Becton delivers early statement in camp…

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/89954/absolutely-grinding-new-york-jets-big-man-mekhi-becton-delivers-early-statement-in-camp

2. Young buck(eye): Rookie wide receiver Garrett Wilson has all sorts of talent, but he hit a lull when the pads went on. That often happens to young receivers because the cornerbacks get more physical at the line of scrimmage.

Another observation: The former Ohio State star is very hard on himself. If he doesn't come down with a ball, even a contested ball, he's visibly frustrated. He acknowledged as much, saying, "I hold myself to a really high standard." That can be a double-edged sword. You want a player who demands greatness of himself, but you don't want him to start pressing. He said some of his fellow receivers are helping him navigate the rough patches.

Liking everything I'm reading about GW so far.

3. Trade? The Jets have solid depth at wide receiver -- at least six deep -- which could make them a popular team later in the preseason when trading starts to heat up. The Denver Broncos and Dallas Cowboys already have lost key receivers to significant camp injuries -- Tim Patrick and James Washington, respectively -- so they could be looking. The obvious trade candidate would be Denzel Mims. He’s having a solid camp, but it could be a numbers game. Right now, he’s no better than fifth or sixth in the pecking order.

Mims said he’s worthy of a starting role, claiming, “I show it every day. It’s up to them if they play me or not.” Sounds like someone who might not be happy in a backup role.

I have a bad feeling JD is going to just dump Mimsy and then he's going to turn into a player.  His rookie year, after he got healthy, he looked like a solid WR to me.  I don't see why he can't get back to that and then improve from there.  I really hope he sticks around.  His trade value can't be very high right now anyway so what would be the point of trading him right now anyway?

4. Painting Canton green? There could be a big Jets presence in Canton, Ohio, next summer if Joe Klecko and Darrelle Revis, arguably the two best defensive players in franchise history, are selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Klecko is one of 12 finalists in the senior category and Revis is on the modern-era ballot for the first time, which triggers a question: Could the Jets be chosen to play in the 2023 Hall of Fame Game? It's definitely something to watch for, considering they haven't played in the game since 1992.

The Jets added a HOF presence in Mike White.  Now it's starting to catch on.  This franchise should be indebted to the man.  Trade Flacco and sign Mike White to a long-term deal.

10. The last word: "The expectations, to a man, have to be the best defense in the league. ... What's the point of showing up to the race if you're going to say, 'Third is cool'?" -- defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins

The #3 overall defense in the NFL would be more than cool with me.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets used three 'backers only 30% of the time last season, so you wonder if they'll find a way to give Alexander some run in the nickel package (two linebackers). As Saleh said, "He's definitely making it hard to keep him off the field."

Maybe that number will go up, rather than remain the same, now that there are three worthy LB's to put on the field. Especially because Alexander is not a liability in coverage.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How low is the bar for a former 11th overall pick when the best thing you can say about him is that he’s participating in training camp?

Curiously omitted are the 10+ sacks he allowed in those 8 practices. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

The whole team needs to keep chipping away at the doubts and no one will be complaining anymore. I was a Becton supporter, but the doubters have nothing to complain about right now, Becton is doing what he needs to do. Good news for all and a much better experience reading these boards so far this August. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bungaman said:

The Jets used three 'backers only 30% of the time last season, so you wonder if they'll find a way to give Alexander some run in the nickel package (two linebackers). As Saleh said, "He's definitely making it hard to keep him off the field."

Maybe that number will go up, rather than remain the same, now that there are three worthy LB's to put on the field. Especially because Alexander is not a liability in coverage.

I've been pleasantly surprised at how often his name is mentioned in tweets. Haven't seen them mention any of the other LBs nearly as often. I take it with a grain of salt but it'll be something to look forward to in preseason and joint practices as we ramp up to the real season. If he can come in and make an impact, woah. Big win for us. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Not saying Becton is free of any blame but the fact that many people here thought he’d never play another snap with us just shows you that at least 25% of our fan base is allergic to thinking.

