Zach's surgery is a success

thshadow

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Right, so, I’m clearly not a fan of Flacco, nor do I want to see Flacco start 17 games. The hypothetical was that Flacco plays steady, solid football for the next six weeks, gets the ball into the hands of the young playmakers, and the offense is efficient with a few deep balls mixed into it. Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore are putting up numbers, and the OL looks competent because Flacco isn’t holding onto the ball trying to scramble. Basically, it’s running as designed—not setting the league on fire, but the chains move, the defense isn’t overly compromised, and everything appears to be more coherent. 

On the flip side, Wilson has upside that, really, is basically folklore at this point, and his mobility is probably compromised for a good spell even if he’s declared healthy enough to play. 

If Saleh and LaFleur think Flacco can be a Honda Civic for 17 games, maybe they prefer that to trying to build a Porsche in their garage out of pieces that don’t yet appear to fit together. 

And what if someone would send you a bunch of picks for that as-yet unbuilt Porsche kit? 

So Joe Flacco is going to receive better pass protection than Zach Wilson would? Because if it's the same, and Joe being the least mobile quarterback on the planet, he will have a harder time "getting the ball in the hands of playmakers" than a mobile Zach Wilson would. I'm not sure Flacco can hand off the ball better than Zach.

Zach Wilson's upside is he had a pretty good college career and then comparable stats to most 1st year rookie starters in the NFL. He did show "flashes" of being able of making difficult or wow plays. And yes he made quite a lot of "dammit Zach" plays. Kid playing a man's game.

This analogy doesn't work as the problem hasn't been the Porsche not getting them the ball, but them holding onto such ball. Oh wait, Flacco throws a better ball... according to a rookie WR.

Yeah, cause having lots of picks is a guarantee to success. 

Most words I've ever written on the internutz, thanks for that...

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The timeline for Zach’s recovery is 2-4 weeks.  2 weeks from today is August 31st.  If zach is feeling good, he can ease back into practice the rest of that week.  Then starting Monday Sept 5th, he has a full week of practice to get ready for Baltimore.

Lets hope this is how it plays out.

I wonder if the bone bruise will make it tough to tell the meniscus is doing fine though.   I think week 3 is a good guess but I’d love week 1.  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Zach Wilson had one of the highest average times to throw in the league, and the guys around him on that list were all scrambling QBs like Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts. Joe Flacco is the opposite. For reference, Zach’s average time to throw last year was 3.05 seconds. Flacco’s was 2.3 seconds. Wilson’s would have been worse if not for the games at the end of the season where they stopped throwing downfield altogether and Zach was throwing for 140 yards per outing. Over the course of a season, that leads to a lot more sacks. 

As for drops, Zach was also the least accurate passer in terms of putting the ball on the receiver. I posted that chart earlier this week. Technically, they count as “drops,” but they were dropped because Zach’s lack of accuracy turns every catch into a circus catch. 

Do you want to play the accuracy game?  You will look foolish.  Watch every practice throw like you do when Zach is throwing it.  

Your disease (thank you @Joe W. Namath thank you) makes it tough to see, but the JN fantasy of QBs hitting baseball sized targets is just that - a fantasy. 

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Do you want to play the accuracy game?  You will look foolish.  Watch every practice throw like you do when Zach is throwing it.  

Your disease (thank you @Joe W. Namath thank you) makes it tough to see, but the JN fantasy of QBs hitting baseball sized targets is just that - a fantasy. 

“Watch every practice throw”?

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

One thing the jets can do now is play coy as to which qb will play opening day.  Since wilson and Flacco are very different qbs, i expect saleh to not give much in terms of updates on Wilson’s progress so the ravens have to prepare for both qbs. 

Should we setup odds on which poster will make a thread whining about this first?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

One thing the jets can do now is play coy as to which qb will play opening day.  Since wilson and Flacco are very different qbs, i expect saleh to not give much in terms of updates on Wilson’s progress so the ravens have to prepare for both qbs. 

Harbaugh is going to let the media know that the only QB the Ravens are game planning for is the Jets QB who can beat them.  Mike White.   Check mate.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hal N of Provo said:

All the Flacco throws that hit Twitter.  You will be surprised to see where the ball is in relation to the baseball sized “accurate ball placement” 

Is the argument here that Joe Flacco is as inaccurate as Wilson based on the tweets that you saw?

There is a zero percent chance he plays until week 2-3 at the earliest. Let him sit and see some real games. He seemed to be making some of the same mistakes in preseason he did during last season. The haters are getting to me and Im hoping we draft another QB in next years deep QB draft. It makes me sad, but this team has a lot of weapons and I hate to waste it on an experimental QB who cant stay healthy, makes bone headed hero play decisions, and take s3.5 seconds on every play to get rid of the ball.  I actually want to be wrong, but Its getting harder every day. 

