Mike Francesca: Not impressed with Saleh

On 5/13/2022 at 8:57 PM, slats said:

^ Mangenius fan. Talk about the king of phonies…

In a league where no one wants to play for the Jets, the players who know Saleh were the ones who signed in free agency.

Yes, and who can forget the Ronald Blair Era? Who are these players who came here for Saleh? Laken Tomlinson? 

Saleh preaches “All Gas No Brakes,” then runs camp for poofs, lets Becton do what he wants, and we’re all set for a second consecutive redshirt season hoping nobody notices that Bob is going to have a hard time matching the nine wins the reviled Adam Gase notched in his first two seasons despite having an exponentially better roster than Gase did. 

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, and who can forget the Ronald Blair Era? Who are these players who came here for Gase? Laken Tomlinson? 
Saleh preaches “All Gas No Brakes,” then runs camp for poofs, lets Becton do what he wants, and we’re all set for a second consecutive redshirt season hoping nobody notices that Bob is going to have a hard time matching the nine wins the reviled Adam Gase notched in his first two seasons despite having an exponentially better roster than Gase did. 

I was only gonna post in the thread because I saw the comments and was going to reply that I’m glad the only one around here who cares about this blowhard’s opinions is T0m - only to see that you not only agreed with this windbag, but felt the need to amplify further. He’s a perfect example of the fake tough guys you love. Watch me yell over this caller then hang up on him, I’m so badass! 

Off the top of my head, Tomlinson, Thomas, and Reed all cited Saleh as a major reason to come to this godforsaken franchise, and there were probably others. One of the things that pissed off your guy, Deshaun Watson, was that the Texans were the only team with an opening that year that didn’t schedule an interview with him. This was the hottest coach of that cycle and he came here because of Joe Douglas. You can credit Gase with bringing JD if you like, I don’t care, I’m just happy with the resulting coaching change. 

And as for camps for poofs, I’m pretty sure that exact language was written into the current CBA, something of which I know you’re aware. Voluntary camps are voluntary, nothing the coaches can do about it. Not having his draft picks bang heads with 50 tryout guys looking to make any impression they can? I think that’s probably not the worst idea. Time will tell with Becton. They seem to feel they’ve pressed the right buttons with both him and Mims. I look forward to seeing. 

Saleh just needs five wins to match Gase’s stellar run here, and even Vegas thinks that’s likely. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

I actually think mike is right about sensing immaturity in the old school sense but I don’t think that is a bad thing.  In this day and age in all businesses, things you would deem as immature at one time can still be very successful.  To me jokingly screaming sauce can be seen as a bit immature by the old board but that kind of thing is accepted now and  again  mutually exclusive ion whether you can be successfull.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, undertow said:

I mean teams ran for 300 yards a game against us last year and he's a defensive coach...I'm as hopefully as anyone but he didn't exactly coach like Vince Lombardi last year. 

It really felt like the '85 Bears heading into the season tho....

1591053073_Screenshot2022-05-14135352.thumb.png.ce88ad34c0b15ad912431412403c2d60.png

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I really like Joe D so far ... Saleh .... Jury is out but he has made a couple decisions that make me scratch my head ... so far... Pete Carrol without the wins.

Hate Mike F .... but he is not wrong on this yet.

Hope he eats his words this season.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Immaturity is one word for it. Insecurity is another. The position of NFL head coach is an adult’s job and players smell a phony from a mile away. Francesa said the same thing about Rex and he was spot on about that one, too. 

Big difference.  Everything about Rex was nonsensical and goofy

Nothing about Saleh is nonsensical or goofy.  Nothing says hes immature other than he hasn't matured as a HC as in hes experienced.  Somehow I doubt Francessa said this in the way its being portrayed.  And why I asked for a link.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeJetFan said:

I’m personally really happy Mike F and Joe B are back on the airwaves. They are my two favorite sports personalities. I also like Colin Cowherd and Mike Greenberg

Which explains the trolling thread

Now where's that link?

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Big difference.  Everything about Rex was nonsensical and goofy

Nothing about Saleh is nonsensical or goofy.  Nothing says hes immature other than he hasn't matured as a HC as in hes experienced.  Somehow I doubt Francessa said this in the way its being portrayed.  And why I asked for a link.  

