Garrett Wilson usage

Rhg1084

46 minutes ago, BigGreenFan said:

Exactly.

Got a lot of people in this forum who, presumably, have watched a lot of football but still don't seem to understand that preseason games MEAN NOTHING!!!

If anything, generally speaking, the more reps a player gets in preseason, the more questions the coaching staff has about them.  And the staff is using preseason games to evaluate the player and answer those questions.  

If you base things on reps, it would appear that Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are going to be back-ups this year since they hardly played in preseason.

So you think the depth chart means nothing? GW is not getting on the field over Corey Davis or Elijah

18 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

It is not wise to make predictions based on preseason games.  He's going to play plenty.  They love him.

I just don’t see him getting snaps. Conklin isn’t coming off the field. Neither is CD or Elijah, and Berrios is in the slot 

56 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I just don’t see him getting snaps. Conklin isn’t coming off the field. Neither is CD or Elijah, and Berrios is in the slot 

I promise you he will get snaps. He already has gotten snaps. 

The other thing to keep in mind is all of the injuries we usually have at the position 

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why would you hand anyone a starting spot.  Sauce was the 4th pick and he wasnt handed a spot.  He had to beat out the 2 guys in front of him.  He did.

Wilson has 2 wrs in front of him in Davis and Moore and did not beat them out.

Wilson was never competing for the slot position.  That position wasnt open as berrios owns it.

Your first and third sentence contradict each other 

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Justin Jefferson didn't start week 1 of his rookie year. I wonder if there were vikings fans that thought  Bisi Johnson was going to start 16 weeks....

Viking fans were pissed they lost to the Packers game 1 when he didn't start. 

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Viking fans were pissed they lost to the Packers game 1 when he didn't start. 

The dynasty community was flipping out that Bisi Johnson was ahead of Justin Jefferson on the 2020 preseason depth chart. 

It doesn’t mean sh*t.

On 8/28/2022 at 7:04 PM, Rhg1084 said:

So you think the depth chart means nothing? GW is not getting on the field over Corey Davis or Elijah

Yes he will. Davis is always nicked up and has too many drops for a veteran of his tenure. 

On 8/28/2022 at 7:15 PM, Ghost420 said:

Going off history Davis won't play a full season. 

Exactly. Wilson will seize that opportunity and literally fly away with it to establish himself as a starter. 

On 8/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

If any of those receivers had corey davis and elijah moore in front of them, no they would not start.

Again, wilson is going to rotate in with davis and moore.  Any when guys start getting nicked up. he will play even more.

And olave is not starting.  He behind landry and michael thomas.

Corey Davis is a nice 4 or 5.  He's been in the league for 5 years.  Never had more than 65 receptions and had one season over 900 yards.  Top 20 NFL WR are putting up  90 plus receptions and 1,000 yards every year in the NFL in today's game.  

WR production today is off the charts league wide.   Wilson has a chance to be a 90 plus 1,000 yards plus WR on a consistent basis.  That's why he was taken in the top 10.   Last year Chase and Waddle both killed it.  Wilson comes from a big time program.  He's got A plus talent.  He should be starting on the Jets right now.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Corey Davis is a nice 4 or 5.  He's been in the league for 5 years.  Never had more than 65 receptions and had one season over 900 yards.  Top 20 NFL WR are putting up  90 plus receptions and 1,000 yards every year in the NFL in today's game.  

WR production today is off the charts league wide.   Wilson has a chance to be a 90 plus 1,000 yards plus WR on a consistent basis.  That's why he was taken in the top 10.   Last year Chase and Waddle both killed it.  Wilson comes from a big time program.  He's got A plus talent.  He should be starting on the Jets right now.  

Well the coaching staff doesnt feel this way and neither do I.  We have the luxury of bringing Wilson along slowly in year one and thats a great thing.  Another blessing that jet fans want to turn into a negative.  Unreal........

Garrett Wilson will be getting more snaps than Davis by the end of the year, regardless of whether he is the official starter. If the Jets actually keep Mims, they may be eyeing him as the 4th receiver next year to fill the "big wr" spot Davis currently occupies. 

I don't think Davis is on the team in 2023. Too much $$$ for mediocre results. 

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Garrett Wilson will be getting more snaps than Davis by the end of the year, regardless of whether he is the official starter. If the Jets actually keep Mims, they may be eyeing him as the 4th receiver next year to fill the "big wr" spot Davis currently occupies. 

I don't think Davis is on the team in 2023. Too much $$$ for mediocre results. 

I do not think this is set in stone.  He is in year 2 of a 3 year contract.  If Davis balls out this year, they might decide to let him finish out his contract.  If Davis has another year like last year, yes then he is gone.

On 8/28/2022 at 7:04 PM, Rhg1084 said:

Do you honestly believe this?   This is a staff that loves to rotate guys.  First of all, Davis is not all that.  I think he is a fairly solid starter, but the kind you are always looking to upgrade.  A two or three level WR with some #1 traits.  Second, neither he, nor Moore is particularly durable.  Even when those guys were healthy Cole got on the field.  Mims played a quarter of the team's snaps from the doghouse.  Jeff Smith played 20%.  Wilson is going to see the field over those guys even if he isn't very good.  If he produces the way he should he will soon see the field as much as anyone.  If he doesn't, we've probably made a mistake.  Again.  