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Right, so, I’m clearly not a fan of Flacco, nor do I want to see Flacco start 17 games. The hypothetical was that Flacco plays steady, solid football for the next six weeks, gets the ball into the hands of the young playmakers, and the offense is efficient with a few deep balls mixed into it. Garrett Wilson and Elijah Moore are putting up numbers, and the OL looks competent because Flacco isn’t holding onto the ball trying to scramble. Basically, it’s running as designed—not setting the league on fire, but the chains move, the defense isn’t overly compromised, and everything appears to be more coherent. 

On the flip side, Wilson has upside that, really, is basically folklore at this point, and his mobility is probably compromised for a good spell even if he’s declared healthy enough to play. 

If Saleh and LaFleur think Flacco can be a Honda Civic for 17 games, maybe they prefer that to trying to build a Porsche in their garage out of pieces that don’t yet appear to fit together. 

And what if someone would send you a bunch of picks for that as-yet unbuilt Porsche kit? 

Again with these BS hypotheticals always imagining that Flacco is going to be good or maybe the most injury prone QB in Jimmy G is somehow a replacement for Zach. Saleh and LaFleur do NOT think that Flacco is better than Zach they have made their opinion on Zach crystal clear. He is their guy. One interception in a preseason game does not change that. Just stop

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

It would be insane to consider starting Zach against Baltimore. I know that many here think it’ll be an easy win for us, but Baltimore is and will always be a tough, physical team. Fant and AVT will be playing a different position than they did at the end of last season, and it’ll be Brown’s and Tomlinson’s first ever game with the Jets. Both in the short term and long term, it would be in everyone’s best interest to let Zach continue rehab. 

Absolutely not.  Best case scenario, this is a 2 week injury.  He should sit out 6 weeks for that?  That makes zero sense.

2 weeks from today is August 31st.  If he feels good and the Drs are happy with how the knee is healing, he starts to practice.  And then has 11 days to be ready for Baltimore.  If the doctors clear him, he plays.  

There is 0 risk if he feels good, has no restrictions and the drs clear him to play Sept 11th.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Irktusk1957 said:

So Joe Flacco is going to receive better pass protection than Zach Wilson would? Because if it's the same, and Joe being the least mobile quarterback on the planet, he will have a harder time "getting the ball in the hands of playmakers" than a mobile Zach Wilson would. I'm not sure Flacco can hand off the ball better than Zach.

Zach Wilson's upside is he had a pretty good college career and then comparable stats to most 1st year rookie starters in the NFL. He did show "flashes" of being able of making difficult or wow plays. And yes he made quite a lot of "dammit Zach" plays. Kid playing a man's game.

This analogy doesn't work as the problem hasn't been the Porsche not getting them the ball, but them holding onto such ball. Oh wait, Flacco throws a better ball... according to a rookie WR.

Yeah, cause having lots of picks is a guarantee to success. 

Most words I've ever written on the internutz, thanks for that...

Joe Flacco is 6'6".   All things being the same Flacco can see over the rush and has much better angles to complete balls down the field.   Zach has to move to create throwing lanes.

I suspect Flacco based on simple experience processes much faster than Zach on where to go with the ball.   In other words he needs less time.

Zach has not yet become Aaron Rodgers even though he may have similiar talent.  He's a slow processor and a short QB by today's NFL standards.  He's not a midget QB but he's not prototypical size for the NFL.  Flacco is.  

1 hour ago, Wit said:

There is a zero percent chance he plays until week 2-3 at the earliest. Let him sit and see some real games. He seemed to be making some of the same mistakes in preseason he did during last season. The haters are getting to me and Im hoping we draft another QB in next years deep QB draft. It makes me sad, but this team has a lot of weapons and I hate to waste it on an experimental QB who cant stay healthy, makes bone headed hero play decisions, and take s3.5 seconds on every play to get rid of the ball.  I actually want to be wrong, but Its getting harder every day. 

So who are these can't miss QB's in the 2023 draft , because I don't see any. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Joe Flacco is 6'6".   All things being the same Flacco can see over the rush and has much better angles to complete balls down the field.   Zach has to move to create throwing lanes.

I suspect Flacco based on simple experience processes much faster than Zach on where to go with the ball.   In other words he needs less time.

Zach has not yet become Aaron Rodgers even though he may have similiar talent.  He's a slow processor and a short QB by today's NFL standards.  He's not a midget QB but he's not prototypical size for the NFL.  Flacco is.  