An emailer asked Francesa to elaborate on why he’s skeptical of Saleh and Mike used most of the answer to say that he’s been out of the game and he doesn’t know or talk to the “new guys” anymore, but that he senses an “immaturity” from the staff (not just Saleh). Didn’t provide specifics. Having listened to Francesa for the decades that I have, my guess is that he’s referring to the fact that the staff is largely made up of very young, very unaccomplished coaches, and Mike’s skepticism comes from Saleh not having at least one old hand around to help them figure anything out. IMO, a very fair criticism. Ulbrich was the only guy on the staff other than Saleh with coordinator experience, and that came in one season as DC for the 4-12 Atlanta Falcons, who finished 29th in yards surrendered and 19th in points. Even Saleh’s record as a coordinator is dubious considering Saleh’s defense had the one year of elite production and then he was replaced by a guy who’s been better than he was. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

An emailer asked Francesa to elaborate on why he’s skeptical of Saleh and Mike used most of the answer to say that he’s been out of the game and he doesn’t know or talk to the “new guys” anymore, but that he senses an “immaturity” from the staff (not just Saleh). Didn’t provide specifics. Having listened to Francesa for the decades that I have, my guess is that he’s referring to the fact that the staff is largely made up of very young, very unaccomplished coaches, and Mike’s skepticism comes from Saleh not having at least one old hand around to help them figure anything out. IMO, a very fair criticism. 

Tony Oden and John Benton have 20 years of NFL experience.  Gregg Knapp had a ton of experience but unfortunately he passed away.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

An emailer asked Francesa to elaborate on why he’s skeptical of Saleh and Mike used most of the answer to say that he’s been out of the game and he doesn’t know or talk to the “new guys” anymore, but that he senses an “immaturity” from the staff (not just Saleh). Didn’t provide specifics. Having listened to Francesa for the decades that I have, my guess is that he’s referring to the fact that the staff is largely made up of very young, very unaccomplished coaches, and Mike’s skepticism comes from Saleh not having at least one old hand around to help them figure anything out. IMO, a very fair criticism. 

It’s actually not. He had that and the guy got killed in a freak accident like a month out of the season starting. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It’s actually not. He had that and the guy got killed in a freak accident like a week out of the season starting. 

So like the Greg Knapp thing is weird because they originally replaced him with Cavanaugh, then brought in Beck at midseason, then lost both of those guys, and now it’s just Calabrese. If Knapp was this great key to unlock Wilson, wouldn’t they have gone out since and found another guy at this point?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Position coaches

I still have no clue what to make of Saleh, but, his coordinators aren’t old enough and he’s soft because he can’t convince Becton to bail on his pregnant girlfriend? These are the hills you’re prepared to die on? This is starting to make me miss your romance novelizations of grand jury hearings. 

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

All that matters is what the players think. I thought Fat Mike retired, had no idea he was podcasting like thousands of other wannabees. 

Players thought REX  was great…….  He could never focus long enough like a TRUE HC.  Management is a lonely place at times.  I hope Saleh can do better than REX.  So far, he reminds me of REX but with MUCH less experience. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So like the Greg Knapp thing is weird because they originally replaced him with Cavanaugh, then brought in Beck at midseason, then lost both of those guys, and now it’s just Calabrese. If Knapp was this great key to unlock Wilson, wouldn’t they have gone out since and found another guy at this point?

I don’t think there is any key to unlock Wilson and I also think we vastly overrate coaching. Wilson’s good or he isn’t and Saleh nor the coaches are going to change that. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I still have no clue what to make of Saleh, but, his coordinators aren’t old enough and he’s soft because he can’t convince Becton to bail on his pregnant girlfriend? These are the hills you’re prepared to die on? This is starting to make me miss your romance novelizations of grand jury hearings. 

I am an avowed Saleh hater because of his hack benching of Mike White and what that means for the supposed meritocracy inside 1 Florham Park. All else is window dressing. The Browns are +1800 to get to the Super Bowl, despite my haphazard relationship with LSAT prep. 

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don’t think there is any key to unlock Wilson and I also think we vastly overrate coaching. Wilson’s good or he isn’t and Saleh nor the coaches are going to change that. 

Have you not seen Whiplash with Miles Teller?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder with Beck how much of that is to let Zach train all offseason with him. I haven't followed it but hopefully that is the case.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I feel like this post was plagiarized from the Jetsconfidential guy when he wouldn’t let the Brooks Bollinger thing go

We aren’t talking about Mike White proper. We’re talking about the idea of Mike White. 

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I wonder with Beck how much of that is to let Zach train all offseason with him. I haven't followed it but hopefully that is the case.

I am of the belief that Steve Young is doing a lot of advocating for Zach Wilson behind the scenes and is his de facto handler who tells Joe Douglas what he needs to do to keep Team Wilson happy. It is likewise my belief that Team Wilson wanted Zach to be a 49er, and Douglas has to make concessions to get Team Wilson to allow their darling child to be here in the first place. The Niners spent a ton to get to #3 with the hope that Team Wilson could force Douglas’ hand. Beck’s weird signing was one of those concessions.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I am of the belief that Steve Young is doing a lot of advocating for Zach Wilson behind the scenes and is his de facto handler who tells Joe Douglas what he needs to do to keep Team Wilson happy. It is likewise my belief that Team Wilson wanted Zach to be a 49er, and Douglas has to make concessions to get Team Wilson to allow their darling child to be here in the first place. The Niners spent a ton to get to #3 with the hope that Team Wilson could force Douglas’ hand. Beck’s weird signing was one of those concessions.

Weird.  The Jets have done so well with QBs.