24 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Well the coaching staff doesnt feel this way and neither do I.  We have the luxury of bringing Wilson along slowly in year one and thats a great thing.  Another blessing that jet fans want to turn into a negative.  Unreal........

Why is it a luxury to hold back Wilson who played and produced for 3 years at one of the big time College programs and throw Wilson who had one good year on a second rate program into the fire?  

Unreal that a team that lacks talent can't get A plus talent onto the field.   It's not a blessing or a dissaster.  It's not an act of god.  It's an act of management that to date has proven zero. 

14 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I do not think this is set in stone.  He is in year 2 of a 3 year contract.  If Davis balls out this year, they might decide to let him finish out his contract.  If Davis has another year like last year, yes then he is gone.

That will be interesting.  I would assume that if he were truly a "vet stud" he would ball out.  I think he will be due about $11M.  I think the real question will be where that sits with WR contracts next offseason.  There are like 14 guys getting over $20M per now.  Tyreek Hill is getting $30M.  Davis APY is barely in the top 30.  He might actually be a bargain by next offseason.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why is it a luxury to hold back Wilson who played and produced for 3 years at one of the big time College programs and throw Wilson who had one good year on a second rate program into the fire?  

Unreal that a team that lacks talent can't get A plus talent onto the field.   It's not a blessing or a dissaster.  It's not an act of god.  It's an act of management that to date has proven zero. 

No one is holding him back.  He will be organically getting the playing time he deserves.  There is more to wr then just catching passes.  Davis provides size wilson does not and is an elite blocker in the run game which wilson is not.

Most rookies need to grow into their role and garrett wilson will be one of those. 

Garrett Wilson is a stud and will be a top receiver in this league.  It just wont happen in year 1 unless their is an injury to davis or moore.  And that is ok.

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

This offense takes time to learn.  Particularly for a WR, it's nuanced and precise timing is required.  Wilson is almost certainly not playing at full speed right, as it's natural to just be thinking too much.

The Jets are lucky enough to have quality talent that can hold down the fort until Wilson is ready to play at full speed. 

With that said, he'll still get plenty of playing and touches.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That will be interesting.  I would assume that if he were truly a "vet stud" he would ball out.  I think he will be due about $11M.  I think the real question will be where that sits with WR contracts next offseason.  There are like 14 guys getting over $20M per now.  Tyreek Hill is getting $30M.  Davis APY is barely in the top 30.  He might actually be a bargain by next offseason.

Completely agree.  If he stays healthy and catches 65 balls, 900 yards and 8 tds, he is a shoe in to come back.

If he cant stay healthy again though, they probably go in another direction and cut him.

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This offense takes time to learn.  Particularly for a WR, it's nuanced and precise timing is required.  Wilson is almost certainly not playing at full speed right, as it's natural to just be thinking too much.

The Jets are lucky enough to have quality talent that can hold down the fort until Wilson is ready to play at full speed. 

With that said, he'll still get plenty of playing and touches.

Corey Davis is an amazingly talented athlete.  He's also a drop machine.  He lacks concentration and has dropped lots of balls throughout both College and the pro game.  That's a drive killing machine.  That's why the Titans let him walk and he isn't a 20 million dollar WR.

Garrett Wilson has absurd body control and ability to adjust to inaccurate passes.   That's exactly what Zach and this offense needs.  When Zach isn't perfect with his throws Wilson will make the catch, Davis won't.  

Wilson is exactly the kind of WR Zach needs to take the next step.  Zach is a big play QB who isn't deadly accurate.  Corey Davis drops to many passes that aren't perfect.  Wilson has great tracking and adjustment ability both with his tracking and body control.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

So it turns out I was spot on about this. Wilson only had 4 snaps in the first half… lol unbelievable 

This is the problem with this CS. It's the same story that happened last year with Mims. Your player is supremely talented and can make impact plays but he's limited on snaps because of bs excuses. Get your talent on the field and let them make plays.

Not saying Mims is as talented as Wilson but that he is a talented receiver who should see the field. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

This is the problem with this CS. It's the same story that happened last year with Mims. Your player is supremely talented and can make impact plays but he's limited on snaps because of bs excuses. Get your talent on the field and let them make plays.

Not saying Mims is as talented as Wilson but that he is a talented receiver who should see the field. 

Wilson seeing only 4 snaps first half with such an enemic offense is embarrassing for the coaching staff. The 3 WR sets should be Davis, Elijah and Wilson. I love Berrios but I want my 3 best guys out there 

38 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Wilson seeing only 4 snaps first half with such an enemic offense is embarrassing for the coaching staff. The 3 WR sets should be Davis, Elijah and Wilson. I love Berrios but I want my 3 best guys out there 

Agreed for the most part. The only thing I will say though is Berrios brings a lot of good, versatile things to the offense and is reliable. 

I'd say theres an argument that Wilson should be eating up Davis' snaps. So more Elijah, Wilson, Berrios sets. 

Davis drops way too many balls and we saw that yesterday with a drop at the worst time. 

• Upvote 1