Oline

Great draft so far… but we gotta talk about the oline. It is the glaring hole right now; some would argue LB too, but oline is a problem.  Some may disagree but we are one injury away from Conor McDermott or Dan Feeney.  Bechton has been injured more than he has been on the field; I am hopeful he has a bounce back year, but even the most optimistic folks out there need to recognize that the probability of him playing 17 games is dicey.  Fant had a big year for him, but he is pushing 30; can he replicate it?

So we enter day 3.  What are our options now?  Here is who intrigues me:

1) Zach Tom:  This gives us maximum flexibility as Tom can play both tackle and center… developmental prospect, but seems to fit the mold.  

2) Fallele: Is this Joe’s Jordan Mailata project?  Needs work, but dude is a big boy.

3) Darian Kinnard?  Not sure of the fit or upside.

Who else?  There are guard prospects out there but that’s not the priority.  We need center and tackle prospects.  

Anyone else on free agent scraps? Or are we looking at waiver wire?  Gonna go out on a limb and say that tackle will be a target in Round 1 next year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

One other thought: AVT is the wildcard here.  Can he kick out to tackle on the right?  Opens up the possibility of a developmental guard pick if the Jets think so.  Will be interesting to discuss if the Jets go with a guard prospect today instead of one with upside at tackle.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

?

We have a solid starting 5 but no depth behind those guys.

Starters: Fant-Tomlinson-McGovern-AVT-Becton

Backups: Feeney-GVR-McDermott ?

We need depth and guys to develop as both Fant (hopefully we resign him) and McGovern are FA next year. And Becton is a ?

I want us to take an OT and an iOL with our next two picks.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

?

We need depth and guys to develop as both Fant and McGovern are FA. Plus, Becton is a ?

Yes.  OL is NOT a glaring hole, not even close.  It's solid across the board.

But, as you stated, we're lacking in quality depth.  

There are still plenty of quality depth type OLmen in FA.  Not paying Deebo leaves some cash open to fill out the depth.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

10 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Great draft so far… but we gotta talk about the oline. It is the glaring hole right now; some would argue LB too, but oline is a problem.

The only issue, as you point out, is depth. All they really need is a backup RT and/or G because…

7 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

One other thought: AVT is the wildcard here.  Can he kick out to tackle on the right?  Opens up the possibility of a developmental guard pick if the Jets think so.  Will be interesting to discuss if the Jets go with a guard prospect today instead of one with upside at tackle.  

Yes, AVT could absolutely bounce out to RT. I’d be happy to bring Brandon Shell back. He’s a decent RT, probably better than his last run here. They could also sign an OG like Daryl Williams or Quinton Spain. There will be training camp cuts. There’s still two more picks here. The OL was never the glaring need that the OL-centric perceive it to be, and there’s always help available. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Zach Tom, T, Wake

Great foot speed, lack strength. He's been an iron man the past 3 seasons after moving from C to LT.

Kellen Diesch, LT, Arizona St

Graded out as one of the top Tackles in the country. Would make a great addition to our zone blocking scheme. He's already 24 years old and turning 25 later this year

Matt Waletzko, LT, North Dakota 

6'8, 312 lbs, two time starter. Strictly a potential pick.

Chris Paul, RT, Tulsa

3 year starter moving from LG to RT. More so of a potential pick as he has the physical tools to place it together.

Cordell Volson, RT, NDSU

3 year starters who has kicked in as a RG at times due to INJ

Guys that don't fit our scheme includes Jamaree Salyer and Darian Kinnard.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  OL is NOT a glaring hole, not even close.  It's solid across the board.

But, as you stated, we're lacking in quality depth.  

There are still plenty of quality depth type OLmen in FA.  Not paying Deebo leaves some cash open to fill out the depth.

Just took a look at the FAs left and you’re right there are some descent OL guys still available.

Going to be interesting to see what we do. The only holes I see on the team are starting FS, starting 1T DT (ie Foley’s replacement), LB and depth at OL. We have 2 picks and cap space to figure it out.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Just took a look at the FAs left and you’re right there are some descent OL guys still available.

Going to be interesting to see what we do. The only holes I see on the team are starting FS, starting 1T DT (ie Foley’s replacement), and depth at OL. We have 2 picks and cap space to figure it out.

