Is anyone else talking themselves into the Jets being good this season after swearing to never do that again?

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The crazies are the majority of jet fans.  They wanted Lafluer fired by week 5 of last year. They think Saleh stinks and want him fired.  A week before the draft they wanted Joe Douglas fired.  They think Post UK Woody should sell the team.

I think you are allowing the extremes to define the general.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, elvispookie said:

I am much worse... I allow myself to get excited... then I watch 1 quarter of game 1, and when we have a few 3 and outs I immediately switch to us never winning again. 0-16.  Happens quick.

Honesty isn’t valued by many but it is by me. Just wanted you to know that.

17 hours ago, jgb said:

Lol you may be right but we already know empirically that Mitch is dangerous:

Mitch Trubisky enjoys a 115 rating, 84% completion percentage and 2:0 TD:INT ratio in two games against Saleh's defense (with vastly superior personnel in SF).

agree... but as a beaten down Jets fan....I am scared as f**** facing any backup or rookie QB, especially making their first start.   

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, pajet said:

agree... but as a beaten down Jets fan....I am scared as f**** facing any backup or rookie QB, especially making their first start.   

I hear you, I understand you, and I empathize with you, amigo.

Mitch has an 84% completion percentage against Saleh defenses. Watch Pickett have 94%!

• Haha 3

For years it just didn't look like the Jets were operating like a real NFL team. I mean all those years of Woody Johnson having to ask the league to appoint someone to help them find GMs and HC's. Then there was the last one that really took the cake where The Johnsons end up taking Peyton Manning's advice to hire that wacko Adam Gase, proving that what a lot of us had been fearing about them all along: that Yes Virginia, They ARE idiots.

Then, wait a minute, they did WHAT, they hired Joe Douglas and he fired that Head Coach and brought in Saleh without any league intervention this time? Could it be that they are finally starting to learn how to do this Pro Football thing? I'll tell you though what has really brought me back to the fold was watching that 5 part Flight Deck series  and seeing  the Jets starting to operate like a real NFL franchise, it wasn't just Owner, GM, HC, now there were other people being heard from who are helping to cook the stew.

What it reminded me of was the documentary "Hitsville: The Making of Motown". Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson told how the label would have these quality control meetings where its top people, from Berry Gordy to the artists, writers, producers, studio engineers, managers, A&R folk all "down" to a secretary in the front office where they'd present a song to see how the room felt about each one, and they would vote on whether they thought it would be a hit and if it should be released as a single or not. Everybody's voice was heard, and no one's held more sway over the others.

This is how the NEW New York Jets are doing their business these days-like a real NFL-caliber football team and we saw it during free agency and the draft. No longer does it seem like some spoiled rich kids' hobby, where they're trading and flipping baseball cards and not knowing the difference between putting a Dick Groat or a 58' Mantle in the spokes of the bike, not even knowing whether they should even do it or not.

I will temper my optimism by saying that the Jets are going to need some luck and some help from the League itself. The Jets are going to need a lot of these touchy-feely calls to start going their way and those late hits on our QBs that have cost us way too often for it to just be bad breaks, when we see the same calls being made against us and then we lose our starting QB on late hits after late hit-and Ryan Fitzpatrick being the only Jets QB to play a whole season in the past decade it's got to stop. We DESERVE some help like we've watched a team in our division being coddled and even allowed to cheat for way too many seasons, how about this loyal fanbase being given a few breaks for a change? If that happens...  

So yea, the clock reads 00:03 seconds left and I'm lining up once again for that FG attempt like Good 'Ol Charlie Brown with Lucy as my holder.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Offseason, FA, Draft, PS is the only time us Jets fans can celebrate and hope and dream. Don't take that from us!

End of the day there are too many 'ifs' in peoples replies to this thread. IF Zack plays good, IF players come back from injury, IF Becton doesn't weight 420 pounds, IF our excellent rookie class can contribute, IF Saleh's defense can take a big step...then we have a shot!

Realistically I expect the team to play much better this season. Jets will be fun to watch. 5 to 7 wins seems spot on, with most of those coming in the 2nd half of the season. Which, in turn, will lead to fan excitement for the 2023 season.

39 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Offseason, FA, Draft, PS is the only time us Jets fans can celebrate and hope and dream. Don't take that from us!

End of the day there are too many 'ifs' in peoples replies to this thread. IF Zack plays good, IF players come back from injury, IF Becton doesn't weight 420 pounds, IF our excellent rookie class can contribute, IF Saleh's defense can take a big step...then we have a shot!

Realistically I expect the team to play much better this season. Jets will be fun to watch. 5 to 7 wins seems spot on, with most of those coming in the 2nd half of the season. Which, in turn, will lead to fan excitement for the 2023 season.

^ Most realistic take on the board. My only peeve is that I won't be happy at 5-12 at all.  Not so much 6-11 either unless I see a terrific upturn in Wilson's play from last year.  Looking at that schedule, 7 wins is not asking too much from this young team. 

• Upvote 2

I get the whole tough schedule and in a tough division and that we could be much better and still not go over the 5.5 wins that Vegas thinks is the correct number.

I get all that but screw it.  I think we will be much better and in the mathematic conversation for a WC until late in the year.

8 wins, maybe 9. Wilson in the conversation for the most improved player.

3 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

the Jets starting to operate like a real NFL franchise, it wasn't just Owner, GM, HC, now there were other people being heard from who are helping to cook the stew.

What it reminded me of was the documentary "Hitsville: The Making of Motown". Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson told how the label would have these quality control meetings where its top people, from Berry Gordy to the artists, writers, producers, studio engineers, managers, A&R folk all "down" to a secretary in the front office where they'd present a song to see how the room felt about each one, and they would vote on whether they thought it would be a hit and if it should be released as a single or not. Everybody's voice was heard, and no one's held more sway over the others.

This is very true. I am very excited about JD but still in prove it mode with Saleh and his staff. I hear way too much "system" talk and not enough adapting to the players you have.

To your point though I honestly think the low point of my entire Jets fandom was watching day 3 of the draft and seeing McCoffee completely alone in our draft room.

As a fan I think the Jets talent this year is WAY higher than people realize. We have a playoff level roster. If we stay healthy, we will be right there. I also believe the Bills are maybe not as dominant as people think. Allen rightfully so does not play in the regular season as he does in the postseason and it is tough to be exceptional every year.

I'm always optomistic until the Jets are mathematically eliminated from the SB hunt.   On the other hand I'm very comfortable with the idea that the NFL every year has a lot of really crappy teams in the SB hunt deep into the playoffs. 

5 hours ago, FootballLove said:

5 wins will not be fun but I agree with the point you’re trying to make. 

10 hours ago, Dcat said:

^ Most realistic take on the board. My only peeve is that I won't be happy at 5-12 at all.  Not so much 6-11 either unless I see a terrific upturn in Wilson's play from last year.  Looking at that schedule, 7 wins is not asking too much from this young team. 

Ya for sure, 5 wins would not be a fun season, but it's on the radar. 7 wins would be good. I know that's not GREAT, but it would show some good progress. And if most of those wins come in the 2nd half, we could go out on a 6-2, 7-3 kind of record. 

We like talking about Zack taking a big step in year 2. That will be the case with our rookie class next season...expecting them to take a big step in year 2 as well. This will be a good 'grow year', with 2023 being the pay-off year. Or so it seems....

• Upvote 1

On 6/16/2022 at 4:51 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

What am I doing? This is going to end horribly.

Maybe it will but I can't help myself. It's all going to come down to whether you trust Zach or you don't and while I've been critical I think he has what it takes to make a big turn around.