***Official Black Monday Thread***

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Look what the man did in Detroit.  3 winning seasons out of 4, an overall record of 36–28 and 2 playoff appearances.  Again, this was for the Detroit Lions.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/CaldJi0.htm

image.png.ea1f9df2085493eda71bedc48086bf76.png

I think I figured out Caldwell's secret sauce. His QBs were Peyton Manning and Matthew Stafford.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NYJ37/12 said:

The decision to fire Flores can be summed up with one word: Relationships. His relationship with Grier and Tua had deteriorated to a pretty bad place. Along with constant staff changes, owner Steve Ross no longer saw Flores as a healthy fit in Miami,” Darlington wrote

That makes sense. Tua would be a huge part of the conflict inside the org. Reports were that Flores and the staff did not want Tua and instead sought to draft Herbert (while also wanting Watson in the present day), but ownership and Grier wanted Tua and wish to continue building with him.

Personally I think if you fire Flores you would have to fire Grier. He has definitely been worse at his respective job than Flores. However he's been with the org since 2000 and presumably has strong ties with the ownership so he wins out in a power struggle.

• Upvote 2

If coaches are fired based on whims of owners or dissatisfaction when things go bad you'd have to look at Frank Reich with the Colts. He wasn't their first choice when hired that was McDaniels. But it seemed like he was doing a good job that is until yesterday. That one L could get a coach fired. Esp to the team they lost to. And the Colts owner is usually erratic. 

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

I would think ego. Tepper does not want to be viewed amongst the owners as some knucklehead who gave out 60 mil or so guaranteed for a coach who is in over his head. So he keeps him around another year maybe two and then lets him go. A 4 year run just comes off a bit better then 2 year run even though it was a failure. 

Of course this absolutely sucks for the players on the roster and the fans - but i doubt the owner really cares. 

Not sure I agree. Tepper is a hard nosed, practical finance guy. He wants to win whatever it costs. $60 mil to him is tip money and he already thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. He's letting it ride.

Just now, Guilhermezmc said:

One guy drafted Jabari Zuniga and Denzel Mims the other drafted Danielle Hunter and Justin Jefferson 

One guy drafted Elijah Moore, Michael Carter and AVT, and the other neglected the defense to the point that a defensive coach couldn't get them going. 

It's all perspective. If you try hard enough you can find hard, good evidence about anything.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Look what the man did in Detroit.  3 winning seasons out of 4, an overall record of 36–28 and 2 playoff appearances.  Again, this was for the Detroit Lions.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/CaldJi0.htm

image.png.ea1f9df2085493eda71bedc48086bf76.png

Thank you!

Jim Caldwell had the Detroit Lions WINNING!!!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Jd hired a defensive coach that just finished ranked 32 in the league, with a roster that he built.

A defense that was missing Carl Lawson, Marcus Maye, LaMarcus Joyner, Shaq Lawson, and a plethora of other players

Spielman hired a defensive coach that allowed more points than the Giants this season 

As I said, all perspective.

I'm not saying that JD is a better GM, but my point is that you're using half stats to paint a picture

• Upvote 2

I think in the case of the Vikings they just wanted a change. Spielman is a good GM and quite frankly would be a good hire for the Giants or Jaguars if they go that direction.

Miami is just doing what the Jets used to do.  This is great for the Jets.  I personally would want to see Flores, not Fangio, as Jets DC to set up a real 3-4 defense that thinks and schemes.   But I don't think that is happening.  

I think these grumpy old rich people are very difficult in meetings.   It is very hard for Grier to say that Tua upon further reflection is not going to be the guy that takes the Dolphins to the Super Bowl.  Flores wanted Grier to give up draft picks to get Watson-draft picks are Grier's job.  Ross being a corporate guy choose the more senior guy in the dispute, and next year he will be looking for a new GM with a HC with 4 more years on his contract.  Moronic really. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

One guy drafted Jabari Zuniga and Denzel Mims the other drafted Danielle Hunter and Justin Jefferson, we can go a long way with this

Jesus, do we have to go over all the failed draft picks and FA signings of Minnesota as well?  SOJF

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Hex said:

A defense that was missing Carl Lawson, Marcus Maye, LaMarcus Joyner, Shaq Lawson, and a plethora of other players

Spielman hired a defensive coach that allowed more points than the Giants this season 

As I said, all perspective.

I'm not saying that JD is a better GM, but my point is that you're using half stats to paint a picture

Minny has a vastly better roster than ours.  Vastly.  They won twice as many games and should have won about 4 more.

At this point comparing douglas results with spielmans is a totally one sided affair.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I get your point but the goal is to build a sustained winner. Not build a team that can beat Bill Belichick. That team has come up short in back to back seasons when they were supposed to be a playoff team. 

I get you and understand what you are saying

perhaps Grier was a bigger problem. Also Tua seemed to regress and always seems to be hurt (but that is just my opinion). Players seem to have loved Flores (at least that’s what the news said). It caught me by surprise, I thought he would get at least another year. Ross is as crazy as Dolan, just toys and hobbies

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

This is why it’s about quantity. You want a lot of lottery tickets. 

With a high quantity the thing that separates the good GMs from the bad ones is the percentage of the picks that end up being hits.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think in the case of the Vikings they just wanted a change. Spielman is a good GM and quite frankly would be a good hire for the Giants or Jaguars if they go that direction.

Miami is just doing what the Jets used to do.  This is great for the Jets.  I personally would want to see Flores, not Fangio, as Jets DC to set up a real 3-4 defense that thinks and schemes.   But I don't think that is happening.  

I think these grumpy old rich people are very difficult in meetings.   It is very hard for Grier to say that Tua upon further reflection is not going to be the guy that takes the Dolphins to the Super Bowl.  Flores wanted Grier to give up draft picks to get Watson-draft picks are Grier's job.  Ross being a corporate guy choose the more senior guy in the dispute, and next year he will be looking for a new GM with a HC with 4 more years on his contract.  Moronic really. 

Flores will likely have another HC offer.  And if he returns as a DC, I'm sure BB would happily take him back.

• Upvote 2

I don't think for a second that Ross would fire Flores without already having his replacement in his pocket.

I believe this was decided weeks ago if not longer. As far as the GM, he's got to be in on it and will do what the new coach coming has already decided...gonna be an interesting month in south beach.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Yep, fans are going crazy down here...the owner is in win now mode and he probably already has someone already lined up.  Don't be surprised to see Watson on this team next season and perhaps Antonio Brown too.  Brown is from down here and still lives here.  Owner is crazy enough to take a shot with him.

In my opinion the Dolphins are closer to "win now" if they keep Flores.

It's crazy that a 9-8 team that just beat a hungry playoff team in the Pats would think replacing the HC would help them take the next step to 10 or 11 wins.

• Upvote 2