Do you even try and be remotely factual?  Zach is not short by today's NFL standards. He is the same height as Rodgers, Dak, the serial Predator, Trubisky Dalton Bridgewater and many others. He is taller than Murray Wilson Garappolo Hurts Mayfield Tua Minshew and others.

Also not a single QB in the NFL can "see over the rush". With a helmet on the best a QB can see "over" is a nice strip of air 6.5 feet over the ground. ALL QBs see around the rush. Do really tall QBs see past their shoulders better? Maybe, but 6'2" is not at all a hindrance in that area  as he is the same height as some of the best QBs in the NFL

You have no idea how fast Zach "processes". In fact LaFleur is on record stating that Zach processes too fast and absorbs too much info and they want him to process LESS. Which may have played into the clearly career ending INT Zach had in preseason.

You hate Zach. Just say that and move on and stop reminding everyone

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Wit said:

Hmm Flacco had among the lowest amount of time to throw the ball, but Zach was among the highest. Hmm, maybe because he is very elusive and extends plays? Nah that cannot be it because he sucks at everything.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Do you even try and be remotely factual?  Zach is not short by today's NFL standards. He is the same height as Rodgers, Dak, the serial Predator, Trubisky Dalton Bridgewater and many others. He is taller than Murray Wilson Garappolo Hurts Mayfield Tua Minshew and others.

Also not a single QB in the NFL can "see over the rush". With a helmet on the best a QB can see "over" is a nice strip of air 6.5 feet over the ground. ALL QBs see around the rush. Do really tall QBs see past their shoulders better? Maybe, but 6'2" is not at all a hindrance in that area  as he is the same height as some of the best QBs in the NFL

You have no idea how fast Zach "processes". In fact LaFleur is on record stating that Zach processes too fast and absorbs too much info and they want him to process LESS. Which may have played into the clearly career ending INT Zach had in preseason.

Your Love of Zach is creepy.  He's not 14 he's a grown man.  Why don't you move on and stop reminding everyone.  

The rest of your argument was drivel but not overly creepy. 

Zach was processing in a warp speed matrix in which the LB who intercepted the pass hadn't even been born yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Not exactly putting the Ravens between a rock and a hard place but sure keep them guessing.

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Lol one of the slowest passers in the league in snap-to-throw is because he processes “too fast.” That’s going on the QB excuse bingo mat.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Unless there is a setback, I dont see any scenario where Zach isn.t starting week 1.

It's being widely reported that he's likely to miss week 1 or 2....but that is entirely speculation.

I tend to agree with you.  Two weeks to rest and be ready for the Ravens prep week.

While I'm not saying any scenario - I do think it's more likely than not that he plays week 1.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Hmm Flacco had among the lowest amount of time to throw the ball, but Zach was among the highest. Hmm, maybe because he is very elusive and extends plays? Nah that cannot be it because he sucks at everything.

Zach also has one of the worst rates of pressures that turn into sacks, so he’s not very elusive at all, it would seem. He just takes worse sacks.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Zach also has one of the worst rates of pressures that turn into sacks, so he’s not very elusive at all, it would seem. He just takes worse sacks.

The org has said time and time again that they want him to remain in the pocket. They want him to be a pocket passer. Unfortunately for some reason, no matter how many assets we spend on it, our Oline doesn't give Zack any time to sit in the pocket. Whenever he does... Well you know the rest. 

47 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's being widely reported that he's likely to miss week 1 or 2....but that is entirely speculation.

I tend to agree with you.  Two weeks to rest and be ready for the Ravens prep week.

While I'm not saying any scenario - I do think it's more likely than not that he plays week 1.

I say 50% week 1.

Guaranteed he plays week 2.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

It would be insane to consider starting Zach against Baltimore. I know that many here think it’ll be an easy win for us, but Baltimore is and will always be a tough, physical team. Fant and AVT will be playing a different position than they did at the end of last season, and it’ll be Brown’s and Tomlinson’s first ever game with the Jets. Both in the short term and long term, it would be in everyone’s best interest to let Zach continue rehab. 

Don’t understand this take. I think Baltimore is going to blow the Jets doors off. But they respond and beat Cleveland week 2 (hopefully)

On 8/17/2022 at 8:09 AM, T0mShane said:

As for drops, Zach was also the least accurate passer in terms of putting the ball on the receiver. I posted that chart earlier this week. Technically, they count as “drops,” but they were dropped because Zach’s lack of accuracy turns every catch into a circus catch. 

This is true, fairly obvious, and a much bigger deal than people want to make it out to be.

• Sympathy 1