away. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd easily take Flores over Saleh.  But what do I know.  I badly wanted the Jets to hire Urban Meyer last year.

We all screw up, I thought in 1995 when the Jets hired Kotite is was an upgrade over Carroll.  BTW, so did Francesa I remember his show from Hofstra when he and Mad Dog covered Kotite's Press Conference.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

We all screw up, I thought in 1995 when the Jets hired Kotite is was an upgrade over Carroll.  BTW, so did Francesa I remember his show from Hofstra when he and Mad Dog covered Kotite's Press Conference.

The thing with Kotite though is he was a member of the Jets under Walton. Had the title of assistant head coach I believe and was a complete Bozo when he was here prior to head coach.

I remember the day they announced they were hiring him as if it was yesterday. Without a doubt top 3 lowest moments in my Jet fandom and I am sure with a bit more thought - it is number 1 on the list.

36 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jim Caldwell a serious option in Miami.  HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Look what the man did in Detroit.  3 winning seasons out of 4, an overall record of 36–28 and 2 playoff appearances.  Again, this was for the Detroit Lions.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/CaldJi0.htm

image.png.ea1f9df2085493eda71bedc48086bf76.png

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

If you look at the Phins forums they all seem pretty happy he's gone

Were sick of being mediocre, just barely missing the playoffs each year

I remember Phins fans wanting him gone when they were terrible this year, though I haven't seen the forums recently. However from checking reddit and other broad NFL forums the general consensus is confusion, even from Dolphin fans I've seen.

I could see it if they continued their horrible start, but it's rare to see a coach canned after winning 8 of his last 9 and sweeping the Patriots. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Grandy said:

The decision to fire Flores can be summed up with one word: Relationships. His relationship with Grier and Tua had deteriorated to a pretty bad place. Along with constant staff changes, owner Steve Ross no longer saw Flores as a healthy fit in Miami,” Darlington wrote

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

The thing with Kotite though is he was a member of the Jets under Walton. Had the title of assistant head coach I believe and was a complete Bozo when he was here prior to head coach.

I remember the day they announced they were hiring him as if it was yesterday. Without a doubt top 3 lowest moments in my Jet fandom and I am sure with a bit more thought - it is number 1 on the list.

Yes what fooled me was he took the Eagles deeper into the playoffs than Buddy Ryan ever did. Also the last year he coached the Eagles they started 7-2, then the Eagles lost their final 7 games and he was fired. I blamed unsettlement from the new ownership rather than Kotite for the swoon.

I also thought Kotite would bring Bud Carson as his defensive coordinator and Larry Pasquale as his ST coordinator. They were tops in their field. I was disappointed neither came with him. He put together one of the worst coaching staffs I've ever seen. As they say, the rest is history.

• Upvote 1