Is anyone else talking themselves into the Jets being good this season after swearing to never do that again?

All I want is 7-9-1 or better. I can see the if everything falls into place scenario, but I can’t allow myself to buy into that sorta thing. If anything, I’m talking myself out of it. 

• Upvote 2

Again, what has happen in the past has no bearing on what happens under Douglas + Saleh.  Throw in Post UK Woody and we have one of the best owner/gm/coach combinations in the league.

Do you see in the do umentary what nfl heavyweights like adam schefter, daniel jerimiah and todd mcshay have to say whats transpiring in florham park?

This thread should be renamed, if you dont think the jets are going to be good this season you are blind.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Wow.  I am really surprised by the optimism in this thread.  I think we are heading in the right direction, but I have thought that before.  Until we are good again, I find it hard to believe we will be good.  I am excited for the season, look forward to getting togther with friends to watch games, go to a couple in person.  See what some of the young guys can do, should be a fun season.  Hoping to be surprised, but I am not expecting a good team. 

We could start 8-0 and I would probably still fear the 9 game losing streak to close out the season.

Paul Maguire can't hurt you anymore

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just hope the season isn’t over before October .  The Jets season has too many times been over very early, and they have played too many  non competitive  games - especially in there own division.         It’s imperative this Jet team gets off to a fast start next season, and finally give there fan base something to look for this season, and seasons to come.    

I expect this team to be competing for a playoff spot.

I haven't said or believed that for 6 years.  JD had a plan and he's executed as laid out.   This was always going to be the year the Jets started competing.

There are still a ton of questions marks - the two biggest are ZW and health - but there are many others.

With that said, there's enough depth and positives sign that it's tough to see this team not being competitive this year.  If ZW shows even modest gains and they stay mostly healthy - I would expect a playoff birth.

• Upvote 1

I would love to see something to be positive about. I didn't like the Moore pick and was non-commital on Carter and didn't know what to think of Zach mostly because he played for a school that never played ranked teams. Then Moore started to look really good and got hurt and missed a lot of games. Same for Carter. He looked undersized and I figured he wouldn't stand up to the pounding a RB takes, then he looked really good and then he got hurt and missed a lot of games as well. Now we have Gardner, Wilson, and Hall. All if these players look like football players so there is that. I'm actually very excited to see Hall. I think he is going to be Kareem Hunt for us. Wilson  and Sauce, I'm hopeful but this team has been so bad at picking players and having them be rookie flops, I'm just waiting to see them before getting all giddy. 

9 hours ago, pajet said:

Paul Maguire can't hurt you anymore

Its not just Paul Maguire.  Its more the weight of the last 12 years.  Nothing has gone right for this team for a decade.  I am cautiously optimistic, but I need to see it on the field before I will fully buy in. 

We need to be a good team before I will believe we will be a good team.  If that makes any sense.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The problem is that every time I think this way the Jets roundhouse kick me right in balls. Decades upon decades of getting punted in the nuts and I’m talking myself into it happening again. 

Just admit it. You like the pain.

36 minutes ago, The Troll said:

I just want to see a team that doesn't suck. The playoffs are a delusion in this loaded ass conference.

I agree.  There is a difference between hope and expectation.  I am not sitting around with a playoff mandate and I am far from  telling everybody that we will get there this year.  OTOH, as far as hope goes, rational Bengals fans probably felt exactly that way coming into 2021.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, slats said:

All I want is 7-9-1 or better. I can see the if everything falls into place scenario, but I can’t allow myself to buy into that sorta thing. If anything, I’m talking myself out of it. 

Same. I am an optimist and I really love this team, but they are still very young in a brutal conference with the Bills at the top of our division. It's unrealistic to expect a playoff team, but I would be very happy if we were 6-6 late in the year with some games that mattered late.

• Upvote 2

I guess it depends how you're personally defining "good". 

As in one of the better teams in the conference? Not a chance, imo. Good for a Jets team? Sure, I'm totally with that. If this team ends up falling into the middle 3rd of the league, I feel like it would be a very successful season. 

Low expectations are the key to happiness!

Hope, however, is a powerful drug!

Love what JD has done; love Saleh’s leadership; love the players and optimism in the building.

Hinges on Zach, so hoping he takes the leap… and over indexing on any positive signs that I can latch onto…

My expectations are still low (6-7 wins), but my hopes are high (playoffs)!

• Upvote 1