Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

7 hours ago, Pac said:

Pretty disgraceful.  His wife has made a habit for years divulging the deepest secrets of their family including banging other dudes and Smith is going to snap over a GI Jane joke?

There is no honor in embarrassing himself, his family, and making everyone in that venue uncomfortable. 

Get a grip, jerkoff.  People in Ukraine are losing everything..  your wife lost her hair.  If you want to fight him backstage go for it. 

I can understand him standing up for his wife's medical condition, especially if we find out down the line it's a Chadwick situation.

That wasn't the time or place, felt more like a publicity stunt to help breath life back into the Oscar's 

You don't go up and bitch slap someone then immediately turn your back to them and walk away. Unless you know they aren't going to retaliate. You wouldn't know that unless it was staged. 

I don't know about you but I heard a lot of chatter about how people aren't watching the Oscars anymore leading up to this. Today everyone is talking about it.

It was staged. 100%.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You don't go up and bitch slap someone then immediately turn your back to them and walk away. Unless you know they aren't going to retaliate. You wouldn't know that unless it was staged. 

I don't know about you but I heard a lot of chatter about how people aren't watching the Oscars anymore leading up to this. Today everyone is talking about it.

It was staged. 100%.

In all fairness it’s Chris Rock. He’s not actually threatening lol

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It wasnt an inappropriate joke.  It was a joke, a good one for a couple who throw themselves and their kids into the public eye.  Rock looking at Jada with a short crew cut haircut said looking forward to you in "GI Jane 2"  Smith laughed, thought it over and slapped Rock, who hardly moved making me think it might be fake if it weren't for the long audio black out and ABC freezing the screen so you couldn't see anything else if it occurred or not.  

Smith has been having issues with the press over his wife's coming out as Bi, having relationships with another woman and now living in an open marriage.  Hes been unhinged for a while over this.  Bet he was thinking this was a lesbian joke, not an alopecia joke 

Make fun of someone's medical condition?  This wasn't a roast either (where more stuff is in play).  I think at best it's "borderline".  Regardless, Will Smith was way out of line.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Make fun of someone's medical condition?  This wasn't a roast either (where more stuff is in play).  I think at best it's "borderline".

Its hardly a medical condition that should leave a joke from a comedian off limits.  She looked like Demi Moore in GI Jane I.  

Think WS is having a hard time with the issues hes facing because of his wife's infidelity, lesbian infidelity after 25 years married and all that time presenting themselves as the most solid married couple in Hollywood.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It was staged. 100%.

Have a hard time believing that anyone would approve this, least of all Will Smith and Chris Rock.

I mean who came up with the idea? The Academy? The Producers? Whatever network it was on? Smith and Rock on their own?

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Did not watch this at all, BUT- Did the cameras pan to the Smiths immediately after the joke? If so, how did they know to do that so quickly. Not saying this was staged, but at least the crew would have known this was coming (reaction). Maybe I am wrong.

I’m pretty sure the producers know the speech before hand because they always pan to the butt of the joke on all  of these shows.

They knew what Rock was going to say, but didn’t know Smith was going to bitch out. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

As bizarre as the Will Smith "incident".  The weirdest moment was Lady Gaga presenting with Liza, who was shaking and incoherent in a wheelchair.  I hated seeing such a vibrant entertainer/show business icon like Liza in that condition.  

It was sad to see Liza look so incoherent and unaware of where she was.  When she couldn't get a name out of her mouth you could hear Lady Gaga whisper to her "I got you". and read the list for her.  

It was hard to watch.  Especially since Liza was there because it was the 60 year anniversary of Cabaret.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Did not watch this at all, BUT- Did the cameras pan to the Smiths immediately after the joke? If so, how did they know to do that so quickly. Not saying this was staged, but at least the crew would have known this was coming (reaction). Maybe I am wrong.

I don't watch these shows but this is the Oscars.  I'm sure they know to film the audience for reactions, especially with a comedian on stage.  They cut to Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem for his previous joke too.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

It was sad to see Liza look so incoherent and unaware of where she was.  When she couldn't get a name out of her mouth you could hear Lady Gaga whisper to her "I got you". and read the list for her.  

It just shocked me.  Like her or not, no one had more energy than Liza in her prime.  Now to see her like that?   Why put her out there? 

I'm not a big Gaga fan.  But appreciated her kindness telling Liza "I got you".   Class move.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its hardly a medical condition that should leave a joke from a comedian off limits.  She looked like Demi Moore in GI Jane I.  

Think WS is having a hard time with the issues hes facing because of his wife's infidelity, lesbian infidelity after 25 years married and all that time presenting themselves as the most solid married couple in Hollywood.  

Maybe you're right.  And I'm sure you're right about WS not being thrilled about his wife's infidelity.  That's brutal.  I think he probably inappropriately channeled his anger about that on Chris Rock.

Chris Rock handled it like a true champ.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, munchmemory said:

It just shocked me.  Like her or not, no one had more energy than Liza in her prime.  Now to see her like that?   Why put her out there? 

I'm not a big Gaga fan.  But appreciated her kindness telling Liza "I got you".   Class move.

My feelings about Liza to a tee.  I wasnt a great fan but her talent and vivacity and talent was undeniable.  

Gaga was and apparently is always said to be appreciative and kind to others, that was clearly apparent last night.  Good for her, like her or not

• Upvote 1

The idea that a woman who has the means to put on $100k worth of clothes and jewelry to make herself look “beautiful” is “struggling” with a disease who’s only symptom is cosmetic in nature is a joke. 

Also, alopecia in most people is triggered by psychological stress.  Maybe don’t cheat on your husband and your cushy life wouldn’t be so stressful. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe you're right.  And I'm sure you're right about WS not being thrilled about his wife's infidelity.  That's brutal.  I think he probably inappropriately channeled his anger about that on Chris Rock.

Think it was one of those instances where all the whispering and the jokes just came to a head.  

Have to give it to Rock, he just played off of it and continued ahead, even joked that the night made history of something to that effect

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

1. Oscar hosts and presenters historically roast attendees.

2. The cameras always go to them in the crowd. The know where they are, especially the nominees.

I’m not arguing that it was or wasn’t staged, just saying this is common. The jokes usually cut WAYYYYY deeper, too.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

The idea that a woman who has the means to put on $100k worth of clothes and jewelry to make herself look “beautiful” is “struggling” with a disease who’s only symptom is cosmetic in nature is a joke. 

Also, alopecia in most people is triggered by psychological stress.  Maybe don’t cheat on your husband and your cushy life wouldn’t be so stressful. 

Thank you.

And come on, I could see if she lost her hair to cancer and chemo, but stress after fallout of admitting your infidelity after 25 years of marriage, poised as a loving couple and cheating with a woman and all with what goes with that kind of admission?

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Chris Rock handled it like a champ.

Smith slapped him. Smith had been a hot mess over the last several years. Maybe that’s why Jada went and got that D elsewhere. Or maybe it’s because she did. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

1. Oscar hosts and presenters historically roast attendees.

2. The cameras always go to them in the crowd. The know where they are, especially the nominees.

I’m not arguing that it was or wasn’t staged, just saying this is common. The jokes usually cut WAYYYYY deeper, too.

Exactly.  There are multiple hand held stedicams circling the hall getting close ups and reaction shots.  EVERYONE knows they are there.  Watched the joke and reaction again.   Will laughed.

6 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Not to mention, Chris Rock made a movie about Black women and their hair to normalize and celebrate the natural beauty of it. For his daughters.

If he knew it was alopecia, I doubt he makes that joke. I think Will is lucky Ricky Gervais wasnt up there, he’d have doubled down.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1