I'm holding out hope we go out and get Honey Badger to fill that FS role...

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Zach Tom, T, Wake

Great foot speed, lack strength. He's been an iron man the past 3 seasons after moving from C to LT.

Kellen Diesch, LT, Arizona St

Graded out as one of the top Tackles in the country. Would make a great addition to our zone blocking scheme. He's already 24 years old and turning 25 later this year

Matt Waletzko, LT, North Dakota 

6'8, 312 lbs, two time starter. Strictly a potential pick.

Chris Paul, RT, Tulsa

3 year starter moving from LG to RT. More so of a potential pick as he has the physical tools to place it together.

Cordell Volson, RT, NDSU

3 year starters who has kicked in as a RG at times due to INJ

Guys that don't fit our scheme includes Jamaree Salyer and Darian Kinnard.

I notice you ignored the biggest of them all.  

I went to sleep last night with visions of Hall running behind a literal wall of Becton-Faalele while opposing Edge rushers get bounced on their butts.  Yeah, that may have been slightly bourbon-fueled, but it was fun.

• Sympathy 1

All they need to do is re-sign the doctor, or another player equivalent, and the line is set.

-Edoga and McDermott struggled as starters, but who was playing alongside them?  They'll have good players next to and quality tight ends that can help out.  Edoga is a tackle that our o-line guru was saying is a ten year starter.  Maybe he continues to get a little better?

Even so, most team's third and fourth tackles are bad.  

-Feeney played well when forced into the game.

This is a top ten unit that will only get better with experience. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

the last 2 picks need to be the following...  Winfrey, Brandon Smith, or OL and this will go down as the draft of all drafts... Not sure what is still left in FA, but I could do with Winfrey and Smith, and go shopping for OL in FA, or works the other way as well. No matter this has been a good draft.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

?

We need depth and guys to develop as both Fant (hopefully we resign him) and McGovern are FA next year. And Becton is a ?

Backup OT Edoga 

But yes need OL in 4th

The starters should an excellent group but they lack the necessary depth. There are players still available through free agency. The Jets are in a great spot to land two more good players in the draft.

all is well.

Also, it’s Becton, not Bechton. This goes for many of you.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

the last 2 picks need to be the following...  Winfrey, Brandon Smith, or OL and this will go down as the draft of all drafts... Not sure what is still left in FA, but I could do with Winfrey and Smith, and go shopping for OL in FA, or works the other way as well. No matter this has been a good draft.

I'm with you on positions:

Winfrey and Beavers 

• Haha 1

I don’t know the deal with Feeney.  He was terrible in camp and pre-season.  I guess he is like a relief pitcher who can come in.

For the life of me I don’t understand why guys like Dru Samia and Ross P, who played for top schools, can’t supplant guys like GVR and Feeney. 

But at this time last year the Savior Morgan Moses was not on the roster.   JD is not drafting BPA with these next two picks-he is drafting Best OL/S/LB Available.  In the top of the 4th round those two players will be better than two players on our roster.  Hopefully from there we can fill in with vets like Honey Badger, Kwon and others.  

But as is obvious, when the Jets gave up lottery picks to move up and draft guys like JJ2 and Breece Hall, they were saying that they mean business this year.  We are not playing for a high draft pick next year.   JD needs to spend the Deebo/Tyreek fund on quality depth/hold-the-fort guys so that the Jets are playing meaningful games in….let’s start with early November.  

If I am JD I am taking the Best Available T at 111, although it could end up Perrion W.  Maybe 4th Rd is OL and DL.   They can fill in on the smaller guys.  

• Upvote 1

Not sure what some people expect.  We are not going to have 7starting caliber OL.  Best you can hope for is 5 solid starters, 1 or 2 back-up level guys and a couple of younger developmental guys.  With 5 solid starters, two career back-ups with some starting experinece and several younger guys, we are in better shape than most. 

I would love to see a young, developmental guy added today, but to expect that a 4th round rookie is going to come in and replace one of our starters does not seem like a realistic expectation.  I would love to see a guy like Jemaree Salyer added today.  Played both G and T for the Dawgs, so he gives us a developmntal guy at both spots.  He handled Aidan Hutchinson with little help in the Orange Bowl this year.  And I really want us to add a Dawg, especially after seeing James Cook and Channing Tindall go to division rivals yesterday.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

All they need to do is re-sign the doctor, or another player equivalent, and the line is set.

