Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Ok what if she gained 100 lbs? Thats not cancer or als either….

chris rock says, “ i see we have will smith and his wife. I hope the chair doesnt break for that big cow you married”

is that ok too? At the oscars?

this isnt a roast at the friars club

Yes. it's ok. 

Especially when you hire Chris Rock to be the host, whose done this for years to pretty much everyone.

I'll wager Will Smith has laughed at alot of similar jokes aimed at others over the years.  And made a fair few of his own.

And lets not pretend the Oscars and the Friars Club are all that far apart, lol.  All just ways for Hollywood actors to promote themselves.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It was an inappropriate joke but slapping the guy on live television?  Talk about a lack of self-control.  And Will Smith laughed after Chris Rock told the joke too.

EDIT: I didn't watch the Oscars btw.  I only watched the ~2 minute clip.

It wasn't the best joke, but all he did was make fun of her hair.

Will laughed, turned around, said, "Crap, I'm in trouble" got up and slapped Rock.

Then, he apparently won best actor, got up and cried, saying he's a river for his people or something like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I remember watching that Letterman show just to see Andy.  He had been pulling off a massive goof in the wrestling community which is still legendary.  Andy wrestling women, then baiting the crowd was inspired comedy only someone at his level could achieve.  

Kaufman is missed.   One of my all time comedy idols.  And I still believe he staged his own death and will just magically show up one day.  ?

Inter Gender Champion!!

Years later they asked Lawler who was the best heel he ever worked with.   "Kaufman!!!!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It wasnt an inappropriate joke.  It was a joke, a good one for a couple who throw themselves and their kids into the public eye.  Rock looking at Jada with a short crew cut haircut said looking forward to you in "GI Jane 2"  Smith laughed, thought it over and slapped Rock, who hardly moved making me think it might be fake if it weren't for the long audio black out and ABC freezing the screen so you couldn't see anything else if it occurred or not.  

Smith has been having issues with the press over his wife's coming out as Bi, having relationships with another woman and now living in an open marriage.  Hes been unhinged for a while over this.  Bet he was thinking this was a lesbian joke, not an alopecia joke 

He’s not unhinged, he’s a Scientologist. What he did is par for the course with these wingnuts. He did what he’s been indoctrinated to do. Watch Jaden send Jerry Seinfeld a letter of disconnection  now. 

• Upvote 1

Didn't watch the oscars but watched the 2 or so minute clip.

Crazy that Will Smith slapped him. I thought it was inappropriate for Smith to do that. A tasteless joke but you have to brush that off. When you go to a comedy show and sit in the front, expect to be teased.

Chris Rock will have some great material. A lot of comedian probably just cane up with a ton of new jokes. 

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes. it's ok. 

Especially when you hire Chris Rock to be the host, whose done this for years to pretty much everyone.

I'll wager Will Smith has laughed at alot of similar jokes aimed at others over the years.  And made a fair few of his own.

And lets not pretend the Oscars and the Friars Club are all that far apart, lol.  All just ways for Hollywood actors to promote themselves.

OK we can agree to disagree.

I dont watch awards show but when i was a kid I did and it was always light hearted.

I dont think you know what kind of brutality goes on in a friars club roast. Nothing is off the table. Its bad. This joke would have been OK at the friars club but really mean at this award thing. 

17 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He’s not unhinged, he’s a Scientologist. What he did is par for the course with these wingnuts. He did what he’s been indoctrinated to do. Watch Jaden send Jerry Seinfeld a letter of disconnection  now. 

Just to add, watch his acceptance speech again and tell me that it isn’t a direct sequel to Tom Cruise’s medal speech. “I’m trying to save this world with love!” Good lord pull yourself together man.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

So Will Smith doesn't have problem with a guy having his wife's cooch in their mouth, but does has a problem with a guy having her name in his mouth?  Go figure.

They’re friends. This isn’t Bret Hart spitting on Vince. 

Will Smith ruined his night he won an Oscar for best actor.  What a moron, and I like Will Smith. You can't have people smacking comedians on stage because they made a joke at the expense of you or someone you love. He should have shown restraint, as hard as that may have been, and planned a much better response to get even. Revenge is a dish best served cold and when they least expect it.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Its hardly a medical condition that should leave a joke from a comedian off limits.  She looked like Demi Moore in GI Jane I.  

Think WS is having a hard time with the issues hes facing because of his wife's infidelity, lesbian infidelity after 25 years married and all that time presenting themselves as the most solid married couple in Hollywood.  

Agreed. It’s easy to Monday morning QB that what Smith did was stupid (because it was) but we’ve all been in a moment like that where you’re caught off guard from disrespect: his response wasnt proportionate but he was in the heat of it. He was triggered from the things you mentioned.

I don’t love him as an actor but I like him as a person but he attacked the host and maybe he deserves banishment but the damage done to his reputation is already done and people will think of this incident forever. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and a moment to destroy one.

Chris Rock was wrong. Will Smith was more wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

OK we can agree to disagree.

I dont watch awards show but when i was a kid I did and it was always light hearted.

I dont think you know what kind of brutality goes on in a friars club roast. Nothing is off the table. Its bad. This joke would have been OK at the friars club but really mean at this award thing. 

Aye, we'll just have to agree to disagree on how "brutal" this joke was or wasn't.  I'm just not seeing the "brutal" here at all.  Certainly not enough to warrant the slap on live TV, that's an insane lack of self-control.

Look, I like Tom Cruise alot, he's one of my favorite actors and he's produced alot of my favorite movies.  But I'm under no illusion that he is the characters he plays, he's a nutter in real life of the highest order.

So is Will Smith.  He's not the Fresh Prince in real life, we don't need to pretend he is.  He's at least as nutty as Tom Cruise.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Alright… you guys have to put up a video of this. Please?

(if you do, I’ll not only thank you, I promise not to make fun of you for watching the Oscars)

Nobody watched the Oscar's, but when the Fresh Prince punches Pookie on live TV, it kinda blows up on these things called the Interwebs and the Social Medias.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

let’s remove any doubt. Hollywood man scolds normals for thinking it’s staged. 

What makes you think it's staged? I saw it live and the US broadcast was trying to censor sh*t, making the broadcast buffer. It was awkward as hell and Chris Rock was trying to keep his composure afterward. 

20 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Will Smith ruined his night he won an Oscar for best actor.  What a moron, and I like Will Smith. You can't have people smacking comedians on stage because they made a joke at the expense of you or someone you love. He should have shown restraint, as hard as they may have been, and planned a much better response to get even. Revenge is a dish best served cold and when they least expect it.

If they ever Roast Will Smith, they better have Police and Fire on standbye, and the Traumahawk Helo warmed up....

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Agreed. It’s easy to Monday morning QB that what Smith did was stupid (because it was) but we’ve all been in a moment like that where you’re caught off guard from disrespect: his response wasnt proportionate but he was in the heat of it. He was triggered from the things you mentioned.

I don’t love him as an actor but I like him as a person but he attacked the host and maybe he deserves banishment but the damage done to his reputation is already done and people will think of this incident forever. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and a moment to destroy one.

Chris Rock was wrong. Will Smith was more wrong.

Have you ever heard of anyone ever smacking a comedian at a comedy show? If you’ve been to comedy shows, could you imagine anyone going to the stage and smacking the comedian?

He likely needs a therapist. His response to a joke was not normal.

While this was an award show, when a comedian is on stage either hosting or presenting an award, that segment is essentially a comedy show.

• Upvote 1