Sean Payton

1 hour ago, williecrystal said:

Vendetta against Kraft for the terry glenn stuff and I believe his family was still in north jersey

It helped that Leon Hess wasn’t a total moron and he also said he’d let Bill do whatever he wanted(including not drafting Peyton Manning)

There's that possibility as well - that total control is what he wants - but then that'd remove Dallas from the running.

Then again Parcells didn't get that control from Dallas either. Only thing I remember, which I have to admit was pretty funny, was he had all the rookie/camp players' helmets made without stars on them until they made the team to "earn" their stars or something. Then again every scrub veteran he picked up didn't have to earn that helmet star, so there's that, lol.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

With Dak’s injury last night, McCarthy’s a dead man walking. We need to offer Payton a blank contract before Jerry does, and let him have complete control of this franchise.

Give Sean Payton a % of the Qtips revenue. Woody you cheapskate. Woody just doesn’t realize how a SB win would escalate the worth of this franchise. Dumb and cheap. And Clueless. And and and ….

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

The only reason Parcells came here was because it facilitated his vendetta ride against Robert Kraft.

As cameras followed him and Belichick as they toured the old Giants stadium years later, the host asked if they wanted to go into the Jets locker room for old time’s sake. They both looked at him like he asked if they wanted to climb inside the cockpit of a Japanese Zero during the Battle of Midway.

Bingo!  Neither BP nor BB wanted anything to do with the Jets. Meanwhile BB (and probably BP too) has absolute reverence for the Giants.  We are a leper of an organization.

• Upvote 1

Payton isn’t happening but I think they could have had one of his top lieutenants, Dan Campbell.

Disagree with me all you want, but I can’t put into words how much better I’d feel about the direction of the franchise with him compared to this mess with BS.

Campbell isn’t eloquent or book smart.

But unlike BS, he’s an authentic leader, a good coach, and the team is legit turning around with him at the helm.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

nobody like Peyton coming to work for Woody.  Plus Jets are a hard sell for any coach like that because FAs dont want to come here.

I don't think teams win due to FA though anyway.  You build through the draft.  And offense wins championships.  If the current regime doesn't turn things around this year then we need to go all out to bring Payton in.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think teams win due to FA though anyway.  You build through the draft.  And offense wins championships.  If the current regime doesn't turn things around this year then we need to go all out to bring Payton in.

One thing is that Payton would not play flacco in this offense.  

32 minutes ago, jgb said:

Tampa Bay also went heavy on FA in their SB year.

It all comes down to the football truism -- there are 100 roads to a championship and 95 of them start with a good QB.

it is almost kinda mathematically impossible to win with the draft - in most years you only get one 1st rounder who is suppose to be a starter unless he picked after 15 or so and you have > 22 positions to fill and you have 3/4 years to do it

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'm all out of ****s to give. Give Payton whatever he wants to come here. This team has too much talent on paper to be this bad. The training camps are bad, the practices that we've seen are bad, the in-game decision making is bad, the weird decisions on who plays and who doesn't is bad, and the actual games are bad.

If nothing else, Payton will at least put the talent on the field and put them in good situations to win their plays. Whether they win games or not is up in the air given that he had a top 10 all time QB and had losing seasons for like 3 years in a row, but at least the Jets will be fun to watch. At this point, that's all I want - is to be entertained. 

Nothing here you said about Saleh and the jets play yesterday is true, this is SOJF bullsh*t..

You want Payton, fine, but writing off the current coaching staff when it was the Jets that outplayed the Ravens on BOTH sides of the ball, and if not for two critical and timely turnovers, and various dropped balls including another fumble they recovered but end the drive because the fumble recovery brought the ball back behind the yard to gain first down, we are in position to win that game!

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Payton isn’t happening but I think they could have had one of his top lieutenants, Dan Campbell.

Disagree with me all you want, but I can’t put into words how much better I’d feel about the direction of the franchise with him compared to this mess with BS.

Campbell isn’t eloquent or book smart.

But unlike BS, he’s an authentic leader, a good coach, and the team is legit turning around with him at the helm.

You mean the Dan Campbell up in Detroit?  What the hell has he shown?

2 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Nothing here you said about Saleh and the jets play yesterday is true, this is SOJF bullsh*t..

You want Payton, fine, but writing off the current coaching staff when it was the Jets that outplayed the Ravens on BOTH sides of the ball, and if not for two critical and timely turnovers, and various dropped balls including another fumble they recovered but end the drive because the fumble recovery brought the ball back behind the yard to gain first down, we are in position to win that game!

wat

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, williecrystal said:

Sorry guys.  Not happening.  Not with this owner.