Except this was never a thing. I am one of the biggest anti-Becton people on here, if not THE biggest, and even I never said he would never play another snap for the Jets. 

I did however say that the moment he went out of that game that he would miss the season, and I got roasted for it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Curiously omitted are the 10+ sacks he allowed in those 8 practices. 

It’s gotta be a drag to be one of the veteran OL guys in this team—Laken Tomlinson, Connor McGovern, even AVT—who show up every day, put in the work, grind your ass off to stay in shape, and you have to watch an entire organization circle the wagons to treat a mushy-soft 6’7”, 380 man-child like a suckling baby solely because he was a high pick once.

• Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s gotta be a drag to be one of the veteran OL guys in this team—Laken Tomlinson, Connor McGovern, even AVT—who show up every day, put in the work, grind your ass off to stay in shape, and you have to watch an entire organization circle the wagons to treat a mushy-soft 6’7”, 380 man-child like a suckling baby solely because he was a high pick once.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Jets reached out to Cimini and asked him to dial it back about Becton in exchange for a future scoop. 

4 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Becton himself saying his goal is to make skeptics "eat their words." There's a lot of football to be played, but this is an early win for the Jets.

So he showed up to mini camp out of shape, and his detractors words motivated him. Good, don't put us in the position of having to question your desire as a pro again. Clearly he needed the criticism, or else he may have come into camp out of shape again as he did last year. Some of these guys get drafted and think they made it when in reality the hard work is just getting started as their physical gifts alone aren't enough at the big show level as they were previously.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the Jets reached out to Cimini and asked him to dial it back about Becton in exchange for a future scoop. 

There was also that weird bit in the hacky “pleasant surprises” article about Becton being in “excellent shape with a great attitude!” No reporter covers a team like that using that language. That’d be Eric Allen territory. I think it’s consistent with Saleh’s MO to motivate with positivity, and it seems there’s a clear directive to gas up Becton at every turn to see if they can get anything out of him. We know for a fact that Becton is overly sensitive to negative criticism, and I’d imagine that any type of hard coaching would literally put him on the IR.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There was also that weird bit in the hacky “pleasant surprises” article about Becton being in “excellent shape with a great attitude!” No reporter covers a team like that using that language. That’d be Eric Allen territory. I think it’s consistent with Saleh’s MO to motivate with positivity, and it seems there’s a clear directive to gas up Becton at every turn to see if they can get anything out of him. We know for a fact that Becton is overly sensitive to negative criticism, and I’d imagine that any type of hard coaching would literally put him on the IR.

Exactly. Like some rando reporter would even have ANY notion of what Bectons attitude is like from 5 minutes of a post practice interview. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hey check it out the mayor of somber town with the hot take 

• Haha 3

Cimini making amends.
No room for him in picking off easy negative low hanging fruit since Connor's ascendance in that regard ... good to see really ... when cimini applies himself... he is a really good read.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Interesting take.  
Funny you believe that was the best thing he said about Becton, not that he proved all of you wrong, made the countless fat, lazy, uninspired jokes look foolish by showing up in top shape 

Read it again, my friend. It specifically states that he “showed up in much better shape than minicamp,” when he weighed 397 pounds and was sweating butter 

4 hours ago, IndianaJet said:
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Yeah it was.  Just go back two weeks ago when the Jets put Becton, Lawson and a few others on the pup list 5 days before camp officially started.  

There were posters in that thread who wanted to cut him outright. 

The Athletic’s draft guy Dane Brugler reported that he heard from people this offseason that Becton might never take another snap in a Jets uniform, which is where a lot of that sentiment emanated from. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Yeah it was.  Just go back two weeks ago when the Jets put Becton, Lawson and a few others on the pup list 5 days before camp officially started.  

There were posters in that thread who wanted to cut him outright. 

Sure. Like 5 people. 

There are also 5 people that still believe we should have stuck with Darnold roaming around the board. Doesnt mean it's some widely thought belief. 

It was being made out to be 25% of the fan base. Which is just dumb. 

• Upvote 1