-Edoga and McDermott struggled as starters, but who was playing alongside them?  They'll have good players next to and quality tight ends that can help out.  Edoga is a tackle that our o-line guru was saying is a ten year starter.  Maybe he continues to get a little better?

Edoga is only 24 years old. Whereas many of the guys I named are 23. He should be able to do for now. 

Then you consider that our next pick can possibly be an impact LB over a depth T. 

12 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

OL remains an issue, at least IMO. JD elected to prioritize elsewhere. I’m OK. Depth is available today and afterwards, but the unit as it stands is a worry for me.

Still very happy with our efforts in FA and the draft.

Although my guess is that Renkert was the highest rated player on their board (I would also guess that the Jets PR team put in a good word), my other guess is that the Jets did not like the players available 5th round and below.  I also guess that the remaining OL last night did not have 3rd round grades.  There are enough needs on this team, both this year and next year.   My guess is that the Jets will take the two players they have rated highest that do not play QB, TE, RB, EDGE, or CB.   That is progress for the JEts, because at this time last year they needed any good player at any position.  

Edoga is bad and can't stay healthy.  McDermott is a JAG.  JD will likely sign a veteran free agent OT to back up Fant and Becton, who missed a combined 18 games last year.  Maybe add a developmental OT today to compete with the JAGs as the 4th tackle?

And/or draft a developmental C like Lindstrom?

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

the bold is right.

we cant have all star backups everywhere. and i dont think we carry more than 7-8 total OL. so this is it guys. this is the OL going into the season.

i expect maybe a draft pick and some UDFAs but those guys are probably PS guys. i dont think you want some 4th or 5th rd rookie replacing Becton or anybody. 

4 hours ago, the Claw said:

The starters should an excellent group but they lack the necessary depth. There are players still available through free agency. The Jets are in a great spot to land two more good players in the draft.

all is well.

Also, it’s Becton, not Bechton. This goes for many of you.

I was wondering if, at this point, people just misspelled his name on purpose. Maybe as a running joke or something. There was a post the other day that had it misspelled 3 times, different way each time. Weird. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Max Mitchell has me excited. The guy is so good at run blocking and his frame looks like a good pass blocking tackle. I loved him before the senior bowl and soured on him because he got brutalized but his game film is so nice.

Good to hear from a savvy prospect guy. These types of picks are very difficult to assess early on.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Max Mitchell has me excited. The guy is so good at run blocking and his frame looks like a good pass blocking tackle. I loved him before the senior bowl and soured on him because he got brutalized but his game film is so nice.

Do you see him as a potential long term guy at RT once he gets a little seasoning on the bench? 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Do you see him as a potential long term guy at RT once he gets a little seasoning on the bench? 

On 11/30/2021 at 10:13 AM, kdels62 said:

Max Mitchell- Right Tackle- Louisiana Raging Caguns

He’s PFF’s highest graded tackle in college football. So I checked him out and I came out super impressed. He’s a lean “tackle only” type of player. He’s listed at 6’-6” 297 LB so he has room to fill out his frame but should I don’t know if he should. Super long arms and good balance, he rarely loses the movement battle in the pass game. Uses his hands and arms well and extends his arms to their limit to control pass rushers. The surprising thing for me was his play strength. He drives in the run game and moves defenders. He does struggle a bit getting outside on true pass sets and sometimes he loses leverage and can only stand up defenders rather than moving them. His recovery ability seems to lack a little bit. Evan Neal’s greatest strength is that he doesn’t need to be perfect to win a rep, Max Mitchell almost needs perfection every play. 

He’s gonna be at the senior bowl which should help gauge his relative play strength so I’m very excited. 

Round grade: 2/3 

This is what I had on him before the predraft process really kicked in. 

The Senior Bowl really killed his momentum. He struggled with play strength and quickness. Lost a lot of 1v1s and then got handled in the game by the Jets defense which was dominant. With the pre-draft process you have to wonder if he was worried too much about bulking up/ learning pro sets that his performance suffered. 

• Sympathy 1