Yup, not happening, and it can make all the difference in the world.

Hess hires a real HC in Parcells, 2 years later after 1-15 they're almost in the SB.

Mets finally have an owner totally willing to spend, Mets finally get a real manager in Showalter and they're close to 40 games over .500, with not that much different a team than last year.

I remember when I first heard the Jets were being bought "by Johnson and Johnson" and thought "good, no more play f**kin around.  But I missed the fine print, it was the Black Sheep and stupidest of the entire clan.  They all went to Harvard and he went to Arizona.  They probably all got together and said "point him in the direction of a pro football team he will ruin, just keep him AWAY from our company".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda's, is all we ever hear about this team... Not just this year, but every year.  Not sure who is out there that can turn this thing around, but I like what JD has done for the most part, however he has failed in his attempt to put together a good OL. He has had 3 years to do that. All other accomplishments go our the window when you can't do the one thing you said you were going to do.

The only way to get Sean Payton is to make him a partner in the team!!!

But it won't happen at ALL!!!!

You can give him the money and power to run the team and he will not take the job!!! The Jets on paper are impressive as ever but there is more to this team that we don't know or hear about that is stopping this team from succeeding.

The only reason, he will take the Dallas job is if he has full control of the team and that will not happen because Jerry is too egomaniacal to let another person run the team. Bill Parcells was the last person, he let run this team and Jerry won't allow anyone else run it ever again. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AL047 said:

The only way to get Sean Payton is to make him a partner in the team!!!

But it won't happen at ALL!!!!

You can give him the money and power to run the team and he will not take the job!!! The Jets on paper are impressive as ever but there is more to this team that we don't know or hear about that is stopping this team from succeeding.

The only reason, he will take the Dallas job is if he has full control of the team and that will not happen because Jerry is too egomaniacal to let another person run the team. Bill Parcells was the last person, he let run this team and Jerry won't allow anyone else run it ever again. 

Nobody can coach up Arch Manning like Sean Payton can.  He is a must hire.

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Yup, not happening, and it can make all the difference in the world.

Hess hires a real HC in Parcells, 2 years later after 1-15 they're almost in the SB.

Mets finally have an owner totally willing to spend, Mets finally get a real manager in Showalter and they're close to 40 games over .500, with not that much different a team than last year.

I remember when I first heard the Jets were being bought "by Johnson and Johnson" and thought "good, no more play f**kin around.  But I missed the fine print, it was the Black Sheep and stupidest of the entire clan.  They all went to Harvard and he went to Arizona.  They probably all got together and said "point him in the direction of a pro football team he will ruin, just keep him AWAY from our company".

Parcells’ family was already here and he had a personal vendetta again Bob Kraft.

No one good wants to work with Woody.  He’s a terrible owner who constantly meddles in football decisions

• Upvote 2

Just remembered Payton is legally still under contract with the Saints (until '24).

The Jets would need to essentially "trade" for Payton by offering some kind of compensation.

I doubt they're dumb enough to take Zach Wilson off the Jets' hands, but you never know.

One of the highest-paid coaches in the NFL, Payton is under contract through the 2024 season. Him walking away from at least $45 million is hard to fathom, but it has not been ruled out, sources say.

Part of me thinks Sean Payton would at least entertain coming here. Simple reason is Ego. There is enough talent on this team already so it wouldn’t take him long (ala Parcells after Kotite) to get them into the conversation about a playoff and beyond team

I think he would love to resurrect the woebegone franchise into a Super Bowl winner and cement his already impressive career as Dallas right now is in shambles and a long way away from contention in my opinion. 
Wishful thinking perhaps but not out of the realm of possibility 

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Just remembered Payton is legally still under contract with the Saints (until '24).

The Jets would need to essentially "trade" for Payton by offering some kind of compensation.

I doubt they're dumb enough to take Zach Wilson off the Jets' hands, but you never know.

They can have The Strev!

14 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda's, is all we ever hear about this team... Not just this year, but every year.  Not sure who is out there that can turn this thing around, but I like what JD has done for the most part, however he has failed in his attempt to put together a good OL. He has had 3 years to do that. All other accomplishments go our the window when you can't do the one thing you said you were going to do.

It's been one game, against a very good team. 

Let's not forget we have one of the youngest teams in the league.

Many of the issues yesterday was an OL that is trying to get settled with multiple injuries at the OT position, the flip flopping of Fant, and the fact we are now starting our 4th round pick.

And yet, the Jets dominated defensively shutting down a upper Echelon Raven offense, and as said, we moved the ball offensively even despite the pressure Flacco had.

How about we all step away from the ledge, give the 10 foot SOJF pole up everyone's ass a break, and give them a chance to settle down over the first few weeks.

It's already obvious this team is MUCH better with the talent improvement, now they need the young guys grow up a little, and put it together a little bit.

9 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Many of the issues yesterday was an OL that is trying to get settled with multiple injuries at the OT position, the flip flopping of Fant, and the fact we are now starting our 4th round pick.

And yet, the Jets dominated defensively shutting down a upper Echelon Raven offense, and as said, we moved the ball offensively even despite the pressure Flacco had.

How about we all step away from the ledge, give the 10 foot SOJF pole up everyone's ass a break, and give them a chance to settle down over the first few weeks.

It's already obvious this team is MUCH better with the talent improvement, now they need the young guys grow up a little, and put it together a little bit.

Nobody is on the ledge for proclaiming that OL is the weakest part of this team time and time again. There is only one young guy on that line and he is in his 2nd year. Max Mitchell aside because he wasn't supposed to be even sniffing the field right now. As I've said I like JD and most of everything he's done. I don't like that he neglected the OL in last years draft until the 4th round. You need to be pulling at least 1 from the 1st or 2nd rounds, and then another from the 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounds that project to be good like Mitchell every year. We need a replacement for Becton and they need to cut bait with him for good. Time is over for him unless he somehow figures out he needs to do lower body training and lose 40 lbs. If he can't play at 340, then he needs to be let go, and I was a fan of drafting him for what we all thought he would bring to the line.

10 hours ago, JetsRay said:

The last place 8-9 Ravens were a very good team last year!

We heard that story last year, too.  The Bengals were young last year too.  Did they manage to win any games?

True, but many teams manage to look competent despite crappy OLs.  The Bengals almost won the SB with one.  And how did Justin Herbert perform in his rookie year despite an atrocious OL?

We didn't dominate defensively and the Ravens are not an "upper echelon" offense.  We played very well in the 1H but it wasn't the same story in the 2H when Harbaugh had a chance to make halftime adjustments.  Let's not forget that the Ravens didn't play their starters all pre-season so maybe it took them a little while to get going.  1 good half of defensive football doesn't prove anything. 

I can't believe how much these SOJ fans are overreacting, considering how much success we've had during the past decade or so.  These SOJ fans are so impatient and spoiled!

I'm amazed that we were able to improve upon last year's loaded roster but somehow it happened!

I’ve thought Payton should be the play and the reason is because he knows how to be at the top of a winning organization. He knows how it is supposed to operate from player personnel to how to run an efficient and effective practice.  He knows what a QB can and can’t do.  

I think Payton would be tempted to take on the Jets IF the jets get the 1/1 in the draft and Payton is given the no.1 spot on the team hierarchy.  He picks the GM and has final say on personnel.

Pay the man and let him take the reigns.

if not him, than someone similar, who understands how it works, what it looks like and how to evaluate a QB and what they can do.  Payton is at the top of that list.  

I can't imagine Payton learned much respect for the Jets after how things went down with Parcells.

I also suspect at this stage in his career he probably wants total control over team operations which I can't see the Johnsons agreeing to let happen.

It would also require dumping Douglas who has been the architect of all the things people think would bring Payton here. Hard to imagine many people would want to leave a solid job for a job where they might succeed but get dumped out anyway before they can get the team fully on track. That is going to lead to the same problem the team suffered for the past 10+ years where only weak candidates consider the job. Douglas is the first football guy with credentials to take an important position with the team since the 2000s. Backsliding is not ideal. As much as some people might want to work with Payton, they also work for the Johnsons and that will be a sticking point. Payton plus a lousy front office is not a recipe for success.

If the team ends on a lousy record and Payton wanted to come here and he wanted to keep Douglas (or came with a firm commitment of a better GM), then it would make sense to dump Saleh for Payton in that highly improbable scenario. 

Give Payton anything he asks for, (money, total control)  and give him the keys to Atlantic Health.  

That would be a miracle for Jets fans.  

We can dream, can't we?

I HATE Woody Johnson to the nth degree. He has never improved the Jets.  Ever.  Just making money off them and us and it's not going to change until he sells or dies.  I  prefer sell.

• Post of the Week 1